Computer Science

Just signed up for college and I am majoring in Computer Science. Can you guys give me any tips on how to be successful in the field?

Other urls found in this thread:

stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks
youtube.com/watch?v=2ctRUep1QkA&list=PLDB5C1A3E0F14032F
yegor256.com/2017/01/24/career-advice.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install Gentoo.

do projects outside of schoolwork

> Be virgin
> C, Perl and Lisp
> Delete Sup Forums from your life

If you don't know SICP by heart on your first day, you might as well quit right then

>Just signed up for college and I am majoring in Computer Science. Can you guys give me any tips on how to be successful in the field?

Work out
Join a fraternity

There are millions of CS grads but you'll stand out if you're sociable and physically fit

This.
Also find friends (or study partners) early.

Make a phone app that will allow to deploy panoramas with navigation.
You can thank me later when you become a billionaire.

Study, do projects on the side and don't take programming advice from Sup Forums.

Don't suck at basic math.

This and take Adderall

>do projects outside of schoolwork
>learn languages other than the shitty ones you use in class
>program on a *nix machine of some sort
>try to get some internships while you're in school, a lot of schools let you treat an internship as a class
>some places like code.org and github let you link a linkedin account so you can have some code samples for jobs

Graduating Cs major had to Google SICP

This

People that graduate competent are the people that are actually interested in computer science outside of class. The ones that aren't still pass classes and graduate, but the jobs they get are garbage.

Always be learning, I'd your truly interested in CS it won't be a chore

*if

>Workout, get physically fit
>Eat well, cook your own meals
>Do your fucking math, git gud faggot
>Use a Linux/Mac machine for your work & productivity, do not use Windows
>Do not play video games, try to avoid associating computers with entertainment
>Make sure to always have a side-project / book to work on (e.g. learn a different programming language, developing a computer game, iOS app, scripts, etc.)
Good luck.

what do if I like programming but hate proofs

Poo in proper loo

Why is getting physically fit a priority when it relates to CS?

suck as many dicks as you can with hopes one of them will give you a job in he future, otherwise you will end up unemployed like most of us.

If you look well-adjusted and aren't socially autistic, you're automatically more likely to get a job compared to the average autist who might be more competent than you

If i want a job as a softwar engineer
I should major in cs, or something else?

CHANGE THE MAJOR ASAP!

CS is fucking hell and you'll be unemployed by the time you finish.

How hard is it to find a job? I live in Miami, so do you guys think it would be difficult?

Can you expand on that?

It is possible to not be an ultra nerd like everyone here is telling you and still do fine. You do not need to do side projects and waste your life away in front of a computer. I got an internship while I was still in school. Learned way more through that than I did in school, and now I'm all set. It's really up to you how you want things to work out.

I don't know about the Miami scene specifically, but overall software jobs are in pretty high demand. Make sure you're not retarded and it should be fairly easy to find something.

I've never had to do any proofs in comp sci

stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

funny how they're talking about how code sucks yet can't make a basic format for cellular devices

go to system or software engineering, you will still learn some proof though, in fact some problems can only be solved by proof, but it depends on what you're programming.

thank you, sir

This

I would also recommend being an IT monkey for experience, like on site support. I got my A+ cert for it and it pays well while also giving me experience (it's easy as shit but looks good on the resume).

The sole thing any CS grad should focus on is experience. Working a project counts as experience. Hell, even contributing to github projects frequently enough is experience. But you don't have to sell your soul for experience, and guess what? You can also have fun.

Suffer through the proofs, they're a means to an end and entail only two classes (at my uni). You might not hate them, you might just hate the idea of them, you won't know until you're there.

You didn't take discrete math, or algorithms?

Agreed, and you summed it up well. Experience is definitely the most important part.

Don't ignore this man's first two points.

Computers suck the life out of you. If you're going to be a lardass, at least regularly enjoy physical activity, because it will keep you sane.

Learn to love programming. It's all programming.
I can give you a link to a berkeley professor stating this fact, even though I'll get flamed on here for saying it.

I can't stress this enough, GET few pairs of programming socks as soon as you can!

>american """education"""

Does wearing programming socks during lectures improve your learning abilities,
or are they just good for actual programming?

You obviously went through a shitty CS program.

>Discrete Math
>Linear Algebra
>Data Structures & Algorithms

I would love to see it

youtube.com/watch?v=2ctRUep1QkA&list=PLDB5C1A3E0F14032F

starts at 1:40.

Lmao

Most important thing is to get a paid internship. Anything that has you coding something. Nothing else matters too much.

Don't be straight.
Don't be white.
Don't be male.

if snoozing lose();

>if snooze { lose() }
What language has curly braces, no parentheses around the if-statement, and no semicolons?

what

I want NSA lackies to fuck off

Learn ancient languages that NASA and other government facilities still use and get paid upwards of $300k a year

swift

good thing CS isn't programming!

