Does knowing one Germanic language make the others easier to learn? Like...

Does knowing one Germanic language make the others easier to learn? Like, if I speak Dutch can I learn German or Swedish more easily?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-izf1pbMEvQ
nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_grootste_gemeenten_in_Nederland)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randstad
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes.

ICH HABE SCHEIßE IN MEIN LEDERHOSEN

no not even close to being as useful as one romance

>ICH HABE SCHEISSE IN MEINEN LEDERHOSEN
meinen (dative plural)
capitalized ß => SS

Dutch is one tricky ass language, and you won't find it anywhere. I'd start with German.

Afrikaans is easy af if you already know English.

and northern germanic languages (swedish, for example) have very different vowel phonemes.

Too bad there's no good reason to converse with a romance language-speaking person unless you're trying to get laid or communicate with your Mexican employees.

>SS

wtf, you nazi

I f you can find the rescources to learn it
There's like none available
I've tried so hard and I'll I've been able to get a hold of it an English-Afrikaans dictionary and a bible in Afrikaans
I'm sure there's plenty of rescources in SA though

that's because afrikaans is really just an accent and not a language.

Report him

Ok

You would know about forming an SS wouldn't you Heinrich

Australian makes a joke and you lardasses come to dickride on his success

Listen to and translate afrikaans music. Try jack parrow if you like rap, and fokofpolisiekar if you like rock. De la rey is a popular folk song.There's plenty more if you search on YouTube.
There are also plenty of afrikaans movies with english subtitles, like Die Wolf in die Skemer.

See if you can order afrikaans books through Amazon. There is plenty of afrikaans literature.

Do the afrikaans vocabulary courses on the website called Memrise.

I'm sure you could find grammar courses online? Try using the south african Google because I used to get stuff all the time.

>repetitive jokes
Welcome there new guy! This is Sup Forums, where we are still using Bane memes!

>SS
are you allowed to say things like this?

I do actually listen to a lot of Afrikaans music and translate it, that just slipped my mind in that moment
I listen to Jack Parow, Bittereinder, Die Heuwels Fantasties. Fokofpolisiekar, Karen Zoid, The Van Coke Kartel, and K.O.B.U.S!
Feel free to rate my taste in Afrikaans music or recommend more.

you already speak english

Not true

^
never understood why latins think we're one of them

>Holland
The fuck? I thought you guys would reeee everytime someone refers to you as such, but at the same time you used it as well?

Saffer user please come back

Pic related is for native English speakers

I'm sure your foreign services institute has put together one for native Portuguese speakers

youtube.com/watch?v=-izf1pbMEvQ

the football team is refered to as holland

It'a dialect, not really a true language.
Afrikaans is closer to Standard Dutch than some dialects in Europe.

Hollanders don't care, and there are a lot of Hollanders here.
That said, as a non-Hollander, I'm triggered.

Holland will soon be speaking Spanitalian since their royal family has been ARGIED.com

>tfw your monarch is a race mixer

dutch is complicated as fuck with the prepositional compounds, er or ERUITZIEN

He's just got god-tier taste in women. We produce A+ grade hos

You should learn German desu. The difference to scandinavian languages lies mostly in vocabulary, there aren't as many similar words as there are between German and English/Dutch. Also the pronunciation of certain vowels etc. varies a lot from German. Grammar is similar though.

Yes if you know Swedish English and German learning Dutch comes much easier. For any word there is a really large chance you will find a close resemblence in at least one of those languages. Although the pronounciation is definitely a bit trickier.

Yes Holland is one of the seven or so netherlands. But it is the one with the capital Amsterdam in it ( I think ) so maybe that is why people think they the same.

I probably should not say more as I probably am atop of my mount stupid right now.

>Yes Holland is one of the seven or so netherlands
This is indeed the case. Holland doesn't just contain Amsterdam, but also The Hague and Rotterdam. In other words, it contains the three biggest cities.
(nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_grootste_gemeenten_in_Nederland)

Of course, the Seven Netherlands don't exist anymore as only seven, since the Netherlands is now divided in twelve provinces, of which only two (North and South Holland) are actually considered Holland.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland

Lastly, Holland can also be used to refer to the Randstad, which is mostly, but not completely, in Holland.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randstad