/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d/dell-inspiron-i7559-5012gry-signature-edition-laptop/8QW015305G50
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8ISOW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/mSata-vs-mini-PCIe/m-p/943149/highlight/true#M54744
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/)
a.pomf.cat/snhxrx.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Does a VM protect you from viruses?
Lets say I want to open a document, which happen to be a virus, if I do it in a VM, would my actual OS be protected and remain clean, or would it get compromised as well?

The host computer should be OK. If it's ransomware or something that will infect all files then you'd want to make sure there are no network drives or shares leading back to the host.

It aims to do so and I generally wouldn't hesitate to run malware in one.

Nothing's perfect though. There have been many VM escape exploits.

is there any other extension besides lightbeam that gives you a visualized map of the sites that tried to track you? i want this feature on an extension that is hopefully more lightweight

I feel like I'm missing something with CMake.
I'm working on a project that uses OpenCV. I added OpenCV as a submodule on Git so I have all the sources in my project directory. I know I can do add_subdirectory(opencv) to make it build the library, but how can I then instruct my project to link against it?

Does anyone know where I can get the mascots and theme/style feature of Appchan X onto regular Sup Forums x? Appchan is an outdated piece of shit

Does anyone know if the display color of this one is good enough for editing?
microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d/dell-inspiron-i7559-5012gry-signature-edition-laptop/8QW015305G50

I'm also planning to put more ram and an ssd on it.

nvm found it

can someone recommend a decent video file converter

What does the ethical hacking course curriculum contain?

i'm designing a simple ER model for uni and i made an entity to register both the customers and the employees, can i put the employee wage inside this entity?

I need some advice on how to do this.

So I have access to a site with movies I can download from links that look like this:

"website.com/movie.mp4"

What I want to do is mount the movies locally so that I can import them into a plex library. I know it is possible to mount an ftp server locally but I dont know how to do it with just the urls.

Handbrake

Does bioinformatics have a future?

what are my options for a headless raspberry pi?

Sup Forums approved high capacity USB's that are fast but not made by CIA Trojan horse manufacturers?

WTF i just found out spotify also have audiobooks.

So my graphics card gave out a week ago, and I replaced it with another.

I thought the fans were fairly loud, so I download CPUID HWMonitor to check my temps. The graphics card was fine, but what I'm concerned about is the mother board.

I don't really know too much about building computers, but isn't the TMPIN5 too hot? I feel like this is the first time I've noticed the fan noise...what could be causing this? I don't even know what TMPIN5 means.

w-wait USB's are compromised now?

Lmao

I believe it's a sensor error , used to get it with my previous computer.

Thank you, been doing some more research and a few other people mention that it could be due to a sensor error as well.

Almost had a panic attack lol.

I have cat5 cables running through my house as a telephone line

they all run straight to the outside which is where the phone company's box is

can I just hook an ethernet switch up in the box and have my regular wireless router still inside the house?

Okay so i have like 3 x 1tb external hdd
I have 1 x 3tb external hdd
And im sick of my data being split up in so many different drives
What do i do to collate everything?
Do i get nas even though i dont want it online for sec reasons
Do i get raid and if so hardware or software?
I just want like 10tb of space to put all my tv show n movies onto which will be safe as possible and not more than a few hundred pounds / dollars
Britfag here btw
Thanks for any replies in advance

>Do i get nas even though i dont want it online for sec reasons
non-issue if you have a NAT (you have one)

http isn't really set up for mounting, but kodi can use http indexes and stream files

plex is really more about being able to transcode something stored on the plex server rather than externally. to use plex in this scenario you would want plex running on the website's server

What do you guys do with all your storage?

Laptop screen is screwed up. Pink with a white line at the top of the screen and artifacts everywhere.

External monitors seem to work fine so I'm guessing it's a loose connector somewhere, not sure where to look though.

It's one of these:
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8ISOW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need to pass Sec+, wat do?

store stuff.
Different partions for different things.
Movies and TV shows mainly. I download a movie but then decide i don't want to watch it so I download a new one. I have done this for 100s of movies now. I don't want to delete them because I might want to watch them and have to downland them and thats effort.

Whats a god tier webcam that is reasonably priced, Im looking for a web cam that is good for interviews and also to take a photo of me to use for online dating.

