/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horological tech and watches.

PREVIOUS THREAD: Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/IqmXN_0aD1k

Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Other urls found in this thread:

revolution.watch/watchmaking-grandmasters-pick-budget-timepieces/
youtube.com/watch?v=iViv7gLEueQ&t=365s
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ALBA-AKA-QUARTZ-V733-5A40-BLUE-679657-WRIST-WATCH-Very-Rare-W0193-/302280051628
chrono24.co.uk/rolex/index.htm?dosearch=true&query=rolex&sortorder=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Phirst for NOMOS

Second for lucky purchases.

These Daniel Wellington clones are getting out of hand.

They got out of hand about 90 years ago.

Blue dial with bracelet is perfect

does HOMOS marketing target these threads and reddit exclusively?

revolution.watch/watchmaking-grandmasters-pick-budget-timepieces/

>Philippe Dufour:
>“I would say that you could buy at this price, maybe a bit less, a very good watch in terms of value and quality. It’s not Swiss — sorry — [but] a German brand called Nomos. I found that this brand makes a very serious product. I like these watches, and for somebody who wants to start, I think this will be a good [choice]: not too expensive and good value for money.”

Nomos haters BTFO

Seriously, why do decent automatics cost $300+? The movements aren't that expensive and the cases are cheap to manufacture.

Part of the reason nobody wears decent watches now is the fucking price.

That one was a spare i found, probably brand new.

This is the one i usually walk around with.

It's funny but the watch brands they're talking about make better watches than them.

I'm a shitter, what watch should I get as my first big boy watch?

I'm also a wristlet so pls no big

>Omeega MAN ON THE PHUCKING MOOON
>Rolex Oysterdate 6694
>Rolex Air-King
>Rolex Explorer II
Buy used/vintage of course.

A Seiko 5 is usually a good choice to babys first watch.

>Rolex, Nomos and Parmigiani better than Voutilainen
Nope

Why not?

Hey, I guess I'm now Cosmotron buddies with kike-san. What movement is yours?

Here's the sellers pic of mine I just got, a 7803A at 36,000bph.

What's this watch?

It was my grandpa's so I'm going to cherish it, just curious if you lads know more about it. I know nothing about watches.

Orient
Seiko 5

Go to the Orient site snd look through their whole offerings. If you find a model you like, buy it from a retailer like Long Island Watch because it's much cheaper.

Mine is a slightly later 7806A, but it seems that mine is much cleaner.

Though i have to admit that i like 7803A more, mostly because of the 8oclock seconds reset button.

>Seiko 5 & Orient
>not shitters
>big boy watches
Kek, no.

/wt/, we should make the ultimate AC3 video.

Let's post him a review request with a pic of absolute shitters and bait keywords like "workhorse movement" "affordable" "beater" "mid-tier" etc. plus shitting on Patek and stuff like that.

Externally mine is just a bit beat but not much (the japs really like to do very sharp pics of the watches they sell with all the scratches and dents amplified), and the lume has aged, but the dial and movement are actually spotless. If it wasn't a battery watch I'd say it has never been opened before. Whoever the previous owner brought it to for a battery change could swap it without leaving a mark anywhere.

I'll fix up the polished parts with some polishing cloth by hand, leave the brushed parts alone and maybe do something about the crystal and that's about it. I'm not even sure I'll relume the hands or just clean the top off.

Seiko or Orient

When you say "big boy" we assume you mean not dogshit quartz fashion watches. Those two brands are as big boy as you can get with their higher level offerings like Credor or Royal Orient. If you can afford them, of course.

That's a weird bracelet, I assume he worked for that company and they gave it as a gift? The dial doesn't say anything, I don't really know anything about it. Are there any numbers on the back maybe? If not then opening it up is the only way to figure out what it is.

>Seiko 5 & low-tier Orient
>same as Grand Seikos & Royals

Budget?

$ 125 - 150 max.

Whoever took that photograph is very good at it. It's very flattering to a watch that isn't that impressive looking in person.

Seiko 5 or and Orient are pretty much your only choices at that pricepoint.

Best watch-related development of 2017?

For me personally?
>Grand Seiko dropping the garish "S E I K O" logo and replacing it with the "Grand Seiko" in Gothic font

That thing had no place on a nice watch like that.

