The Multi Monitor Meme

A Question for you all...
How do you handle a multiple system multiple monitor set up.
I have a dual monitor set up at work and I love it for workflow.
I want the same with my new home system.

Difference is at home I will have my Desktop and also my work PC (a Dell M3800 [Do not recommend])
I was looking to see if there was an elegant KVM solution that switched keyboard and mouse with the active window.

I know I can buy something that will switch display ports, but ideally I like the idea of being able to switch one or two monitors for each system to have them open together or either open exclusively.
Something that could be initiated via hotkey or software would be brilliant.

Anyone implemented something like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

startech.com/au/Cards-Adapters/Laptop-docking-stations/two-laptop-docking-station~USB3DDOCKFT
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I just have a huge 35" 4k monitor which is like having 4 1080p 17" monitors arranged in a grid, but without borders.

That's cool but do you switch multiple systems to your monitor?

Which monitor did you buy?

First people who bitch about monitors are just sorry ass poorfag scrubs and two why not get monitors with dual hdmi/displayports? Pic related, the other solution.

Dual keyboard and mouse inputs how?

I have vm's switch I switch between using qemu's gtk windows, but if im running a pci passthrough machine, I switch to the output of the gfx card I have passed through. I haven't figured out a way yet to detach peripherals from pci passthough vm's, so I return to my host OS by shutting down the guest.

I think a good solution is to have your secondary machine run a spice or vnc server on the local network, so you can access your second machine from a window on your primary machine, which will have both monitors setup.

there's a program called synergy that will let you share the mouse/keyboard between two computers on the same network. it used to be free but now they charge for it.

use synergy

this post was meant for

Running 25" trips on two rigs, zero issues. Gimmie a sec and ill get you a keyboard mouse solution.

Pic

This

>use synergy

interesting solution I will have a look at it

Look forward to it

Murica... Capitalism... That my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

If you don't mind giving up having a monitor for the laptop, look into mouse without borders. It lets your mouse go from your desktop to your laptop.

I got a Logitech MX Master Mouse as well. Little fucker lets you switch up to three machines
by just pushing a button.

multipointer x (keyboard + mouse)
or
tmux + ssh (keyboard only)

>I haven't figured out a way yet to detach peripherals from pci passthough vm's
are you just talking about keyboard + mouse or switching the gpu too ?
i've tried detaching the gpu from a running VM for like a week before i gave up, doesn't work, even if the guest completely releases the gpu

Same for their Logitech K810 keyboard. Solutions exist user, just need to figure out which works best for you.

No offense, but this sounds like quite an autistic solution to a simple problem

it shares your keyboard + mouse to all configured devices. im using it for my dual desktop + laptop setup.
google the free version

>How do you handle a multiple system multiple monitor set up.
i always ssh into the VMs, the only hardware my VMs have access too are ram, some pinned cores and sometimes a GPU

This is prohibitively expensive

startech.com/au/Cards-Adapters/Laptop-docking-stations/two-laptop-docking-station~USB3DDOCKFT

Don't even think about dual monitor on AMD graphics cards.

My AMD RX 480 reference card went from 40C to 70C in idle when adding another monitor. I'm sure it works better with aftermarket cards because the reference intel-tier aluminum bottle cap heatsink does jackshit. The card draws 20-40W in idle and the memory clock stays at 2GHz indefinitely

Would you choose a GTX1060 for similar money instead?

user please don't go second rate can't keep up with Nvidia. Amd's death warrant is already signed.

Been using Synergy for years, it's great

Moment you realise you can only look at one monitor at a time. What are you people doing that couldn't be achieved by minimising and maximising a few windows? Hopefully not multimeme gaymen...

Actually having two full screen browser windows is amazing.

I use two monitors at home with my personal desktop and my work MacBook Pro. I use DisplayPort/thunderbolt to connect the monitors to the mbp, dvi for my pc. Monitors set to auto detect. I plug my peripherals into one of the monitors, basically monitor is USB hub. I have the monitor hooked to a USB extension cable accessible on the top of my desk. When using pc, I have the USB lead plugged into the extension cable going to the pc, when using the mbp i I plug the monitor lead into the mbp.

Fullscreen video on one monitor, computing on the other

can you stop memeing

Only faggots who have never used multi monitor think this.

I take it you have never had a job where you had to manually compare two massive datasets, or where you had to remote into multiple machines while using your desktop.

Not even suggesting multiple virtual desktops, gtfo.

>not having a single massive 43" 4K monitor
Plebs

43" 4k at home.

4x 27" at work.

I prefer multi at work but my single at home is perfect for multi tasking study and media.

I'd much rather have multiple smaller monitors

the point of multimonitor setups is that you can have more information available at the same time without needing to switch workspaces/windows/...
like coding on your main monitor, specification, standard,man pages on another, related code (like your libraries / functions you need to work with) on another monitor, build system, unit tests, issue tracker, ....

you don't look at everything at the same time, but use the other monitors as reference
e.g. you run your unit tests on one monitor, and compare the debug messages/results with the code you have written on an other monitor.
or you code on your main monitor and use the other monitor to read the specification

no, i work at the toilet store

it's way easier to organize everything on multiple smaller monitors because you can use each screen as an additional category
screen -> workspace -> layout
vs just
workspace -> layout

Sounds like you got a crappy job

23 + 27 ISP monitors at home. The 27" is the perfect mix between work and movie monitor

>How do you handle a multiple system multiple monitor set up.
i use linux as my main computer and except on rare occasion, all of the displays are connected to it. if i want to do things with the other computers then i use a few methods (remote desktop, network sharing, vnc).

>I was looking to see if there was an elegant KVM solution that switched keyboard and mouse with the active window.
dont get a kvm as there are better (and free) options these days. maybe the easiest solution is to just remote desktop it. for example if you use linux and want to access a windows machine then enable remote desktop on the windows machine and use remmina to access it from linux.