/spg/ - Smartphone General - Cheap phones are getting expensive edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
New Moto Z2 Force Renders Show 3.5mm Headphone Jack, Thankfully
xda-developers.com/moto-z2-force-renders-show-3-5mm-jack-thankfully/

Xiaomi Mi MIX: A Closer Look at the Design and Display
anandtech.com/show/11242/xiaomi-mi-mix-design-and-display

Nexus 5X Hardware Modded to Upgrade RAM to 4GB
xda-developers.com/nexus-5x-hardware-modded-to-upgrade-ram-from-2gb-to-4gb/

OnePlus 5 Model Number Shows Up in Chinese Certification Page
xda-developers.com/oneplus-5-model-number-shows-up-in-chinese-certification-page/

Motorola Moto G5 review
gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5-review-1601.php

HTC One X10 goes official with Helio P10 SoC, 4,000mAh battery
gsmarena.com/htc_one_x10_goes_official_with_octacore_cpu_4000mah_battery-news-24521.php

Sony Xperia XZs review
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xzs-review-1600.php

Xiaomi Mi 6 rumor round-up: Specs, features, price and release date
phonearena.com/news/Xiaomi-Mi-6-rumor-round-up-Specs-features-price-and-release-date_id91115

Mobile phone insurance versus repairs – how do costs add up?
phonearena.com/news/Mobile-phone-insurance-versus-repairs--how-do-costs-add-up_id92803

old

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/Global-version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-mobile-phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-13-0MP-camera-Metal/32794594929.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What do y'all think of the Huawei P9?
Any good? Still usable? Or don't bother and go for something else?

Just for some context, I'm coming from a Xperia Z3 that just recently died.

Of coursh.

Is it a normal for Xiaomi Mi5 to have the screen go completely red in the split second after you lock the screen but before it actually goes black?

I though my eyes were broken, but I recorded it happening, picrelated (the picture in the background is basically completely blue). I'd post a webm, but the whole thing is literally three frames: blue, red, black.

HAS ANYONE HERE REPLACED THEIR S4 YET? I WANT TO UPGRADE

Even though it may be a small downgrade from the S7 camera, I'm leaning towards going ahead and getting the LG G6 because of Sprint's amazing offer with it.

One important question I have, though, is can I easily and cheaply attain an adapter such as the one that came with the S7 that I can use to plug in USB devices like a mouse and keyboard dongle? That would be really good with that somewhat wider screen.

Also, what are the cheapest options for a thin silicone case and a tempered glass screen protector that covers the whole screen?

No duh, dude. Eventually upgraded to the S7. I recommend you look into grabbing an S7, S8, or G6.

Hey, does anyone know of any nice, cheap wireless chargers one could get for a G6?

No optical stabilization, nice phone otherwise

Anyone got Redmi Note 4 with Mediatek CPU?
Is GPS really that bad as some people say it is?

I knew editing the OPs would pay off.

Post anime girls with smart phones and I will smug them

Post your favorite Doogee Shoot 1 photos

What is wifi like on your S7? It is kinda bad on my brother's s7 even though my router and internet is very good

Gonna need a new phone soon. Budget is $350, but I'll go a bit higher if it's worth it
Want:
>Long battery life
>Great camera (important)
>Buttons (Home and Back)

Considering Huawei P10/+, but other options are good

gonna get a note 4X soon, hope its good enough

Liking mine a lot, except for the camera

as long as its better than a moto g 1st gen. Not much of a camera enthusiast, as long as its decent not as horrible as moto g 1

Oneplus 3T is still the way to go

Camera isn't really a big deal for me.
You think the battery will be alright?

I've never noticed any major problems.

Battery life is great so far, lasts me 2 days easy with moderate usage. Shame there's no quick charge.

Would it be worth waiting for the new Nokia phones?

The Chinese are trying to subliminally turn into a communist

b-but i'm russian, user.

ZTE, Huawei, Xiaomi phones with good custom ROM support available in Europe? I'm using the S5 at the moment and my first choice for an upgrade is HTC 10, even though it's somewhat hard to get here. I want to know what my alternatives are.

