Rant of the day: "Gaming" modem/router edition

So, what's the real value of such "Gaming" modem/router?
Why there's a premium to pay for something that has a "smart" QoS that doesn't even let you set bandwidth usage?
How much does this kind of shit really costs to produce to the manufacturers?
Sure is good to have plenty of Wi-Fi connectivity options, but, ffs, for 150€ (sorry americunts, I saw you have to pay around 220 bucks for crap like this) at least put something that lets you make some effective use of such feature.

Is there something interesting I can do with crap like this, except letting it fly from the window?
So, anons, are you flashing your modems/routers?
Didya dodge the gaming shilling or you're a retard like me?

>So, what's the real value of such "Gaming" modem/router?
To part idiots with their money.

>So, anons, are you flashing your modems/routers?
Buy a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite or UniFi security gateway.
It will do everything you need get real, meaningful updates.

I use a mikrotik routerboard. Looks like a Russian hunk of shit but it's really good especially for the money

I see no way in which I could just tell you why this or that of a gazillion possible features would be nice for you.

Frankly, if you have no reason to buy something else, get some cheap chinese router with openwrt or derivative (can be stock or your install).

>gaming
>wifi

what sucker fell for this

I did, having it combined with QoS (which isn't that good), VDSL availability (which won't even work with a shitload of ISPs that provide VoIP too) and USB 3.0 (advertised to support USB Dongles too on some source, which isn't true), all of this seemed nice at the time.

Is that actually a good router to pick up? Looking to get the best that $50 can do (used is fine)

Theyre pretty good for signal strength and data rate (802.11acgn) when ISPs only provide 802.11ac

I've got that router, what's wrong with it? I installed DD-WRT and it's done nothing but do its job ever since.

I have it. Thing can run for a year or more without needing a reboot. Wifi range is great as well.

What's the software like? I'm biased towards DD-WRT and the like

I use an Asus N12 with tomato-shibby. Fucktons of features for a $15 router, VPN server, QoS, adblock, etc.

I need to upgrade to an N18U since I moved to a place with better internet, and the CPU on this one can't handle it. I wonder if there are other good options though.

Get an edge do not fall for the unifi usg meme like me.,or better yet get a pfsense kit fore 150 instead of USG.

its just a fucking router with a built-in QoS for gaming ports

just throw on OpenWRT and use SQM-QOS and never worry about it again

USG is alright, Edge is definitely more bang for buck at the moment but the USG firmware is being iterated on pretty quickly to bring it up to parity.

The USG is nice if you already have other UniFi stuff, being able to manage all the things under one management interface is really nice.

>What's the software like? I'm biased towards DD-WRT and the like

They used a forked version of Vyatta. Its like upgrading from DOS pizzabox to a UNIX workstation.

EdgeRouter X is exactly $50, its a great little piece of kit that will shit all over any consumer router.

What's the best wireless one?

Ubiquiti doesn't have combo router/wifi gear, you buy the WiFi AP separately. Its actually better that way since the places where you'd set the router aren't usually great places to broadcast WiFi from.

One EdgeRouter X ($50) + UAP-AC-LR (~$99) on Amazon will get you better range and performance than those "gamer" routers, and its cheaper to boot.

How about if I got a budget a third of that?

If you already got a wireless router you can set it to AP mode and hook it up to a EdgeRouter X. Otherwise an Asus with *WRT are your options, UBNT is pretty cheap compared to other Enterprise Lite vendors but not that cheap.

Thanks. Gotta check the market. For your Ubi setup any better places to buy than Amazon?

Not that I know of, I picked up my gear at the local MicroCenter because they were having a sale on it. (That they didn't even know about lol)

damn thanks

I bought my mine directly from ubiquiti

edgerouter x + unifi ac pro

Love the shit to death buy my computer has issues with playing nice with outside hardware, all the other secondary and wireless shit works with it just fine buy my computer itself will not broadcast shit.

don't fall for the consumerist bullshit. grab one or more unifi aps and an a used sonicwall or an ubiqiti router

>ubiqiti
mah_nigga.jpg

fuck mikrotik. literally the most ridiculous nonsensical router ui in existence.