Hello, reposting from /vg/

Hello, reposting from /vg/
We are looking for a laptop to our daughter, we can go as far as some thousand and we could really use your help as we have no idea about what resources are optimal for this game.

She has been asking us for a computer since christmas so she can play this game since she really enjoys the Pocket Edition (upon some investigation that version is a “lite” edition with less features).

We are against spoiling her so we told her to do basic tasks in the house like helping her mom in the kitchen or just do some easy tasks like helping me organizing my office, keeping her room clean, being nice with the home helpers, helping to keep the pool clean and doing the garden. Of course, all the tasks were supervised so she didn’t get hurt.

She managed to do an acceptable job for 3 months so we want to give her a surprise, hence we don’t want to discuss the theme with her.

For more background she has an iPod that she uses for things like Netflix, Spotify and else, the thing is set up with parental controls and she’s not allowed to have any kind of social media for familiar reasons, being her age a part of this.

She wants a laptop for portability reasons, we often go in family trips to relax ourselves hence a custom build computer isn’t a possibility.

Upon checking Amazon and some basic research we have some laptops that we consider can run the game with an acceptable performance, however we are open and will be grateful for suggestions.

>amazon.com/HP-OMEN-17-BusinessGeForce/dp/B01LWQO804/ref=sr_1_56?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489467617&sr=1-56&

>amazon.com/HIDevolution-GL502VS-DS71-HID13-Titanium-i7-7700HQ-2-8-3-8GHz/dp/B06XCX1722/ref=sr_1_59?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489467617&sr=1-59&

>amazon.com/HIDevolution-Asus-G752VS-XS74K-HID7-G-SYNC-i7-7820HK/dp/B01N3678FI/ref=sr_1_66?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489467617&sr=1-66&

>amazon.com/HIDevolution-PRO-418-Compound-i7-7700HQ-2-8-3-8GHz/dp/B06XDW2K8G/ref=sr_1_90?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489467762&sr=1-90

Other urls found in this thread:

courts.ca.gov/documents/BTB_23_1A_35.pdf
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000A-016S9
youtube.com/watch?v=koMR3LTai7o
amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Wired-Controller/dp/B003ZSN600
minecraft.net/en-us/store/minecraft
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As you can see we don’t have knowledge on the topic, but we want our daughter to have fun playing her game.

Before you ask she doesn’t have any kind of console. The TV’s inside the house and her iPod are the only “smart” devices she has access to.

Other questions:

As far as i read the XBOX-ONE edition has support for controllers. Does the PC edition has support for them too?

Would this control work?
>www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Dawn-Shadow-Special/dp/B01KXINFMI/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1489468385&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=pink%2Bcontroller%2Bminecraft%2Bxbox&th=1

And there’s any way to prevent her from using voice chat or in game chat? She’s only 13 and we don’t want her to be disturbed while she plays.

Which game are you talking about? Also yes, bone controllers should work. She might need to install drivers in order for it to work, but the 360 ones worked on PCs out of the box so it might be the same with bone controllers too.

She wants to play minecraft and maybe we will get her some other games as time goes by.

We have no idea what’s so interesting about that game but she has been asking for plushies and some t-shirts since december, some google research told us that the game is-indeed kid friendly and that we shouldn’t be worried.

Buy laptop, disassemble laptop screen bezel, disconnect camera/mic.

Also, Minecraft can run on a $200 laptop with i3-2000 series no problem.

Have you considered adopting a 23yo boy?
courts.ca.gov/documents/BTB_23_1A_35.pdf

If you happen to be interested.

You want to get her a $4k laptop so she can play Minecraft? Good lord man. I know you want to spoil her and all but that's a bit much. Get her this.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000A-016S9
It has the specs she'll need for that and just about any other non-demanding game around. Put the remaining $2k towards something else for her as a graduation present or whatever.

>$200 laptop with i3-2000
Interesting, I assume this i3 thing is the processor?
I’m rusty about modern computer interns so I would assume the video game requires some “medium” grade processor?

Thanks. I’ll check this laptop. I assume the “gamer” term in laptops is some kind of catchphrase?

Get a quad core Macbook and an external thunderbolt eGPU unit. Afterwards dual boot Windows.

A $1000 laptop will play modern games like latest CoD at max settings. You absolutely don't need that for anything she would play.

$500 is probably the most you would want for a disposable machine, and at that price range anything will run Minecraft at max settings.

