Less than 100 years ago 175cm was considered tall. Today it's below average in developed countries. Why...

Less than 100 years ago 175cm was considered tall. Today it's below average in developed countries. Why? What changed since WWII?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-Nation_Alliance
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tapwater

space jews are stealing gravity

181cm is the average here you manlet

less than 100 years were the generation that grew during poverty and war

Better nutrition. As countries get wealthier and better food, the average height increases.

nutrition

>average
you mean short

the average here is 185cm

Sanitation and medicine, actually. Nutrition is only beneficial by proxy. Low fertility also contributes to increased height.

What is "better food" though? Europeans are eating bread and cheese and sausages like they always were, but for some reason the average has increased by at least 10cm in every country

The Races of Europe, published in 1939, describes the Montenegrins as the tallest people in all of Europe with an average height of 175cm. Today their average is closer to 190

Below average literally means short, my simian friend

>It's [current year] and I'm 1.75

Food.

Does that mean that well-fed noblemen were a class of lanklets in the old days?

>she

>you will never pluck her head bare
good god deliver me from this he**ll

Nutrition, primarily. More protein in the diet. In WWII, the average American serviceman was 5'6" and 135lbs. Partly due to so much of the country having less than great access to healthy food during the depression.

Akira Kurosawa was 182cm and born in 1910. The average Japanese serviceman in WWII was 160cm

Antebellum slaves were taller than European peasants from a diet of mostly cornmeal

They still are

Gaddafi: 6'0"
Erdogan: 6'0"
Saddam: 6'1"
Assad: 6'2"

Compare that with the typical Arab or T*rk

And whose fault was that?

who is this horror house scarecrow?

what does height have to do with weight?

>tfw 178cm
>tfw gf is 170cm
>dating a girl shorter than 165cm

You guys have no idea how great it is to have sex while standing up

YOURE ALL SO TINY ITS ADORABLE

190.5cm here

This isn't about you, famalamalam, it's about humanity

Were your parents tall? What was the difference in how they raised you versus how they were raised? Diet? Lifestyle?

Without data you're not contributing anything

What do women have to do with coherence?

I'm convinced it's the inordinate amount of calcium I had when I was younger, lots of icecream, whole grain cereal with milk for breakfast from 3-12

My cousins are all 195+ cm

>ice cream
>calcium

84mg per serving

I ate yoghurt all the damn time and my cousins are also in the 190s but mom's inferior 152cm genetics fucked my shit up and I ended up 169cm. It's genes bro.

>tfw she thought she could get a tall son by marrying a tall guy

>tfw you wouldn't be considered tall even a 100 years ago

where's da 1:1 correlation tho

Kiwis and Finns aren't taller than Dutchies, Bahamians and Grease surely aren't taller than anyone

>The average adult male Plains Indian stood 172.6 centimeters tall -- about 5 feet 8 inches. The next tallest people in the world at that time were Australian men, who averaged 172 centimeters. European American men of the time averaged 171 centimeters tall, and men living in European countries were typically several centimeters shorter.

t. 1893

Before the second World War, Americans and Aussies were both giants. Now, Americans and Aussies are the same height as they were in 1893 while Europeans have skyrocketed to 180+

It's worth nothing that "Great' Britain has stayed the same shitty manlet height as its colonies

It's gotta be nutrition. Both my parents are from Philippines and I tower over them since I was born/grew up in Canada. All my cousins are tiny in the Philippines.

I'd also imagine that natural selection favours taller people so the average height has just been brought up that way.

How is your diet different? Do you drink milk or just eat more meat?

If given proper nutrition, we aren't too short.

I was born and raised for most of my growing years in Yemen and I'm only 5'9. Compare that to my younger brother who was born and raised in the U.S, who is 6'1-6'2.

Filipino diet is notoriously shitty. They just eat fried everything with rice and if there are vegetables, they've been cooked for so long that most of the nutrients are dead lol.

Probably more protein as well. But I grew up on soy milk so I wonder if I could've been taller on normal milk. It would've been nice to hit 6 feet. Lol first world problems, I guess

see:
Height is 90% genetic based on meta-analyses of over 15 million monozygotic/dizygotic twin pairs used in hundreds of longitudinal heritability studies. Nutrition is completely irrelevant aside from avoiding literal toxins and severe malnutrition.

Nutrition is the only reason millenials are much taller in here than boomers. You are talking nonsense.

>muh genetics

North/South Korea height disparity, muffugah

Fair enough, there's a Flip food cart on my street. The meat is good, but it feels like a ripoff to pay $7 for 2 sausages and a fuckton of rice

The rice is delish though

see:
Preventative care and sanitation are the only strong epigenetic effects.

Attributed as a significant reason for the trend of increasing height in parts of Europe are the egalitarian populations where proper medical care and adequate nutrition are relatively equally distributed.[9] Changes in diet (nutrition) and a general rise in quality of health care and standard of living are the cited factors in the Asian populations.

