What does the 'facebook machine' meme mean? You need even less power than it'd require for facebook to be productive...

What does the 'facebook machine' meme mean? You need even less power than it'd require for facebook to be productive. acme/vi/emacs and a build server is more than enough. Same for creative work e.g. video making or 3d modelling (most of the time). Are all people saying this just playing video games on their computers?

Starbucks faggots on Macbooks

It's not that they aren't powerful. It's that they are fairly capable machines but everyone who buys them uses them for facebook. Or in my case shitposting on Sup Forums

Do you need to work for NASA to justify using a MacBook?

>t. mactoddler

t. winbabby

The meme is that everyone who buys them uses them solely for Facebook. The reality is that while you do see a lot of people at Starbucks browsing Facebook on them to show off, that's not the entirety of the people who use them or what they're used for. Just what you happen to see, because they're showing off. You don't see the writer holed up in their apartment writing on one, the office worker at their desk wrangling spreadsheets, etc.

>while you do see a lot of people at Starbucks browsing Facebook on them to show off

Can someone explain what the fuck this shit is? I've been to all kinds of coffee shops all over London, for years. The majority of machines there are Windows laptops with the odd MacBook Air. Nobody is on Facebook.

Is this just some American cancer?

It means that someone spent a ton of money on a computer even though all they do is stuff that doesn't require much.
The only reason they spent all that money is so they can show it to other people.
Memes are a single idea conveyed in a single word or phrase or image.

yes. people aren't as poor as they are in london.

>have mbp provided by work
>mostly do devops work on an infrastructure engineering team
>only apps I use are spectacle, iterm2, sublime text, chrome, vagrant with virtualbox

Honestly the mbp is way over powered for what I do, but when I've got several VMs going, the i7 cpu, 16gb of ram, and 512gb SSD are very nice. I don't think I'd want any different hardware.

Iterm2 is combination with spectacle is fucking killer, I'd have a really hard time giving them up if I switched back to Linux on my workstation. Windows isn't even an option.

>Is this just some American cancer?
I think so; you don't really get it in Australia either.

there was a crowd of individuals using macs at a starbucks once. you can afford a macbook but don't have internet at home? a guy even got up to use the bathroom leaving his laptop unprotected. really weird. I'd never leave $1000+ of stuff just sitting around unprotected.

>London
>poor

>average American place
>wealthy

Are you dumb or just underage?

>you can afford a macbook but don't have internet at home?
Of course they do. But if they're at home, they can't show off to others.

Not him but as an American my perception of London is that only San Francisco and New York City are more expensive in the US.

The "facebook machine" meme isn't specific to macs. Any machine used by someone who only uses it for social media is a facebook machine. There's nothing wrong with that, but all you need for social media is a cheap laptop or smartphone. The ridiculous part is when people spend thousands of dollars on a mac or ridiculously high end machine to use only for browsing facebook and checking emails.

Samefag here. Is this why a lot of people that do the kind of work I do put so many tech stickers on their laptops? Because they're self conscious about being seen as a Facebook machine memer? I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks about me or my laptop. It has no stickers.

>caring about others bullshit this much
>caring what others think of you
>not focusing on yourself
>being this fucking beta

Dmnn tht is prob why people out stickers.. up until now i ddnt think to much of it however im sure theres always the 1 tht does it cuz he gets sfickers from sht

new macbooks have a loud ass keyboard so people don't even have to see the logo to know it's an Apple

People buying what they like, what's the problem? Whether they can afford it or not is their own subjective opinion. Besides, its not as if they've lost money. They still maintain a crazy resale value.

>Is this why a lot of people that do the kind of work I do put so many tech stickers on their laptops? Because they're self conscious about being seen as a Facebook machine memer?
Probably a little bit of that, but more a compulsion to customise, feeling the need to assert their individuality rather than use something that looks just like thousands of other laptops out there. In their own way, they're actually more concerned with superficial appearance than the Starbucks MacBook hipster crowd.

>show off
>a laptop

Yeah I'm convinced all Americans have mild autism. Showing off tech shit got left in the 00s. As we all know though, American social trends take twice as long to shift as anywhere else.

>Yeah I'm convinced all Americans have mild autism.
I don't think that's quite it, but there is something very sick about American society and how conspicuous consumption is considered desirable above all else.

