/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 & i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless super cheap on sale
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider a locked 7700 and not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 5
>Cheap Z270 board is still worth it for faster memory in games with a locked 7700. Cheap Z270 aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 8GB, RX480 8GB, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>Vega comes in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Save money with mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA&feature=youtu.be
amazon.com/16TB-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBLWE0160JCH-NESN/dp/B01B6BN1CU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486311320&sr=8-1&keywords=my book duo
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Q7XzRG
ebay.ca/itm/ASUS-VG248QE-/162433148037?hash=item25d1c52485:g:kO4AAOSw4A5Yyicz
msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
pcpartpicker.com/list/rZMMgL
thermalbench.com/2017/02/07/hardware-labs-black-ice-nemesis-gtr-560-radiator/5/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do Ryzen 5 work on old day1 motherboards BIOSes?

I'm building a virtualization pc with proxmox not to be bound by any OS and have fun installing gentoo on VMs, also intend to play games like VR with it.
What i chose:

AMD RYZEN 7 1800X, got one for 310€ on ebay like website
Noctua NH-D15, may buy 3 Noctua NF-A4x10 for case
Kingston ValueRAM 16 Go DDR4 2400 MHz ECC
GTX 1070, trying to get one for cheap, 1080 don't go lower than 400€
Fractal Design Define R3
1 SSD either 500 or 1TB to put VMs on maybe ZFS, not sure about which file system to use for this?
Bunch of WD red HDD to stock data using probably btrfs
Still need to choosea motherboard and PSU.

Could i get some tips or advices ? Am i doing good so far ?

better off going for a 1700 and ocing it spend the saved money on better ram and GPU I would use the cooler the 1700 comes with and see what you think of it. If its not good enough go ahead and buy a standalone.

youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA&feature=youtu.be

Due to this i would be going for a 2933-3200 2x8gb kit Trident Z, Corsair LPX, Flare X etc just something that is known to work well with ryzen

How much thermal paste is enough?

What motherboard? I would avoid MSI on the AM4 platform, and be looking at x370 because most of those boards have an intel gigabit ethernet controller rather than a shitty realtek controller.

If you're buying WD Reds I hope you know about this amazon.com/16TB-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBLWE0160JCH-NESN/dp/B01B6BN1CU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486311320&sr=8-1&keywords=my book duo It contains 2x 8tb Reds inside and it's very easy to pull them out of the box and format. Much cheaper than buying them seperately. I had to ship them from overseas and still saved around $350 AUD in doing so,

What happens if I buy a ryzen CPU and install windows 7 instead of windows 10? Will my PC explode?

Will the latency between these two kits make a big difference in general performance?

Draw a happy face on the processor and apply pressure down.

No, but you might want to go for a 3200 kit instead

decent boards right now
Taichi
Gaming 5
Crosshair 6
Asus prime pro
ASRock killer/k4
gigabyte K7

best bios for cheap is from ASUS, early it was a mess now it's okay, ASRock messed something up in the last one
Gibabyte is in between.
do not even touch MSI

also only gigabyte lists ECC support officially, other work as well but not listed

barely if any, 3200 at 14/16 will though

1700 cost 370€, can't find any on reseller website now but i think people would sell it at at least 320€, so sure i'd save money on the cooler, but i'd rather have a 1800x + dh-15 for like 80€ more. Also i think i'm gonna need ECC RAM because of ZFS, not sure about this yet though.
Still thinking about which mobo, gonna need at least 8 sata, may need ECC support too.
i'm probably just gonna buy one 6TB since i got some HDDs already and am gonna switch to btrfs, i can get 8TB WD drives for 250€ locally, not sure how much i'd save in the euro/dollar conversion tho, but thanks for the idea.
Thanks, on which criteria can you tell a mobo is good or not ? Is it just about speed ?

Thanks. Theres a 3200mhz kit with 14 cas latency I'll probably end up getting.

is there any difference (with the exception of black having 5y warranty) between WD blue/green/purple/red drives, or are they just marketing names?

My local store doesn't say which models these ram kits are, what do you think i will have the best luck getting to run at 3200?

Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200 $165
Corsair Vengeance LED 2x8GB 3200 $195
G.Skill Trident Z 2x8gb 3200 $229
G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3200 $173

This is the best "Ryzen" Ram they have.

