Is the 290x, dare I say, /ourgpu/?

Is the 290x, dare I say, /ourgpu/?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/XFX-AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-8GB-Alphacool-Waterblock-/222433786684?hash=item33ca163b3c:g:aDEAAOSwsW9YwHsm
geizhals.eu/his-radeon-rx-470-icooler-oc-hs-470r4scnr-a1523977.html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no

yes

maybe

AyyyMD is shit, but that was a good GPU desu.

I still keep mine as a backup card. Prices have fallen so far that it's not even worth selling, despite the fact that it still beats the 480 and 1060 in some gaymes and matches them in most others.

Anyone know where I can buy one ? I want to crossfire but I don't want to get ripped off.

the 390x is better so no

290x is a 390x

Recommended a friend of mine the 290 a year or so ago. It works perfectly and runs very well.

Another buddy decides to grab a 970 despite knowing about the 3.5 issue. wew.

not the 4gb version but the 290x and 390x are still a deal if you can handle the heat
ebay.com/itm/XFX-AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-8GB-Alphacool-Waterblock-/222433786684?hash=item33ca163b3c:g:aDEAAOSwsW9YwHsm

>Another buddy decides to grab a 970 despite knowing about the 3.5 issue. wew.
Because they're going for 100 dollars
at that price it's a bargain considering they're somewhat equal to RX 480/1070

Remind him to contact nVidia for his $30 from the lawsuit.

dont they OC like crazy?

No 40Mhz at max with huge voltage increase.
390x owner here

They are $150+ unless you find a steal.

R9 390x, slaps 980 , 8gb vram, dx12 makes wonders. Best gpu from amd since the 7970 ghz.

He bought the 970 for a solid 400~ Euros back then.

290 is a 290X is a 390 is a 390X

You can BIOS mod a 290 to a 390x

Depends on where you look, but even at 140, it's a pretty damn good price.
I wouldn't dare suggest it to anyone buying it for over 200 though.

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES

that only applied to the absolute first month release 390x cards.

after a few months they locked it down, now you cant do it anymore. and the 390x is about 15-20% faster than a 290x now.

the one and the only reason i picked a meme gtx 970 over this card is the fact that my PSU won't handle it and i would need to spend extra for a new one. I say the 290x has an amazing fps/$$$ ratio.

At least for 1440p, its performance/$ was crazy for a super long time.
Doesn't utilize quite as great in 1080p, though.
Shame how standard that 1080 is. What a garbage resolution.

1080p is all what my budget allowed me to get. My next upgrade will be something with g/free-sync at 160hz @1440p

>Tfw R9 295X2

GTX 1060, faster and runs at a fraction of the power usage

290X users are retarded, enjoy your sauna housefires

>No graphs
>No charts
>No links
>No evidence whatsoever
get out

>tfw the gtx1060 is a normie gpu

>and the 390x is about 15-20% faster than a 290x now

Uh, no, it's not. That's complete bullshit. It's the exact same GPU. At the same frequency, they perform identically, and the 390X doesn't have any additional overclocking headroom, despite the lies about optimised power delivery and such. The ONLY scenario where a 390X will be much faster is when a 4GB 290X runs out of VRAM.

Hm? The 290X is good for 1440p in tons of games. You just needed a better monitor.

>1060
It's not faster in DX12/Vulkan.
It's not faster at high resolutions.
It didn't come out almost 4 years ago.

290 without the X owner here

I was saving up for a 980Ti when the 970 thing kicked off

Grabbed the 290 for peanuts. Still serves me like a dream and temps aren't alarming.

People are tricked into believing it's faster because sites are still using shitty, throttling reference 290Xs for benchmarking (those that still bother to benchmark the 290X that is). All 390Xs were custom and shipped with more aggressive overclocks out of the box, so they seem much faster in benchmark charts. It's all complete smoke and mirrors of course. The 390X is a literal rebrand of the 8GB 290X.

Excellent gpu, got one at launch and it served me well until I got a 980ti. The reference cooler was a meme though: I got a reference card so I could put a water block on it easily, but when I sold the card and put that cooler back on it was leafblower levels loud under load even at 35% fan speed or so. Felt kinda bad for the kid I sold it to even if the card was perfectly good.

The one area where the 390X benefit is having slightly faster memory, but Hawaii was never bandwidth-limited to begin with thanks to that 512-bit bus. There are maybe a handful of games in existence which will see any gains from the extra memory bandwidth.

Smart guy. I like you.
Lots of my friends got the 970 despite me warning them, and they regret it so much.

tfw shitty friends that don't trust you

No, and it never was. 290 non-x was.
Today it's kinda a toss-up between 470/480/1060

hey pajeet

Last I checked, the 290X > 390X BIOS mod tightens the GDDR5 timings as well

Outside of the 3.5GB, what's there to regret?

>outside the card completely taking a dump if something allocates over 3.5GB which makes it run slower than a 1050 or RX460, what's there to regret?

