MP3 Patents Expiration

Rejoice Sup Forums! This is the day the last MPEG Layer III (MP3) patent expires, so now this format is royalty-free and can be used by everyone for everyone without any problem!

>scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/MPEG_patent_lists#MPEG-1_Audio_Layer_3_patents

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/patents/US5703999
google.com/patents/US5924060
google.com/patents/US6009399
support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/search_play/what-bitrate-does-spotify-use-for-streaming/
telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/20/spotify-crosses-100m-users/
my.mixtape.moe/nwuhvm.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's shit tho

Good I guess. Shame the patent system is so fucked that by the time they expire they're damn near worthless

Just in time for the standard to be completely worthless.

>no 44.1khz support

into the trash

as if it matters, resampling to 48KHz is inconsequential compared to the lossy encoding you're doing anyway

>opus
Yeah, good luck with that market penetration, there.

>by the time they expire they're damn near worthless
is that not the point?

When AAC patents expire?

wasn't there more stupid shit like mp3HD made to keep MP3 encumbered?

>obsolete legacy shit
yeah whatever

You shouldn't be using a lossy codec at all if you're going to bitch about the loss in quality due to a 44.1khz to 48khz conversion.

>obsolete shittier-than-shitty format becomes free
>in a world where vorbis and opus exist

But the MP3HD patents are irrelevant to the original MP3 patents. Those are more like an extension of the original format.

I just find the idea that someone can claim ownership of mathematical concepts to be fucked itself.

good. i had to "buy" a license to install mp3 codec on my OLPC when I had it.

I find the concept of entire life forms (or part of them) being patentable to be even more fucked up.

At least patents do expire. It would be horrible of we had the terms being equivalent to copyright terms which last for 80-120 years or however long the lawmakers and Disney feel like extending it to.

>vorbis and opus
Who cares?

This is your last chance to infringe copyright, guys

everyone with half a brain cell that isn't a mainstreamlet that just follows the herd and worships shitty tech

I agree about the technical inferiority of MP3 as a format, but there's still tons of MP3 audio out there in the wild that people want to listen to.

>iTunes will never be able to use flac, vorbis, or opus.
>None of the other media players have the features I use in iTunes.

ogg is better anyway.

Why does gnome best DE?

This. Can't use any of my AAC files on VDJ

wot features

>tfw Apple Music on Itunes 64bit Windows 10
kill me already

>iTunes
Found your problem.

Winamp does everything iTunes does and more. You get a few hundred visualisers included compared to the one on iTunes, customisable sort functions, FLAC support, equaliser presets saved to individual tracks, fade out instead of pause/stop, no locked DRM shit, etc. etc.

Not related. inb4ban

Copying the file by dragging it off the playlist, auto-organizing my files when imported into iTunes, having the song list not be a playlist, and having a file count for total songs.

Now tell me one audio player device that supports those formats out-of-the-box.

iTunes is shit though, at least on Windows. Slow as fuck to start, wont auto detect deleted files from the library and remove them, confusing syncing process, random missing album artwork

Imagine my shock when I got my first iPhone this and realize i must use this pos

I just organize everything in musicbee now, export my auto playlists to .pls and drag them into itunes, but artwork still often won't be picked up by iTunes... It needs to be redesigned from the ground up

>It needs to be redesigned from the ground up
This but only for windows. ffs its impossible to use

just use copytrans manager if you're on windows

Fakenews, there is two to go:
Patent 5,924,060: August 29, 2017
Patent 5,703,999: December 30, 2017

For my lossy needs I use ogg/vorbis q6.0 anyway. MP3 has long been dead to me

winamp is dead or i would still use it

But the mp3 still a shit.

>2017
>still using mp3
>not being on mp4 already
lmao lol

I did a quick search and I didn't see the mention of MPEG Layer III in any way, shape, or form in those patents.
google.com/patents/US5703999
google.com/patents/US5924060

Unlike Patent US6009399, the one that expired today.
google.com/patents/US6009399

So show me how those patents are related to MP3, if you say they are.

The only reason I have mp3 is because my chinese cartoon CDs from the cat tracker come in FLAC or MP3.

Download FLAC and convert to Vorbis if you don't need to keep it lossless

>mp3 is an audio format
>mp4 is a stream container
>not the same things
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

I used to do it, but then I started seeding. What a conundrum.