The effect of environment on height is illustrated by studies performed by anthropologist Barry Bogin and coworkers of Guatemala Mayan children living in the United States. In the early 1970s, when Bogin first visited Guatemala, he observed that Mayan Indian men averaged only 157.5 centimetres (5 ft 2 in) in height and the women averaged 142.2 centimetres (4 ft 8 in). Bogin took another series of measurements after the Guatemalan Civil War, during which up to a million Guatemalans fled to the United States. He discovered that Maya refugees, who ranged from six to twelve years old, were significantly taller than their Guatemalan counterparts.[22] By 2000, the American Maya were 10.24 cm (4.03 in) taller than the Guatemalan Maya of the same age, largely due to better nutrition and health care.[23] Bogin also noted that American Maya children had relatively longer legs, averaging 7.02 cm (2.76 in) longer than the Guatemalan Maya (a significantly lower sitting height ratio).[23][24]

>Europeans are eating bread and cheese and sausages like they always were, but for some reason the average has increased by at least 10cm in every country

There is enough sausages and cheese and bread

>born and raised for all of my growing years in the U.S.
>still 5'9"

>Nutrition is completely irrelevant aside from avoiding literal toxins and severe malnutrition
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height
armchair scientist BTFO

>proper medical care
Thanks for agreeing with me. Again, the only significance of nutrition is avoiding starvation and injesting toxins.

If you're short in the current year, you are going to have short children. Eating that one extra steak will not save you.

You should read your own link.

5'8"
I don't know why, but it feels pretty good, kind of glad i'm not taller.

Nice try

>tfw I hardly ate as a teen and fucked myself our of growth
>5'9 now and should have been at least 5'11/6

>all this quarreling between the ummah
disgusting 2bh

Always bet on kot

I'm 5'11". My mom is tiny, but her brothers are all 6' or taller. My dad says he was about my height when he was younger. He's 51 now and 5'8". I was pretty fat most of my childhood because I ate a lot, while my siblings were more picky and didn't eat as much and were thin and are now pretty short.

175 is a "consider sudoku" tier even 100 years ago

Tell that to der Fuhre--

>he actually did kill himself

Sheeeeeeeit

George Washington and Teddy Roosevelt were both notoriously sickly as children and turned out 6'2" and 5'10" respectively

> Less than 100 years ago 175cm was considered tall
Where? In the US?
Pic related. If japanese soldier's height is 150cm, them american - about 190cm.

the """""russian""""" is australian

> then
*fix

> Australia
> First World War

Women were liberated and could freely choose their partners rather than being economically dependent on them and forced into monogamy through religion. And they naturally picked taller partners for breeding. Manlets are only good for taking care of children and supporting a family monetarily, you don't want them to father children.

Wow I dress just like you

That's a picture from the Boxer Rebellion of the Eight Nation Alliance and that Russian is Australian kek

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-Nation_Alliance

>Left to right: Britain, United States, Australia, India, Germany, France, Russia, Italy, Japan
OK. Russia - Australia and Austro-Hungary is Russia.
But american soldier is higher than 175cm anyway.

>Why
people was starting, like today's North Korea (best korea)

I do not want to be high to hit his head in the door and get into bed. I have enough of its 173 cm.

this desu natural selection

What? Australian here, our average height is about 180cm. Hell I'm 186cm and one of the shortest amongst my friends, I personally don't know anyone below 176.

starving*

180 here, most people i see are shorter than me

I'm 175 and my gf is 152. Oh my children, you will suffer some serious banter.

180cm Australian here. People snicker at me in public due to my short stature. I COME FROM THE LAND DOWN UNDER!! WHERE WOMEN GLOW AND MEN PLUNDER!! nah jks, but honestly I feel shorter than my friends due to low confidence and also actually being shorter than them.

She looks like an elf

No idea but i wish i would be manlet instead of connective tissue disease.

This desu

Mostly nutrion, we eat a lot MORE than our ancestors, just take a look in italy , in 50 years our average height will reach 1,80 mt

The manlet Aquafresh country started self reporting their average height and everyone had to copy them to keep up.

>tfw i'm fucking huge for this country stantards.

feels good.

>188
>shortest among my friends
>all of the teenage faggots are as tall as me

I'm rustled

i'm 168cm.
KILL ME

How much is the worlds average?
6 feet?

5'7" apparently

> Today it's below average in developed countries
In some.

Which first world country can manlets flee to?

*185dm
Fixed it for you.

Turns out my height is average in netherlands.

Tmw i'm not below average at something non detrimental.

what's the big deal with being tall? I'm 1,87 and never kissed a girl and I'm bullied in college lol

>What changed since WWII?
The average height.

Clever girl

Try being 171 and ethnic Dutch.

I'm so sorry.

Don't fret, bro, your sacrifice will help us discover the secret of lankletism. What differences are there between how you and your adult-sized cohorts were raised?

>What changed since WWII?

Diet and nutrition

Deep thoughts from Bongland

>What caused the forest to burn down?
>Fire.

They just jelly

You should probably move desu

nutrition you uneducated troglodyte

>the average here is 185cm

Wut
The average here is 10cm less than that

W-what?