>R9 290 isn't even on the list
peanuts

still the best poorfag gpu
rx480/1060 performance from 90-100 €
but many need a 30 € cx500 as well

The Tri-X is decent, hot but not over 70° if you are into airflow
Considering the price and performance it is amazing

>1440p benchmark for a GPU with obvious ram flaws
Despite this, the card runs RE:7 beautifully at all settings maxed at 1080p
>b-but it stutters more than the other card when it hits that peak
wow no shit, if you were to buy this card for anything higher than 1080p in the first place, you're a tard.

and the worst part here is that despite the 3.5GB shit being a huge fucking kick in the nads and basically fraud, the person here is arguing about the concept that requiring an extra 100W is a good trade-off for a fucking 5 FPS boost at a resolution your GPU can barely handle.

Did you buy a 290x and are fine with it to this day?
good for you
Did you buy a 970 and are fine with it to this day?
good for you

>an extra 100W
The card came out 3 years earlier, you tard.

>290 came out 37 Months ago
>970 came out 31 Months ago
>6 months is 3 years earlier

GTX 1060 120W
GTX 1070 150W
GTX 1080 180W

All superior to AYYMD HOUSEFIRES in performance & feature set with real DX12 Feature Level 12_1 support while AYYMD can't ever support 12_1 on their shitty GPUs

Huh. There's only 6 months difference between October 2013 and September 2014?
makes u think

the 970 is clearly more efficient but who cares when you can trash these cards nowadays
im really wondering about the prices, 2you can get a trix 290 for around 100 €, but 780/tis cost much more, 970s still up to 200
WHO would buy a used 970 if he could get a NEW 470 which is also power efficient for the same price?

>WHO would buy a used 970 if he could get a NEW 470 which is also power efficient for the same price?
The Way It's Meant To Be Played fanboys.

>WHO would buy a used 970 if he could get a NEW 470 which is also power efficient for the same price?
hit me up
where can I get a rx 470 for 150 usd

You could get them for $85 last week in the US, cuck.
Open your eyes, easy.

im not a fanboy... im using a gsync nvidia setup
but amd owns the budget sector
i would not buy nvidia below 300 €
160 € i think the cheapest here
i remember they had a msi 480 8 gb for 219 €
the good 1060s range from 300 upwards

Do you people jack off to graphics cards or something

>160 € i think the cheapest here
Shit, link?
I'd sell my GTX 970 asap if I could get the RX470 for that price

Still more worth it than a 390.

>im not a fanboy... im using a gsync nvidia setup
I didn't say you were. I was simply answering your question on who would pay $150 for a 970 when they could get a better RX470 for $110-$130.
Fanboys. That's it. People with no clue.

Same people who bought gsync, when it costs way more, and is proprietary, when Freesync is more common, cheaper, and open.
And Gsync looks like it'll die in a year with Freesync2 coming, and it looking to become prevalent with TVs for console support, and Nvidia having no alternative to Freesync2 lined up for the HDR10 monitors that are coming.

There was an HSI or whatever RX470 for 170 euro 2 weeks ago. Not sure if it's still around. Why is it so hard for most people on Sup Forums to search for the lowest prices?
Usually just checking a popular retailer like Amazon or Newegg, or using froogle, finds them here in the US.

Hawaii has finally supseded tahiti (which superseded the 800GT) as the godmachine of gpus.

what gpu should i get for around $250 or less? I was thinking gtx1060/rx480 but if theres a better alternative used id like to use it.

There basically isn't. To go above the 480/1060 you need to be looking at the likes of monster clocked 980's (zotac make a few) or the fury.

the problem is, amd cannot deliver anything viable for 4k gaming
if you ever played in 4k youll know why you need sync
i dont know about the us but germans/europeans should always check geizhals and idealo

>now its 170 euro
I'm yurotrash and I can't find a single RX470 below 190 EUR
hell, I even found a RX480 at 200 EUR

I got my 980Ti for $160 from Microcenter like 2-3 months ago.

Not gonna be changing my GPU for a while.

You used to be able to get R9 Fury for $230-$250 new in the US all the way from Black Friday 2016 up until a week ago.

But they've finally been bought up as people realized that Nvidia GPUs are screwy on Ryzen.

geizhals.eu/his-radeon-rx-470-icooler-oc-hs-470r4scnr-a1523977.html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu
kek
Prices keep jumping up on them cause Nvidia driver is so shit on Ryzen, I guess. There's finally a big demand and people finally realize they're better.
This was 50 euro less 2 weeks ago.

>the problem is, amd cannot deliver anything viable for 4k gaming
Uh the Fury X does 30fps+ in 4K for most games.

The Fury X is pure shit
>4 GB on a highend GPU
480 come close to a Fury but the performance isnt enough for 4K
Even a 1080Ti will only handle 40 FPS in some games

>rx470 costs more than a rx480
what the zug

>4GB
>of HBM2
>isn't enough for 4k
guys, we got another retard.

Fury doesn't give a shit if something allocates over 50%, almost 100% more VRAM than it has. It still scales better to 4K than a 6GB 1060. Only reason it only gets 19FPS on GR Wildlands is because it's terribly optimized and Nvidia sponsored. It does 30fps+ on most other games, and this is the absolute worst example you can pretty much find.

