/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-6700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 , RX480, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>470 is all you need for 1080p
>Wait for RX 580 in a few days
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>Vega comes in May

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Save money w/ mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/3Ryh8K
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/tHb39W
pcpartpicker.com/list/JFyh8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/XVVppb
pcpartpicker.com/list/zkHHKZ
helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/setting-system.html#specify_scratch_disks_to_improve_system_performance
pcpartpicker.com/list/qhX8vV
logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/FTyh8K
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MvkY7h
ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Devils-Canyon-4GHz-Quad-Core-CPU-Processor-er-/182524596262?hash=item2a7f505026:g:vKcAAOSwmgJY63wb
walmart.com/ip/CyberPowerPC-Gamer-Series-GUA4000W-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Vishera-FX-8320-Processor-16GB-Memory-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home-Monitor-Not-Include/51578207
pcpartpicker.com/list/b3hfjc
amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9X3F8F/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-353-093
pcpartpicker.com/list/TF7Lnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/fZsTRG
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Replaced the 7700k recommendation with 6700k in the OP. It's 99% the same shit overclocked, after all.
Tired of so many people getting Kabylakes that need to be delided. I don't know what the stats are, but it sure seems like a high as fuck number of people are getting 7700ks that idle at 45-55C and need deliding. It's much less common for the 6700k to need a delid.

is it hard to change my graphic card?
can it destroy my pc if i do it bad?
how to choose a graphic card?

Is this a good deal?
25,000 GBP =31,417.13USD

Muh guts

No.
Possible, but very unlikely.
Pick a card that suits your use case and/or budget.

It doesn't seem that bad for a prebuilt with customized hard tubed watercooling.

fine, thank you user

No, you can't really break anything. But does your PSU even have 8 and/or 6 pin connectors for a GPU?
In a PC that bad, it might not, and may rely on PCIe power alone.

>how to choose a graphic card?
Depends on your location, but in the US and most of the europe the RX470 is the cheapest one worth buying.

>I didn't even know a GPU as bad as the 705 existed

Is there a cheaper alternative to a MSI Gaming Radeon RX 480?
I can't find it cheaper than $240,

idk the sapphire nitro 8gb was $190 yesterday after rebait. Did you search newegg and amazon, and filter by cheapest?

Anything over $200, I wouldn't even buy it except maybe an XFX GTR. RX580s are $240-$270, it looks like.

Hey,

I'm a beginner and here's my question :

How does one practice PC building ? I mean it's expensive to buy an entire one so...

I did.
Should I just get the MSI RX 470?
I'm doing a budget build

Did I do good anons
pcpartpicker.com/list/3Ryh8K
Bought in December

read the parts manuals and try not to sperg out

> >I didn't even know a GPU as bad as the 705 existed
Jesus hold my sides, it's worse than igpu.

>+∞%

The RX470 4GB is like over 90% as fast as the RX480 4GB.

I'd recommend the RX470 4GB for budget 1080p 60fps+ and the RX480 8GB for 1440p.

is this bait? You spent nearly as much on an i5-6500 and a $40 cooler that you could have gotten an i7-6700 for.

I guess much of Sup Forums were being tards and still recommending i5s back then even though it's been clear since like 2015 that i5s are a waste of money except in very niche cases then and none now.

hard to say about my PSU, i've never opened it.
don't you think AMD GPU's are bad for video games?

Come on OP! Stop with these shitty thread pictures

I'm a total retard, do I need a radiator for a NZXT S340 case?

Looking to build a decent gaming machine that can dual boot OSX, this is what I've got in mind. Any recommendations? Not sure how I feel about the motherboard.

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/tHb39W

I would have guessed that, senpai.

I bet it's based on the GTX400 series or something like that, and just die shrunk. It's not a "GK" die like the 710 or 720M.
That's the shit Nvidia used to do back in those days. I doubt it's actually Keplar.

you understand now why do i need to change it :(
i don't even understand why they put a powerful CPU with the most shitty GPU

Ordered the RX 470 actually myself yesterday. Was still rocking a GTX 670 but then the idea of selling it came to me.

Selling the 670 for about 60 and then buying the card ( on a huge sale ) for 175 will cost me merely 115 for a huge difference in graphical fidelity.