AMD Ryzen Corsair Vengeance LPX BLACK 2x8GB 2666

I just want to be 100% sure its going to run at 3200 on my system (will be a gigabyte k5 or k7) Looking at the k7 more due to the external clock generator but not sure how important it is.

>Is it just about speed ?
VRMs, features, BIOS, stability
among those you just need to decide what features and price you want and take whatever fits criteria

Keep in mind you can get the smaller Pro Duo that has 2x 6tb Reds if you want. Of course you don't have to go through amazon that was the cheapest option for me though as it costed around $750 AUD instead of paying $1300-1400 at my local stores.

The rule is always go blue for mixed usage unless you have some specific needs.

Alright. Managed to fumble through this on my phone.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Q7XzRG

What. The. Fuck. Ironically this would still cost less than my previous laptop. Will this last for a decade then? I splurged on the monitor and keyboard because they don't look like they'll ever go obsolete.

The greens have been renamed into blues and blues just got deleted from their line-up. Apart from that the big differences are not really so big anymore, of course the blacks are faster but these days i would recommend getting blues for storage and SSDs for speed.

'built' my first PC roughly 1 year ago. I decided to go full autism and went with the Raid 0 with two SSD drives meme. I've only just now decided to check their status.

>SSD 1 - Power On Hours - 2020 hours
>SSD 1 - Power On Hours - 37 hours

What did they mean by this? Like seriously if "power on hours" means what I think it means, then what the fuck. How is this even possible?

Also, what's with the other data shown here? Could someone explain it please, because I had assumed having two SSD's in Raid 0 they would carry pretty much exactly the same workload and function. Why do the "Total Host Reads/Values" differ for each SSD? What the fuck is "Total NAND Writes", and why is the value for this 15.65 TB for one drive and fucking 774.49 TB for another? 774 Terabytes? What the fuck is that shit?

Did I incorrectly set up my SSDs a year ago and my settings are all fucked, or is this program just shitty? Anything else you'd recommend?

G.Skill Trident Z 2x8gb 3200 $229 high chance

Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200 $165
middle of the road, people report 3200 with these on ASUS though
Corsair Vengeance LED 2x8GB 3200 $195 no idea, not a single report about these they might have better or worse hynix modules

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3200 $173 low chance on gigabyte for some reason if overclocker.net guys to be trusted

I'd pay $30 more for tridents if you can painlessly do so, I can't find them here really want them have to risk it with LPX

AMD Ryzen Corsair Vengeance LPX BLACK 2x8GB 2666 will work, i think it's Single rank though - not worth it at this speed

Few big issues i have with this build:

Need atleast 2666 ram (ram speed helps a lot with ryzen i would go for 16gb too.

The 1500x doesn't come with a cooler your much better off going for a 1600 and ocing it.

I would be looking at 1440p 120hz over 1080p 144hz as well.

Keyboard is just a small upgrade and not worth it IMO if you really want a mechanical one look into the 10keyless ones they are a bit cheaper.

500 series is a couple days away and is going to be faster than the 400 series (even though people though it was just going to be rebrands)

Thanks! I figured the Trident Zs was the best bet but wanted some input first.

>even though people though it was just going to be rebrands
refresh is more appropriate term in this case I think

>RX470 8GB, RX480 8GB

I just bought an RX480 4GB. From what I had researched, it seemed to me that 8GB of VRam is just a meme and not that useful. I'm only going to be playing games in 1080p as well. Did I fuck up or was choosing the 4GB version a good decision?

Also:

>Asus Radeon DUAL RX 480 GDDR5 4GB OC
>Cost me £163, brand new. Absolute cheapest I could find it ($204 / 192 euro)
>Sold my 3rd hand, 18 month old MSI R7 370 4GB for £110 ($137 / 130 euro)

1440p anything would be breaking the bank for me. Are they really that much better?

I got the same brand, only game in 1080p too and it works great for me. When I bought mine I think there was like a 50 dollar difference between the two versions and I couldn't justify it either

Well I don't think your going to be happy gaming or using a 1080p monitor in 5 or so years, I have been using mine since 2013 and I love it. The best thing about higher res screens is playing old or not not graphically intensive games. Because you will have the power to max them out easily anyway the extra resolution helps a lot.

anyone?
I wouldn't want to buy $200 board and learn later on that it won't boot to flash BIOS

If your having trouble fitting a 1440p screen into your budget look into korean monitors you can get some bargains but make sure you do your research before buying.

