How is it possible macOS can be unix?

isn't macOS the worst OS among the 3 most popular (windows NT and linux?). guessing just fake marketing as usual with applel

it's certified unix.
it's not the worst it's the best desktop OS, people just hate it because it's restricted to shitty mac hardware, and people are too dumb to install hackintosh

Stop this shit meme. Mac OS is Unix-like but not Unix. It uses the XNU kernel (based on Darwin) developed by Apple along with some Next components and other stuff thrown in. It's supposed to be Posix compliant but it's fucking not. It's an OS for filthy normies. Install GNU/Linux, GNU/Hurd, a BSD distro, or any other fully open source OS that you can fully control.

1. You take BSD source code
2. You fuck it up
3. Sell it

Every release they make the UI shittier and less consistent AND THE FINDER STILL SUCKS. when was 10.1? 2002? Fuck that. The old Mac OS had a great UI that was consistent as fuck.

/thread

>it's certified unix.
>it's not the worst it's the best desktop OS
Opinion.
>people just hate it because it's restricted to shitty mac hardware, and people are too dumb to install hackintosh
And false, I dislike it and I run it on Apple hardware.

>these are the kinds of posts I see on Sup Forums's technology board

Why do I come here?

ikr, can't wait until the rest of this board ascends to macOS

>complaining about ui consistency on macos
>when alternatives are windows and linux

stop and think about that for a second.

I'm not a Mac user but I do like the product line. A MacBook Pro, ThinkPad and a desktop is basically an ideal setup. The only thing stopping me is that I'm literally just too poor for a Mac. Having the iPhone experience, in desktop OS land, it must be fucking bliss. Plus I know for a fact macOS has tonnes more useful free software.

ohgod you're right

If you don't run libreboot, get on my level.

If you don't use a thinkpad, gtfo of Sup Forums.

>worse than Windows
Fuck no. Being worse than Linux is up for debate though.

OS X is literally UNIX, this is not up for debate.

dumb freetard

GNU is the operating system and linux is but one of its kernels.

Eat shit and die, freetard. It's just Linux.

worse than sucker-tard

OK take the fucking kernel and see how much it can do by itself.

Fuck off tribe mentality Sup Forumstard. I've got 4 ThinkPads and I use a MBP.

>libreboot

God you freetards are so dumb. You'll sperg about privacy then use the worldwide web, use an Android phone, connect to a cellular network, etc.

You're all fucking posers who are actually tech illiterate as fuck.

it's always young, usually 18 or even younger, posters who falls headfirst for every single meme they see when they go to a new board
ThinkPads are cheap so it's easy for even these idiots to buy them, then they fall for the stallman autism
I legitimately think he should be removed from the sticky

We both "Linux" is a colloquialism for operating systems that use Linux as their kernel. Not only do some lack GNU software, therefore making GNU/Linux entirely incorrect, but GNU/Linux is also unfair terminology as it gives GNU credit without credit going to systemd, xorg, etc. Linux is the one common component of all these operating systems, has already been established as the name for all of them, and should stay that way.

Why don't you take those Thinkpads and shove them up your ass. I am suprised you macfags are still breathing.

*We both know

Yeah I'm not exactly happy about a Jewish communist hippy being the board's mascot. Someone who has one sperg rage episode in the 70s when he couldn't get a printer to do something then started an almost half century long crusade because of it. I'm semi-joking, proprietary software is basically the biggest problem in the world and its the only reason we can get fucked over and spied on. I know what I'm doing though, I know I'm not out of the botnet's reach because I fucking installed Linux. I've got to fundamentally change my life to be botnet free. Thing is though, I can't make money by giving the same speech for 10 years at universities and I can't sleep under a desk at some university and couch surf when the evening cleaners get annoyed with me, like Stallman. As long as I simply use a bank account and live where I do its impossible not to use shackling software. He has the right idea though. Technology controls the world as we all know, proprietary technology makes it so the person who controls the software controls you. Where would the NSA be if all software was FOSS and no hardware backdoors existed? They wouldn't exist.

Neck yourself you tech illiterate teenage cunt.

There's nothing wrong with it, Sup Forums just hates it because Sup Forums has to maintain it's "freetard" image.

>Mac OS is Unix-like but not Unix.
No, it is actually Unix. It's based on BSD, which was descended from the AT&T codebase. But besides that, it's a certified Unix.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the cration of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those were fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over including some already answered in your FAQ.
One guy, Linus Torvalds (me), used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). I named it 'Linux' with a little help from my friends. Why don't I call it GNU/Linux? Because I wrote it, with more help from my friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff. The proper name is Linux because I says so. I have spoken. Accept my authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies to whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and application to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies you strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Har, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

You're being negative in the freedom dimension.

>>it's certified unix.
That is not an opinion. Having a certification is a fact. The only two Linux distributions which are certified UNIXes are both made in China - Huawei's EulerOS and Inspur's K-UX. Other currently certified UNIXes are AIX, HP-UX, macOS, Solaris and z/OS.

With no drivers, hackingtosh will only work on the specific shit hardware. It will literally run worse than it would on a mac.

all you need is an intel cpu and an nvidia gpu and it works perfectly.

Proprietary software is the "meme"

>using jew components
No thanks

>using pajeet component
poo i loo

Linux is by far the worst desktop OS of the three. Windows would be 2nd and OS X 1st.

The OS is fantastic, the hardware is overpriced DOA garbage.

pretty subtle

This.