3th for vintage Seiko plaidposting.

needs a new bracelet, any suggestions

Yeah it was a gift from his employer for 25 years of service in 1984 and the bracelet say speidel on it. The back just has the inscription, no branding. I'm guessing the company must be Omega, but that's all I know.

I may take it somewhere for a battery and see what they know about it.

That bracelet is cool as fuck.
I'd say get it serviced at a proper watchmaker and after that wear it in good health.

whats the ref no for this shitter

Can't you fucking read? It's literally on the dial.

Thanks senpai, it's super comfy but way too big on me. My grandpa had better wrists genes I didn't inherit.

is this you

thats a model, not a reference number you fucking melon

No. He is like 50 pounds, or more, heavier than that.

You can adjust the bracelet retard. Get it fixed and join the granpa Omega club.

5256 should be the movement, I'm sure looking up King Seiko 5256 will get you close to what you're looking for.

It's a 1975 King Seiko 5256-8010

I disagree. I understand it was necessary as a marketing decision but it goes against the history and tradition of Grand Seiko. They always had Seiko on the dial in the 1960s and 1970s.

Except I'm fat, kek.

How's the accuracy on that connie? Which movement is it?

>it was necessary as a marketing decision
This was not at all necessary as a marketing decision.
Like you said, they've been branding the same way for half a century, since the very beginning.

This was an aesthetic decision.

I know I can my dude, I'm just saying. I'll find a place on Monday for service, it needs a battery anyway.

Cal. 561, it gains like 1 second per day. Here's a photo of the movement I posted in the last thread.

Check out how fucking tiny that crown is too, I almost want to buy a watch winder just because setting the time and the date on this thing is such a pain in the ass.

Ah, didn't realize that Connie was the same watch this movement shot came from.

This decision was made for exactly the same reasons as the invention of Acura, Lexus and Infinity. Because Western markets are unable to wrap their minds around companies serving entry level and luxury markets simultaneously. It wasn't made before because, until recently, Seiko gave very close to zero fucks about international sales of their GS models.

>brand new axe, shirt, and cap
fucking lumbersexuals who never did a day's work

Grand Seikos always had "Grand Seiko" on them too.
All they did is omit the generic logo, and the result is a much cleaner look.
Not only cleaner, but without the stupid redundancy too.

>SEIKO
>Grand Seiko

It was just dumb.

Of course improved aesthetics enhance marketing, but to say this was "necessary as a marketing decision" after half a century is bs.

Oh, and Grand Seikos have been marketed globally since 2010.

>it goes against the history and tradition of Grand Seiko.
Of Grand Seiko perhaps, but not against the history and tradition of Seiko itself.

Before Grand Seiko there was "Seiko Crown", see pic.

This had pretty much the same basic layout as the new 2017 "Grand Seiko" branding: a two-word brand (one word being Seiko) in a distinctive font at the 12 o'clock, and some identifying info at the 6 o'clock.

>it goes against the history and tradition of Grand Seiko

Actually not at all. Pic related is the first ever Grand Seiko.

I understand you prefer the new look aesthetically, and think most people will. I don't even disagree with you about that.

I still believe that Seiko choose to do this for exactly the same reasons Japanese carmakers did the same thing, and I think this is evidenced by it happening just as Seiko has begun to take the global marketing of Grand Seiko seriously in a way they really did not previously.

I'm general, I believe Seiko's emphasis on the global marketing of the Presage line and their renewed focus on globally marketing Grand Seiko are progressive moves form a company that has traditionally been VERY insular and JDM focused with it's mechanical models.

My disagreement is only about what motivated Seiko to take this step.

Ethiopia

What's the best Vostok Amphibia to spend $100 on right now?

Ask him to review a TAG heuer that you sold your moonwatch for

Aren't the $100 ones the special series neptunes? You can get regular amphibias for $60 on meranom I think. For a hundred you can even buy a new bezel and a strap.

Other than that it's all about the looks. Just get what you like.

710 scuba dude + shark mesh + bezel with seiko insert

Wow. You literally have to live in 1986 Japan to pull this one off. Alba was one of Seiko's radical/shitter divisions.

