Did you know that northern Italians were the best armourers in Europe even though people often erroneously attribute...

Did you know that northern Italians were the best armourers in Europe even though people often erroneously attribute this to the Germans? Classical plate armor is entirely of northern Italian design and even the sallet was invented there. While Germans were good at making armour as well, they ultimately just stole the design.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_armour
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>they ultimately just stole the design
Like the distinctively Italian Kastenbrust style armour.

WE

>they ultimately just stole the design
Or the distinctively Italian Gothic armour which was called "alla tedesca" (whatever that means - I don't speak Italian).

Not to mention the Italian armour in Maximilian style. Named after the Italian Emperor Maximilian I.

Armour was useless in medieval times , Nomadic Turkic tribes proved this point several times.

Why didn't they ever put it to good use?

Especially the bellows visor is distinctively Italian - often falsely claimed to be a German invention.

idiot cockroach

still mourning after your destroyed crusader armies ?
get over it man , europe's millitary started improving when they gave up useless shit

they were also the best engineers
Also fun fact an Italian mercenarys commander will be paid less than an archer simply because they are always incompetent

t. john hawkwood

Pro-tip: this sort of armour wasn't yet worn during the crusades. During the crusades, the equipment was on both sides literally the same. Padded clothes, mail armour and mostly straight swords.

Do you guys follow any YT channels or shit like that about historical armour and weapons? I like Skallagrim (even though he's an SJW), Metatron and Lindybeige.

Arabic swords were not straight at all , most used saber like swords and Turkics used kilij which is a shortist curved sword

You should look into Scholagladiatoria and KnyghtErrant.

thanks m8

no wonder you guys dress yourselves up more than women, it's in your blood.

>Did you know that northern Italians were the best armourers in Europe

Yes.

>using armour
Overcompensating faggotry.

They're literally wearing armor

>wearing clothes at all in battle

They're wearing a helm, that's all, the rest is clothing.
I respect these 2.

t. ahistorical depictions

Holy shit, that thing must have cost more than a country!

And look what happened to the Picts and Iceni...

lel.

>dem faces tho
>literally don't give a fuck

Are you trying to be ironic while failing? Because Maximilian armor was literally based on Italian design.

this meme that crossbows could actually pose an actual threat to plate armor needs to die, only way it penetrates is if it scores a lucky shot from up close.

How about you show me an Italian suit of Maximilian armour then?

I very much doubt you'll be able to find one.

>You were born in a time where it's unacceptable to just walk around in armour

JUST

Polish armour is based

Not necessarily true, Italian Maximilian armor was specifically designed to stop crossbow bolts by being rounded at every point whereas I wouldn't trust gothic plate to stop a crossbow bolt. Design differences are because Gothic plate was designed primarily for horseback riding since battles on open fields were more common in Germany at the time whilst sieges were more common in Italy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_armour

>Maximilian armour combined the rounded Italian style of armour with the German fluted style

damn now I want to play Dark souls

Dark Souls 3 has some lovely armour.

You're retarded Saracens who called knights ''men of iron'' noted how hard they were to kill.

i'm fairly sure everyone realized the importance of rounding your armor to deflect blows.

Do it

Too bad they all got shot and armored knights and troops became obsolete.

Of course they were still rounded, but it's the extent of the rounding and also the thickness of the plate itself, Gothic plate is comparatively light and flat compared to the Maximilian armor.

full-plate armor wasn't wildly used until the late medieval period

>Got drunk and bought a German great helm off the internet
>gf wants me to get rid of it

First of all 'combining' two earlier styles to create something new doesn't make the design a 'rip off'. There is no country in the world where you could patent 'round shapes'. Second, there's a lot more to Maximilian armour than 'round shapes' and Gothic 'fluting'. First of all, the flutes were quite different in comparison with earlier Gothic armour. The way they were put in place followed a completely different system and the 'geschnürlt' type of cords that adorn the edges weren't really found on either earlier designs. Shifted plates for covering gaps in the armour were a new one too. The Soleret type Sabatons were replaced with Cow-Mouth Sabatons. Same with Bellows visored armet- or close helmet type designs, which are generally called 'German visor helmet' in literature.

Turks themselves said otherwise when they met knights and Normans were said to look like porcupines because of how many arrows they could tank and they wore just chainmail which was less protective than plate armor OP posted.

You dumb retarded fucking roach.

Yeah, that's why everyone who could afford it was wearing it.
And that's why you roaches managed to conquer European countries after gunpowder became widespread but not before.

only chainmail will not protect you from any sort of arrows, they surely had layered cloth as armor under the chainmail.

...yes genius people wore padding under chainmail thanks for this groundbreaking revelation

btw I heard the news that tomorrow will be Friday shocking huh?

yes but saying only chainmail is very deceiving, also, padding and chainmail aren't all that far away from plate armor.

>padding and chainmail aren't all that far away from plate armor

that's how it's like in Skyrim?

>padding and chainmail aren't all that far away from plate armor

i don't play skyrim, scooby doo

>plate amour

this is way more awesome

Yes. Thanks for fostering a thriving culture of artisans, inventors and artists, Italy. Too bad about all the faggots.

I still like the Teutonic Knight helmets

Yeah they were pretty swag.

Which one would you wear