Anything higher than a chromebook fits the meme tbqh famalama.

Why is that ridiculous? People spend 10's of thousands of dollars on more car than they need, hundreds of dollars on more clothes and watches than they need. Who cares?

Found the dirty Slav

I don't know what it is, but I feel like, well I guess this makes sense but society here and in the US is very different. The hipsters here don't give a shit about tech, its been that way for a while. Most of them I know are using fucking Android burners because they're clumsy and poor. They simply don't give a shit, the 'barely making it through the month' aesthetic is what's 'in' now. Everybody on this board is a fucking shut-in though and they still think its 2006. They don't know what's going on.

Guess again.

I'm a American and you're right about us valuing how much you can consume as a major factor in a persons worth. Not everyone is like this, but the more you have then more you are likely to perceive others like this. I'm guilty as well.

The way others treat you depends on your apparence and the money you appear to have, but it can go both ways. If you're just a little bit richer, the poorer will think you're an asshole. If you're mega fucking rich, everyone will think you're a god.

But Americans are no where near as bad as Chinese and Korean foreign students in the US. I live in a big 10 Midwest college town. Every day I see these kids driving $150k cars. I saw a pink Audi R8, a McLaren parked on the street every day, lambos, Bentleys, Ferraris, in southern fucking Indiana. You can not believe how rich these kids are.

do you work with me?

but yeah, I can see where it comes from in the sense of a vendor-supported unix-based OS.

Except for all the terminal-crashing bugs in Sierra, but that's a rant for another day

From what I can tell, conspicuous consumption is a more widespread problem in the US, but those from China or Korea or wherever who do go for it do so to a much greater degree. Also worth noting that the examples there involve parents buying their kids whatever they want, rather than people spending their own money.

And it's worse than you think it is; when I was shopping for an apartment recently, one of the places I looked at was owned by a Chinese couple who bought it for their daughter to live in while she was going to uni here. And this is a nice two-bedroom place I'm talking about, not the kind of shoebox you usually think of when you think student apartment.

>not even having a touchscreen
BAH

Oh damn what's wrong with sierra? We're still on el captian, not allowed to upgrade yet.

Dude those kids where I live rent $500k houses and $5k/mo apartments. They are driving up the real estate prices like crazy. Those cars I mentioned are mostly leased as well.

they're more than capable of doing facebook but are dogshit for doing any real shit

They are very powerful computers with an OS that looks pretty nice. Problem is that although they're quite powerful, they're incredibly overpriced - presumably due to the physical appearance and Apple's sneaky emotional marketing. Would buy a MacBook and tripleboot with Windows/Linux if they were reasonably priced.

I just have an Arch sticker covering the Apple logo because the asymmetrical thing is fucking hideous. If it wasn't ugly and glowing I'd consider going naked.

Facebook machine is the average consumer grade

I do all my data cleaning/machine learning calculations on my 2016 MacBook

It's way more powerful than people give it credit for

Mate, that's still nothing compared to London. We get the oil niggers over here with outrageous things like custom Veyrons, $15 million gold plated Lambos, a velvet Ferrari, its insane. London and Dubai have the craziest and rarest cars. I've become desensitized to hypercars now. No one even glances at a Bentley in traffic.

>touchscreen
>on a laptop

This, ladies and gentlemen, is nu-Sup Forums. You'd have gotten fucking banned if you greentexted such a thing just 5 years ago.

>presumably due to the physical appearance and Apple's sneaky emotional marketing.

Apple almost needs to be overpriced. Running all the shit they have going on is costly. What other tech company do you know have just recently made their own brand new filesystem, programming language, etc. Apple is on a path to basically end-to-end sourcing its own shit from itself. They'd buy the companies making the components and the foundries, actually that's exactly what they're doing, but very slowly because its expensive. Buying 20 smaller companies every year for their employees and IP is expensive too.

Also don't forget, Apple have literally zero real competition. Until a company adopts a Linux distro with lots of custom tweaks and changes for their own hardware, and commit to it forever, Apple have no competition. That's why they can price how they do.

Just the thought of it is stupid. You're paying a lot of money so you can be Facebook's product, so well fucking done. Not to mention that there would be literally no difference if you got a weaker machine. Good little consumers.

people literally buy them but all they do is browse facebook.
just get an ipad