Hey, british people. What are your thoughts on the following accents?

Hey, british people. What are your thoughts on the following accents?

>Stephen Fry
youtube.com/watch?v=eJQHakkViPo

>Charles Dance
youtube.com/watch?v=d2MvYGl4dbs

>Brian Sewell
youtube.com/watch?v=u3G618-hxgA

Also, which one would fit better in a real conversation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5EFJ_rpSAa4
youtu.be/YfgDPLkMg-w
youtube.com/watch?v=ILxjxfB4zNk
youtu.be/01R_lP51Pw0
youtube.com/watch?v=E5a3uisNmFM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're all quite posh.

I hate all of the accents and people associated with em. Fucking poshos

I like Stephen Fry's and Charles Dance's accents. Not too keen on Brian.

Considering I'm from a background where that accent is pretty much the norm, it's fine

Charles Dance doesn't actually sound that posh, it's just that his voice has incredible weight and gravitas

Brian Sewell and Stephen Fry's accents are more posh, but are probably affected. No one is brought up to speak like Brian Sewell nowadays. It sounds like a gimmick he put on at university and then never dropped it. Fry is from East Anglia - his current accent is entirely a product of having studied at Cambridge. Out of the two I'd say Stephen Fry sounds more natural. Sewell sounds like he's rehearsing for the role of a Disney villain. Although I do like the way he sounds

Sewell is a rarity nowadays. I'm not well versed on this but, could you tell if there's something wrong with his voice on the following video?
youtube.com/watch?v=5EFJ_rpSAa4

Not the guy you replied to but I didin't really notice anything wrong with his voice (granted I did skip through some of it).

Just the way a lot of posh old people speak considering a lot of my relatives sound similar to him

What about this accent ?

youtu.be/YfgDPLkMg-w

1: He's genuinely from a very posh background
2: He's quite old, so he speaks in a more old-fashioned way
3: He's probably a bit of a drama queen who exaggerates the way he speaks for effect. He's an old-fashioned homosexual, or a 'queer' as he puts it, and this theatrical way of speaking can often be part of that. I have a couple of posh gay friends who speak a bit like him

video is blocked

I guess the BBC doesn't like their old stuff on YouTube.
It's John Hurt as Caligula.

Best accent coming thru lads, rest can suck my big black british willy

youtube.com/watch?v=ILxjxfB4zNk

It's not for me

Not an accent I hear often irl, it's a dramatic accent.

Thanks guys, is not that easy for a foreigner to see all those subtle details.
Now that you're all here... Is there a real difference between Fry and Dance's accent, or it's just that they both use RP on their own way?

The vid is available here.

kek

Would a kid with this accent be bullied or is it normal ?
youtu.be/01R_lP51Pw0

Not a huge difference in their accents. From the youtube video you linked, Dance's accent seemed to have the theatrical touch to it.

Would be good to have more opinions on it though

En el tiempo que te pueda llevar masterizar el inglés podrías aprender Alemán, Francés o incluso runas al mismo nivel que tienes en inglés ahora.

The way he speaks is not normal. The character clearly has a speech impediment.

Again depends on the type of school you go to, if you go to a state school in some areas, a child may get bullied. Of course people with these accents tend to be from wealthy families or areas so probably won't.

If you're getting bullied for it, you'll probably change your accent pretty quickly.

>Dance's accent seemed to have the theatrical touch to it.
I think that Dance, as well as Ian Mckellen was related to the Royal Shakespeare Company. Professional training, I guess.

Very likely

Stephen Fry and Charles Dance both come from provincial parts of the UK and probably had regional accents growing up. The thing you have to understand with British accents is that they are quite mutable, and can change depending on an individual's social status, job, or location. In the case of these two, they would both be described as speaking RP, but they speak it differently in some subtle ways, due to their different backgrounds and places of birth. Both men are seasoned actors and performers, with Charles Dance coming from a more serious Shakespearean background, and Stephen Fry mostly from a comedy background. So Fry's RP comes mostly (I'm guessing) from mingling with posh people during his time at Cambridge, whereas Dance's accent is more neutral and overtly theatrical, due to his theatre education. In both cases you can detect subtle regional influences.

I would be interested to learn more about how peoples' accents change. I haven't really experienced this myself as I've led a rather comfortable life without much upheaval. I'd be interested to know more about how the process of accent shit takes place.

Is the East Anglian accent really all that different from Estuary? I stayed in Norwich for a week once, but it was with Londoner transplants. Never noticed anyone speak differently than them though.

I'm living in Cambridge at the moment, which is in the middle of East Anglia, and I've noticed that the local accent is very, very mild. It's distinct from the estuary accent, but not by much. The home counties and East Anglia are so interconnected now that language differences will inevitably be eroded

youtube.com/watch?v=E5a3uisNmFM

Very clarifying, thank you again!

>I would be interested to learn more about how peoples' accents change
I had a curious experience. Long ago I've been in Romania for a week (speaking romanian), and when I returned to Spain I realised I wasn't able to pronounce spanish sounds as before. My mouth itself got adapted to the new sounds. This lasted for a few days until all returned to normal.