Should I buy a Google Pixel? What's a better phone in the same (or cheaper) price range?

Just ordered the Huawei Mate 9, bros.

How fucked am I?

ZTE Axon 7

Huawei phones have almost nonexistent custom ROM support because they use their in-house Kirin SoCs instead of better supported Snapdragon SoCs

Xiaomi Mi5, Redmi Note 3 Pro, Redmi Note 4X / Note 4 Global

Is a carrier mandatory these days? I'd rather not have one.

Of course not. You're free to chat on public radio frequencies.

What do you guys think about ASUS Zenfone 3?

Only got 150 bucks in my pocket, what can I get that has:

Decent battery (lasts a day)
Passable camera
Good RAM and storage (probably most important)
Bonus: good ROMs available

Android of course.

would you recommend the OnePlus 3T over the iPhone SE and Pixel?

Redmi Note 4X

Huawei phones have nonexistent custom ROM support also because of the painful bootloader unlocking.

The Pixel is an overrated meme. The Oneplus 3T and iPhone SE are very different phones. Both are great, but you should decide for yoursezlf if you want a small or a big phone.
>t. Oneplus 3 user
Oneplus 3T is where it's at.
You will be okay.
Which ones?
The Nokia 5 and 6 are great.
The Nokia 3 is shit.
The Nokia 7 and 9 are big question marks ATM.

6. Idk honestly. Pixel is too expensive for something I just want to text my gf with and scroll through instagram. My S4 does it all but its slower than it was. I just refreshed the rom on it and cut out all the bs apps i never use and it's running nicely. It's just the battery life is AIDS, lasts half a day with light to moderate use, the screen uses 15-20% and the phone is sitting on the desk, screen off most of the day.

What should I get? A Samsung A7 (2017) or a Oneplus 3?

is it even possible anymore to buy the mi5 in black?

Def. Oneplus, unless water resistance is super important to you

Get a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Global, all the bands you need for EU support and custom ROM support if you want to fuck around with that.

aliexpress.com/item/Global-version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-mobile-phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-13-0MP-camera-Metal/32794594929.html

Bretty much this.

is it safe to buy OnePlus 3T's from eBay? Last time i was phone shopping you needed an invite for the OnePlus One.
And are they compatible anywhere in the world? Or do I need to make sure I buy an Australian version?

what are Sup Forums's thoughts on buying a phone outright versus going on a contract/plan?

If you say the camera's really important, then yes the Pixel will matter.

I want a good camera, which 3T seems to have.
My current camera is an LG G2, which has been great with its optical stabiliser

Anyone know the specs website where you can compare the sizes? Ie Zuk Z2 is red outline and Mi5 is blue outline laid on each other noting the difference in width length and height.

I tried kimovil, devicespecification and gsmarena but no go.

I want a cheap smartphone with Android N. My maximum price is around 350$, though ideally closer to 250$.

I'm hesitating between the Huawei Honor 8 Lite, and one of the Moto G5 variants. What would you guys suggest?

They're not comparable. It's an okay camera, but it's nowhere near the Pixel's.

It depends on how good you want your camera to be and how much you're willing to pay for the Pixel's boons.

Kimovil does it, dunno what's your problem with it. Phonearena is another one.

would you say the 3T's camera is as good or better than LG G2's? If so, then I'll be happy

>> Android N.

Why are you so afraid of the N-word user?

I also would like to know

im looking for a phone that
>supports roms
>max 145mm height
>has buttons
>cheap
>not ugly

It's definitely better, by a lot.

best easy to root phone with removable battery?

I've come to the conclusion that I don't need a huge screen on my phone.

I don't really watch many videos or play games.

I do however browse the internet quite a bit on it. But a smaller screen is perfectly fine for it. I used a Nexus 4 for many years and the small screen was perfectly fine for it.

Also, displays are the #1 source of battery drainage. So I assume a smaller screen would lead to longer battery life?