I have really old PC that can barely play new games with 60 fps on low settings. I want to build budget PC for gaming AND streaming. I think I can use some parts from my old PC, like 700W power supply, HDD and Nvidia GTX660. That means I need new motherboard, CPU, cpu cooler and RAM, right? Also I want to buy SSD. With all that AMD Ryzen hype it seems like a nice way to go. But I have no idea about AMD. Is Ryzen 5 will be enough for me, which CPU from that lineup is good enough? Or do I have to go for 7 lineup? What motherboards do I need for that purpose? Also I heard that Ryzen needs high frequency RAM? Thank you for advice.

Of course they will work but you are going to want to update your BIOS regardless of manafacturer, I would AVOID MSI for AM4 and get a board with dual-bios because you might have to flash it a lot.

Looking at Gaming 5 right now, any bad rep on it? will 3200 corsair LPX work on it?

Ryzen 1600 and 1700 are the most budget friendly once you do a small overclock they also both come with their own coolers. Don't forget to get RAM that is AT LEAST 2666mhz (2x8gb recommended)

Gaming 5 is a good board, better than the asus prime afaik the gaming 7 has a external clock generator and will OC marginally better but it's not really worth the premium.

I guess b350 motherboard will be enough for me? But what manufacturer is better for AM4 slots?

Alright. I guess I'll stall the purchase of the monitor for now. One last question: Will the wifi card fit on the mobo? Since the mobo is micro ATX

How the fuck do I connect my 6Gbs hard drives to my GA-Z270XP-SLI?

Doing my first build, so I’m a complete noob at this, and all I have left to do is my HDD, SSD, and my disc drive, but I’ve been stuck on this stupid part for hours. I can connect my HDD to the PSU just fine, but I just don’t see how to connect it to the motherboard. The only “SATA” connector I see is “SATA Express”, which no cord I can see connects to. I’m sure what I need are the regular “SATA” ports, but I don’t know where the hell they are. I’ve read the manual and looked at the motherboard diagram, but the SATA ports on the diagram just don’t make any sense to me (all I see is a bunch of numbered text boxes...I see no actual connector).

I know it's probably something obvious and stupid, but this is my first time, and I'm frustrated and tired, so I'd appreciate any help.

I have the same monitor.

Honestly kind of regret buying it as it was so expensive at the time, more than every other component by far, and the jump to 144 Hz did not impress me that much at the time.

I initially bought it after falling into the CS:GO 144Hz meme. I stopped playing CSGO shortly afterwards though, as I had a decent enough PC to now be able to play Arma 3 BR, pretty much the only game I've played for the past year. And it doesn't matter what build you have, you will never get consistently high FPS in Arma 3 to ever be able to have 144Hz.

So 144Hz has been useless to me in terms of gaming. You'll also rarely be able to have consistent 144Hz with modern releases and future games, unless you go full autism and go SLI 1080 Ti or some shit.
That being said, you can never go back after you're used to 144 Hz. It's such a massive improvement even just for your daily desktop use and web browsing. For that alone it's worth switching from 60Hz.

I'd suggest you look around for a different 144Hz monitor. From what I can tell, you're paying out your ass with that one, with features like 3D that you might not want anyway. It doesn't support freesync/g-sync either. And honestly, the colours are kind of shitty from my experience. I'm sure there are better value 144Hz monitors out there you could find desu senpai, although maybe there's a reason they're cheaper I don't know about.

If you're set on buying that monitor, seriously man why are you paying such a high price? Consider buying a used one. Look at this, literally took me 30 seconds to find on ebay:

ebay.ca/itm/ASUS-VG248QE-/162433148037?hash=item25d1c52485:g:kO4AAOSw4A5Yyicz

Also, if you're willing to splash out money for a 144Hz monitor, you shouldn't be holding back on a GPU. If you're that limited by your budget, at least buy an RX 480 rather than 470. It's still great value.

u mite die

How do I get 3000mhz or 2933mhz with this board?