I have this fucking wireless mini PCI-E half height card that I salvaged from a busted laptop. However it has one of those stupid plastic things in it and I have no clue how to remove it without damaging it. I tried plyers, needlenose tweezers (ifixit), couldn't even get a grip on it. How the fuck do I get this thing off it without ruining the thing?

is there a good program to remove all metadata without corrupting/compressing the data from say jpegs and music files? I have been searching but no comprehensive solution was found

Is the Moto Z Play a good phone?

I upgraded my desktop to a core i5 and found the heatsink wouldn't fit, so modified a pentium 4 to suit. now it oscillates in speed audibly. computer runs stable. does this mean the fan is failing?

probably a command line exif editor and a small script will do

exiftool works for me

Is 'acpi -t' accurate?

It doesn't seem accurate.

Unless my computer's cooling is supernaturally good at maintaining a stable and constant temperature.

where are the ecig threads
i need decent vape recommendations

AirVPN, yay or nay?

Never had an issue, but dont like the idea of IP being exposed on torrent.

If your mobo maker wrote their ACPI correctly it should be correct, if they're lazy and expose sensor inputs that aren't connected to anything or aren't configured correctly, it could show anything.

Chop it off.

So long as all the pairs are wired straight through and not transposed or joined together somewhere it should be fine for ethernet.

Thought it was CPU temperature.

Anyway, can I get raw CPU temperature somehow? lm-sensors seems kinda bloaty. I just need coretemp.

I want to make a budget pc for my mom, she uses a lot of chrome tabs, office 2010, Google Drive, movie Playback ability and that's it.

Is the am1 platform solid enough?
How many ram should I add?
Should I use 7 or 10?

lm-sensors is your best bet.

ipmitool may work too if you're using a more business/server/workstation oriented motherboard, consumer grade ones generally won't support it.

With what, exactly?

Please see .
My Rosewill keyboard recognize it is plugged in, but the keys do nothing.

AM1's probably sufficient, but if you're building new, it's not great bang for buck. Pentium G4560 is the minimum I'd consider worth it for a build, if you want cheaper, used Sandy/Ivy Bridge machine.

4GB at least, 8 would be nice.

Gentoo.

diagonal cutter.

nvm, found the place at /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp.

thermal_zone0 and thermal_zone1 gives me the inaccurate acpi -t (raw) output.

Indeed I'm building new, thanks for your input.

How would my job opportunities differ if I went with each of these degrees:
>CS
>Informatics
>Human-Centered Design and Engineering
Considering that I live in Seattle.

What are some light weight operating systems? I want to run it on an older laptop that hast just 1gb of ram.
Are there any linux/gnu options that are on the same level ( or even lighter ) as WinXP?
I just want something with very low ram/cpu usage.

My GPU fans don't spin when its idle and it hangs around 50C. Is that normal? Its a GTX 1070.

Just use XP. Linux uses more RAM than Windows 10 nowadays, while still not giving Windows 98 usability.

It's a feature.

Yes.

lol

debian has something like 60 mb ram minimum requirement with X for amd64

damn small Linux is an optimized Debian variant

>CS
Code monkey living with Jerome in a shitty apartment.

>Informatics
Cave-dweller living on a cot in the server room.

>Human-Centered Design and Engineering
HR

Would it be safe to assume that the next gen of nvidia gpus(2070,2080) would do games at high/ultra@60fps on 4K?
Or would it need another gen for that?

I've noticed that sometimes when i set my pc to hibernate and then turn off the lamp to go to bed that turning off the lamp causes the pc to wake itself back up. They aren't in the same socket in the wall and I can't think of any processes or tasks that would wake the pc up once hibernating. What can i do?

call an exorcist

I want a flip phone. What does Sup Forums recommend?

>HP Envy
>Cap leds blinks only one time
>HP POST codes say is CPU
What are the odds its FUBAR?

What would be the smallest size for a 4k display, where I wouldnt need scaling on Wangblows?
27" 32" ?

What program do you guys use to display framrate, gpu and cpu temp in game? Fraps only shows fps, want the others too.

What is the best Micro Sd Card for the Droid Turbo 2

How do I see the difference between mSATA and Mini PCIe?

mSATA is usually B&M key (or just B key, although I don't believe I've ever seen that) while mPCIe is usually just M key. Other than that you'll have to check the spec.

