/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions
Take at least 10 seconds to google first

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rs.w4ch.xyz/?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC#Compression_levels
askubuntu.com/questions/441040/failed-to-get-size-of-gamma-for-output-default-when-trying-to-add-new-screen-res
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How do I connect a microphone to facebook when I'm using tor? I want to make a call but it doesn't see it.

T400 can use 2 SSD/HDDs?

if it got dvd rom then yes, just remove faggy rom and put caddy for 2.5" disks

The laptop? No.

Yes it can, you need a ultrabay cady for it, they are $5.

Is there a way to turn off the phone in Android?
As in, be able to still use other apps but not be able to receive phone calls or messages?

Google docs keeps opening my documents on Android and I want something better to do it with.
Got Document Viewer installed and it's great, but it doesn't do .doc or .docx or .odt. Won't show them in the file browser, it only finds the .pdf files.

How do I find which ports on my uni's network are available?

I want to vpn home, but the openvpn port is blocked. nmapping the public ip only results in an open ssh, everything else appears to be blocked, although we do have http and https traffic.

Remove SIM card.

What's a good BluRay drive?

Airplane mode?

Get an iPod. Same thing, just with Apple instead of glorious .apk support.

Any way to create a PDF portfolio, without using Adobe Acrobat?

Latex?

Anyone know what happened to rs.w4ch.xyz/?

How do I reduce my "Other" file on my iPhone. I've restored, erased, reset repeatedly, but it just keeps getting bigger. Currently 3.9 gigs with a fresh reset and nothing but stock apps installed, and it used to hover around 1.9 with all my shit on it.

>iPhone

>tfw can't figure it out

why does thsi happen

What browser is that?

firefox 52

How do you wipe an SSD of all partitions without wearing it out? I'm using it in a new PC and everything has to go.

4chanX stopped working for me about a month ago. The thing is, when I open a thread with it, every single time I open a thread the config file pops out at me. This is annoying, but what's even worse is that when I try to post, it just eats the captcha. What could be wrong?

which 4chanx version do you have installed?

just remove the old partitions and add the new ones with like fdisk or gparted
it should not write anything extensive as far as I know

I've purchased a 49" HDR TV for my new home but don't currently have anywhere to put it besides my desk. How retarded would it be to use it as a monitor? I currently have a 28" 4K IPS monitor but have to use display scaling, it occurs to me that, at 49", it would be possible to comfortably use without scaling.

Is it a dangerous idea to let the temperature of my GPU exceed 80c with 100% usage?

I'm experimenting with overclocking my GTX 770 but I don't want to raise the fan speed by a lot because they make an annoying whining noise when I try that.

>Is it a dangerous idea to let the temperature of my GPU exceed 80c
I had a shit PC for a couple of years and this causes crashes, I'm preety sure I'm very lucky that it didn't burn. Do it at your own risk.

Buy 1080 now or wait for Vega?

I get screen flashes if I forget to turn the fan on (nvidia-settings somehow defaults to 0%) and the temperature reaches 50-60C

using it as a monitor: not the best idea, but not a dumb either

staring at a 49" TV at monitor range: bad idea.

Always buy AMD

what do you have now
anything newer than 800 series wait
you can play games and whatever at 1080 medium to low
if you really need something extra get like a xx50 low end model or whatever and wait for the model after vega

only on windows
amd on linux is shit

>amd on linux is shit
How does that work?

Why do .flac's of the same source sometimes have different file sizes?
Yes I ran them through spectro and they're both lossless.

at least with wine, whenever somebody has a problem and it is with the gpu it is always either all gpus or just amd and maybe intel

different compression levels.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC#Compression_levels

Thanks. So if I'm literally autistic, I can convert all my flacs to have the same compression level, right?

sure, don't forget to uncompress them to wav first and then recompress, so they are all even

Thanks.

There are some old games that I prefer playing on CRT. Up until recently I could use a VGA to DVI-I adapter to connect CRT to my system. After upgrading GPU recently the ports available are DVI-D and it is not possible to use an adapter to convert the signal (even though products claiming to do this are being sold). So what are my options?

