I fell for the 16GB of RAM meme

I fell for the 16GB of RAM meme.

I hardly use any RAM at all. This is my computer at full use.

How can I use more RAM to get my monies worth?

run nested gentoo vms until you run out of ram

>meme
My work computer has 32 and is constantly swapping.

emulate

virtual machines

ramdrive

shove them up your asshole

setup a ramdisk
4GB should be enough
cache shit on ramdisk
for example your browser cache
it will befaster then

I fell for 32GB RAM meme
I hardly use 12GB

you can make a ram drive, you will need to reload it every time you restart the PC but its crazy fast.

>didn't fall for any memes
>"only" 2GB of RAM
>never even break 1GB even when browsing with multiple tabs open

Damn it feels good not to fall for memes.

RAM Disks are damn cool. One of the best things about old computers.

Future proofing!!!!!

16gb is on the low end if you edit photo/video

"Future proofing" is literally a meme.

Not only does it set the precedence for increasing bloat, it also doesn't save you any money. Everything you buy because of "future proofing" will be half the price a year later and will work just as well all the way into the future.

Unless you're a AAA gamer (which you shouldn't be) you could still use a computer that's 10 years old as a daily driver unless you actually work hard to use the resources to falsely necessitate an upgrade.

It's also on the low end if you need to fire up a couple of simultaneous VMs.

Your computer at full use is felicia day?

That may be true, but no one on Sup Forums edits video or images at an enterprise level.

You did good.
Now disable the pagefile.

>16GB is on the low end if you edit photo/video
Pic related. Now go off yourself off a cliff.

Are you making a cartoon or something?

I have a browser for each of my online identities. I always end up with several tabs open in each.
Then I have tv or movies running in the background while I record myself playing vidya.

I bring 8GB to its knees pretty dang fast.

Even for home recording, Cubase easily starts swapping to disk after a couple of hours of work.

Cemu uses like 50GB of RAM on BotW.

I edit videos usually,not just cartoons. Also doing presentations (because I am lazy and hate Powerpoint) with it at HD1080p,and I also run Firefox with at least 20+ tabs open.

And yes, I have 2GB RAM and run an 64-bit OS.

That can't be right, not when enterprise music production used to be done with only a few MB.

Maybe the issue is the software, not the hardware?

precedent*

>tfw bought 32gb RAM years ago for future proofing
>tfw price in RAM was at their lowest
>tfw it was cheaper to buy 32gb then than to buy 16 now

>Maybe the issue is the software, not the hardware?
Obviously the issue is software related -- these programs keep every change you do in memory, so you can easily go back when you fuck up. This means that every single time you record on top of a track, the old version is still kept around in memory and saved to disk in the form of backup files. But it's still a valid reason to get more RAM, I ordered 32 GB ram specifically for that reason.

Just to give you some perspective, my last project was a 2:30 instrumental with 3 guitar tracks, a bass track, 8 drum tracks, 1 midi track for keys/synth and a couple of tracks for percussion. The project files on disk is currently 628 GB.

RAM is a meme for Sup Forumsentoomen who are too dumb to close tabs

For some reason I forgot I had 8 gigs of RAM already and when I ordered the parts for my computer i only planned on using like 8 gigs, so i bought 8 gigs. So when i put together my computer, i remembered i had an extra 8 gigs, so i wound up with 16 gigs in my computer. Pretty nice. At the most I probably only ever use like 6 gigs of it

Only people who can't use proper data structures, need more RAM

Only people who can't use proper algorithms, need faster CPUs.

>I hardly use any RAM at all
You need to open more browser tabs!

>everyone writes their own software

>not writing your own software
Pig Disgusting

I fell for the 64GB RAM meme, but whenever I am not idle I go at least above 16GB.

install furryfox

I think this was either in PS AE, or PR

>whenever I am not idle I go at least above 16GB.

16 GB RAM isn't that much and it's great to have it available when you need it.

If you constantly use most of your RAM and you decide to do some photo or video editing then you're going to have to close or stop a lot of things. I don't really need a big apartment since I could stay in the living-room all the time but it sure is nice to have a kitchen and a bathroom when I need those things.