Just saw some benchmarks on the Witcher 3 and that ran amazing on high settings with that card. Ofcourse the guy used fast RAM and a high end processor but still, am probably gonna have some fun when this comes in the mail.

>ordering a 470 tomorrow when Rx500s come out literally tomorrow
You goddamn retard refund that shit tight now

This is the build I'm looking to buy
pcpartpicker.com/list/JFyh8K

>don't you think AMD GPU's are bad for video games?
No? What? Their architecture and drivers are objectively better outside of perf-watt (but much of that lower perf/watt is offset by lower CPU usage).
They don't have big dies to compete against 1070 and up. But since you're upgrading from a 705, I'm guessing you have a 1080p 60hz monitor. It would be stupid to get more than an RX470 or RX570.

Depends on the price he got it for. I'm assuming he meant 175 euros so RX570 might cost more.

But why?
>i5
>$220 for an RX470
>shitty PSU
>dogshit wifi usb thing instead of getting a better one on the motherboard for basically free
>2666 ram on a board that supports 2400 mac
>$700 for this dogshit

Sorry user I'm literally retarded and have never built a PC before

oh ok thank you very much, i have a last question user. i've been told my new gpu should be compatible with my motherboard; can you tell me how to check if it is?

>30,000 dollars

What?

No way, i've got it for 175 Euros, that shit's way too cheap. On top of that, the 5XX Series is merely rebranded right?

the 470 is the perfect choice given that the generally cheapest 470's are 210Eu AT LEAST.

Is the memory compatible with the MOBO? the highest frequency I see is 2400 whilst you have chosen for 2666 memory.

The RX 580 Cards should be out tomorrow, right?

Not sure, haven't been following GPU news a lot. Although i'm cautious because of Vega, another reason to get a cheap card now and invest in a Vega card when it comes out.

If getting an RX470, the price to look for is $110-$130 USD or Bong, or about 170 for EUR. They were these prices like every day 1-6 weeks ago.
They spiked in prices so you'll have to wait. Probably due to people doing Ryzen builds and finding out that Nvidia cards can run super shit on Ryzen in many games by AMD ones are super smooth most of the time.
Expectation is that they'll drop down to $130 or less again over the week with RX570s coming out which MSRP at like $170.

Yes. Some are already out in some stores.

idk dude what is your motherboard, PSU, and GPU?
You need the right PCIe generation support for the motherboard to match the GPU, and your PSU needs 8 and/or 6 pins to match the GPU power connector.

What PSU wattage for a ryzen 5 1600 or 1600X and a RX 480 gpu ?
400W is enough ?

So far does it seem like a 580 will be worth it or should I just pick up a 480 at a hopefully reduced price?

for what purpose ?

What is the best gaming build for under $700?

If it's a good quality PSU, 400 is enough.
Do you have a monitor to see your wattage? If you're overclocking, you will want to see that it's not passing too high with the voltage you give it.

pcpartpicker.com/list/XVVppb if you can bother to OC. 1500X if you won't.

Yes, it looks like the non-reference RX580s will be great for 1440p.
If you're doing 1080p 60fps, a 4GB RX470 is all you needed.

I'm building a computer for video editing. Some guy on Reddit told me not to get an R7 and go for the 7700k which seems odd to me.

Here's my part list:
CPU: R7 1700 - $318
GPU: GTX 1050 ti - $145
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB - $110
SSD: SanDisk 240GB - $74
HDD: WD 3TB Blue 5400rpm - $91
Motherboard: MSI ATX Tomahawk - $94
Power Supply: EVGA 500W - $36
Case: whatever is cheap and doesn't look like a power ranger - $40
Total: $905

Should I try to make a build with the 7700 and 7700k to compare to this one?

Should I make any changes to the above rig that will increase performance substantially with only minor cost increase?

In reality when you get high end processors for hobby video editing or editing at a slow pace (No hardcore deadlines present) the type of processor osn't that important. A 1700 will run great just like a 7700k.

The ram is important though so 16GB should be fine.

I used to do professional editing on a FX-6300 and that ran fine too.

>Do you have a monitor to see your wattage? If you're overclocking, you will want to see that it's not passing too high with the voltage you give it.
It's for a future build. I don't think I'll OC since I'm just gonna put it on a quiet case which isn't great when it comes to OC.
I was gonna pick a be quiet 400W gold certified.

