Tfw Unity is kill

>tfw Unity is kill
Welp, looks like I'll have to move to something else. KDE most likely.

>KDE

KDE Neon seemed bretty gud when I tried it. Didn't seem too heavy either. I don't think there will be a community continuation of Unity as the type of people who use it either are noobs or have shit to do.

Unity is finally being removed?

It was a six year blunder, but at least they are finally seeing the light.

Shuttleworth will probably find a way to fuck this up too, as is his way.

If anyone else happens to be out of the loop, they're switching to GNOME in April 2018.

Nothing wrong with KDE for people who prefer not having to remember file names before uploading pictures. It's also easier to customize and it looks modern. Not my desktop setup by the way.

Kinda sad that Ubuntu is going to ship with stock Gnome.

Gnome is a much better DE with a good amount of extensions installed, but out of the box, Unity is a much more usable experience

Hope they port over the global menu as an option though

>Unity is a much more usable experience
Bull's eye. This is the reason I LOVE this DE.

Is there a reason to use Linux unironically? Not for servers and shit, as a day to day OS.

Saying you are using it because it's free means you are so poor can't afford a windows copy

>Kinda sad that Ubuntu is going to ship with stock Gnome.

Yeah it's sad they're going back to their roots and deleting that pile of shit mir

I work in web development and computer vision.

Trying to get the tools working on Windows is a fucking nightmare, so I use mint and ubuntu.

I never minded unity honestly. It had really come into it's own in the last few releases. I will say that I do look forward to using gnome again in future releases.

there will be community continuation tho, it's currently named "yunit" probably we will see a unity flavor on 2018 made by these guys, official or not

Is gnome 3 still awful?

I prefer the UNIX enviornment and standards vs the Windows environment. I do most things via my terminal because it's faster, easier, and generally more configurable to the Windows counterpart. I manage my calendars and my appointments with calcurse, manage e-mails with mutt+vim, file management with ranger, document editing with Vim+LaTeX, Music playback with Music on Console, and video playback with mpv.

On Windows, I have to jump through a lot of hoops to get things started on a new machine. On GNU/Linux or OpenBSD, it is as easy as pulling down my dotfiles from my Git server.

>Gee, I dunno, maybe I'll try KDE because ubuntu hasn't fucked that yet.
>Friendly reminder kubuntu is the reason so many people hate KDE already.

>KDE most likely.

I think you'll find that KDE is pretty heavy-weight, with lots of configurability. Consider it only if your machine is powerful enough to tolerate a heavy-weight desktop. KDE has a lot of stupid defaults, but they can be fixed with enough effort. For me, it was a good long-term investment to go with KDE. But if you're not willing to put in the extra work to tame it, it's probably not worth it -- unless you just don't care about all their stupid defaults and unnecessary junk services.

windows doesn't cost anything either so that is a dumb argument.

As for reasons to use gnu/linux for everyday use, I personally use it because it is easier.
The situations where it isn't easier is when you don't have the tools you need, but I find that mostly applies to work situations.

But maybe you find that it is just as easy on windows, maybe you like to jump through all the hoops just to get stuff done.
In that case, why wouldn't you use free software? Doesn't it make more sense to give up freedoms in certain situations than attempting to get freedoms from a situation where you don't have any?

lol I just stick it on old computers and dad computers to get better performance, less maintenance and no viruses.

>windows doesn't cost anything either so that is a dumb argument.
???

yes, but at least it won't break your shit, since 3.22 was the last major release and gnome3 officialy ended development and become "stable"

Ever heard of pirating software?

>being a cybernigger
what else to expect from a windows user?

That does not mean that Windows is free. Furthermore if Windows was that great as people who are pro-Windows and say "lol just pirate it lmao" then it would definitely be worth their money, no?

But since they'd rather commit a crime instead of paying for the software that they say is so great then perhaps the system is not that great after all if it's not worth their money?

If you know someone who goes to school, you get it for free.
If you buy a laptop, you get it for free.
It is practically free.

>pirating is a crime

Don't forget piracy

Mir has nothing to do with changing their stack back to Gnome you mouthbreather, Ubuntu Gnome was working with Mir. Mir was an Xorg replacement, and competitor to wayland. Canonical has killed both off, but if you're going to post at least use one of your chromosomes, means you have an extra and all.

if you buy a laptop you pay for the windows too you retard, the price includes the licence

You can't get most laptops without windows, you can't get a refund for not using windows.
The laptops you can get without windows cost more than the one with, so you can't even tell how much the tax is.
I know that it is a tax that goes to microsoft, but it is not one customers are aware of.

