Why does the US (both people, and its government) have such a negative outlook on international travel?

Why does the US (both people, and its government) have such a negative outlook on international travel?

>hard and expensive to get passport
>OMG user THAT COUNTRY IS CRAZY
>Embassy warning to numerous countries
>90% of the population scared of flying
>Most countries are looks at with suspicion
>you must be rich to travel to X country

It just seems international travel is frowned upon here. People think I am rich/crazy for visiting other countries, when all I do is budget my money by not splurging out at bars or on frivolous shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrtle_Beach,_South_Carolina
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why leave the greatest place on earth?

You do have to be rich

We're geographically isolated so it is legitimately more expensive to travel and we have less contact with other places.

Also, we have a wide variety of climates and landscapes within the country. Drunken middle class bongs go to Spain, drunken middle class burgers go to Florida, etc.

>4 weeks free days
>the free days are paid
>plus a months salary as summer bonus
>all obligated by law
That's the difference.

I know plenty of people who will spend $1500 for 4 nights at Myrtle beach. Americans arent poor, we just spend our money on stupid shit.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrtle_Beach,_South_Carolina

Myrtle beach is literally the shittest, gimmickey place on earth.

I meant: here even a street sweeper can go on vacation because a bunch of cash gets thrown into his lap before the summer. So even if you can't save you have no excuse.

Perhaps, but I mean even the mindset here is different. "Rich" people will save up and blow ass tons of money on a boring trip to the mountains, or the beach when they could have very easily traveled Europe or Asia. However the thought of doing so is met with confusion, fear and anger.

I'm sure that will just blow over. Transatlantic flights are still quite expensive and we're still one of the first generations where it's affordable. So to older people it might look like it makes more sense to stay closer to home.

>just bought tickets from North Carolina to Budapest for $580
>friend just bought tickets from North Carolina to Wyoming for $490

He told me I must be rich for being able to afford tickets to budapest. What the fuck

Got a retour ticket to and from Rome next Wednesday for 120 euros.

I think 9/11 has alot to do with it.

Seeing the citizens of other countries here on Sup Forums has made me far less likely to ever leave the US, even for a short trip. If I want a change of scenery I'll just drive a few hundred miles in any direction.

How so? If anything, it has reinforced my idea that most people in other countries are curious, and hospitable to other foreigners.

>of course there is also a fair amount of bantz

It's made me not want to visit people from my country or anywhere else

Different strokes, I guess.
>visit people
Yeah, that wasn't likely to happen anyway. But maybe someday I'll want to see a desert or mountain or some shit like that, and it's nice to have domestic options.

you probably need more money to go abroad in the US than in France for instance.

Im at a 30 minutes care drive to belgium, 2h-3h away from luxembourg, the netherlands and germany, even by train it cost like 30€ to go to any of those places.

It would take me more than 30 minutes to drive to my city's international airport, and 3 hours to get to the next closest city in my state.

this thread is spot-on, and surprisingly free of "hurr why would you leave you can see anything here in America" posts.
t. American on vacation

And? People routinely drive 4-8 hours to vacation at a domestic place. For me it is going to take 7 hours to get from the east coast to amsterdam. It isnt a time issue.

>And?
I'm contrasting my situation with the post I quoted.

>hard and expensive to get passport
Am I being memed on?

I live in the Ardennes and the car travel time is correct, but train tickets are way more expensive than 30€, at least where I am. buses cost about 30€ though

I get that, but often times americans use the whole "WELL YOU GUYS ARE SO MUCH CLOSER IN YUROP". While this is true, it doesnt really mean that it put international travel into another realm of time needed to vacate.

Compared to most countries its true.

My employer is literally twenty times better than this

Just because it isn't mandated by the federal government doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Putting hurr in front of something doesn't make it wrong.

you're right, the fact that it's wrong makes it wrong.

did int memes from neet austists really change your views of other countries

I think Sup Forums shows that we all love some good banter, except the aussie cunts and canada. They bring too much bantz.

Change? No. Confirm suspicions? Maybe.

You must be rich to afford it.

It seems surreal to me as I first travelled with my parents to another country when I was like 5, to Croatia, and we were a middle class family in Slovakia (with an income that would not even pay rent in the US). 24 hours of car travel (now like 9 because of new highways).

But shit cost more here also.

True that. I just thought international travel would be more affordable to US citizens.

It seems lots of Americans have never heard of Norwegian Airways or other alternatives. I've heard of people paying about 2000 dollars round trip just to get to London, which is insane.

USA is the center of the world. New York is the earth's capital. That's why Aliens on invade it.

Id rather go on a trip to the mountains(which is very cheap) than travel and culturally enrich myself. Its just what i always found fun.

That's great for you, but I have literally had people green with envy at me for traveling to Asia or Europe while they sit there and tell me they paid $400 a night for a ocean front hotel room 5 hours away from their house.

But Americans regularly come to Mexico all the time. Go to Playa del Carmen in the summer and you won't hear a word of spanish.

sometimes i want a taste of real freedoms, like smoking the herb and doing model looking hookers for cheap.

You've never heard of Colorado and Nevada?

23 and nearing 30th trip off continent and 50th out of country. Was surprised to learn that most of my classmates didn't even have a passport.