/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/JiXZ2f0t

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

broadwaycomputers.net.au/view/productdetails.php?product=LED125S-30
broadwaycomputers.net.au/view/productdetails.php?product=LED125S
ebay.com/itm/132147806095?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Helpful reminder to not get gimped by sata 2 speeds.

POST YOUR THINKPAD TEMPS RIGHT MEOW

t420s, i7 2620m

~19C. It is off and sitting on my PC.

Anyone know where I could find a list of battery part numbers supported by the x230?

T420
I7-2620m
Im watching Netflix and OSX is an everything hog anyways.

Tell me about the EliteBook 2730p

Hi /tpg/

and here my temps

>Helpful reminder to not get gimped by sata 2 speeds.

My w500

why are thinklights so comfy?

Is 2017 Thinkpad X1 Carbon a meme? How about 2017 Thinkpad X1 Yoga?

I could try to replace my thinklight with 2400K led. Would be even comfier

Post your Thinkpads

I'm gonna replace it with a 50mw laser

and what about 1W and shoot directly into eyes, if anyone try to login and fails

Are these both TN screens?

broadwaycomputers.net.au/view/productdetails.php?product=LED125S-30
broadwaycomputers.net.au/view/productdetails.php?product=LED125S

dumb question inbound

i was given a w530, i replaced the HDD with my SSD

I was getting boot issues related to some strange SSD, turns out theres a 16gb module plugged into the m2sata port or whatever it's called.

Unplugged it and now no problem.

But now i'm wondering, Is there any reason in the world as why i would still use that small "boost ssd", when i replaced the HDD with an actual SSD?

Is it better to just set it up as a little encrypted drive for bank documents and shit?

I think it has something to do with some intel speed boot shit.

and random sidenote:
TO ANYONE WONDERING
YES, CHANGING THE THERMAL PASTE MAKES A DIFFERENCE

On my t420 artic ceramic knocked temps down an average of 8c

not sure if the factory paste is shit, shit because it's old, or shit because they used a fuckton.

Anyone on Linux ever swapped the places of the left side FN and Control keys on their X220/x230?

Want a small laptop bad, but the buttons being placed so retarded I might have to go for an Elitebook.

can I trust these 9-cell batteries that are sold on aliexpress?

eh why not

w530 in the dock
t420 up front
t43 on the right

The *30 series imho feels as good as the *20 series, i think *40 and up starts to feel like shit

but that being said, there is a MASSIVE difference of quality between the t43 and the t420

I've dropped my t420 on a industrial carpet floor, and only broke my ultrabay lock clip which was able to be snapped back in.

I was worried, but this t43?
I feel i could deliberately drop this bitch .

(sadly i'm low on money atm, what's the typical selling price for the t43?)

Hey, i was thinking about getting a t420, and do some light Photoshop and Vegas work there. I just read online tough, that the intel hd 3000 doesn't have dedicated memory, and that worries me.

Im not going to render 4k, or even 1080p videos, or use Photoshop to do heavy work, just basic card/editing stuff, but im worried if the t420 can actually handle it.

So get a t430 instead.
It's not much more expensive, is it?

it really cant, the intel GPU sucks

make sure it comes with the nvidia 4200m dedicated card and at a minimum the i5-2520 (its the same speed as the other i5, but has the same cache as the i7 that was offered so it runs a bit snappier)

It's fine for photoshop work, but i was getting slightly frustrated working with aftereffects with only a few layers, but i was working with 1080p XVAS video from my a6000.

You might want to look into a t430 or a w530 for a bit more power

They did come as an option on all laptops, but when searching ebay, theres a 8/10 chance it has the better specs if it has the fingerprint reader.

there is a bios setting to do this.

There is an option to swap it in the BIOS.

t. T450s owner.

I just did a quick search, the intel hd 520 that comes in the recent skylake processors, actually get their memory from the main RAM.

If the hd 3000 did the same (I don't know if it works this way too), i wouldn't mind settling for the t420, as i planned to upgrade him with 2x 8gb.

some marketplace seller on newegg has the W530 for $500. Tis refurbished but good anyway?

only settle for the t420 with the dedicated gpu
it makes a serious difference

Can't find any t420 with dedicated GPU.

I was actually interested in falling for the 420 meme, but if i wouldn't be able to work well with it, i might as well do as says, and get the t430.

Get a W520

Wait, were you actually gonna get it just because it's called 420?

I'm also wondering this. What's usually the battery time on them and/or the 6-cell ones from AliExpress?