>If you're doing 1080p 60fps, a 4GB RX470 is all you needed.
>b-but muuh future proof

but weren't the R7 better on anything but video games compared to the 7700K ?

here's my build: pcpartpicker.com/list/zkHHKZ

not sure if the ram is worth getting though.
also i already have an ssd

>leddit
Dont bother with them. Obviously they cannot comprehend in their pea sized brains that a cheaper 8 or 6 core CPU is better than a cpu that runs at 50C° idle

>reddit
Sup Forums tier advice

Your build looks pretty good, but you should probably get a small NVMe to use as a scratch disk.
Almost all production apps will have an option to set a scratch disk which improves performance a lot
helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/setting-system.html#specify_scratch_disks_to_improve_system_performance

>Should I try to make a build with the 7700k to compare to this one?
Don't bother. R7 is just the best overall for production except when you need over 64GB of RAM.

Not always true. Previewing even in audio programs will leave to samples dropping on a 7700k. Similar happens with video editing, where you can't smoothly scroll through the preview with a big video on a 7700k.
You can certainly get by with a 7700k, but it's not as good for it.

Why not get the Seasonic 420W fanless? It'll pull 600watt fine if you really need to as long as you have positive case pressure and your ambient temps aren't 100+ degrees

Future proof is saving $100 more to replace the card later.
The 470 on average gets like 75 FPS on games from the past few years. There's only a few you'd have to turn settings down and hardly see a difference.
Game requirements haven't exploded like they used to ever since GCN dropped.

>420 watt psu pulling 600w
Excuse me but what

How good of a case is the Corsair 200R? Pic related.

I'm not sure regarding quality but the 270R is about the same price last I checked.

Get the ASRock pro4 mATX. It's $75 and another $10 off if you review it and submit that to ASRock, and a much better board. And get the Ripjaws or Geil RAM that's cheaper. Why pay more for corsair?
And get a 1600 instead if you'll overclock it, but otherwise the 1500X is fine.

>420 watt psu pulling 600w
>Excuse me but what
It's hilariously overbuilt in order to be able to deliver 420W with no fan, at high ambient temps, with no airflow except convection.
Most good PSUs are very underrated.
There is no arbitrary cut off limit on them when you surpass some wattage. They shut down based on sensors showing they aren't stable or are too hot, not because you pull too much wattage.

Go google it if you don't believe me.

It's ok. I don't like the lack of dust filters, though.
Shopping for cases is a pain.

I know. It's super hard to know which ones are aestheticly pleasing and have enough features without going into gaymur territory. I have nailed down something in the $60-$80 range but I have no idea what to get that's plain but quality and functional.

i think ill wait for the bios updates and reviews before i get a motherboard. Thanks for the advice on the ram though

Need a good 1080p 60fps budget build for around 600$, can anyone help me out?

I'm building a gaming rig for my gf. Is this decent? Any modifications?

pcpartpicker.com/list/qhX8vV

thats gonna be hard

but use this website to help you logicalincrements.com/

get a ryzen 5 cpu

For what fucking purpose..

>my gf
>relevancy to the question = 0

normies literally cant stop bragging about their gfs

60fps minimum? That's hard like the other user said because usually that'd mean a g4560+rx470 but the g4560 will stutter and drop under 60fps in lots of games, and just won't plain run over 60 at all on some, too. If you can stretch to $700 pcpartpicker.com/list/XVVppb

>I'm building a gaming rig for my gf.
>1050ti for $150
get her a better boyfriend imo

That website never seems to help anyone.
They put an i3-1600 with a 1050 on a z270 board based on it.

A rad is part of water cooling setup. If you're using a closed-loop (AIO) water cooler it will come with the appropriate radiator and fan(s) to be mounted in the appropriate spot. If you're using a traditional air cooler then no, no rad. If you're doing custom loop water cooling and asking this question then save time and stop what you're doing and just throw your PC in the trash.

pcpartpicker.com/list/FTyh8K

Holy shit. I just realized how much he was spending for such a shitty PC despite already having the CPU paid for.

I'd get the ASRock pro4 and not pair an Nvidia GPU with the Ryzen, though.

Sell that CPU. It's trash. 3.0ghz old quad core. I'm pretty sure even a G4560 would outperform it in most cases. Maybe you can get 50bux for it from tards that really don't understand what they're buying on ebay.
Was Haswell after they fixed how you could overclock locked intel CPUs by hardware locking them?

