Any good alternatives for plex media server?

Any good alternatives for plex media server?

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/sxscoz.mkv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In terms of features or functionality? No, not really.

If you're looking to avoid making an account and having them overtly collect data, reverse proxy the local page on your remote server and then put it behind an auth wall of some sort.

Serviio seems to be working for me so far.

Just 22CRF fast preset HEVC + 128 vbr opus your shit and cram it in micro sd cards senpai.

Neck yourself tripfag.

well, what really do you need it for?

There's a good chance you can set up a lot of those things with just like, ssh or whatever.

I stream movies and music from my server over ssh. It may not be as fancy shmancy cool, but it gets what I need done.

That's nice, but what does it actually offer over plex? The only thing I can see via skimming is that it offers native livestream grabbing via playlist files, whereas plex has to use a plugin for this functionality.

However, it seems the source of Serviio isn't available to the public which is a pretty severe downgrade from plex.

I use MiniDLNA

How do you stream it over ssh?

No but seriously fags, HEVC + Opus does wonders and make streaming obsolete unless you're a macfag or nexuscuck.

Link related was taken with fraps and then encoded to the fast preset 22CRF HEVC + 128 vbr Opus that I mentioned.

my.mixtape.moe/sxscoz.mkv

umm, the way I usually go is using sshfs and then playing the thing as though it were on my local fs.

How does this make streaming from a remote source obsolete? The only true use of HEVC is to convert ultra high quality rips to lower file sizes for local archiving. Not a single post in this thread has absolutely anything to do with data transfer concerns, but ease of use, suite featureset, and time to viewing. If you have a decent connection, streaming is faster for the enduser.

Consider the following: you still have to store the entire file locally if you want to avoid streaming it, and which means you have to wait for the entire file to transfer. It's not saving time versus streaming it even with the severely reduced filesize. Your method also requires manual encoding of each and every file, and even with a script is more time consuming than using plex or an alternative that transcodes to a larger file/higher bitrate on the fly.

As someone else mentioned: neck yourself.

>If you have a decent connection, streaming is faster for the enduser.
No it isn't. Streaming is fucking dogshit, unstable, requires an internet connection present with you at all times, and drains phone/tablet batteries fast.

>Consider the following: you still have to store the entire file locally if you want to avoid streaming it, and which means you have to wait for the entire file to transfer.
How is this a problem on modern 100MB/s microsd cards?

>Your method also requires manual encoding of each and every file, and even with a script is more time consuming than using plex or an alternative that transcodes to a larger file/higher bitrate on the fly.
Unless you have a shit computer you should easily be able to transcode all of your shit with a simple script in 1 or 2 nights. This beats having to deal with all the problems that streaming brings.

Shit you don't even need a script, staxrip will baby you through encoding multiple files automatically.

>As someone else mentioned: neck yourself.
Are you going to be signing this same tune when budget 1TB 300MB/s microsd cards and budget CPUs capable of doing 100+ FPS of fast preset 22 CRF 4K HEVC

Anyway streaming is fucking dogshit and only used by retards that can't even use ffmpeg.

>which means you have to wait for the entire file to transfer
ummm, no.

For an awful lot of file formats for various types of media (mp3,ogg,mp4,mkv to name a few), you don't need the whole file to dl to access it. You can start downloading, and if you have decent rates, effectivley stream the whole thing.

There really is no difference b etween downloading and streaming, except that streaming implies that you don't keep things.

>Streaming requires a internet connection
Lel

Point being you are fucked for those times you are without internet and eternally tormented by times where network speeds are dogshit or unstable.

Sftp

But i use ffmpeg and i stream too.

emby

^

The biggest isssue I see with streaming, isnt streaming. Its DRM which streaming is used in. Certainly there are times when internet isnt accessible, but there are also times when storage is unavailable, or time for complete downloads impracticable. They fill different nice goals and both are entierly fair to use.

well, sftp is basically another way of saying ssh.

Emby is the closest thing. They appear to be on track to be very similar and feature rich at some point in the future. They're pretty close now from what I've seen. It will depend on the STB or what you use at the TV. Plex is widely supported and has built in TV apps even. You won't get that with Emby perhaps ever.

I used to use Serviio all the time. It's pretty good. It was great for adding pirate streams of sports/whatever among other things via DLNA before networks added their own apps and channels. Great way to circumvent site restrictions on web video too.

>No it isn't. Streaming is fucking dogshit, unstable, requires an internet connection present with you at all times, and drains phone/tablet batteries fast.
Try living in the first world. At home, I have a full sync gigabit connection and on the go I have access to free city wifi at over 50mbps and 4G if I somehow find a dead spot. I've never once encountered a situation where it'd be hard to stream 15mbps in last 7+ years. And even that situation did arise, I could simply transcode on the fly with ffmpeg, plex, or whichever suite/toolset I would be using at the time.

>How is this a problem on modern 100MB/s microsd cards?
Because it's on a remote server and the content isn't already converted, retard. There's transfer time, re-encode time (most content is non-HEVC from reputable releases), and then you can play the content. You cut two steps out with source to source or trivial transcoding streaming from the remote server.

>Unless you have a shit computer you should easily be able to transcode all of your shit with a simple script
>problems streaming brings
>Are you going to be signing this same tune
Again, that's not the point. I can IMMEDIATELY start watching something from the source if I'm streaming even if I'm transcoding to a lesser bitrate in the same format. I can't stream HEVC content on the fly because of the lack of a realtime transcoding solution, nor would there be a point; HEVC is all about archiving. You're comparing two things that should not be compared in this context.

>Anyway streaming is fucking dogshit and only used by retards that can't even use ffmpeg.
How do you think a suite like plex transcodes on the fly? Even if I didn't have a frontend like plex or mpv (the basis of plexplayer), I would have zero issue streaming via ffmpeg to an endpoint.

Depends on how you're transferring the file. For instance, if you're torrenting something you may not get the first bits of the file first unless you force it.

hey red check your FB i sent you something... fun

lol

Is it based on Plex. Does it require a third party server?

It's a totally separate

I don't have a FB.