No, because people here recommend it a lot. And i suppose it's still a great notebook, despise that, but i need one to at least cover these basic work.

Most of the Thinkpads Sup Forums recommends aren't meant to do anything other than browse Sup Forums and do light text editing. I jest, slightly, but really 2 cores are a joke for any even semi-serious post production work.

W520 is probably what you're looking for.

beautiful

Do you guys think it's a good idea to have a X230 constantly hooked up to two 1920x1080 monitors for Sup Forums shitposting and youtube videos? I'm concerned that it will shorten the laptop's lifetime drastically due to high load/heat.

Is it possible to get a thinkpad under 400€ which could compare to my current Lenovo Y500 (4c/8t Ivy Bridge i7, Nvidia 650m 2gb)? I work as a graphic designer (UI, print) and animator (both 3d and 2d). I use the laptop only for work on the go, so it´s not my main work machine, but I need it sometimes.

it will die from electrimigration rather than heat. And it will take at least decade to migrate that much elecrons.

ofcourse, any W530

so this is my current specs on my inspiron, would it be possible to get a x220 or x230 that would surpass or or be on the same level?

my shits starting to show its age

Bought this for $140 and spent an extra 25 bucks on a 9cell and extra HDD bay.

How bad did I fuck up? It's in overall pretty good condition with no major scratches

So I just dug an A30 out of the bowels of my garage for the fun of it. Is it usable? What would be the most lightweight os?

Not bad considering I have a million tabs open and was just recompiling retroarch

That would be pretty impressive if you were running something more than just two terminals
X201's run hot as fuck, built worse than the X200 too

Check for a BIOS password as soon as you get it.

I bought an HP Elitebook once and the buyer never mentioned that it was BIOS locked. Not impossible to remove but it took several hours of searching just to find a solution.

Also check for the usual (white spots on screen, good hard drive, ram, etc.)

How the fuck did u get OS X working on a t420
post tut plz

Get a T410 or 420 with a dock for that

My chink ebay 9cell gets about 4 hours (with a browser and a lot of tabs open, running on KDE) on my X200

More if it's just a PDF or libreoffice open

The X220 has quite similar specs. Pic related is a X230 with average specs. Of course there are stronger i7 versions, but they are very expensive if you don't live in burgerland.

If I were you, I'd do a SSD upgrade before considering a new laptop.

running a bit hot here, probably dusty but i could always change the thermal paste later.

Too late. Already got a X230 and three 1338 docks. Life circumstances changed a lot. This kind of use was never intended before. At least CPU temperatures don't seem to go above 60°C

If it's booting to this screen then there should be a BIOS password right?
Which elitebook did you buy? How is it?

Here's the full listing
>ebay.com/itm/132147806095?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Seller raised the price for some reason after I bought it kek

Actually working on my thesis, firefox, another 5 or 6 terminals with vim and compiling that shit. And no, X201 does not run hot as fuck. Never get over 70°C, at least not with MATLAB, 1080p vids, compiling or firefoxing.

Get rid of your bloated OS and your shit will run better retard

Shouldn't*
T61s are super cheap and fit the bill just fine. Also you can probably keep them on until the sun explodes with no issue.

mine was an 8460p, basically the previous-gen model

dont know about that screen but you should be able to navigate through the UI into the security section.

Alright guys, just jumped onto this meme and copped a T440p i5-4300M with 16GB RAM, 500GB HDD for £220, needs a charger/HDD swap to a SSD though and I'm already looking to mod out the trackpad with one from the T450 for those buttons.

How'd I do?

Also I noticed the display doesn't seem to have good reviews - heard I can swap it out for an IPS easily enough.

Oh I'm still waiting for it to be delivered

Is it like thinkpads were it tells you right away that there's a password on the BIOS?
I imagine the seller would mention if it's locked right...
Also the HDD is wiped with no OS so thats also would mean that the BIOS isn't locked

Step 1) stop being a retard
Step 2) install OS X

well i want a new laptop, this ones starting to fail hardware wise and i need a more durable commuter

What hardware is starting to fail specifically?

The virus named Windows 10 installed itself on my t420 last August and I haven't really used my laptop because obviously... >Windows 10

I installed Debian (Gnome) yesterday, now how do I install the wifi drivers? I don't want to ask /fglt/ because that shit isn't friendly at all; its fully autistic.

trackpad, keyboard, speakers, Bluetooth, wifi

lwlwifi

Can anybody indemnify what model thinkpad these are from outer space?