PSA
Geil memory of this ID works good at advertised clocks on Gigabyte boards.

GEX416GB3200C16DC

I'm running Phenom II x4 965 with Asrock 970 extreme 3 with Gainward GTX 960. What Mobo/CPU combo could I replace it with if I wanted a smoother 720p or eventually 1080p gaming on a 400$ budget.

retard here, i'm trying to overclock my FX 6300 and I can achieve 4.0 ghz but I can't go any higher. I was hoping to atleast get it to 4.2 or even higher but it isn't stable

any tips or is that as far as it's willing to go?

You can get a 1600+mobo+ram for $400 easy, dude.
That GPU is pretty garbage, but meh, just replace it later.

not sure if this is right thread
can anybody recommend a cheap trackball for me, available on Amazon UK?

No its just that the cpu prices arent up. He doesnt have the purchased setting on. Hes still retarded though

What the best Ryzen 1600 build?

I could do that for you, but whats your budget?

I don't see why 1.4v wouldn't be fine as long as you have the cooling and VRM cooling.
4.0 at 1.24v actually looks good for that chip afaik.

You'll spend more in electricity than if you just upgraded, though.

what does "best" mean? is probably the best for a reasonable $700 budget without skimping on too much.

Thanks man. I was kinda wary of going for that since it seems like too much muscle for my needs but I guess I should finally go into 2017. What RAM is good for 1600? The faster the better?

Can anyone recommend a cheap NAS build for streaming plex content? Should I go pre-built or build from scratch?

Ha, yeah. It's pretty overpowered but.. the 2500k and 2600k seemed like that when they came out, too.

You could just get a 1500X, that's still a big upgrade, but if you're willing to overclock the 1600 is unbeatable value.

Sorry if i did not specify.

Below $1k budget. CAD/Rendering use with very little gaming, also I'll be getting 2-32" 4k monitor separately.

Sorry.
Cad/rendering, very little gaming below $1k budget.

So this is a good one? Its pretty cheap on Amazon right now

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MvkY7h
thoughts?

You can likely make a 1700 build for that. Depends if you need NVMe or not.
I know Blender supports OpenCL now and the RX480 is much better than the 1060 if you use that.

Look at the other builds and try and put one together.

Is what what?

ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Devils-Canyon-4GHz-Quad-Core-CPU-Processor-er-/182524596262?hash=item2a7f505026:g:vKcAAOSwmgJY63wb

>Intel Core i7-4790K Devils Canyon - 4GHz Quad-Core CPU Processor er
>Item condition:New
>Price: £10.33
>Postage: Free Services from outside UK
>Item location:张家界市, 湖南省, China
>Seller: ynv413796_9 (0 )

what did he mean by this?

I know you guys are gonna rip me to fucking shreds for asking this here but it's worth it.

Not interested in building a pc right now, I want to buy the pc already assembled as I need it for my business ASAP!

It's this pc okay for, photoshop, text editing, light video editing, multiple browsers running at once with multiple tabs open. Not really interested in the gaming shit, as I'll use this pc for my business only.

I currently have a crappy asus laptop on intel i3 and this shit can't handle my pc usage habit.

Here's comes the link....are you ready to call me a massive faggot?

Here goes... walmart.com/ip/CyberPowerPC-Gamer-Series-GUA4000W-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Vishera-FX-8320-Processor-16GB-Memory-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home-Monitor-Not-Include/51578207

Please let me if this is good for what I need it for.

>reddit formatting
>r7 250 gpu
faggot

What changes would you recommend?

Horizonal mATX mobo on cube case
- Front panel can only have one fan (12 to 20 cm)
- Top panel can take either 12 or 14cm fans
- Back pannel can take one 12 or 14cm fan
- CPU cooler is stock AMD Spire
- RAM is xboxhueg (6cm tall) because reasons

I'm completely lost on what pressure configuration should I use, and configuring the back fan as intake creates a really annoying hissing sound. Most standard tower coolers blowing to the back side would block RAM and the only top blowing one that does not is fucking expensive (Noctua C14S)

Is the MSI B350 Tomahawk still experiencing extremely long POST times?

