/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-6700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 , RX480, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>470 is all you need for 1080p
>Wait for RX 580 in a few days
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>Vega comes in May

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Save money w/ mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/NCCR6X
pcpartpicker.com/list/Dwk2nn
hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html
tweaktown.com/reviews/8135/asrock-fatal1ty-x370-gaming-k4-motherboard-review/index7.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/DGhh8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/yrp7HN
youtube.com/watch?v=cPWMIpVrVQ0
pcpartpicker.com/list/GjFBYr
frys.com/product/9085667
pcpartpicker.com/list/z4JJZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/nfk2nn
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/gHL8vV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck you user who keeps suggesting the H7 to people getting Ryzen builds. Upgrade kits aren't out yet, so I'm just sitting here with parts.

I'm convinced a good portion of the people giving advice here are just as uninformed as the new buyers and are either parroting misinformation or intentionally sabotaging a build.

I know this isn't a speccy thread but could I get a rate on my rig?

what price could I sell my meme GTX 970 at

>SLI 970s

DAILY REMINDER THIS IS THE PERFECT 1080P BUILD (just look for sales)

pcpartpicker.com/list/NCCR6X

Also, this is the LAST day to order a SeaSonic 550W for under 50 bucks. Tomorrow the rebate will end and it'll jump back up to 70. You can get it for 45$ with EASTER15 at Superbiiz for a whopping 25 dollar saving. Don't miss out you poor fucks.

You get a lot of that, especially on coolers and mobos. Always get second opinions or lurk until you can find the people who know their shit just from reading them.

ram/10

3.5+3.5 equals a whopping 7gb bruh

>pcpartpicker.com/list/NCCR6X
I agree that it has incredible value, but what do you think of getting a 1600X and maybe, maybe a X370 although it has worse value?

What coolers actually come with an AM4 bracket that are worth getting?
NH-L9x65 is awful.
D15 is oversized for how efficient Ryzen is.
NH-U12S I guess? But it's poo colored and overpriced like all of the Noctuas.

1333 at CL 9 is pretty damn awful. At least it's dual channel.
970 SLI.. wew the two worst cards from the past half a decade.
At least you chose the best CPU of the time and got an SSD, and are keeping things cool.
Board looks okay.
4/10 I guess. If you had gotten a 290X/980Ti and better ram, you'd have a pretty solid build.

There are dumb fanboys that'll give like $150 for them.

There definitely that, so you have to ask multiple times on different days to put together a decent build. I got memed on with the H7. I'm sure it'll be great when I finally get the upgrade kit, but fuck I didn't want to wait another half month.

>There are dumb fanboys that'll give like $150 for them.
lel no you could still sell them for fucking 200 dollars or more
although I can't judge because I got one for 140 three months ago

I dont' get this meme, my SLI 970s run games like GTA5 and TW3 maxed out at 50-60 fps. Sure i'd like to upgrade but I feel like I can last another year or two.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/NCCR6X
Yeah, looks pretty ideal, but ideally you'd get an RX470 cheaper on sale.
You could also save by not bothering with the HDD. Loads of people will not use over 500GB. If they do, can buy HDD later.

If you want to spend more, sure, you can. It's your money. Just make sure you get an X370 that's actually better, with better VRMs, and not just a K4.
The Pro4s VRMs are more than sufficient for a typical overclock and such. But if you're going to spend more you should be getting even better quality and not something more riced and shit.

And the 1600X? Yeah I'm getting one myself, because I wanted a different AM4 cooler so I'll have it for my next AM4 CPU upgrade later, like when it goes the 7nm and higher clocks, so I may as well get the slightly higher overclocking headroom and better stock clocks for just a bit more.
It's worse value, but I don't care. I want it. That's how it works.

It runs most games fine.
There are a significant number of games that it'll suffer on, though. Especially at 1440p which is becoming a more common resolution, isn't it?

I haven't really seen any reason to get a 1600x instead of OC'ing your 1600, price/performance wise.

>x370
You joking? For what purpose? The Pro4 will OC all you need with R5's. The cheap B350s are all you need, really.

If you're using R5's, why not use the stock coolers? Or are you using R7's?

>but ideally you'd get an RX470 cheaper on sale.
Agreed. PCPartsPick is fucking up though. That should be 140$ because there's a 30$ rebate on it. But I think it will go down even more soon. That's what I'm waiting for.