I have 32 GB RAM on my desktop and 16 GB on my home server. Only having 16 GB RAM on the server box actually puts a limit on what I can have running on it, should have gotten 32 GB for that one too but.. since both are DDR3 system's I'll just leave it as-is until I upgrade my desktop to DDR4.

>who are too dumb to close tabs
I have a extention called MemoryRestart for Firefox and in chromium I just type chrome://restart regularly. Both are really bad. Leave those things running and it'll fill your memory regardless of how much you've got. Chrome can use like 7GB RAM and after a restart it uses less than 1GB with the exact same things open. Memory management in every single modern browser is a joke.

total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 15G 1.9G 6.5G 157M 6.7G 12G
Swap: 0B 0B 0B

you must have a quite large pagefile.

>pagefile.
I don't use a pagefile.

4gb is more than enough right now unless you play fucking video games

Or as I like to call them, autism-eo games

>Or as I like to call them, autismo games
There, I fixed it.

oh yeah ok

>open control panel
>delete page file
>take screenshot
>crete page file again

wew lad

>crete page file again

>he really thinks I create a page file again to slow my hdd down

how stupid can you be

>slow my hdd down
What kind of shitty disk controller do you have?

This is what you get for using Emacs.

None,I run from the native Intel P43 SATA controller. It's the RPM of the drive (it was free,sue my ass if you don't like it) that slows the drive down. (5400RPM Samsung drive that came from a USB enclosure)

>it's the RPM that slows it down
Normie detected.

>Normie detected.

>implying green drives (it's a EcoGreen according to Google) don't do that

Spotted the normie.

Linux, win10, etc., use all ram available for caching. Other than that, certain VMs is what eats my ram. Then if you use software like After Effects, then whatever ram you have, it will makes of it... Also I noticed games like master of orion 4 taking around 9gb at certain stage.

16 GiB is low end risky budget build territory.

>tfw you fell for the 16GiB of RAM meme

>anime openings on every language
fuck off, you can do that even with openshot/pitivi

use windows 10
it will utilize all you're ram

By using a nonshit OS that uses free ram as cache space to speed up IO

>According to Google
Definitely a normie

Do something that requires RAM like editing a lage high quality image in PS, run some virtual servers. Use your imagination dipshit.

>16+ GB of ram is a meme
I love this meme

I develop software that requires 32 GB minimum to run efficiently. Just because you only watch anime and "code" FizzBuzz all day doesn't mean there are memory-heavy programs out there.

>I develop software that requires 32 GB minimum to run efficiently.
A wordy way to say "I program Java"

>using locally stored VM's

What happens if your drive fails?
Image backups of 500GB VM's? Yeah no thanks, I have better things to waste my time on.

C

We're #1 at what we do too, so it is not about doing things inefficiently or wrong. Rather simply there is an increasing need for RAM.

I do. I create mobile applications. A lot of pixel art for games.

>A lot of pixel art for games.

I suppose you need quite a rig to manage something popular when machines had 12K of RAM?

I can't open this screenshot so I don't know what you're doing. But if you're diving into things like AE, 16 gigs is definitely on the low end. Like, lowest acceptable.

Seems like a good place to ask

I bought an old i5 2400 shitbox with one 4gb DIMM in it, then dropped in a pair of 2gb DIMMs I had lying around. There's still a fourth slot. Should i get another 4gb stick and am I fucing something up by using mismatched sizes like this?

>Only people who can't use proper data structures, need more RAM
it's not hard to generate a random graph that doesn't fit in memory

where is your sequential prefetcher god now?

When was ram at its lowest price point?
Is it at a retardedly high point now?
If so, why? Was there another tsunami or someshit again?
When will ram be at a low point again? I want to buy more soon.

$ free -h
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 15G 8,2G 1,5G 595M 5,7G 6,2G
Swap: 11G 126M 11G

Modern operating systems use excess ram as IO cache. You get your monies worth every time the OS skips loading something from the disk since it was already in a memory cache.