Should someone who doesn't code still switch to Linux?

I don't know any languages and I've used linux, set up a webserver, email server, file sharing, proxy server... pretty much everything

systems administrator would probably benefit from knowing perl or something but I've never bothered to learn anything more than a bash script here and there

I found a very cheap SATA to mSATA adapter, will it catch fire if I try putting it into a Mini PCIe slot? what can I expect?
I wanted to add a SATA slot but the SATA to Mini PCIe boards I've seen cost much more than this cheap adapter.

How do I get a .gov domain?

fearmongering

Is your computer a 2nd gen core i? then its a mSATA.

Is it used by a WLAN card? then its mPCIe.

2nd gen core i and recent next to the HDD*

How do I make Windows 10 usable?

Generally any card will work with any modern phone.

I'll check.

Here someone is saying that it's basically the same thing:
forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/mSata-vs-mini-PCIe/m-p/943149/highlight/true#M54744

All tracking and metrics to kill
All home networking and cortana to kill
Install Linux

What grove givith, gates taketh away. Games will require more power on the same resolution. Your plan only works if you plan on playing exclusively old game releases

Hey Sup Forums. From a legality stand point, can I record episodes of anime I'm watching via stream? Long story short, I work a tiring job throughout the week. I don't have it in me to actually pay attention to any anime I may be watching. Because of this I watch most of it on the weekend. Problem is, Crunchyroll servers are bogged down during the weekend because everyone is doing the same thing.

So say I started an anime series on episode 1 and start the recorder (Nvidia shadowplay in this instance). Just let the episode play in it's entirety. It auto starts the next episode. On and on until I have the entire series recorded. This is allowed? Shit, would anyone even know? Of course I have no intention to distribute or share any of the recordings, so would this fall under "fair use"?

I just want to watch my anime at my leisure and not wait for buffering.

>>>nyaa.se

Why are console to PC port developers so fucking dumb?

You can port a game to the PC, but you can't figure out how to replicate the functionality of a config file? Do they hire a bunch of unskilled pajeets?

Got any specific goodies, I'm looking for durability over everything

Anyone know anything about MS Access?

We have a database and I want to send automatic emails when a certain field changes. Does Access have an OnChange listener event or whatever? How do you implement it?

Durability mostly amounts to buying from a good company (with a good warranty)

thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/)

You'd be surprised how difficult is is. Most of a console game's power comes from customizing it to work perfectly on exactly one set of hardware.

classicshell

Just pirate it.

How can someone change the commands in your cmd?

>torrenting
But user...That's piracy!! But in all sincerity, my ISP would be all up in my ass. Not in the good lewd way either like in my Japanese animes. But in the "cease and desist or we'll rape your ass raw" way. I could use a VPN, but then I'm still reliant on other random people's rips/encodes. At least my way way I get to choose bitrate, resolution, etc. Plus I'm not on the up and up with anime compared to others, so the anime I'm watching is older or wasn't all that popular to begin with, so there are few if any seeders.

Now that I'm thinking out loud, there is no way to know I'm even using a recorder in the first place. Glad I asked here and didn't start a new thread because this was a stupid fucking question.

Which laptop do you have?

Try downloading trough IRC then, google XDCC.

Most fansubs that matter have a XDCC bot for those who cant torrent.

Is the wind shield wiper fluid used for anything other than squirting onto the windshield for cleaning? The tank in my car for it has a leak and I don't know if I wanna spend money to replace it

This is a connected and powered microphone cable with XLR type connector. Whenever i touch it it gives loud static noise on the main channel which sometimes doesn't go away a.pomf.cat/snhxrx.webm (with sound)

Is there any way to prevent this? These cables lie under the false floor, but still get enough vibration from people walking on the podium to crackle from time to time.
Thought it was because pin #3 on the socket was wonky (see pic), but other cables are fine and still have this issue.
I recall jack-jack audio cables don't have this issue, since people jump around with electric guitars constantly and nothing crackles.

Jap companies give no shits about anime not like they are going to pay all that money just to file one with international courts.

>>i choose
No, nigga you are limited to the settings of the streaming service, which isnt high def.

Torrent or STFU

My Uni provides my internet and they're super anal about piracy, but they haven't touched me and I'm seeding pretty much 24/7. Had Comcast before too and they gave zero shits.