Is there anything I should change about this gaming rig for 1080p? An user helped me with it last night but i forgot to mention that I'm not overclocking.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Dwk2nn

>locked 7700 and 1060 in post-Ryzen era
Why?

>lel no you could still sell them for fucking 200 dollars or more
That's insane. An RX480 8GB is objectively so better on average, and you can find those new for $190 all the time.

7700 comes with a cooler. It's not a great one, but if you're going to replace it you should get something less lame.
You also need faster memory. 3200 over 2133 is a 15% improvement in some games like FO4. 2800 is the least you should get.
Your PSU sucks
1060 is overpriced and the RX470 or RX480 gives better performance for the money or even period in many cases.

feel free to change what you like, i haven't bought anything yet, trying to stay below $1000

>not OC
Do it. It's piss easy to OC a few 100mhz and impossible to fail if you read a guide. This isn't 10 years ago.

>i7 stutterlake
Get a R5 1600 buddy. Cheaper and smoother FPS. You don't need an i7 at all for anything in 1080.

see
Saves 30 bucks and is way better. You could ditch the HDD and save 80 bucks and still have double your SSD space. Whoever helped you with that is an idiot/intel+nvidia shill.

This build is almost exactly what I will be getting, but I will likely go with the Define Mini C instead of the Define S.

which 1tb ssd is better , crucial mx300 sata or intel 600p m.2 nvme ?
intel is about 5000 rupees more expensive here

>Especially at 1440p which is becoming a more common resolution, isn't it?
Not as much as you'd think thanks to bad developers making unoptimized games, with the current modern games having issues getting a steady 60 fps at max settings & 1440p with the highest priced cards, people are still dropping down to 1080p commonly.

If the RX 580 delivers hard enough to force Nvidia into countering, it might as well become common though.
>That's insane. An RX480 8GB is objectively so better on average, and you can find those new for $190 all the time.
Thanks to the rocky launch of bad drivers and bad benchmarks at the start of the launch of RX480, you can easily still reel a good profit off of the GTX 970's, especially if you have a more rare and better brand.

>but I will likely go with the Define Mini C instead of the Define S
Yeah, that's a personal choice. I stuck with the Define S because it's cheaper and I like the room. Probably should have made a note about the case.

Crucial. Fuck Intel.

This
>everyone should OC
meme is stupid. It's hard to OC a Kabylake. It often requires delidding. They're already clocked so fucking high, so you need such good cooling. You need a better motherboard, as 6phase VRMs are recommended for STOCK clocks and double that for OC. (or is it 4 stock 8 OC? that sounds more right. whatever) It ends up costing like $125-$250 more for a decent OC on Delidlake which is hardly worth the performance gains on those chips.
Lots of people just don't want to do it, and building a PC is enough stuff to learn for them.

intel 600p is fucking garbage.
MX300. Only thing better is an 850, but that costs significantly more and is only like 2% faster.

>Thanks to the rocky launch of bad drivers and bad benchmarks at the start of the launch of RX480
Probably the case.
If it is, 970 value should crash due to RX580 reviews, eh? Even the RX570 which I think the MSRP is $170 should often be faster.

I'm talking about Ryzen you faggot. I don't recommend Intel delidlake.

>X companies product's value should crash due to Y companies product's reviews, eh?
user
bruh

Although I've had my build for a long time I didn't understand the importance of monitoring temperatures until recently, and I've noticed that my cpu is really fucking hot. Even after a dust cleaning my old 3570k is being subjected to temperatures of over 90c while I'm playing resource-easy games like csgo. Everything runs at at stock.

How fucked is my Ivy Bridge? I'm going to replace the thermal coating asap but I'm scared of permanent damage.

Time for a magical trick called delidding.

>And the 1600X? Yeah I'm getting one myself, because I wanted a different AM4 cooler so I'll have it for my next AM4 CPU upgrade later
Same train of thought. That's also why i'm thinking about a X370. I just can't justify spending above 200 bucks on a mobo and the only two X370 mobos in my range are the Asus X370 Prime and ASRock X370 K4 (non professional).
The Asus seems to brick itself because reasons and the ASRock has seemingly worse VRM according to hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html
Kinda want the ASRock but then again, if it won't yield me higher OC than a B350 board there's no point in getting it. TweakTown reviewed the mobo and got the 1800X stable @4.0GHz @1.20v, so hopefully a 1600X should be able to get @4.0GHz max 1.40v, or at least i hope so. Here's the link:
tweaktown.com/reviews/8135/asrock-fatal1ty-x370-gaming-k4-motherboard-review/index7.html
Guess i wait for them to review the Anus X370 Prime before i pull the trigger on this to early and cry myself to sleep because of shit life choices.