I'm not a Windows user.
At this point, at least for Microsoft's products, pirating is justified. I doubt you can tell me with a straight face that Windows 10 is worth buying.

>moving from one bloated mess to another

Welp, I'll disagree with your choice, but I'll defend your right to choose whatever shitty DE you like.

>using DE

Using a 280x, I can't get KDE or Gnome to run perfectly well. It's really sad. Only Unity passes the test.

Let me put it in that way: Windows is a commercial product as a whole. You feel like you enter a supermarket while using it, even jingles resemble shop's bells and whistles. Sup Forums calls it waporwave: music for supermarkets. Linux is made by visionaries. It has ingenious solutions, and is a piece of art. And it's free. That's why I use it.

But that doesn't mean there's a cost associated with it.

>Gnome is a much better DE with a good amount of extensions installed
yeah, dash to dock, hide topbar, and topicons are the three main ones I use. Makes gnome a very nice experience.

that's sad. I'm on intel integrated graphics and it works pretty well these days, though I'm having some sleep/wake issues.

Assuming you run Intel+Nvidia, have you considered hackintoshing?

>Didn't seem too heavy either
t.Chick KDE shill

KDE is very broken though
>HiDPI support is trash
>SDDM is trash
>KMail is trash
>KWallet was trash
Plus you cannot avoid gtk

weird mock up of Unity 8 you are using there.

Gnome is unusable and ugly if you don't use Gnome apps exclusively

>HiDPI support is trash
But how? I didn't post a screenshot of my desktop, because the one I saved was of a desktop with 4K resolution. I see nothing wrong with it.
>SDDM is trash
It's better than ever before. I'm on Antergos KDE and even though it had problems, it's as smooth and polished as it could possibly be. When was the last time you used KDE? This was fixed months ago if I recall correctly.
>KMail is trash
Who uses that honestly?
>KWallet
Why exactly?

>for people who prefer not having to remember file names before uploading pictures
what did you mean by this?

t. xfce user

>t. xfce user
Exactly that. A lack of a proper file picker. Not to mention that Xfce still has problems with a compositor and screen tearing.

thunar is fine and supports thumbnails though

dunno what you're talking about

Last used KDE in the early 2000s (honestly). Fucked me up for life, never going back.

>Last used KDE in the early 2000s (honestly). Fucked me up for life, never going back.
I think you should try KDE 5. It's far removed from what it used to be.

KDE looks good, works good and have a shitload of settings. KDE is king of DE at the moment.

> (You)
>thunar is fine and supports thumbnails though
Isn't that the issue with all GTK based distros? Can you post a screenshot? Either way, screen tearing is still an issue.

>But how?
All themes but default do not scale.
Mouse pointer doesn't scale on window titlebar if mouse size is set to resolution dependent (I believe this is related to X and not to KDE though)
Some applications in KDE don't scale well (Desktop settings is a good example)
>It's better than ever before
No it isn't. It may be on Arch for some odd reason (never tried KDE with arch), but on KDE Neon and OpenSuSE, SDDM is shit.
>This was fixed months ago if I recall correctly.
If you are talking about the scaling bug, it is not fixed anywhere else.
>Who uses that honestly?
People who want consistency (due to the gtk theme of most themes breaking a lot). There are also other reasons people want to avoid gtk and see that KMail is shit.
>Why exactly?
KWallet does not integrate with SDDM by default, unlike GDM and the Gnome Keyring. This is due to the PAM module being made by someone else IIRC. There is still no excuse for this (Although they fixed it in KDE Neon by providing the PAM module). Another problem is that it doesn't integrate well with policykit.

>Unity is kill

It isn't though.

OP here.

I used to use KDE 4, didn't really like KDE5, but I guess it's okay now.

Fug Windows.

I don't have my hopes up.

Seemed faster than Unity in a VM.

Man I just don't have time for setting all that shit up no more, I used to rice my tiling WM, set up fonts, but I need something to deploy quick now. Too old for that shit.

Fuck OS X.

It seems lighter than Unity in a VM.

I really don't like GNOME. I'd use Xfce or MATE before that.

We'll see about that, I may just go back to 16.04 and plop that bitch.

i agree

using it now and it's great. but it is heavy, one of the heaviest

KDE 3.5 was the best KDE there ever was.