Something like "my friend wants to buy xyz because he wants "workhorse movement" "affordable" "beater" "mid-tier" can you please tell him why he's an idiot and don't hold back.

A similar question produced this rant

youtube.com/watch?v=iViv7gLEueQ&t=365s

Any of you ever hydro mod a g shock? I think I want to try it on my 5600. Also just ordered polarizing film to do a negative display.

Link in case anyone wants it:

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ALBA-AKA-QUARTZ-V733-5A40-BLUE-679657-WRIST-WATCH-Very-Rare-W0193-/302280051628

I'm just not cool enough for it. Anyone else Ebay surfing? Any freaky watches?

I see lots of vintage watches with the cases in bad condition. Is there a way to have these old fucked up cases replated with shiny metal?

polished yes
replated no

Vintage Japanese watches are all-steel most of the time. Use polishing cloth like Cape Cod for polished surfaces and a finer sanding sponge for brushed. Light pressure, and only a little.

For plated watches there are companies who do watch case replating.

Where to buy this line?

cheetah on the left has had too many cheetos

I would wear it but for that price and the condition of the case it gets a hard pass.

vintage Seiko with plaid?

I'll have to try that.

Got this looking like it had been dragged through gravel, luckily a new crystal does wonders.

Just remember, even if you're doing it by hand and not by a dremel you have to know measure and not go overboard or you'll destroy the edges. You'll probably have to settle for the deepest scratches and dents to remain, but you will get rid of all the haze caused by all the hairline scratches.

Even easier to go overboard with is re-brushing, and if you deviate by just 1° with your strokes it'll look like shit. I recommend practicing on a junker, steel-cased shitter, or a bracelet.

Well the price is kinda steep, but Jap Ebay sellers always do insane sharp macro shots, the ones I got look way better irl than on the pic. Also reading the caseback that watch is plated and not all-steel. So not even the plating has worn off.

How come Japanese take so good care of their watches? Slavs and whites absolutely destroy them.

I'm wearing one right now

Nice. I'm assuming there's a Seiko equivalent with that movement.

Nice piece! How's it run? What year and movement is it?

Hands look like they are in very good shape. That's a great sign. How does it run? Have you had it serviced?

Yes, there were versions of this watch with Seiko branding but otherwise they were the same. My favorite part is the button pusher hidden in the clasp.

Guys what's honest opinion here in MVMT watches?

Had it serviced immediately because when I got it the weight made some disgusting grinding sound.

Currently runs about a minute slow a day, but thats because I've been too lazy to go in and properly calibrate it. It's very consistently 1 minute slow, so once I get it dialed in I expect great things.

Whoever serviced the watch should have adjusted and regulated it when they did. I'd be annoyed if I got a watch back from service running a minute slow.

2$ chinkshit that retards overpay for.

You can still find them on Aliexpress under false name listings occasionally for 3~5$.

Are Vostok Amphibias with Seiko bezels good for wearing with pic related type clothes?

For real? As in real ones on AliExpress? Or just fakes with MVMT branding?

lol no

The more I read about high end movements the more I start to dread owning one worrying about all the issues.. The El Primero for example.. 36,000 bph seems fucking awesome, but reading about punishment that does to the movement.. Shit. What do?

I'm thinking of going Rolex just because of the solid durability.

Can someone talk me out of buying the Seiko baby tuna SRPA83. I want a tuna but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Do i even really want a tuna??

Both come from the same factory anyways.

Buy a Rolex used at near that price

Find me a rolex at $472

Why are Vostoks so THICCCC?

chrono24.co.uk/rolex/index.htm?dosearch=true&query=rolex&sortorder=1

Was this a limited edition or will these restock? Missed out on both the blue and b/w one.

Because they're not? You quartz babby.

Sold out limited edition. I bought all 3.

If it wasn't for the garbage movement filled with ivans semechki and the probably shoddy build, I would totally be all over this

>quartz babby

t. Newfag

Watches were always of reasonable thickness, not 15mm thick

The crystal doesn't have a gasket. It's thicc so when it's under high pressure it seals itself because it flattens and expands into the case. Vostok cases aren't thicc

It's a 200m diver with a domed acrylic crystal and a movement that's not a purpose-built automatic, but a manual wind 2414 with an automatic complication bolted on top.

What did you expect?