Well the stock cooler is all god and fine, but i doubt it will OC a 1600 to at least stable 3.9GHz with good voltages on a B350 mobo. Please educate me if i'm wrong.

The guy wants an i7, you faggot. So I was speaking in regards to OC there.

Are you being serious?
The ceiling of the used market's value for relatively new cards is based on what similar performance someone can get minus a bit.
People see 1060 is a bit better than the 970 in most cases. 1060 is $260. So people can still sell 970s for $200.
If 1060s were $200, 970s used would be closer to $150.

Did you clean out the dust?
Yeah, you need to replace the thermal paste if so.

thoughts?
pcpartpicker.com/list/DGhh8K

Meh I got the mATX pro4. It's $65. If I decide to get a better motherboard later, I hardly lost anything.

I figured these first round of motherboards may not be great and all since it's a new arch, new socket, new chipset. BIOS can fix a lot, but we'll see.

>Buying a R5
>reconmending the 1600x
Just save up your fish and chip money for a month and get a r7 1700.

>$1700
>Ryzen
>1060
>MSI
>G.Skill
>optical drive
>paying for Windows
>$80 wifi card

2/10 user try again

Yes well user you see the difference with that comparison is that
>If X companies product #1 were $200, X companies product #2 used would be closer to $150

>1800x
>1060
>shitty PSU
>gigantic Noctua tower for a very cool CPU
Shit/10.

>Going from locked 2nd gen i5 to 12 threads at 4ghz
Brings a tear to my eyes. Thanks based AMD for bringing down 6 cores to non-retarded prices.

what psu should i get?

pcpartpicker.com/list/yrp7HN

>>The ceiling of the used market's value for relatively new cards is based on what similar performance someone can get minus a bit.
>implying it matters
AMD fanboys will refuse to buy NVIDIA shit even if it is better and NVIDIA fanboys will refuse to buy AMD shit even if tis better.
This is the way of hardware.

Your PSU is fine.

>The guy wants an i7, you faggot
Well he's a retard and you can't OC a 7700 non-k.

>Well the stock cooler is all god and fine, but i doubt it will OC a 1600 to at least stable 3.9GHz with good voltages on a B350 mobo. Please educate me if i'm wrong.
youtube.com/watch?v=cPWMIpVrVQ0
Stock cooler is fine unless you want to be a mad man.

>7700
>1060
You shouldn't get a PSU you should get your build fix first.

Weird. My 8800 was nice. So was 5850/7970/1070.

The box for my rx580 says minimum 500w PSU. Will a 500 to 550w PSU work fine, or should I jump up to 600-650w?

It will werk fine. Polaris is pretty efficient.

how's this build for budget 1080p >60 fps gaming?
pcpartpicker.com/list/GjFBYr
Playing WoW mostly and would like to run at max settings, im in US.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/DGhh8K
Why no SSD?
Why are you paying retail for windows instead of just getting it from Kinguin or something?
>$80 wifi card
the fuck is this. Is this really so much better than onboard wifi? Do you want the Aorus so bad that you can't get one of the X370s with onboard wifi instead?
>MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card
>turning $450 CPU into stuttering mess thanks to fucked up Nvidia drivers and GimpWorks
>All that money for other shit, and a shitty PSU that's too high wattage

Try again and get back to us.

Seasonic 550RM
Looks fine otherwise. Though I've seen Z270s on sale like $85-$90 fairly often.

Have you considered the concept that you aren't a fanboy?

>i3 instead of g4560
>1050ti instead of 470/570

It'll work but I'd recommend dual channel RAM, a better HDD brand and a G4560. Actually, the G4620 is on sale and it'd be worth it:
frys.com/product/9085667

Get a 480x or 1060, you might play something else in the future

470 is enough for now and it costs barely more than 1050ti.

>The box for my rx580 says minimum 500w PSU
The box is just being retarded and accounting for no-name PSUs from a Dell that claim they're 500w when they're not.
You'd be perfectly fine on a decent brand name 400watt.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/GjFBYr
>Playing WoW mostly and would like to run at max settings, im in US.
Lmao.
Just get a G4560 and no GPU. The iGPU runs WoW well.
That $145 for a 1050Ti is a tremendous waste of money.
If you build that and really feel it's not running WoW well enough and that you need better than the iGPU, get the RX550. I'm guessing it'll be about $50. Or spend a bit more and get the RX570.