So my question is, other than the Xperia, are there quality phones out there under 5 inches ?

I've seen pictures of Asian android flip phones with smaller screens. Do those work in the US?

Moto G5

Lenovo ZUK Z2/Z2 plus or Moto G4 plus?
I like the look of Z2 compared to G4, only con is no SD slot abd internal battery.
Also is there any reason NOT to buy the Z2?
I'm asking because I really want to buy it right now.

Is the Huawei Honor easy to root?

iPhone SE (though even the 6S / 7 are under 5")
Galaxy A3 2017

Those Asian flip phones don't have the network bands needed to work with US carriers

ZUK is better in almost every way.

not fucked at all
should last you some years

Xiaomi Mi5

>tfw you don't even watch anime but you're still weeb enough to always have borderline hentai or anime tiddies set as your phone background

I'm 30 now, should I stop worrying about what others think of my phone home screen?

Does anyone here own a Blackberry phone with a physical keyboard and Blackberry OS? How is it?

Okay good to know. I was tossing and turning about it for quite some time. Finally bit the bullet.

Android 7 phone, for testing Java 8 apps. Max budget is $350. What do I get?

>I'll just wait for the Mi6
>no headphones jack
GODDAMMIT

thats not cheap wtf i can get a samsung a3 at that price, i was looking for something cheaper than that

Moto G5 / G5 Plus

>Also is there any reason NOT to buy the Z2?
Cumera
Also average audio especially with headphones

If you can wait then wait for April 19, mi6 will be released so mi5 will get a price cut.

The point is that you don't want a Samsung A3, all the Samsung A phones are budget garbage. Moto G is honestly the best phone to get if you're not looking at flagships. No bullshit, guaranteed a good phone. If you want to risk it and fuck around with chinky shit or Samsung shit, go for it, but I'll never take those over a Moto G.

Any recommendation for a 5" or smaller phone with decent specs? Must be Android.

thats fair enough
how about redmi 4
got anything to say against that it seems to tick the right boxes

I got the samsung A7 2017 and what I love about this phone is that the battery lasts for two days on heavy use. Kinda like the moto z play but has a more premium feel to it. What's bad about this device is how poorly thr camera is on low light and the lack of pdaf and stabilization. And of course its a samsung so its priced more than the OP3T

ZUK Z2

meant for also
how does redmi 4 compare to redmi 4a

by average, how bad is the audio quality?
I could settle with OK sounds if it's not much of a difference using in-ear headphones

Does the mediatek version comes only with the Chinese firmware? Or you have the option of getting the global Rom?

In the US. Budget is 300 and lower.

Do I go for the LeEco Le Max 2, Honor 8, ZTE blade V8 pro, or Moto G5 Plus? The LeEco has the best specs and lowest price but I'm concerned about chink ""quality""

I can't enter recovery mode on my phone.
It's rooted, tried to flash a recovery image throughp TWRP app.

Instead it enters factory mode, whats should I do?

>Samsung A phones are budget garbage
But still miles better than the chinky crap you people meme so hard.

I would love to avoid iOS.

I've never heard of the Galaxy A3. But I'll look into it.

Honor 8

Flash twrp through fastboot

i have le 2 and the sound via usb c is amazing. with mokee rom and karnel phone is fast as fuck and have around 6-7 sot, camera is nothing special and screen is good

im really close to buying redmi 4x
does anyone have anything to say against it?

>Flash twrp through fastboot
Fastboot is stuck in loading

Where can I find a new & cheap Nexus 5X (250 euroland moneys and lower)

>HTC new phone leak
>glass back instead of metal

Into the trash it goes

You don't want to buy a Nexus 5X

Are there really no no-bullshit Android phones left? I just want a phone with decent battery and build that I can install some custom rom on (without sending a fucking application to the manufacturer) and be done with it. 3T would be great if it actually had an SD card slot.

Nokia, when they are released outside China.

Why is it shit though? They meant for it to be lighter by making it using glass

I have the exact needs as this, but I am stuck on sprint, how fucked am i?

$180 phone with good camera?