TORRENTS

I am fairly new on this board, since I have only browsed normie sites for tech advice. I have a serious question to pose:
Are torrents actually dangerous?
I have read many articles saying yes, but they usually come from the MSM. I am not asking you guys to do anything. I simply want some serious advice and proof to back it up.

Yes they are EXTREMELY dangerous. Do not use them under any circumstances. Your PC will get loaded with malware and viruses if you use them.

If you live in Germany consider using a seedbox to download your torrents through FTP. You will be very easily caught torrenting shit in here and the fines are hefty too. I don't know about other countries.

How dangerous? Will they beyond the point of repair if I have a security system?

I torrent stuff in the US all the time. I've probably downloaded atleast 30,000 dollars worth in torrents

*be between they and beyond

What sort of security system are we talking about? I recommend you use Avast or AVG and be sure to install latest Windows 10 updates.

Only if you live in a freeā„¢ country like USA

Have you encountered any significantly malicious or dangerous viruses under the guise of sweet downloads and torrents? If so, which is a certain virus I should look out for? Are they beyond the help of a simple anti-virus system? I need a serious answer.

this, before i used a seedbox i was sued twice.
Get a seedbox, basically the best bang for buck you'll get on media currently.
Also
and
Are fucking with you.

Kapersky/Windows 10. I prefer not to give any more info.

if youre on a legitimate private tracker like BTN/PTP/APL you wont have any problems.

i wouldnt use open trackers like the pirate bay, demonoid or whatever they have now. moreso because youre libel to get caught.

Ive used private trackers and have 6tb+ of data seeding and never even got an isp warning.

>underage Sup Forumstard
Back to FunnyJunk with you.

>fish and bread are intellectual property

You are half-right.

Ahhh why did you tell him I was trolling him? Part of being on the internet is to learn how to differentiate real useful information from and useless or even dangerous advice. Learning how to do that is worth a lot more than just handing over correct answers every time.

As for advice on torrenting: Torrents by themselves aren't illegal. There are a lot of legitimate uses for torrents, like downloading a Linux distribution. Their use is even encouraged as content providers save on bandwidth. So now that we got that out of the way lets say a few words about using torrents to download pirated content. The amount of trouble you can get in depends on where you live. In some countries there have been cases where users got put in jail for uploading copyrighted content. But note that I said uploading, meaning person who uploaded the content first. There are just too many people downloading for law enforcement to take care of. Worst thing that can happen is that you will get a warning from your ISP. In that case you should move your activity to seedbox and download from there. When downloading avoid software as there is a greater chance that viruses will be bundled with it. Always use free/libre software alternatives, only resort to proprietary software when you absolutely require it e.g. for job. But even then your employer should provide you with the software you require. You shouldn't be using proprietary software in the first place. It doesn't respect your freedoms. Movies, series and music are generally safe to download I have yet to stumble upon a torrent where there was malicious software included with movie or music release. For torrenting always use free/libre software such as rtorrent, qbittorrent or deluge, last thing you want is someone tracking you through software.

Now go ahead and download something. If you like anime perhaps try nyaa.se or baka.bt (currently down due to maintenance). Also check /ptg/ to get information on private trackers.

Sorry on calling you out, threads like this might actually become useful though, as although (maybe even because) OPs lacks experience in lurking, his question was posed pretty constructively.
And your post is one of the most useful I've read on Sup Forums so far, so definitely thanks for that.

Torrents are safe if you don't live in a country which is cucked and punishes its own citizens for the benefits of foreign wallets in USA.

Such economic cuckoldry is truly demented.

don't download software from torrent (pirated ones. linux is ok usually). Oftentimes uploaders have put surprise into the executables.

multimedia content is usually OK. Usually computers cannot be attacked by "passive" formats, which are displayedd but not executed. There are exceptions though, PDF may contain code, but is usually OK.
Videos and photos are OK, but may contain stuff which attack thru displaying software bugs.

It's worse, Jesus destroyed the livelihood of bakers and fishermen

They can be. Most aren't. Life is a risk homes.

so what is a Sup Forums approved torrent client? Bittorrent?

Was Jesus ancap?

Can you explain the seedbox thing? I thought a seedbox was just an old computer you dedicate to torrenting?

Is this something where you buy access to a computer overseas to torrent from, and then retrieve the files directly? Do services like this exist?

Deluge

Thank you guys for helping. I really appreciate it. I am a very cautious person and I probably am going to wait to save up enough money for the software that I want/need from what I have read. Maybe I'll torrent movies but that's about it.
Note:
THIS IS OP

If I was to download Bitlord and other such torrenting software, would it take up too much memory on my computer? Do programs such as Bitlord or Deluge have the possibility of viruses themselves?

The software doesn't take up space, the files you download through it do.
Huge chance if you download from an unofficial source, obviously, but go to the real site and you're good.

>libel
you mean liable

qBittorrent