/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/JiXZ2f0t

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DfnIFpuPUP4
youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-282SdM1E
bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-thinkpad-12-5-refurbished-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/5581187.p?skuId=5581187
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How do you type \ on the t420?

Not a problem with note 2's, the battery is replaceable anyway.
>samshits
Old samsung phones (such as the Note 2 pictured) are not shit, here's why:
-Easily replaceable SIM, SD card, and battery, just pop off the back cover and remove.
-Easily repairable. You can replace the screen with just a philips screw driver and a guitar pick.
-Easily rootable and flashable
-Support for replicant, a fully free software android-based rom.
-Integrated stylus
-Super durable
-Used models are very cheap and easy to find.
-Still has specs on par with mid-tier phones today.
See the reply above this one.

nice try samshill, but you aren't convincing me to buy into your junk, Park

£50 for a sxga+ t60p? Is that the flexview ips display?

right click + F11

poorfag here wanting to upgrade my t410
currently have a i5, 6gb of ram, the 256gb disk that came with it and a caddy with the 500gb disk from my old laptop.
what should I get first?:
- more RAM
- an SSD (can only afford a small one, but it's not a problem as long as I have the caddy)
- new battery
- ???

I use this laptop mainly for music production, mainly Ableton Live, some video editing, PS and shitposting
thanks

ssd for sure.

Why am I such a cuck online?
I won't buy it if it's AMD though kek

>can you take a picture for me? I only want to know about the GPU
>pajeet: okay then I will not take a picture and just tell him about the GPU
>can you not fuck my ass on the shipping? It's okay if you want to fuck my ass though
>pajeet: okay, then I will fuck his ass

Dude. Learn to be assertive. If there's anywhere it's easy to do, it's in an online transaction. You're not doing yourself any favors.

But I'm advocating for buying samsung's old, used phones, which samsung does not make profit off anymore.

why troll mate please someone help

spilled some water on my X220 now the ThinkPad sticker on the palmrest comes off
what do?

Learn to not be such a little bitch? It's a sticker, why do you care?

I ended up buying a new Thinkpad 13 and I'm actually really impressed. It's nothing compared to older Thinkpad but definitely a step up from other modern laptops.

What's the most modern processor you can put in a T520?

>Super durable
>dies when water comes around
Actually no.
The phone is more akin to a Unibody Macbook rather than a ThinkPad.

There is no ThinkPad of phones, if it did, it would go to a Nokia.

>256
so thats the ssd?
I recommend going for more RAM first, for multiple photoshop layers & ableton live tracks it'll help
The SSD will just help loading the track samples.

What the hell?
$20 is fine for shipping.
A USPS large flat rate gameboard box costs $18 for a buyer. That will fit 14" to 17" (not thick) laptops with power cords. A $14 USPS medium flat rate box may not even fit for that laptop

When I come across 'expensive' shipping, I ask if they can ship USPS Gameboard box or FedEx ground.

Been wanting one, since I like the X300 and Chromebook Pixel.

Durable Water resistant

It's not pic related but still a ThinkPad logo
I guess I'll just put some glue on this fucker

I mean, if the seller lies about the GPU I'll just get a refund.
I'm much more assertive with chinks on ali though, and whenever I'm buying a watch

>$20 is fine for shipping.
How come some sellers will offer free shipping though?

They added the price of shipping to the final cost.

You're not going to get away from $20 shipping, that's what it costs to ship a laptop in a timely manner.
Just consider it part of the price of the laptop.

To elaborate on the whole GPU thing this is the pic they have up
I'm kinda stuck between this and T430, but the cheapest T430 on ebay right now (without waiting on auctions) is a 200 bucks with shipping and it's in pretty shit condition.

This one is in good condition and honestly after 4 thinkpads I'm ready for a change. Kinda excited about the metal palmrest too.
Just need to make sure it doesn't have discreet graphics for the obvious reasons, but I don't think it does.

Why would you give someone money for that?

ThinkPads have been known to survive 20 foot drops.
Do that with your Note II.

lmao

W-what do you mean?

this is something i couldnt be able to replicate on my X230T.

no tp-smapi+no hdaps=no axis data

plus on the x230t the udev events are unreliable for some reason. lelnovo pls

youtube.com/watch?v=DfnIFpuPUP4

holy shit are you the same xsauc from /o/?

ignore the reply please

theres only one thinktrap

>IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

hold on, why? are we apart from ##ibmthinkpad on freenode?