>AMD fanboys will refuse to buy NVIDIA shit even if it is better and NVIDIA fanboys will refuse to buy AMD shit even if tis better.
>This is the way of hardware.
I went from a 9700Pro, to a 7800 GT (which died within 30 days of the warranty ending), to a 9600GTX (which was a lemon), then a 5770, 7970.

>rx580

Ayyy? Are they already out?

Okay I'm in the middle of a build but I gotta say what the fuck happened to RAM prices? Last year it wasn't this bad

Today is the launch day user. Lots of images out there.

I don't think you understand the concept of a fanboy, lad.
Also, can anyone tell me what RX480 models are good and which ones are shit?

>470 is enough for now and it costs barely more than 1050ti.
It's actually the same price as the 1050 right now. You can get it for 145. Buying nvidia for 1080p/1440p is wasting your money right now.

>good
MSI gaymen X
XFX GTR
Probably Sapphire one
>bad
The rest. Also beware of fucking ANUS.

Yeah. Some shops sold them earlier than the street date. Ignore XFX GTR is the best RX480. I forget which the second best is.. Maybe the MSI Gaming X?
Still wouldn't buy without seeing RX580 price/perf though. But it was $210 a few days ago which was worth it.

>what happened to RAM prices
smart phones

pcpartpicker.com/list/z4JJZ8
How's this? See how the iGPU works, it should work great, but if not you can add a GPU later. NOT the 1050Ti as it's fucking garbage value and overpriced because dumb fanboys will buy them like they bought the 750Ti.

Is radeon worth it? last one i bought died when it was less than 2 years old

Yes. Since shitty Radeon drivers are no more NVIDIA has like no advantages in places where AMD actually competes.

Is there a Z270 board that doesn't look like complete ass?

>Is radeon worth it? last one i bought died when it was less than 2 years old
You got unlucky.
My 9700pro which is over 15 years old, my 5770, and 2 7970s both all work to this day.
My EVGA 7800 died within a month after the 3 months warranty. My 9600GTX was a lemon.
Yet I still recommend Nvidia when it's appropriate because I know it was just my bad luck, or down to the manufacturers I chose at the time, and blah blah blah.

EVGA makes some sleek black boards. That's it I guess.

What's wrong with ASHITUS variations?
I remember the MSI ones dying out and having terrible coil issues.

Any reason for me to not get an ASUS PRIME X370-PRO?
Anything better at the same price-range?

I plan on OCing a 1600X as high as possible and use 3200Mhz RAM.

Said board has suicidal tendencies.

The 1070 says fuck you.

Has the lowest clocks and retarded temp targets.

>youtube.com/watch?v=cPWMIpVrVQ0
That's actually impressive. I'd be fine with the results this guy's getting. The thing is, he's running a Asus X370, i doubt you can achieve the exact same results with a B350 mobo. To entertain you:
>see vid
>thinking about B350 + 1600
>prices are 110 + 231 yuroshekels
>go to shop
>prices are 115 + 249 yuroshekels
THANKS MR. GOLDSTEIN.

Shit-tier cooling. Shitty customer support. At least MSI Gaymen X is pretty cool.
Overpriced.

Did that happen with a specific BIOS update or has it happened multiple times?

Is a GTX 980 worth buying second hand for $200?

You can get 2 RX480s for the price of a 1070.
I'd usually not recommend crossfire, but the price of the 1070 is retarded. But bigger retards pay those prices so they stay so high, despite the MSRP being $350.

Are cases like the Corsair Air 240 (pic related) worth it? They look aethsetic as fuck and I don't know if I want one or not. Will be building in a mATX B350 mobo with a R5 1600 w/ stock cooler and a RX 480 8GB

To everyone lurking, asking, or advising ITT:
What fact or specification do you look for when searching for motherboards?
And what information do pcpartpicker and review sites leave out about motherboards that you'd like to know?

First time building a gaming pc any changes I should make?
pcpartpicker.com/list/nfk2nn

This $5 mouse needs to go. Sometimes it sends the cursor shooting all over the place or under-responds significantly, and even at the best of times, it's not a precision piece of equipment.

Any suggestions? Anything I should know about buying a good mouse?