Only if you don't care about the heat ouput and the massive amount of power it draws

This is the case in my yuroland also. 220€ for the cheapest 480 200-300€ for 470.

I'm enjoying the fuck out of people shitting on AMD. Got r9 290 with shitty DCUii cooler for 80€. Changed paste and the thing is running smooth af with 6600k.

>Fury doesn't give a shit if something allocates over 50%, almost 100% more VRAM than it has.

You can be sure as fuck Vega's high bandwidth cache controller is going to be an evolution of the dynamic memory alloaction AMD has been turning since hawaii (which is why fiji gives no fucks despite seemingly running out of vram) along with some interesting options not for consumer plebs (like those radeon pros with a bolt on ssd). HBCC is going to be about getting as much memory access as possible as fast as possible - even from elsewhere in the system. It isn't much use for consumers but for server deployments and other big data usage cases it is a seriously interesting piece of technology.

check radeon pro duo benchmarks and come back

"Massive" = 1x light bulb.

Heat is an actual point if the card has a bad cooler, the paste is old/too much or bad case.

Oh oops I said HBM2 there. I meant HBM.

It's useful for consumers.
8GB of HBM2 with the HBCC is likely to perform better than 11GB of GDDR5X when a game wants 12GB (some are already using 8-10).

k I'm back

Both the same price? definately better.

Want to buy an AMD GPU.
Which one do you guys recommend? 480? 390X? Which one would be more cost/benefit?

RX580 with 8+6 pin that's reviewed well once they drop.

480. Performs the same as the 390x at nearly half the power draw.

>Fury doesn't give a shit if something allocates over 50%, almost 100% more VRAM than it has

This is such horse shit. HBM isn't magic. The Fury cards start stuttering like crazy once you go over 4GB, the same as any other card once it runs out of VRAM and you need to start swapping data between VRAM and system RAM. It doesn't matter one bit how fast HBM is, because you're still limited to how fast the other half of the equation is (the answer being orders of magnitude slower). It doesn't drop off a cliff like the 970 (because that card's plain broken), but it's not a good experience at all.

>Doesn't support HDMI 2.0b
>Doesn't support 4K HEVC Main10/VP9/H.264 hardware decoding
>Doesn't support Feature Level 12_1

Only retards will buy this AYYMD HOUSEFIRES garbage

I'd get the one which is cheaper with a proper cooler. I'd pay about 180€ for 390x and 220€ for 480 8GB maximum. Even though 480 is at times slower it's still newer.

I don't need any of those lol

200w, one lightbulb?

I'm curious what kind of lightbulbs you use

wait, so is there any reasoning why I would exchange my gtx 970 with a RX 480 if I don't run into the .5GB issue?
seemingly pretty much the same cards at the same pricetag

Oh look, its another retarded that doesn't understand DX feature levels.

Hah. Nvidia's meme cards don't even support tier 3 resource binding yet, something that fucking GCN 1.0 cards like the 7970 AND Intel's iGPUs both do. Come talk about DX12 readiness when they finally implement that (in Volta, so enjoy your new purchase).

rx480 is the better choice.

I am not willing to get a 580 because of my current overall set up.

Which manufactor do you recommend? I am between Sapphire and Powercolor.

isnt the 1060 faster?

This. Two Furies often deliver more FPS but with heavy frametime spikes which make the image looking like shutter. Even on the same GPU (480) 4 GB models often suffer microshuttering in certain titles in higher resolutions.

4 GB is OK for 1080p, not anything above, but paying 200+ € for a used Fury when AMD itself delivered a new generation is purely retarded. Just get the 8 GB 480 and you're fine.
Isn't DX12 what AMDfags always mention to justify their Fury purchase? I don't care about DX12 anyway as it isn't avaiable on my OS, but I know if DX12 ever gets important every current gen GPU will be outdated.
A few FPS, nothing that justifies its price. Also we saw how AMD cards perform over the years, if you plan to keep it go with AMD. Look at 680s vs 7970, 680 2 GB are almost unusable for modern textures.

>I am not willing to get a 580 because of my current overall set up.
what the hell does this mean

No. They're even on average. And the 1060 gets completely BTFO in DX12 and/or 1440p.

no
wait for next gen

>No. They're even on average. And the 1060 gets completely BTFO in DX12 and/or 1440p.
>aayyymmdfaggots actualy believing this

>reference blower card vs overclocked triple fan one
Yeah, it's definitely time to kill yourself.

You were saying?

Keep in mind the 480 barely oc's while the 1060 oc's like a champ

>day1 benchmarks when performance is about 15% better now
>tons of games that have DX12 support not using DX12, except for one
really makes you think

I'd go with:
1. find cheap card with at least two fans
2. read about the card/cooler
3. buy Asus DCUii cards only at gunpoint/if you're going to add vram cooling (problem in almost all AMD asus cards)
4. Sapphire is solid, Powercolor rx cards shit (r9 fine though)

I have the Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 since almost one and a half years. Apart from it sounding like a starting jet under load, I am content with it.
Rate.

The PCS+ is the best "budget" hawaii based card.