Yeah. I have a Prius now instead of my Civic lol

I've gotten too pigfat

Pajeet?

Oh these metal statues are in Borrego, California.

you look terrible now.
looks like someone needs to lurk on /fit/ a bit more

youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-282SdM1E

>prius

What, you stopped trapping?

>prius
>shitskin
I highly advocate for your suicide.

K, gonna livestream it rn

Yeah, I can't seem to get a perfect shave so I have a shit load of stubble, that and I don't look as good anymore :x
Gonna be tworking out.

My new L470 makes this silent crackling noise (like old PCs used to make when running but not as loud). Is this normal or should I get it replace?

Coming from MBA, X230 trackpad a shit b-but nub and nub buttons are next level. thinkpad a goat.

Bought a Thinkpad X220 recently for $110 and to my surprise it ended up coming with an i7-2640m processor. This little baby is more powerful than my curent laptop and could probably serve as my backup pc now if my main desktop ever fails.

Installed 8GB of ram in it and I might install an SSD in order to make it the fastest ultramobile laptop that I've ever owned

hello friends, looking for a thinkpad to use during uni
looking for good battery life, don't really care about anything else

I've heard good things about the x220, do you guys have any other ideas?

This wouldn't have AMD grafix right?
r-right?

>tranny
>drives a prius
coincidence?
don't think so, at least get a miata.

Nah, video bios don't say ATI

what do i do if I'm a Canadian

if that's a problem I guess you can pay a friend to buy it for you in the states and mail it to you or something

I'm in the clear then?
It's probably gonna break my back but I'm excited for the lotsa ram and nice screen

Also m-maybe girls won't make fun of my laptop anymore.
Yes it's actually happened with my X201 (rip until I have the time, and drive to overhaul it) all the fucking time.

And end up like Frolo?

when are you going to update your laptop buying guide?

how to remove computrace?

so the t450 uses a 40pin edp connector? is it possible to convert it to 50pin and put in a 14" 4k panel?

it's in the bios.
you enter the bios on start up
if your computer doesn't have the password disabled, then you can't get to the bios to disable computrace

is this good for babys first thinkpad?

could i play tf2? how high can i up grade this?

bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-thinkpad-12-5-refurbished-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/5581187.p?skuId=5581187

Anyone know the best price/storage for msata SSD for my x220?

you could get a x240 for that price on Ebay

whatever is cheapest unless you wanna be GIMPED but sata2 speeds.

Is a lenovo t430 a worthwhile investment for someone looking to try out linux and random pentesting purely out of curiosity?
It's been upgraded to 8g ram and 128gb ssd and would cost me about 315$.

I got a T420s knowing about the overheating issues, and I was wondering if any of you could give me a short explanation on how to use TPFanControl?

For me, choosing the manual option and running my fan at higher RPMs actually makes my cpu rise 20C so I'm clearly doing something wrong here

why aren't thinkpads more popular

>for someone looking to try out linux and random pentesting purely out of curiosity
t60

But that's worse in every way.
Am I missing something?

Also speaking of my X201
>Had it for 3 years, daily use outside, constantly left on all night
>Would rarely shut it down, always kept it in sleep mode
>Always just tossed it in my bag

A month ago it starting developing really loud CPU noise, somehow becoming worse than my old ass T61.

Then it started heating up so bad it would automatically shut off, so I stopped compiling software and most demanding things etc.

Then the backlight on the screen started to randomly not come on when waking up from sleep mode

The worst problem by far though is that pressure on the bottom right side of the screen bezel would toggle sleep mode, so it would turn on in my bag and naturally it would rapidly heat up.

I opened it up to see what was going on and low and behold, like 60% of the screws are completely stripped to shit.

So my question: is it worth fixing?
I would probably need a new screen cable (assuming it's not the screen dying) , new set of screws, and the heatsink is now basically stuck on the mobo due to the screw on the the very edge of the copper being to stripped to remove and too short to torque out with pliers like I did with the other screws.

Or I can just buy an X220 when they get cheap enough (I won't need one for a while). I kinda hate the *20 models because they're a total pain in the ass to take apart, and whenever I buy a thinkpad I HAVE to give it a total clean plus repaste, so yeah.

red pill me on a thinkpad

Good poverty machine, but not the only option available unlike what the autists here will tell you.