Hey guys I'm doing my first build and I don't know anything really. Here's a list of what I'm thinking so far and their prices on MSY ($AUD):

>CPU: intel i5-7600K $314 OR i7 7700 $394
>SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250G $140
>HD: Seagate 3.5" BarraCuda 7200rpm 2TB $95
>GPU: 8G RX 480 Sapphire NITRO+ $369 OR 6G GTX 1060 MSI OC $369

I'll probably get 8gb of RAM. Here's the MSY parts list with prices: msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

So I have a bunch of questions that I'll order in priority of what I would like answered if anyone has some advice:

>480 or 1060? I intentionally picked versions with the same price for ease of comparison. If you think there is a better version please let me know.
>i5 or i7? I'll be mostly gaming so i7 seems like it might be overkill but money is not an issue (I make more than I can spend) and I would like to pursue other interests in the future (eg video editing)
>What is a good motherboard for this setup? I really have no idea what to look for in a motherboard so if you can tell me (or link me to a resource with) what I need to research I'm happy to do the leg work myself.
>Similar story with case/PSU. What calculations do I need to do to make sure I have the right PSU and cooling system?
>SSD/HD/RAM? Again what should I be looking at other than the size? I'm happy to pay a bit extra for better quality but I just don't know what attributes to be comparing or how much weight to give them.

Any advice with any of these questions would be very much appreciated. Like I said money is not a huge issue but I don't want to waste it by getting the most expensive components when the margin benefit is low. Please feel free to call me out for being a retard. I don't know much about technolo/g/y. Having said that please don't try to meme me.

What's wrong with MSI

>video editing
you will need a ryzen cpu

>Seagate
NEVER!! get a WB Blue

>480
wait for the 580 it'll be out by the end of the month

>ram
16gb min

I'm reading another thread atm on RAM so I'll have a go at answering my own question.

It seems you want the highest frequency RAM you can afford so long as its CAS is not too high. That seems pretty simple to figure out. Looking at the MSY page I could prob get something like this:
>16G Kit (8Gx2) 3000 Corsair Vengeance Black $169

Thanks mate.

What is a ryzen? I've seen it mentioned a few times lurking Sup Forums today (been a good few months since I've been here).

I waited for like 2 months for the 480 to come out and then I got swamped with other things in my life and have put off buying my computer till now. I'm ready to pull the trigger desu but I'll look into it. Thanks again.

A ryzen is a new CPU friend

>happy face
>not ensō
Corelet plz

Yeah I'm pretty shocked cause last time I was researching all this the consensus was to avoid AMD processors (at least that's the impression I got). I'm gonna go watch some comparisons or look at bench marks now and find out what its all about.

Things change, AMD is good again.

Welp, I think I just solved my own problem. As I was putting away all my parts to try again later, I saw I had some mobo cords set aside that I had completely forgotten about...which are clearly meant for connecting the hard drives to the mobo.

So yeah, like I thought, it was something stupid and obvious.

Lesson learned...always have all the fucking parts right in front of you.

For Ryzen, does it matter if I have 1, 2 or 4 sticks of memory at the same frequency?
I wanted to get 8GB and maybe upgrade to 16GB some time later, but 1x8 sticks are sold out everywhere in my city and also I've seen somewhrere that having 4 sticks installed may cause crashes at frequencies that are stable for 2 sticks.

2x8 is fine

I have:
R7 1700 OC
Prime x370 pro
16GB RAM AT 3200
290X 4Gb

Am considering getting another 290x to crossfire for 100 quid. The 290xs would be both OCed vapor-xs

Opinions?

Except 2x8@3200 costs more than R5 1600 in my country and importing cots way more.

Yeah, my problem was that I wasn't seeing the cord for it, because I had it set aside and forgotten all about it (). Thanks though. Now it should hopefully be easy sailing to the end.

2nd hand 290x are cheap but you should make sure that you have a strong power supply.
It will basically be an R9 295x2

Just got 2x8 ddr4 3200mhz for 70 euros out of Ebay. Did i do good ?

The good news is, RAM has high resale value.

Yeah I have an evga 850 gold, I've done the maths and it all works out

At least my heating bills will be low

Is this legit?

>27" 1440p 144hz supersampling 4k
vs
>28" 4k 60hz

Am I retarded for thinking the 1440p is a better option for a high-end build (2x1080Tis)?

