/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eBvscMLVLEU
debian.org/News/2017/20170417
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644
pedrocr.pt/text/how-much-gnu-in-gnu-linux/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=eBvscMLVLEU
IBM Power9 will be best cpu for linux.
quad-precision natively. 8 threads per core.

First for Leah Rowe.

>The Debian Project is concerned to hear that one of our members, Dmitry Bogatov, has been arrested by Russian authorities.

>Dmitry is a mathematics teacher, and an active Debian contributor. As a Debian Maintainer, he worked in the Debian Haskell group and currently maintains several packages for command line and system tools.

>We await further details of the case against him, but hope that he receives fair treatment and due process.

>In the meantime, the Debian Project has taken measures to secure its systems by removing Dmitry's keys in the case that they are compromised.

>The Debian Project honours his good work and strong dedication to Debian and Free Software, and we hope he is back as soon as possible to his endeavours.

>We send our full support to him and his family.

debian.org/News/2017/20170417

Why does this echo the hostname of the computer I am calling the script from and not the hostname of the computer where the function ssh-s into?

foo() {
ssh -p 22 user@"$1" /bin/bash

>>Dmitry is a mathematics teacher, and an active Debian cont
Lol.
>being a coder
>in Russia
>2017

ssh user@"$1" hostname

Still getting the hostname of the computer I am executing the script from and not the remote computer's hostname.

Are you sure you're actually sshing into a different computer with a different hostname? It works for me.

It works when I do what you wrote, but not when I use it with the here document.
Using here documents to execute scripts via ssh seems the easiest way. When I do "hostname" or "echo $HOSTNAME" with that, it gives me the local hostname and not the remote one.

Can I get any more weeb than this?

how do you make latest ungoogled-chromium to work on arch?

>Using here documents to execute scripts via ssh seems the easiest way.
Sounds like a terrible idea. Don't do it.

It works for me too though.

How can I execute multiple commands via ssh without having to type my password for every line? I don't want to use key-based authentication.

What here document?

Want to dualboot gentoo with w10. Where is a guide how to do it but as I understand guide is made for one drive installation. I have w10 on ssd and want to install gentoo on hdd. What different steps do I need to take with this setup?

The one from the example here .

Nothing in particular, but the drive with GNU/Linux should be the one to host the bootloader.

SSH into it and type the commands one by one, just like you would in any shell. If you want to script it, put the script on the server.

>I don't want to use key-based authentication.
Unless you're using ssh from a different or untrusted machine every time, there's no reason not to use keys.

Not him, but i just discover (a minute ago) that drag&drop works, so thumbnail is not needed anymmore for me, i just let thunar opened in my 2nd screen

Solved it by escaping $HOSTNAME like \$HOSTNAME. No idea why it works.

>put the script on the server.
This is so complicated. My mind is so lost when I think about all the approaches. What I have now works, despite being really ugly and hacky.

Ehhh, Unity.

I love these frogs please post more so I don't hang myself

Will I be able to use hdd as shared drive if I install gentoo on ssd?

>I love these frogs please post more so I don't hang myself
I don't want to be called "dumb frogposter", Sup Forums people are often mean, but take this one.

How does a tor exit node know the public key of the client?

Which is the best distro and why is it Debian Stable ?

It tried searching for things like "glsl kde" but apparently I'm the only one retarded enough to have considered GPU accelerated effects for my desktop.
Meh.

how uptodate is it with backports enabled?
I'd rather choose unstable.

nobody knows, what a surprise

whats a neat wifi program i can use to manage connections? must work with wpa2 personal and enterprise
or
how could i configure wpa_supplicant to automatically connect to a network that i have a profile for?

If KDE is so good, why did Ubuntu choose GNOME?

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644

>russia
someone nuke this shithole

Only recently fully switched to linux fulltime. Used it on my laptop for years, never on my desktop. Got fed up with how windows tends to break often.
Anyhow, is gpu passthrough possible with only one gpu & display? I only got as far as executing a shell script for KVM and being stuck on a black screen, plus every guide required an nvidia gpu, and I personally have an amd card. Can I still successfully run a vm with gpu passthrough?

I'm curious about this too. I'd like to do passthrough with only one GPU.

>Anyhow, is gpu passthrough possible with only one gpu & display?
Absolutely.
It's definitely less convenient because once you boot up the virtual machine you lose the display on the host machine but it's doable.

>fully switched to linux fulltime
>first thing I need to do is running Windows

why are you quoting that? it's clear to everyone in this thread that linux has horrible support for directx applications, including software & games, the two arguably most popular selling points of windows.

Also my advise is to really get a second storage device for your windows partition.
Dualbooting is a bad idea imho because Windows updates love to screw up with the bootloader setup.
Separate storage devices fix the problem

I love arch - but they should definitely fix the logo

I can't get this image out of my head.

There's also a nsfw one - can I post it if I spoiler it?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

When his first worry after "fully" switching to Linux is how to continue running Windows he probably shouldn't have swtiched "fully" in the first place. Dual booting would have been the better option here anyway.

>spoiler on Sup Forums

They could just steal the Nine Inch Nails logo or something.

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system "Linux" is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

I could just edit the image so it reveal only when you click it but it's still nsfw that way - yea fuck it people can just google.

