Systemd: A noob friendly explanation of why it sucks?

would be much apreciated ...

It's a good clean-up, that's for sure. Hundreds of poorly written legacy applications are now officially deprecated as systemd replaces everything.

it replaces them with its own set of poorly written applications with a bonus of forcing 3rd party devs to use its api.

it itself directly doesn't that much
while it does make things easier, thats not necissarily a good thing. Its replaced a lot of programs relatively quickly. The only real valid complaint is auditing of code and that it hasn't been around for decades to prove itself yet.
But then again those are just unixfags trying to bait, linux doesn't have to be unix like to a T

You're not going to get any arguments by its detractors outside of the subjective
>muh unix philosophy
>muh reddhat
>muh Poettering
Fact is, systemd is superior from a technical point of view.

The new X11.

UNIX is proprietary Linux doesn't need to be UNIX at all.

What's systemd?

Everything Poettering wants it to be.

A replacement for systemv which means system 5.
systemd is the upgrade it stands for system 500 in roman numerals.

this

>technical
political*

See this is exactly what I meant. You'll never see detractos bring up anything technical.

>t. red hat shill

Everything worked fine before systemd. If anything it's change for the purpose of change and not progress.

I honestly have no problem shilling for redhat because I think they've done a lot of good for the linux desktop in general. I don't use gnome myself but in general I like their philosophy.

There are a few common complaints.

SystemD is a single large program that replaces many smaller programs. Some would argue it is an example of feature creep, and is contrary to the unix philosophy

Also configuration isn't solely done through editing text files so in the case of a major fuck up, fixing it can be difficult.

The head of the project also gets a lot of shit because he is an asshole and can't stand criticism.

That said, there are good reasons ubuntu and red hat adopted systemD. It's too bad it is a hard dependency for gnome3, but it generally makes the lives of linux users and sysadmins easier

>head project is an asshole
this

>system500
Military grade autism confirmed

>SystemD is a single large program
Wrong, it's actually of collection of multiple programs.
>he is an asshole
Do you have some examples of him being an asshole?

Stop perpetuating FUD.

>Systemd thread
>20 replies
>Ctrl-F botnet
>0 results

i miss the old Sup Forums

It lacks a lot of logging features. This is what power users complain about.

It is a single large fucking monolith, no matter how many binaries the build produces.

But that's wrong, you don't have to use all the features that systemd provides, you can stick to a subset. Having multiple binaries facilitate that.

>"no you don't need systemd to use udev"
>*udev gets merged with systemd*
>"whoopsie :^)"

It has an absurd amount of dangerous bugs for what it's meant to do. It has absorbed a large amount of software that it probably shouldn't have. It suffers from a multitude of poor design choices for no apparent reason.

The developers are a gaggle of crybaby faggots, but this is just salt in the wound.

SYSTEMD IS FUCKING BOTNET BECAUSE MUH BINARY LOGS MUH MUH DURR HURR

Hello Pajeet, Michael from the RedHat HQ here. I'm afraid we can't pay you for such a low quality post, please improve your shilling efforts. Cheers.

>irony
>2000017
>not getting it
I seriously hate systemd. Using a sysvinit, bsdinit or OpenRC, wherever I can.

Locking discussion is absolutely the right thing to do when the peanut gallery starts flooding in random issues.

>Its intended!
>Linux is stupid!
>Just because!

This guy can seriously fuck off already. I'm still waiting on a compelling reason for mounting the EFI partition by default, using Google's shit-ass NTP servers for builds, and creating files with global rwx permissions.

Hundreds of (possibly) poorly written legacy applications are being replaced by one giant poorly written blob.

you know how I know you never did any sysadmin on sysv?

That isn't irony its satire you moron.

Devs might actually include service files with their programs now

That's pretty much the biggest upshot of systemd but I'm not so sure it's worth sacrificing stability for convenience.

thank you motherfucker.

the biggest upshot is that it frees people from having to manage their computer services so they can actually focus on getting work done

having a mathematical systems theory algorithm managing my services and dependencies in parallel is vastly superior to anything I could come up with by myself

yeah it might be a headache for some embedded applications where you need fine grained control of the init but I can't imagine why unless the designer is just being super obtuse

>mathematical systems theory algorithm
Did you make this shit up or did they add more snakeoil to their feature list?

>systemd

It's literally named after systems theory

Well you know son, a long time ago I was working on microchips and shit, developing production technologies and stuff. Then I moved to digital chip architecture. Then CPUs. Then electronic system architecture, I could design entire computers with my eyes closed. Then I started development, low level: boot loaders, primitive OS, more advanced ones... back then we had entire systems coded in assembly which never even crashed once. Then I kept moving to higher level concepts: Bordland, B, BCPL, C, C++, ADA, Prolog, Lua, Java, Python...

So SystemD? I have no fucking idea, because like everyone who has the skills, I have long given up, and anyone pretending to understand likely has no fucking clue, otherwise we wouldn't be in this shit.

All I can tell you is electronics have grown out of proportion. Mostly to handle issues that weren't quite issues to begin with, and mostly incomprehension from retards. So they came up with solutions to those non-issues, and those solutions came with their own issues, that another generation failed to fix and added more issues, and in the end you have a huge bloat that doesn't really serve any valid purpose anymore. Just looking at a motherboard these days has me go "what the fuck?!", because 99% of the shit on it has no reason to be there, and OSes are equally bloated. Hardware itself is a fucking mess and it's no surprise the software has grown equally retarded. Maybe a new generation will one day start over from scratch and make proper hardware and software, so that we don't have to use all the combined power of computers in the 80's just to display a fucking web page anymore.

Because yes, you have the equivalent of an early 00's era supercomputer in your pocket, and that's what it takes to send 140 byte long messages on Twitter. So SystemD should be the least of your worries really, instead you should focus on nuking California.

Stop drinking Ganges water

Try and do this with fstab and openrc.

Go ahead I'll wait.

Its just a simple automount, I'm sure you can handle it.

XD

Unix philosophy is many tools doing one thing well

Systemd is a nerd turbocharging a start daemon of features

Is that an sshfs automount? Neat, how well does it work? I've had sshfs hangs when the connection drops, does it automatically reconnect?

cron mount -a

The days of hanging filesystems and manually mounting sshfs are gone with systemd.
home-wut-1tb.automount
[Automount]
Where=/home/wut/1tb
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

home-wut-1tb.mount
[Mount]
What=m900g:/mnt/1tb
Where=/home/wut/1tb
Type=fuse.sshfs
Options=_netdev,user,idmap=user,allow_other,default_permissions,uid=1000,gid=1000
LazyUnmount=True
ForceUnmount=True
TimeoutSec=5

This is basically the correct way to handle remote mount points in a home user's directory, there is basically no sane way to do it with depreciated fstab.

Cool, I use sshfs a lot with my server so I'll be using that for myself.

I like systemd a lot, but I'm probably missing out on a lot of its features just because I don't know them, what's a good starting point for lightweight "sysadmin" purposes?

First I was like "this guy gets it"

>instead you should focus on nuking California

Then I was like "this guy REALLY gets it"

Let's just cut to the chase:
Is systemd a backdoor? Y/n

And the OP was enlightened

Jus read the source and all the dependencies {:^)-/--