32GB RAM

KVM hypervisor w/DE (2GB)
1x DNS/LDAP server (4GB)
1x FreeNAS server w/ RAID passthrough(16GB)
1x Gayming PC w/ GPU passthrough @ 1080 (8GB)
1x hardened linux internet toaster (2GB)

>I'm maxed, I need to upgrade to get wife on VM, get my Kali box virtualized and rebuild a SONAR PC

My power bill is like 1/3 what it used to be

I want to get on your level. Please teach me your ways.

Which OS are you using for the hypervisor?
Which CPU would you get for your next system for best virtualization support?

wat een fijne meid zeg

DDR4 is retardedly high.

> You get your monies worth every time the OS skips loading something from the disk since it was already in a memory cache.

This is the correct way to look at it.

That means there's no point in doing a speed-optimization like copying /usr/lib into /dev/shm, and remounting it there -- because the caching feature has a pretty similar effect, but it only does it on-demand, which is even better.

ddr3 is also high as fuck, in 2015 i got 16GB for 60$ in a 4x4 config.

a month ago i repurposed some old parts and spent 65$ on a single 8gb dimm

stop closing applications, turn off paging, set up a ramdisk to cache OS, run a 4GB VM for whatever OS you don't use, you'll want 32GB pretty quick.

yea if you edit fucking cartoons, 2gb you'll barely handle video from a dslr

This. Very much this.

RAM Discs make great caches for browsers, image editors, video editors and so on.
And it aids in security in regards to the browser part. If, god forbid, computer was stolen, powering off will kill the data. (unless you pissed off some spooks, in which case ur fukt)

If you are a gamer, you can even put your entire game IN RAM.
You might need to fanny about with settings, or symlink it, but it can be done.
Of course, 4GB won't work with most large games.
8GB will be better for more games.
But even then, most games it benefit are read-heavy games like Minecraft, Garrys Mod, open-world, procedural games, etc.
Minecraft is probably the only thing that can easily fit there.

Equall, with sandboxing, you can run entire processes in RAM.
Whole browser in RAM, setup a trigger directory for the appdata for it, recover it from sandbox when you close it down.
Likewise the downloads folder.
Everything else dies when you shut down. >shutting down
delete RAM drive rather.

Even back in the WinXP days, I had a little RAM Drive for temporary shit, like temporary image and text notes.

>using a green drive
Enjoy your prematurely dying drive.

I'd not use those fucking things if I was paid it's price every month for the rest of my life.

lol

>amd fx-9590 meme (holy hell it is gay)
>32G RAM (never use more than 8)
>Nvidia 610 (i only got this card bc mobo didn't have a port for my monitor)

>I fell for the 16GB of RAM meme.

It's not a meme.

Also don't feel bad. I bought 2x16 DDR4 3200 for my Ryzen mobo. Cant post higher than 2133.

>fell for 8 gig meme
how do u not use massive ram

as long as ram speed is the same the sizes done't matter.

16Gb is enough for games but shit for any heavy tasks.
true not everyone needs 32GB and why buy it with ram prices so damn high but then again you should of got ram when it was cheap so shame on you.

that said it depends on what you do.

I use ~10gb with a lot of tabs open, mainly because my browser cache sits in ram. I tried it with 8gb and it is not a pleasant experience at all.

I am building a new pc and will have to stick with 8gb on it for a while since the price of ram is disgusting at the moment. Probably gonna use Synergy and do most of my browsing on my laptop which has 16gb.

Any chance the price of ram is going to decrease in the near future?

Still at 8GB of ram. I barely get above 4GB ram usage even when rendering or opening a shit load of tabs.

Use firefox for more than 24 hours.
???
Buy more ram because it's swapping.

Use chrome

I had a bunch of tabs open and i was using nearly 8GB

Lots of ram needed to continually send my data to the chinamen

Almost my boat. Bought 16gb @ $65 Christmas 2015. Should have just gotten more.

This shits worse than oil/gas prices

12 GB sweet spot master race here.