Use the return button much?
>also
>fx

>I could do that for you, but whats your budget?
Not him but it would be great to get a second opinion or alternative build to what i have in mind. I'd really appreciate some input.
I don't really know how much i should invest into a Ryzen build. I assume DDR5 and AM5 (or whatever) won't be a thing until 2020 or later, but then i'd like to upgrade since DDR5 should be a considerable improvement if we look at past DDR improvements.
Budget: about 1000€ without GPU (will either use my RX470 or upgrade to RX580 or Vega, meaning target is future 1440p freesync upgrade) and case (got R5), the less the better of course, i'm a greedy mountain jew.
Usage: Work (nothing too heavy, mostly light programming and webdev), Gaming but actually no AAA titles, standard desktop music, internet, etc. and probably some encoding etc. for music/movies and chinese cartoons.
Important features: good audio (needs to power my DT880 250 Ohm, my laptop is noisy as fuck), good VRM for stable 24/7 3.9ish OC that won't melt after a year, general reliability
Bonus features: dual BIOS, fan headers, Intel NIC
Things i don't care about: looks, RBG, retarded (((gaming))) features.

Rate? :
pcpartpicker.com/list/b3hfjc

With the deals I find daily, I can get this build for around $554.71.
I have alternatives for the case and PSU:
PSU:
amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9X3F8F/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Case:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-353-093

According to MSI forum unfortunately yes.

Thanks user,
Im using Lumion to render scences, it uses a gaming engine for rendering so a gaming is a benefit.
does the rx480 drive 2-4k monitor?

I want to build a portable desktop for work purposes (heavy GIS utilization), 1080p streaming, and light vidya gaymen (DOTA2). Does this build look ok for my needs?

pcpartpicker.com/list/TF7Lnn

Should I get a 1440p monitor, or should I go for the 144HZ 1080p meme?

I don't really play any competitive games, so I couldn't give a fuck about high framerates.

I hate cube cases, but:
The CPU cooler shhould be blowing down to help cool the VRMs
>200mm in
>2x120mm and 140mm out
That looks like it'll be negative pressure.
Instead of being autistic about "top should always blow out cause heat rises!!!!! and rear blow out.. because!!!!" you should just have the the rear fan blowing in.
You really probably don't even need the fans up top and it's probably overkill.

RX480 8GB is great for 1440p. But not 4K.

You can get 1440p at higher hz. 85-165.
1080p is garbage imo.
I had 1600x1200 for the longest time. I could not drop down to 1920x1080.

I expected some criticism for the link I posted, wasn't expecting you faggots to criticize my way of writing. But this is Sup Forums after all and you guys are faggots.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the pc I'm wanting to buy? Thanks

pcpartpicker.com/list/fZsTRG
Remove cpu cooler and get an R7 if you want more coarz

Why don't you get the pro4? Isn't it still $75-$10 if you review it?
Even if it's up to $75, it's a better fucking board for $5 more.
>geographic information systems
I remember FX were actually good at that stuff. I don't see why the Ryzen wouldn't be as well, and better even. So yeah, seems good.

Make one of those Ryzen 1600 builds posted that are under $700.

Is the Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB Windforce worth it for 250 euros?

I found a Sapphire Radeon RX470 8GB Nitro+ OC for 230 which would you guys recommend?

Ill check out the pro4. Also, I'm concerned my case might be an issue from a heat management perspective. Would I be better off spending a little more for a better case with better ventilation?

Someone?

You already know that prebuilts are overpriced, you already said that we were going to call you a faggot. This is PC ****BUILDING**** general. Go see or make a new thread

>Is the Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB Windforce worth it for 250 euros?
fuck no. It's not even a good model.
The RX580 Aorus looks good on paper, but wait for reviews of it tomorrow or whatever.

>I found a Sapphire Radeon RX470 8GB Nitro+ OC for 230 which would you guys recommend
Why so expensive? You could get an RX480 8GB Nitro+ for $190 yesterday.

Skim the thread. At least ctrl+f it.
Advice for RX cards and price points to look for was given already.

I missed this. Uhh.
You're overpaying for the RX470. That's the MSRP for RX570s afaik.

Spend a little more for a better PSU. Seasonic 550RM should be $50 still at a number of places after rebate.
I don't think the $10 you're saving on slower RAM is worth it.

You could save like $50 going mATX as well.
It's inferior to that