Whats is this halp!

Well I got an old pc with a pentium 4 and I foun this in a pci, but I really dont know what it is

firewire

firewire (FW400)

now you just need an ancient iPod
be sure to get the right one!

Ohhh thanks guys, actually in this year the people use it?

Hahahaha I got it, I will thanks

There were some peripherals that used it, external drives, scanners ect. I had a slide scanner that was FireWire only.

Basically not. It was used back when yuge bandwidth was required. After USB3.0 is introduced FW is redundant.

Some hard drives, scanners, audio interfaces and video cameras use FW. One potential issue is that the stuff that used it assume you're also using a Mac, because it was Apple's port of choice on their systems way back when, so hard drives with FW will almost certainly be formatted as HFS+, and some stuff may lack drivers for non-Macs.

The bandwidth between FW and USB was largely similar between generations, but FW did have a few advantages, first is that it had a higher stable transfer speed, making it good for applications where a continuous load was applied (streaming from video cam).
Second is that the FW interface supports memory-mapped devices, which allows high-level protocols to run without loading the host CPU with interrupts and buffer-copy operations, so even if your CPU was at 100% usage, the performance of FW wouldn't suffer.
And finally FW let you daisy-chain a multitude of devices to one port, which was convenient for adding external storage.

Ultimately this was really only stuff professionals cared about and it was mostly kept alive by Apple, which is why it died off when they stopped using it in their computers. The new replacement for FireWire is Thunderbolt.

I see, but, I have another doubt, the motherboard of it its a compaq 077ch it have 3 slots for ram the kingston and the other one of 256 mb are in there, but I want more ram for install windows 10 and I have a 512 memory but I im not sure it gona work and im gonna burn everything :(

BACK AWAY FROM THAT P4
7 and 10 require a minimum of 1GB, just leave XP on there
look up the machine's specifications on Compaq's website, it will tell you how much and what type of memory you can install

im old

Daaaaaaaamnn!
I already installed the windows vista

Also see how the Hynix 512 stick only has one notch and a different number of gold connectors at the bottom compared to the other two? It's not compatible.

>The bandwidth between FW and USB was largely similar between generations
Option Discarded.

Well if you got Vista to run you might get 7 to run. It's gonna be slow as shit though.

As others pointed out, firewire card.

Fun additional detail: for a time add-on soundcards came with firewire ports. Good for connecting various peripherals. However, they can also be configured/connected as network ports. For several years I had a Soundblaster card connected by firewire to a firewire port native to another motherboard. (FW 400, not FW 800, which would have been nice)

Both systems were WinXP. Both systems were connected by Cat 5e cables to a router, but they had an independent "secret" network between themselves which could transfer massive amounts of data at about double (or more) the gigabit network ports.

Came in slightly handy, but it was fun that nobody could find my computers on the network or log into them even if they did, yet I had near transparent data transfer between all the HDDs of the two systems. My limiting factor was the write speed of the old PATA and SATA I HDD specs ... an improvement over the Cat 5e cable.

Nice hat trick to know about, even if practical use of it is quite limited. Was a comfy feeling having that extra layer of protection against the world yet greater freedom between my systems.

See how it works for you, but you'll probably want to go back to XP. Of course, there are linux distros that will be even lighter than XP ... and, XP on that system isn't really getting you any Windows productivity to justify it.

For a dinking-around system, look into trying several of the lightest weight linux install you can track down. You might be surprised at what you can still do with that. Very especially if you can't track down enough RAM to get beyond 256 MB.

I used to run a dual boot P4 1.2 GHz system with 3 x 128 MB ECC RAM chips for 384 MB RAM ... had puppy linux and Win 2K on it. WinXP sort of worked, but Win2K was in love with that system.

Best fucking port until thunderbolt and USB-C arrived!
Not really. Only if you have an old miniDV cam you want to capture video from..

So it looks like your computer can take a max of 3x512 PC133. If you can find it for cheap (or preferably free) you could try installing 10.

I had forgotten you could use it for networking. The only thing interesting I ever used it for was Target Disk Mode, that worked great.

Nice man, but, I can really install programs of this year on that (win2k)?
I dont know, you know i got a laptop with an i7, id prefer to use this one for my hacking experiments using linux

I'll try with both win and linux

Yes

Damn mate, that sounds fucking awesome. Firewire is better then USB. Imagine if they would have made a new and improved version.

Just install kubuntu, you can use it to browse, I hope you have a vha tho

They did, S1600, for which there were only a few devices, and S3200, which never made it past being a specification. Pretty sad

Fuck man, indeed. Is it still possible to get a FireWire card and use it? It could honestly come in handy for transferring files from one PC to the other.
Hopefully it comes back, and better then ever.

Of course it is. You'd have better speeds just using Ethernet though

Yea. Well RIP.

thunderbolt is pretty much the new firewire - high bandwidth, peer-to-peer networking (at least on mac os, seems like only the fruits support it), daisy chained devices, fuck all stuff uses it...

thunderbutt might be cool when it has better linux support or even non-mac support in general

Yea, but I haven't seen it on anything outside of the Apple ecosystem.

You could network PCs over FireWire too couldn't you?

Yeah, you could do all sorts of neat stuff. On Macs you can boot to Target Disk Mode and use it as an external drive, your HDDs, optical drive, and connected FireWire drives all show up on the host. Still can with Thunderbolt

NX-bit not supported windows 7 is the latest you can go

A bunch of Gigabyte boards and a few ANUS models offer thunderbolt 2 or 3 either native on the board (using intel's thunderbutt/usb3 controller) or (in most cases) through a pcie add-in card

It should have been as simple as throwing a pcie card into any modern system to get it but iirc there's some Intel jew bullshit going on there.

Some external HDD's, audio equipment and other shit uses FireWire. It was useful for data transfer but not too much more.