Alright. I'm going to finally bite the bullet and see what the rave is all about

alright. I'm going to finally bite the bullet and see what the rave is all about.

what linux should i switch over too Sup Forums?

i need something that's user friendly enough for an advanced windows user yet something that will help me grow and learn more about computing in general as i dive more into it.

so what will it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lizdpoZj_vU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mint

Kali

This

I'd go cinnamon DE. Best setup for Linux noob.

Ubuntu
don't listen to this troll

Manjaro has a user friendly installation, a serviceable graphical package manager, and tends to not break. I'd recommend the XFCE flavor, since it is similar to Windows and looks nice.

what do these operating systems offer once i get ahead of the game and begin my life as a virtual nomad?

Your options are:

ArchLinux - ( you might catch bits about commands while installing and it's straight forward + it's a rolling release ) - youtube.com/watch?v=lizdpoZj_vU

Ubuntu - it has a unique desktop environment and comes with lots of pre-instaled software, pretty much you can do shit out of the box.

Neon KDE - it's Ubuntu with latest KDE files in its repo and pretty much a clean install - you have to start installing your own shit.

These are the easy / strong options for linux - there are many more, but I would suggest starting with these as you get both the best stuff alongside easy to use problem free environments - once you figure stuff out ( less than a week if you dedicate ) you can start to use anything which presents your interests.

I'd say Ubuntu MATE or Ubuntu GNOME. They're very stable now and take care of some of the shittier aspects of Linux (proprietary drivers, non-free software) so you can have a working system and learn as you go. Even though it's not "Windows"-like; the GNOME 3 option is actually working out in the long run and things are coming together very well. Otherwise stick with MATE. All the people who've never used Linux before that I've shown distros to tend to like a MATE or Mint desktop or XFCE best.

>advanced
>windows user
pick one

In all seriousness though, don't let anyone trick you into using Mint. It's just Ubuntu but it comes with non-free codecs, so you miss out on a learning experience and still have any flaws that Ubuntu comes with. Not to mention that it's handled unprofessionally and insecurely.

I'd recommend something with KDE (not Kubuntu) or Cinnamon.

newest version of fedora

or do whatever you want I dont really care

Oh forgot to mention the KDE environment is modern, full of features and it's basically a windows based interface.

On the other side if u go with arch you can try XFCE if you want to opposite, functional simplistic desktop environment - which looks ugly out of the box but the customization is endless and you can learn more by doing it.

Ubuntu has an incredible amount of documentation available. if you have an error, odds are good that someone else has had it to and it's been solved. Linux distros are all basically the same though. Don't get hung up on the distro, just focus on learning how to poweruse unix-likes.

>You have the freedom to choose between 40 different broken OSes

Manjaro, being based off of Arch, has all of it's features such as Arch User Repository and command line focus. Also the setup will allow you to set a separate /home/ partition (where all of your user files go), so you can easily distro-hop. You can use the i3 version of Manjaro, which is a tiling (favored by ricers) window manager.

This whole thread is testament to how Linux will never become unified.

All the distros are basically the same shit and any distro can be made to behave identically to any other one if you want. I think the "fragmentation" positives outweigh the negatives. Unification is a slippery slope that usually leads to mediocrity

Witnessed
Id go for mint XCFE
It's the best for learning if you're coming from windows, Its also what I use for my Linux distro of choice.

Fedora is the only one made by successful white men for successful white men. Fedora, Arch, Debian, and Gentoo are literally the only distros you should ever use.

openSUSE is the only linux that offers thumbnail preview in Firefox's file picker by default.

>people actually switch to it for this reason

it's also available in a portage overlay

LFS

loonix is a meme have fun spending 40 years on drivers

t. pajeet

Don't know what you're talking about. I have it on Mint, without having changed anything.

no you don't. post a screenshot of firefox's file picker showing thumbnails

Unironically this, and I ain't even a fan

>what linux should i switch over too Sup Forums?
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Windows 10, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

Linux is a meme

Debian GNU/Hurd.
It just works.

is this pasta?

Gentoo or fedora

ubuntu is the obvious choice

Yes, it's ancient. I think the original was talking about Windows XP.

Haven't really been around here in several years and wasn't sure if Sup Forums had deteriorated that much or not.

I mean it has but not to that level just yet.

define meme.

>be me
>git new laptop
>have to use old laptop to get drivers on windows
>install gentoo
>all devices work
Checkmate faggot

dont bother

xubuntu

Mangaka.

Ubuntu is user oriented but it comes with stuff like the "software center" which turns you into a GUI baby. Maybe set your sights on starting with
>every time a window opens I figure out what it is, close it and then learn how to do that same function from the terminal emulator

proper way to do linux:

- install random distro in a vm
- "cool, youtube works, even with sound"
- nothing else to do
- delete vm

repeat

b8

I have this picture saved, too. It's very unsettling.