Honestly? Just get an XPS 13/15. Excellent linux support and battery life, while maintaining a build that's on par with something like a macbook.

>b-but muh spill and drop resistance!!!!11!!111

Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.

>on par with something like a macbook.
The sad thing is you're saying that as if it's a good thing.

Macbooks are perfectly fine for what the are build wise.

Not every laptop needs to be 6 pounds user. If there was a macbook type machine that could run linux natively Sup Forums would be all over it

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even apple admitted it's shit and trashed the design to go back to copying 90's laptops with solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats at the slightest task because abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz because of chronic overheating problems
>retina meme supposedly for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating makes it impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air is even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o

>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2016 and moving files around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

normies just don't understand this shit, user.

People today only care about thin and pretty looking hardware, which was previously something only women today but sadly most men are faggots now.

>"That computer looks old!"
>"Sorry, I'm looking for something more modern"

Pretty much every customer that walks into my workplace looking to buy a laptop. Thinkpads look like relics to normies

>>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>>memetouch emojibar
>>no USB-A
>>no escape
>>soldered ram
>>soldered SSD
>>tamper tape on battery screw

what the fuck?

I learn something new every fucking day on Sup Forums I swear

> today
*did

fuck off Pajeet

Testing out TF2 on my x220
Seems to run well enough at low-med settings.

thanks

yours is an x230 so it will definitely run better

At least I would die having fun?
RIP Frolo.

When I get a third request I will update the guide

which will consist of lowering numbers by five dollars (x

They are popular, but probably not in the areas where you frequent.
A lot of companies we get e-waste from usually consist of Dell equipment. I presume the person Dell equipment is really fucking good at talking to people.

If you cant remove the screws, I would probably just order a new laptop...
Try the rubber band technique, or get a bit biter for the screws

If it starts to feel its too costly & time consuming, get another laptop

I can but it just says it's enabled

So a while ago I found a broken Thinkpad T530 at my work's electronic waste.
It turned out to be a pretty powerful machine with i7 Quad core, graphics card and the best screen you could possibly get in that model. However it never turned on. Tried all my different AC adapters (including a 90W one), and of course all the "press power button for 11 times XD" memes.

The correct motherboard model would have costed me a fortune. So I decided buy just a different one without a graphics chip.

Fortunately, the pack also includes the proper cooler that doesn't have a heatpipe to the now non-existent graphics chip.

Is there anything else I should expect from changing the motherboard model?

>that wear on the trackpad sticker
Whoever last used it obviously didn't take any measure of care with it, let alone knew how to use it properly

That's true. New trackpad sticker is already in the chinese merchant's shopping cart.

The clit mouse is pretty much unused. I wonder how my boss could work like this...

Check the ultrabay for a battery, if so, remove it.
Also broken USB ports will stop powering up your system

If that is a larger 15" model it may require a 135W charger in order to even turn on.

If you plan on replacing the Motherboard then you should make sure that it works with the screen that this thinkpad has. Also make sure that it has the same ports and supports the same devices.

quad cores require the 135W power adaptor

What makes your Thinkpad comfy to you? For me it's the rubberized coating on the cover, the physical keys for the touchpad including the very useful middle key, the finger print reader, the green LED's, and the metal hinges.

Ok, my budget is limited so im torn between two options here.

This is going to be my main notebook for a while, so it has to be reliable.

Right now, i was thinking about getting the l460, buying 2 8gb hyperx impact, and a m.2 ssd for it.

Doing this, would still cost less than buying a t460.

Should i do it? What are the biggest advantages of the t460 over the l460, in a scenario where both of them have the same processor, i5 6300u.

lmao the l460 is fucking shit it will fall apart in four months.

I mean, could you ellaborate? Some websites i thrust, like notebook c heck, says the build quality it's pretty good and on-par, why would you say it's fucking shit?

But a smaller AC adapter would at least charge the battery, right?

That's only the case for the W series.

W520 uses the 170W adaptor, but quadcore T520/530 use the 135W adaptor

the heck is a thinkpad? didn't it stop production a few years ago?
is it on any chink websites?

>tfw the x220t you eyeing is gone
it needed a new screen but was an absolute steal, didn't buy it when I could.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Are all thinkpad socks the same? will I be able to slap my T470 on the same dock I use for my T420?

What does Sup Forums think of the X1 Carbon?

pure shite

r8 my build

>no dvd caddy
You fucked up