A31p

FUCK
Now you have me paranoid as fuck

how long have you been using it? do you think it's safe? how much was it? are there certain chink brands to trust? can you send me a link?

How about you post the tutorial you used you cunt

About a year now, it was from 15-20 I think.
As far as I know there's no real brand that makes them, so just buy from the highest rated seller

>220 pounds
You did good, swap the trackpad and the HDD and you're set. How is the battery life, good or < 3h ?

just got a x60s for 60 USD, did i do good Sup Forums ?

>dad uses X201t
>fucks up his keyboard constantly somehow
>has the grand idea to try to pry up the little metal bits that hold the keys in with a razor blade
>while the thing is still on
>it sparks, won't turn on anymore
that's $200 down the drain

Is an x220 able to handle large video files (~10gb 1080p HDRip) without any frame-dropping and other such problems?

handily.
It may lag a little on larger rips though, I had a second long freeze just now testing over a few minutes of an 18GB rip.

what model? thank.

I'm thinking of upgrading my x230 to an IPS display. Which model should I get? Searching for x230 IPS screen yields so many results...

Hey guys, my X220 has been on fire recently so I'm cleaning the fan [spoiler]for the first time ever[/spoiler].

I've heard it's possible to fry your motherboard if the fan spins? Is this true?

disconnect the fan header and you should be fine, although, there is very little chance of anything happening anyway

I plan on upgrading an x220 RAM to 8gb or even 16gb. Will that be good for the performance? I'm also thinking about playing the movies on an external HDD.

for video? it won't matter. same with the usb drive.

You won't be able to make it spin so fast that it'll fry anything.

T430 is pretty decent.....for a Noob. Keyboard is shit compared to a T420

T410, I guess this is fine.

>T520

Once my NVS heatsink and liquid metal TIM arrive I should hope to get idle temps in the 20s. However I imagine they'll shoot right back up to 40s/50s once I throw in one of the high end quad core chips.

T420, i5. 45 chrome tabs open and VLC

Why does everyone on Sup Forums recommend the x220 / t420 over the x230 / t430 when it seems to be the opposite on literally every other site/forum? ThinkPill me on this one boys

The plebs here are too plebby to do the EC flash to enable the xx20 keyboard on the xx30, so they erroneously recommend the older models.

Personally I've found, assuming the best OEMs for each model (since they're all multi-sourced), that the xx30 island keyboard feels slightly better in terms of its key travel/actuation than the older keyboard, which I personally think is a much greater advantage than the slightly inferior layout. Who cares about a few 11 row keys that you'll rarely use when your keyboard feels sub-optimal.

insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/

Welp now I've got a fan error on startup (after holding the fan so it doesn't spin). All I did was apply a little compressed air. I didn't remove the fan or anything.

Be right back, killing self.

Why the fuck would you do such thing

>multi-sourcing

This pisses me off so much.

My dad's T410s had a beautiful, crisp feel to the keys and was a joy to type on. My W520, when it first came, had a more imprecise and mushy feel. And they're the SAME FUCKING PART. It was the same deal on my T61 before; I wrecked the keyboard with coffee and ordered a replacement that felt noticeably worse then I salvaged a keyboard from a T60 and it's was better than the one that was there in the first place.

In the end it worked out because my dad uses an external keyboard so I just asked him if I could swap the T410s keyboard with the W520 one and everything is great now. But you think Lenovo could get some fucking consistency. They do this shit with their screens too; some have pulse-width modulation with shit viewing angles and others do not. Whichever you end up with ultimately comes down to luck.

I had this with my T400. Turn the machine off, take the battery out for half an hour and plug it back in. Fan error will probably go away.

Do what? Apply compressed air?

Why would you want to stop your fan from spinning?

It seems that the main reason for people to recommend the xx20 over the xx30 is "muh keyboard" and "muh lack of whitelists" but it looks like there are methods to switch the keyboards AND you can flash the bios for them too

Alright thanks I'll try this.

Honestly though the fan might be dead, it's been acting funny for the past couple days. Blowing hard for a minute on idle, then doing nothing. Only did it when I was running Windows, Ubuntu was totally fine.

Anyone know how long it takes for a new fan to ship in?

Alternatively I might do , and grab an X230 and throw the old keyboard on. Just seems a shame to waste a 9 cell X220 battery.

I-I thought it wasn't supposed to let the fan spin? I googled my issue (like Sup Forums and Sup Forums always suggests) and every site I looked at said if I didn't stop the fan from spinning, it could fry the motherboard.

None of them suggested keeping the fan from spinning damaged it.