Why can't non-Americans into highways?

Why can't non-Americans into highways?

> speed limits everywhere
disgusting

can't wait to play as germany in hoi4

>american highways
>105km max
>police breathing in your neck all time so they can ticket you for the sightliest overspeeding

pffff

what a waste of money

In the Northeast, speed limits are merely suggestions.

t. guy who's regularly driven past state troopers at 140 km/h on my way to NYC

Because non-Americans can into railway electrification.

all other countries produce nothing but faggots.

Why can't America into high speed railways?

Because of the massive distance between places.

physical rails are old and busted

>interstate
>highway

Foreigners don't know what freeways are so what else am I supposed to call them

because civilized countries have railways
and no, brazil is not civilized.

>140 km/h

Pfff, pathetic come back when youre at 220 km/h minimum.

This
Fuck highways, I wish my country had inter-state railroads.
But thanks to some faggy president our railroads just "died out".

MA resident here, can confirm. I've lived in NH & VT too, and everyone there goes 85mph despite the posted 65mph limit. As long as you go with the flow of traffic you won't be stopped.

We have a massive auto industry who's lobby regularly smashes any large scale plans for public transportation projects. Competing interests and all that.

Because they have highspeed railways. Which are superior.

I've been dreaming about designs like this since I was about 15. Glad to see better men than me are making it reality.

around here it's more like 120km, with some places being 130

>citation needed

Live in a state with an Amtrak

t. Northeasterner

Amtrak is utter shit outside of that region, and not particularly good inside it either

>t. Northeasterner
Indeed

Feels good to have options unlike you flyover shitters :^)

We're talking about what britbongs call "motorways", as opposed to two lane roads

Do you have highways in the fucking ocean?

The idea of no speed limits flies totally in the face of the idea of German efficiency.

Electrification for long range rail going through the wilderness is a fucking retarded idea on so many levels.

Hyperloop is hype. Nothing else.

What are you talking about? Speed limits are a roof on efficiency. Why is it more efficient to drive slowly?

That's what these are you double nigger.
Having driven around in the northeast and a little bit in the west I can say without a doubt that US roads are shittier: no rails on the side for protection, poor condition, low speed... At least your network is decent and you don't have as many tolls, but European roads for long distance are better

So you obviously have no fucking clue how internal combustion engines work.

Riiight...

damn, that's nice

The burning of gasoline releases gases that drive a piston. Why is that relevant?

The objective of a highway is to facilitate transportation from point A to point B. The most efficient methods of transportation are those methods that are quickest. Speed limits on highways, therefore, are a cap on efficiency. On what basis would you say that a lack of speed limits causes inefficiency?

The efficiency of ICEs drops after around 60 mph

It's a colossal waste of money both in terms of capital and operational (in this case maintenance) expenses. Electric is meant for short range or intercity. If you want zero emission long range freight going through the middle of fucking nowhere for hundreds of miles, build a damn fuel cell locomotive.

Because speeds over 60 mph significantly reduce fuel economy dipshit. In dollar terms, for every 5 mph over 60 you go, you're effectively paying ~24 cents more per gallon.

>fuel efficiency

It is more important that a German be able to drive from Munich to Berlin quickly than it is that the drive have limited environmental impact.

If you have enough gears to keep the rpms low, you could technically go as fast as you want and keep fuel efficiency. Most cars don't have 10 gears though so the rpms climb and you burn more fuel.

>moving the goalposts
the importance of the time of travel is completely unrelated to efficiency you dumb leaf

No, at higher speeds, wind and rolling resistance is the bigger killer of fuel economy. Gears matter, but not as much.

Individual drivers can balance the requirement that they reach their destination quickly with the additional fuel costs inherent in doing so.

> he thinks traffic doesn't exist

The goal posts were never set in the first place.

>The idea of no speed limits flies totally in the face of the idea of German efficiency.

Bringing up German efficiency, in a thread about transportation, alludes to speed more than it does to fuel consumption.

On an expressway with no speed limit, traffic doesn't exist. Isn't that what this thread is about? Controlled-access highways, with no traffic signals, intersections, etc?

Colossal waste of money is when you build a thousand miles long motorway and set off a handful of 15 tonne road trains consuming ocean of benzin instead of a 13 MW locomotive.

You're going to max out your transmission way before those things will have a considerable effect. After 60 is when most transmissions are in their final gear. No more gears = more rpms = more times an injector has to spray.

VL85 strong!

>yfw interstate is short for interstate highway

>no rails on the side for protection
And you've just lost all credibility in one sentence.

In lower new york (near but outside NYC) the speed limits on the highways are all 55 mph, but everybody's going about 70 all the time. You have to be going about 80 to stand out enough to get a fine, unless you're hte only person on the road

Amtrak costs nearly as much as flying and takes significantly longer.

There is no real reason to take any intercity rail, except commuter ones like NYC to White PLains or something.

It's called "a bridge" or "a tunnel". It's pretty neat.

Amtrak is fine in California.

Increasing speed limits suffer diminishing returns on increased capacity very quickly.

If each car must have a gap of for example 2 sec between them, only the time between when the front and when the back of the car passes a point will ever decrease.

Amtraks need to fucking die anyway

Taking a greyhound bus is a lot cheaper AND faster.

>being such a manlet that Greyhound is even an option

You have low-geared tranny for your engine, then. Most cars I've tested max speed on was limited by not having enough torque to increase rev anymore in the highest gear, not rev limit.

I-i've got it covered senpai!

Deutsch-Autobahn sieht überlegen.

Max out the transmission in terms of fuel efficiency. What you're talking about sounds like a governor. Maybe I'm wrong though.

poor performance desu, however hokkaido has the most dense network and that corresponds with japanese automobile usage rates.

however this does not constitute an autoroute japan