CS = academic. Unless you're gonna waste your life on teaching and doing "research", programming is all you have left with that career.

research and teaching are a large portion of many industry jobs.

Learn at home, it's the most important thing.
Learn technologies you like (web, Android, C#...)

Make sure you know your calculus

unless you're from a top 5 CS school and unless you're in top 1% of your class, you're not gonna get those corporate research jobs. no point in deluding yourself. if you're on Sup Forums, there's a 99% chance you'll either be a code monkey or a NEET.

Im not talking about working for something like Google or Microsoft Research, any normal non menial job requires research and mentoring

Learn trending technologies such as NodeJS, ExpressJS, Angular4, Vuejs, rxjs, react... These options are just for the web ofc.

More and more company will use these in the future

Is heroku good for long-term? It's quiet pricey when it comes to databases or dedicated "dynos", anyone here that have been on heroku for a while could give feedbacks ? Thanks

just give up now and save some money

>any normal non menial job requires research and mentoring
teaching idiots is not fun. and it pays like shit. corporations pay the best to people who get shit done. and guess who those people are: code monkeys.

get out as fast as you can

>tfw when trained for java, learned js and its trending frameworks on my own and got a job for javascript

Before fooling around with haskell and other meme languages learn javascript, that's all i can say to you

Major in Statistics. At least that is going places

Why are people talking about what programming languages to learn when that has nothing to do with Computer Science?

Is it true that Sup Forums is full of fucking retards that have no idea what they're talking about?

I went to Pitt and I had to for Discrete math, and Theory of Computation

Start snorting coke it helps

Because you can't program without a language you big dumdum.

yegor256.com/2017/01/24/career-advice.html

>Delete Sup Forums from your life
whyyyy??

Computer Science has nothing to do with programming you big dumdum. Hence the argument.

Sorry your program sucks big ol dick and you didn't learn a language of any kind

>There are millions of CS grads but you'll stand out if you're sociable and physically fit
Joking?
The best way for this guy to stand out is to do his own projects and not just do class work. No fucking hiring manager thinks you're cool for being in a fraternity, actually they'll probably think the opposite considering modern day frats are now synonym as rape clubs.

Adderall doesn't help you if you're already start, you just pretty much admitted you're a retard.

>he didn't read the thread

Who's the dumdum now, dumdum

The fuck?
Not even Induction?

Here's the most helpful advice I can think of. Really really learn your powers of 2 and how to manipulate them, how the stack works/heap works, and how memory works in general. It will save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

Also, when you get to the point where you have to make big programs, ones with many different files and functions, really think it out before you even start to code. Create a design on paper and reason about it. One big reasons students make shitty programs is because they never think about what they're doing.

This advice is decent, coding from the hip leads to disaster.

Its good for small projects, free hosting but long term i think aws is better , the main argument is price

You sound like an autist. A good conversationalist would have a distinct edge over you if your skills were otherwise similar.

Leave Sup Forums.

But don't forget to actually do your homework.
Remember, CS ranks pretty low in terms of difficulty compared to other STEM majors, it's just most people don't do the work.

What should i major in if i want a software enginnering job?

Physics

So since this is kind of a college thread, I'll ask here. What are some ways I can get into a good compsci college?

If I run my own website or if I make a famous indie game, would my chances of getting into a good compsci school increase?

I was also thinking about starting a youtube channel about compsci and programming.

Guys, I need help.

I have 4 years experience with IT and information security, and currently studing and doing programming. I love it and all and want an academic degree but I suck at math and hate it. I'm a highly humanities-oriented guy.

What do?

holy shit good advice on Sup Forums

Lesbian Dance Theory

Focus on math

No seriously focus on math and algos.

I realized this way too late.

You have to understand that CS derive from math.

Everything in CS is based on math at the bottom.

Sure you do not have to know any math to code webfroms in java because there are several layers of over math that is at the bottom.

For example, if you know math and you will decide to focus on cs related filed like networks you will understand math behind routing protocols.

Thats why in best companies you have to solve math related and algos stuff.

You do not have to know everything but if you are good at math it means that you are capable to learn anything in cs in short time.

Is this accurate?

This is exactly what I fear when I lose confidence sometimes

>Webforms in Java

I don't think anyone should take advice from a guy that doesn't know the difference between Javascript and Java

This might sound crazy, but try majoring in Software Engineering. It might just work.

yeah, it's accurate.

>What is web application programming in java

why are webdevs always angry when someone says that math is important?

Holy shit you're dense

>What is spring+hibernate.

Its pretty obvious that if somebody talk about java web dev its at least spring + hibernate or server side.

This guy is right.

This guy is an idiot who doesn't understand front-end vs. back-end. He picked up on the simpleton "Java" vs "JavaScript" thing and goes around bashing people inappropriately with it.

Someone didn't get a bid....
salty?