Also by the time I started getting the parts the RX 580 will be out so I planned on grabbing that

I really like mine. The easiest case I've ever worked on, looks great too. Hoping to get a second one and stack two systems on eachother, one for my main computer and another for messing around without having to fuck around with partitions/virtual machines

Ports + audio chip.

Are there any desktop cases with hotswap plugs? I was looking at those 4u 24 hdd server cases a while back but never ended up getting one. Just wondering if there's any vertical cases that will give me a lot (>8) of hdd slots with hotswap.

Maybe fix your EU laws instead of just giving terrorists free money.
In the US, retailers can get in trouble for price gouging like that

But yeah, the 1500X/1600/1700 stock coolers are damn nice. The 1400's is pretty meh.
I would expect like 3.7Ghz on the low end, 3.85 on the high end with good luck, with the stock cooler.

I think cube cases are ugly and space inefficient. But if it's what you want, why does my opinion on that matter?

>What fact or specification do you look for when searching for motherboards?
That it has enough chokes and a heatsink.
The layout of the slots (I prefer an x1 above the fucking x16 not fucking buried under it uselessly)
>And what information do pcpartpicker and review sites leave out about motherboards that you'd like to know?
actual mosfet quality and shit that you can't see from pictures.

That cooler comes with good thermal paste.
I'd get a bigger SSD, and a 550W PSU would be enough even for Vega and the 8 core, but the rest looks fine.

Oh and, why not 1440p? Spending all that money for 1080p wtf.

ZOWIE Z11 or Razer Deathadder Chroma/Elite. Same size, just different aesthetics/quality

>space inefficient
How are they space inefficient?

Also gtx980 vs r9 290x?

Not really, unless you want to count that Silverstone ITX NAS case that was designed around an ASRock Avoton motherboard.
I don't trust those optical bay hot-swap add ins because their port multiplier and power connectors can be spotty as fuck.

Either go with a convertible 4U/tower hybrid or get fucked with housefires.

>Ports
You mean all of the available ports for the rear I/O? Or are you including the headers on the motherboard as well

>The layout of the slots
Lane splitting/PCIe switch-enabled is a given, right?
>shit that you can't see from pictures
Such as?

>Such as?
You can't see the model number of the VRM components in pictures...
They're not high resolution enough, and covered by heatsinks.

In what situation will you need an ATX-sized mobo? Curious as someone that is stuck between getting an ATX or mATX board.

Rear.

That's a bit of a tall order. Most of those components are covered by thermal tape that tends to peel off the lettering on top of those components. Plus, it's not like I can buy all of those motherboards, pull apart their heatsinks, and write down their model numbers for a spreadsheet.

> Most of those components are covered by thermal tape that tends to peel off the lettering on top of those components
... which is exactly why I'd like to have that information listed on a site and searchable. lol.

I guess aggregate review sources and links to them. Those are generally better than user reviews.

>EU
>free
>abide laws
Does not compile.
Sucks to live in this shithole and pay 19% terrorism support taxes, soon to be 21% because we have to finance our culturally enriching new citizens. Fuck those shitskins and commies, i want cheap technology, taxation is theft.

>I would expect like 3.7Ghz on the low end, 3.85 on the high end with good luck, with the stock cooler.
I'd be fine with something like 3.8GHz @ 1.35v on a ASRock B350 K4 with stock cooler and load temps not higher than 70°C, for such a price you can'T ask for more.
Also LPX 3000 CL15 seems to run stable at advertised speed or at least 2933 on that board, which is nice because that RAM is """cheap""" aka 129€ here.

This is what i'm looking at: de.pcpartpicker.com/list/gHL8vV

>RX 580 is just a rebranded RX 480
>costs 100 dollars more in most places
wow what a time to be alive

It's a refresh, not rebrand.

You might only hit 3.7 I think. It's luck. Unless I'm wrong and 3.8 is pretty much the minimum with newer BIOS.
>2933
That's perfectly fine speed.

The build looks fine except I don't think that motherboard is any better overclocking wise than the Pro4. Looks like the same VRMs to me. So unless it has some other features you want, you're spending more for nothing.

>Oh and, why not 1440p? Spending all that money for 1080p wtf.
Like I said I by the time I started building the RX 580 will be out also possibly the Vega depending on how long it takes me to get my finances in order

As far as mATX Ryzen mobos go, how good is the ASRock AB350M-HDV mobo?

should i get an ASUS or ASRock motherboard?

(these are the two options that have what i want and that fit within my budget)