Tell me about Alaska

How's life in Alaska? Anything I should know before going?

If I wanted to start over from scratch what would be the best city - Juneau, Fairbanks or Anchorage?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vDFwavKuDFs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they will know if you are an outsider immediately

be polite

don't go anywhere alone at night (wolves or bears WILL eat you)

it's cold

enjoy jerky

>to start over from scratch
no matter where you go or what you do you'll still be you

You get paid to live there

That tells you everything desu

>don't go anywhere alone at night (wolves or bears WILL eat you)
kek. What? Even in cities?

>If I wanted to start over from scratch
I've thought about this too. Portland seems nice.

Get yourself a WEMT certificaiton, some experience in the outdoors, and a couple of internships under your belt. After that, outdoor companies will hire you very easily.
Next summer I'm going to intern for an outdoor recreation company up in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, one of America's largest, most beautiful, but least known national parks. I'll be guiding expeditions down rivers and up atop glaciers. There's barely any people there, I get a decent paycheck along with an additional stypend for my employer for food on the off days, and the company even provides housing. Can't fucking wait.

>Portland
nigga we're serving up based alaska ITT

there are no civilizations in alaska

just outposts

the land you tread is shared, and borrowed
respect your landords

youtube.com/watch?v=vDFwavKuDFs

>If I wanted to start over from scratch what would be the best city - Juneau, Fairbanks or Anchorage?

what type of skills do you have?
are you looking to go to school?
are you trying to stay away from drugs?

I heard it's very easy to get a job at a fish processing / "cannery" place even though conditions are shit you eat and sleep onsite, so I was pretty much planning on going for something like that when I get there. I can handle shitty work I've been blue-collar all my life.

(I've been warned already to avoid Kodiak Island, I would stick to the cities)

Can you see the northern lights in Anchorage? In Fairbanks? What's going on in Fairbanks man it's always appealed to me as literally the end of the road.

Not him but are you living in Alaska? Can you tell me about Juneau?

>Can you see the northern lights in Anchorage? In Fairbanks?
You can see the northern lights as far south as Massachusetts
>What's going on in Fairbanks man it's always appealed to me as literally the end of the road.
You're in Alaska dude, get out there and enjoy the incredible nature!

>what type of skills do you have?
2 years experience driving a forklift
1 year experience factory assembly line
2 years experience erecting scaffold

I'll do any shitty blue collar work, it's better than fast food. High school diploma and useless community college associates degree.
>are you looking to go to school?
Ideally I would save cash for a few years and then get into a nursing program.
>are you trying to stay away from drugs?
I don't do drugs or drink.

i live in juneau yeah. it's a disney land for tourist from may to september.

What are people like there? The locals not the tourists?

it's expensive, but wages are a bit higher than the lower 48. juneau is kind of temperate.

cost of living is tough especially if you come to ak with no job lined up. construction is always going on. mining is easy to get into and good money for folks without college ed.

>Even in cities?
If you have to ask this don't even think about coming here. Even Anchorage very frequently has problems with bears getting into dumpsters and idiots like you petting moose.

Not for much longer. Thanks Palin.

Think of the average upscale Seattle suburb.

like hipsters from 2008. trends come here really slowly. most are friendly but junos a small clicky town so its hard to make friends at first

>Not for much longer. Thanks Palin.
THE PDF IS GONE?!?!

>2 years experience driving a forklift
>1 year experience factory assembly line
>2 years experience erecting scaffold
You are fucking golden m8, they desperately need people for construction, and one of their biggest obstacles is just finding people who are wiling to drrop everything and move up there. You could probably go work in a shipyard too.

Ah. I wondered if they were more west coasty hipsterish. Not that its a problem.
Christ I hope not.

75 degrees today

>what would be the best city
Anchorage and Southeast go out the window immediately because most of the buildable area has been built on, raising land value (and rent) by a lot. You might take a look in Fairbanks. Also Willow (within commuting distance of Wasilla) had a massive forest fire last summer and there are vacant properties there all over Anchorage Craigslist.

pfd is still around it was $2,072.00 last year

CL I found a lot of places available in Anchorage for 800ish/month which seems reasonable. It's on the high end of what I could afford but people have said (not just here) that wages are higher in AK so...

The state government is in deep financial shit right now (3rd highest debt per citizen out of all the states). Palin endorsed the democrat over her own lieutenant governor who had taken over for her and fixed her mistakes, and that influenced the election enough to give us a radical leftist governor. They're not saying it outright - they're only hinting at it - but it's really only a matter of time before the PFD goes because they can't afford it anymore.

>radical leftist governor
Shouldn't he be the last of all people to axe the pfd?

i'd take the payout

Nobody is saying axe the pfd, but I think it was his suggestion that we should limit it to $1000. However he was the jackass that unilaterally expanded Medicaid even though the legislature explicitly rejected it, and that's gonna make our fiscal problems even worse.

As of this year, we also have the lowest tax burden in the nation, and there has been talk of instituting some taxes to fund dem programz.

where do you live?

>I see he doesn't have the more flags extension
I live in Alaska, that's why I know about this.

cha brah, where? a/s/l

Fuck off we're full.

Su Valley

Full, fuck, we're way overfilled.

>50% landmass of the lower 48
>full

Do you ever argue when Australia says they're full?

no because australians are too drunk on fosters

>Questioning Cold-Australia on their fullness

THEY'RE FULL

there's no dollar menu

>State government fucking with the PFD

AYYO HOLUP
*clubs seal*
SO YOU BE SAYIN'
*gnaws a chunk of whale fat*
HOLUP HOLLUP
*spills oil*
SO YOU
*sees russia from house*
BE SAYIN'
*elects dumb milf for governor*
WE
*drinks to excess*
WUZ
*fucks moose*
WELFARE QUEENZ N SHEEIT?

WE HAZ SUCH RICH HERITUJ AND SHEEEIT

the nates drink pepsi, not coke

I lived in Fairbanks and Anchorage
The only reason you'd willingly choose to live in Fairbanks rather than Anchorage is if you have a job lined up.
People are a bit more reclusive than in the rest of the country
If they aren't an aboriginal, chances are they aren't "native" Alaskans
Drugs are a real problem
Alaskan weather is shit outside of winter - mosquitoes breed like mad in all the stagnant melted snow
Fairbanks is a fairly decent sized town, but aside from it and it's surrounding communities, it's isolated. You won't be making day trips out of town.

I know more about Fairbanks than Anchorage, as I haven't lived there since I was a kid

The natives drink beer, vodka and Lysol, not those

He speaks the truth.

And coffee