>27" 1440p 144hz
is the better choice

4K at 28" has microscpic pixels. Everything looks really good even without AA and whatnot.

However the other screen has a good size for 1440p, has 144Hz and you'll prolly have more frames even with MSAA on, which will make it look as good as the 4K monitor.

Seems simple enough to me.

Still looking for a GPU for my new system and have a chance to get a used R9 390 for 180€ or a Fury for 260.
What is the better choice to go with the Ryzen 1600 and will my 520W psu be a problem with either of those?

Its been a long time since I looked into pc building and my 2500k is showing its age.
Whats a good cpu for 3d renderings?

Should I want something with more cores?

the 4gb 470/480 are all you need for 1080p

games will never go over 3.5gb vram at 1080p unless you add 500x SSAO or something dumb

just made a budget system for a ultra cheapskate out of warehouse returns
>rx470 - scratched to fuck £140
>g4560 - no box £50
>b250 - reboxed - £50
>8gb ram - £50
so god damn cheap they reused a 300w dell psu and old HDDs

Neither, you are better off getting a rx480 also your PSU is too weak.

yes

520w is more than enough for a gtx1080+6700k

the biggest mistake eveyone makes it 1000w psus

pcpartpicker.com/list/rZMMgL
Is this build any good?

So? A gtx 1080 founders only requires one 8pin power connector.

>also your PSU is too weak
You're too retarded.

No you are.

It's just that the cheapest new rx 480 is 250€ and even used ones are 220-230.
Is it a better idea to wait until rx 500 is out, and see if they drop in price?

You're literally retarded if you think you need a 750 W PSU for a build that draws less than 400 watts from the wall.

>less than 400 watts from the wall.
What did he mean by this?

Why is Crosshair so fucking expensive? I could get Fatality with more vrm, 5gbit and wifi for less.
Taichi is apparently "sorry sold out just now and we did not update the website yet" in every single store in my city and I really want to get new pc today.

Also how bad are MSI and Gigabyte boards?

thermalbench.com/2017/02/07/hardware-labs-black-ice-nemesis-gtr-560-radiator/5/

>The CPU, an Intel i7 4770k at 4.6 GHz and 1.3 Vcore, was held at a constant load using a custom XTU profile and the GPU, an EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified KPE under load from Unigine Heaven 4.0 at 1080p/extreme HD settings, was overclocked and overvolted such that the total system power draw was 650w as measured by a power meter.

>overclocked and overvolted

>Is it a better idea to wait until rx 500 is out, and see if they drop in price?
Yes, I'm doing the same thing. :)

Well here it is not overclocked

just an example of what may need it

I need help bros. I have Ryzen 1600 and Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 but i can't get them to work. Turns out this mobo needs f6(bios version) to work with r5 but it has f3 and i can't even update because motherboard just doesn't work right now and it has no "usb flash update" feature as far as i know. So how can i solve this problem?

HyperX Predator [HX432C16PB3K2/16]
and
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R ver.4.24(no, not recommended 4.31)
Help me out here.
Both most likely Hynix modules, both CL 16-18-18.
But HyperX is 30% more expensive and in Gaming 5 QVL list.
Corsair isn't though i'm pretty sure modules are the same, should I take a risk and get corsair?
will it work with ryzen at 3200?

how exactly it doesn't work? did you try frantically pressing del. at startup?

can't get a visual.

How much does a case fan typically draw? 10W? 20W? I can't find any numbers in the manual.

does it blink?
this is bad, I wouldn't want to get my board to learn it doesn't work
are you sure it's not just DOA? for example K7 boards with some watercooling backplates bend and do not work

>How much does a case fan typically draw?
1w? 3w?

>10w
12v*0.4a = 4.8w

are fan headers 12v? seems like a lot

Are you getting a beep code? If not plug your mobo speaker jumpers in.

To be perfectly honest, i don't know the exact details of the problem. I just saw couple of people having this problem with this motherboard. I'm buying the same mobo(it hasn't shipped yet). I just wanted to learn how to solve this problem if i encounter it. I'm scared..

Yes, fan headers are 12v
Actual power draw should be lower if you adjust rpm, and I doubt you need full 12v on case fans in a desktop.