>google.com/patents/US5924060
the first one mentions ISO/IEC 11172-3 in the very description
it doesn't matter, though, it's about joint stereo, which is a shit feature

the second literally just describes rate controlled transform coding of audio, which should never have been granted for being way too broad and definitely applies to MP3 and almost everything else

why do you think patents have to call out specific standards to apply to them? that's not how it works. if the technology described in the patent is used then that technology is encumbered by that patent.

>ISO/IEC 11172-3
Well, I will give you that.

>the second literally just describes rate controlled transform coding of audio
But that would mean all audio formats are ruled by this patent, even the open standards. That's the reason I am sure there is a workaround or alternative way to do this, that would be appliable to the open formats, or even MP3.

nearly any android phone afaik

>the loss in quality due to a 44.1khz to 48khz conversion
uwot

>software patents
fucking americans

Oh wow, some interesting new on Sup Forums for a change. Thanks OP.

There will be a nigh-imperceptible loss in quality due to a 44.1-48khz resample.

>repeating yourself
back that up with literally any math

any good resampler is lossless for either the original frequency range if upsampling or the new frequency range if downsampling

Android phones have shitty DACs, shitty speakers and shitty audio-processing hardware in general.

shitty one > none

and yet you insist in using a shittier format such as mp3

Firstly 44.1-48khz always causes rounding errors, secondly these errors can be for the most part eliminated depending on the software you use, but again it is never perfect.

I'm just saying it's a total non-issue if you're using a lossy codec in the first place. If you are concerned about quality to that extent it's better to use FLAC or something.

MP3 V0 > All

you can't just keep saying things as if that alone is evidence, show me ANY proof that there are frequency differences even non-detectable in a resample of that type.

Just fucking google it you autistic nigger I'm not going to give you a rigorous mathmatical proof.

Opus saves a lot of money, that's why Google is pushing it with VP9. It's not a couple of neckbeards thinking it's better, it's measurable better.

Other companies will follow.

nigger

Can AIMP automatically organize files that I import like in iTunes?

>Winamp is dead
Mine works just fine 15 years later.

it works excellently to this day, and there is nothing that rivals is in terms of utility and customization.

I don't know when do you used the last time an Android phone, cause any 2016> phone have like perfect DAC.

44.1 is a mistake.

HE-AACv2 is better on 26 kbps.

source?

>tfw when reencoding shitty mp3s as flac and dumbasses online gobble them up

MP3 is already past its prime. Hundreds of millions of people listen to their music in Vorbis now.

support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/search_play/what-bitrate-does-spotify-use-for-streaming/

> having the song list not be a playlist
You mean like tab in foobar is only list of songs unless you save them as playlist?
> Copying the file by dragging it off the playlist
foobar have that behavior
> auto-organizing my files when imported into iTunes
foo_facets and other similar things.

Can patents be renewed at the last moment?

Ironically, shilling for Vorbis and Opus is basically following the herd

>streaming
On top of that
>~96 kbps
>Normal quality on mobile.

Might as well keep using MP3.

My phone and tablet don't have enough local storage space for my Spotify library.

What's wrong with streaming?

If you are streaming then you are not qualified to complain about quality.

I'm well satisfied with Ogg Vorbis 320 kbps.

>spotify
>hundreds of millions

fucking lol'd

I thought it wasn't until the end of the year till patents fully expired.

But it's true.

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/20/spotify-crosses-100m-users/

vinyl is superior.

my.mixtape.moe/nwuhvm.zip

source: my ear

>moving parts
>can't fit in your pocket
>will sound terrible in a few years
>"portable" players are big and bulky
>useless now that music is commonly digitally mastered

The only reason you'd go vinyl in 2017 is for hipster fashion and status.

Sure, but aren't they going bankrupt?

>will sound terrible in a few years
muh rotational velocidensity

>"name any device"
>names a whole family of devices
>"not that one"
simply erin

Using Windows 10
Does iTunes still use software rendering on literally everything still?

nice meme

Apple software on Windows is always shit.

What did this mean before and what does it mean now?

A) it does have 44.1kHz support if you desperately need it
B) there are reasons it doesn't support it by default

How many of those are inactive accounts?

>mp3
No one cares

Opus or bust at this point

back then if you used mp3 to make money in any way (sell your music in mp3, stream a commercial radio station in mp3 etc) you had to pay royalties if your annual income from utilizing mp3 was above a limit.

Listening to mp3 was always free and if you were under the limit creating it was free too.

>implying anyone here could spot the difference between a music playing in mp3 or any other format

They rarely profit from paying off labels, I've heard