>Murdock died on 28 December 2015 in San Francisco.[11][12][13] Though initially no cause of death was released,[14][15] in July 2016 it was announced his death had been ruled a suicide.[16][17] The police confirmed that the cause of death was due to asphyxiation caused by hanging himself with a vacuum cleaner electrical cord.
But why?

systemd

Debian = Debra + Ian

figure out the rest

Damn, bluez + pulseaudio is such an unholy combination of shit software.
Even 20$ chink mp3 players handle Bluetooth headsets better than Linux.

8% code contribution is such a big merit that it should have a prefix in the name LOL.

Then why not call it BIOS/MICROCODE/GNU/Linux ?

Or If I'm a 8% share holder at a big corporation should they put my name in front of the corporation name?

Why don't we just call it Other?

It doesn't matter how muh GNU you're using just like it doesn't matter how much Windows your're using; there's not reason to call Windows just NT or GNU just Linux.

Fixed this for you.

>gnome 5%
>gnu 8%
>total of 13%
windows users blown the fuck out.

whoever made this graph is a complete retard
whats the source of this calculations?
a distro running a mixture of gnome and kde?
also gnome is a gnu project

pedrocr.pt/text/how-much-gnu-in-gnu-linux/

Is removing avahi and it's dependencies on antergos hard/worth it? I'm never going to use a printer so i won't need cups and everything else like weather and maps and piss feels like bloat to me.

>hard
no
>worth it
no

muh minimalism

On that note; anyone experimented with a classic lpd on Linux?
I hate CUPS and prefer NetBSD's lpd.

Other than Arch, what are some good rolling release distros that don't come with a DE?

gentoo

opensuse tumbleweed

there literally aren't any, and it pisses me off because arch would be the perfect distro if the dev's weren't such lazy pieces of shit that they delete the beginner's guide and refuse to make an installer because they don't feel like maintaining them

manjaro netinst

Hm okay.
So whether I want to run windows on a VM, or dual boot, either way I should get a second SSD.

That kinda sucks, since 1TB ones are pretty expensive now.
I have a 1TB 840 evo. I could get a 525GB MX300 for $145.
There's so many Vulkan games coming that run on Linux that I might actually fill that crap up pretty fast.
I don't want to wait until black friday to be able to get a 1TB for $200. So I don't know.

Antergos has the option to have no de.

what do you call a client?

What are some cool terminal commands?

cowsay

rm -rf /

the user

void
literally the perfect distro
>actually minimalist and simple unlike arch because it split packages
>logical policy on nonfree software: it's easy to keep it out of your system, and easy to enable if you're a gaymer loser
>no systemd garbage
>uses superior minimalist runit instead of openrc, systemd and boilerplate init script garbage
>rolling release, faster packages than arch (newer kernels, and it has GNOME 3.24 before arch, despite it not being supported...)
>no portage/compilation autism

>GNOME is a GNU project
>somehow it's accepted that gnome is totally controlled by red hat and freedesktop.org, with 90% of its developers literally being paid red hat employees
How did this happen?

I want something like putting your PC in hibernation, but I can shut off my computer completely and when I start it up again it's in the exact same state as when it was before I shut it off. Does this sort of functionality exist?

it's sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root / you fucking normie

or just rm -rf ~
more portable

This one is pretty cool, makes bash display random smileys:
:(){ :|:& };:

>--no-preserve-root
busybox does not have this problem

Usage: rm [-irf] FILE...

Remove (unlink) FILEs

Options:
-i Always prompt before removing
-f Never prompt
-R,-r Recurse

do you faggots feel proud for reposting it the 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 time? holy shit

Since you replied, at least now they do, you dummy.

Reposts on Sup Forums?
Stop the presses!

being part of the GNU project is literally just appending GNU in front of the name.
The rules of entry are lax and pretty much the only hard requirement is being licensed under GPL and the willingness to represent GNU project with it.
Even transferring copyrights to FSF is optional. FSF will help you in case of a license violation if you chose to do so, but you're free to decide yourself.

Even if by GNU/FSF ruling a non-corporate-affiliated code maintainer (there are many in large projects) is appointed, there's nothing that stops corporate entities from contributing to it and becoming the majority of contributors.

GPL warrants it.

hibernation to disk is the process you described.
What you incorrectly called "hibernation" is actually sleep

You'll have a bad time on linux buddy.

Can the /fglt/ terminal ruler be GNU project?
GNU ruler, or gnuler.

for n in $(seq `tput cols`);{ x=-;((n%5))||x=+;((n%10))||x=\|;echo -n $x;}

It asks the last relay on the circuit to pass the handshake forward to the new one, encrypted with the lasts' public key.

Is there a distro that's nothing but gcc? Like not even the full kernel, just
>boot computer
>write kernel mode C program
>computer compiles the program to a new partition, gives it a boot entry, and shuts down

GNU/Linux*

Does the /fglt/ ruler even have a license?
Posting code without a free license is automatically proprietary (c) Author.

And what then?

just write your own

Forgot to mention. Pic from the tor paper.

Your shell probably looks up the $ substitution prior to running the command, whereas it's passed to ssh the way you want it to be when you escape it.

neat, saved as alias gnuler

>Posting code without a free license is automatically proprietary (c) Author.
Doesn't that depend on the country?
I thought in America all works without copyright are public domain.

network manager

I'm crashing the computer.