All these words are unnecessary, the answer is a ThinkPad T420

post her pic, maybe we can help you

> I assume the “gamer” term in laptops is some kind of catchphrase?
Yeah, they slap that on and double the price because they can. That's why you'll see a bunch of edgy red/black color schemes around those sorta items too. 9/10 times it isn't worth it.

/thread

youtube.com/watch?v=koMR3LTai7o

Okay, not idea what “eGPU” means but after looking up at Apple website I came though this computer.

>Customize your 15-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray
Touch Bar and Touch ID
3.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 2133MHz memory
1TB PCIe-based SSD
Intel Iris Graphics 550
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
Backlit Keyboard (German) & User's Guide (German)

$2,899.00

After comparing it with this guy’s suggestion I can see that it costs 1k more (can be done if the cost is justified by performance) however i notice the second one uses this NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5 while the macbook uses Intel IRIS.

Is the INTEL IRIS worth 1k?

>mactrash

Never worth it.

And I assume macbook pros are some kind of “pay for the name” thing just like the iPhones and iPod?

Ignore the Apple shills, they literally pay people to advertise their crap here, pretending to be real posters.

The thing is, if you have a discrete GPU in a laptop, the battery life would be lackluster as compared to other laptops with IGP. Therefore, it is best that you buy a thunderbolt eGPU shell and a desktop graphics card such as a GTX 1070.
A macbook will also help in her social life--people can scorn at her if she carry a Thinkpad around, it is just that the people lurking here doesn't care.

I assume this 1 Year DriveSavers Data Recovery $14.0 on the Dell computer isn’t necessary?

You assumption is correct.

Yes, you assumed correct.
The only reason you should consider a macbook is if you absolutely need to do dev work on SWIFT.

No, the IRIS isn't worth it.

If all she plays are games like Minecraft, a 500$ laptop will be more than enough to run it on max settings.

>eGPU shell
>portability

choose one and only one
Are you suggesting OP's daughter lug around a GTX 1070 alongside a eGPU shell just to play games like Minecraft, which can be played on literally anything?

Plus, if she actually needed the performance, OP would've gotten her a desktop instead.

>lackluster battery life
This isn't 2008 anymore, and I'd wager that a 4-5 hour battery life is more than adequate for a recharge period.

>social life
You do realize that people don't really give a shit about what products you use, and those that do are generally shallow and easily influenced by the current trends and meta?

That really doesn't sound like a good group to associate with, preferring brand loyalty over performance and functionality.
Even worse, just so they can tell others that they "own a macbook".

No, it shouldn't be.
You could take it though, but as long as you save your important data on a USB drive once a month or so, you shouldn't need it.

>Set up parental controls to prevent social media
Is she 7 or retarded?

Making sure everything is correct.
I appreciate all your help, has been years since I’ve bothered with computers.

>Is she 7
Must probably.

Also just get a wired Xbox remote. It will just work.
amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Wired-Controller/dp/B003ZSN600

Then a Microsoft Surface Pro will suffice. No point getting a laptop with dGPU anyway.

Looks about right.
Good luck with your purchase, OP.

See this first

Developers design their games usually specifically for 360 or XB1 controllers and sometimes it'll work with one and wont detect the other. May end up needing both if you want all games to just plug&play.

That looks about right, tell Zoey to take good care of it, you got her quite the laptop there.

I think everyone here would agree that you're buying her a laptop that costs about $1000 more than is necessary for her use case.

Thanks, just checked and looks like newegg doesn’t sell the minecraft code for pc. I assume you have to purchase it from the website?

Thanks hopefully she will like it. I’ll try to install that apple music player so she can put her music on her iPod.

I appreciate all your inputs guys

See it as an investment, mate.

Make sure to buy her the actual Minecraft here minecraft.net/en-us/store/minecraft
Minecraft: Story Mode is a spinoff game

DELET THIS NAOOOO

>Keyboard (German)

If you are from germany drive to the next mediamarkt or saturn or whatever and get literally any laptop for 400€ to 600€ and it will be more than enough to play minecraft

I don't think the xbone version of Minecraft is gonna work in a PC. Story Mode is a spin-off have like someone else said already.

Thanks, was looking for this.
I’ll note it down so she can create her account and choose her username when she wakes up.

We moved to America, however her mother insist that she should use German as her main language. However looks like the dell comes with english keyboard only so I can (hopefully) skip that discussion.

Thanks, Guess I’ll get her one of those pig plushies instead of the story mode. I was expecting it to be a DLC bonus of the main game that adds options or something like that.

If you moved to America then having her use German as her main language is a bad idea anyway