>1. Have an older GPU installed in the 2nd PCI-E slot in my system just for CRT tasks?
>2. Try dsub/VGA onboard APU for the game (probably won't deliver enough performance)
>3. ???

Anyone know?

Just installed Ubuntu GNOME alongside W10 and got everything to work since GRUB was giving me trouble until I added nomodeset to the list of boot commands.

Now my screen resolution is capped at 1024x768 for some reason, I'd like it to be native which is 1920x1080. Anyone know how to fix this?

>wait for VEGA
>price drops on 1080
>enjoy a cheap 1080

There should be an for that in Ubuntu's setting manager. If there isn't, run xrandr in the terminal and reply with the output.

*an option for that

Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting ping spikes every minute or so on wifi when my brother who is sat next to me using the same wifi has no problem? I've got the same spikes using 2 different adapters and even taking my PC to another house and using their ISP. I can't understand what the issue could be.

Has there been an update released by windows for that nsa tools leak recently?

>pic related
An idiot would pick up 100$ from the ground if he stumbled on it. Would you not do so?

xrandr spits out the following:

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected primary 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 76.00*

Is it safe to have javascript enabled in tor?

Is that all it tells you? Might be a driver issue, check out:
askubuntu.com/questions/441040/failed-to-get-size-of-gamma-for-output-default-when-trying-to-add-new-screen-res

If you trust the site.

It could be an FBI trap.

Facebook.
Should I?

Why the hell are you using tor to get on facebook, Anonymous?

yes, but the naive HDD slot is sata II and the ultrabay to hdd caddy is probably sata I or sata II

Turn off mobile data or deactivate sim card in settings

Fake persona, personal stuff.

Well I added the mode to xrandr but now I'm having difficulty actually adding it to my system.

Typing just "xrandr" gives me this:

xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected primary 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 76.00*
1920x1080_60.00 (0x296) 173.000MHz -HSync +VSync
h: width 1920 start 2048 end 2248 total 2576 skew 0 clock 67.16KHz
v: height 1080 start 1083 end 1088 total 1120 clock 59.96Hz

Is there a way to filter out specific posts? For example - I want to hide all posts that mention reddit.

both 4chanx and the official Sup Forums userscipt has a filter function.

settings -> filter/hiding of specific posts -> edit

what resolution are you playing user? a 1080 destroys anything at 1080p and 1440p
If your monitor is 1080p, just wait and buy a cheaper 1080/1080Ti and enjoy smooth framerates.
I'm on a 1080 on 1440p and I won't worry about autists arguing over gpus a least for two more gens.

If you have a valid mode, you'd have to enter xrandr --output default --mode 1920x1080 to switch to it, but there should already be tons of entries, like mine. It's definitely a driver issue, don't know what you use but try google for how to get it fixed.

ccd0's fork.

but the latest version of it?

>Firefox causing BSOD 0x0000116 atikmpag.sys errors
Yo what the fuck
Anyone else got this recently?

you might want to disable hardware acceleration until mozilla or ayymd gets their shit together.

i don't know how people can manage to navigate to 4chun but don't have the energy to type their issue into google.

yes, made sure I was updated

Haven't tried that yet, thanks.

I tried everything on the driver side of things.

Does windows power plan make a difference in gaming performance? I can see that if I leave it on high performance my CPU stays at 4.2 GHz and the voltage is also consistent whereas balance allows it to down clock to 1.6 GHz and lower voltage.
Does it make a difference in games?

Chrome extension to capture the screen but also let me scroll

I had one years ago but forgot the name and now I'm stuck

is there a way i can burn mp3s to a dvd so i can fit a lot more on it and listen to it in the dvd player in my car?

Perhaps you could run a benchmark?

unless the game completely stops using the CPU it won't drop the multiplier.

My LG phone fell out of my pocket and now the back buttons don't respond. Volume and power are broken.
Is it time to switch off LG?

it's time for you to stop being clumsy as fuck and take care of your shit properly.

I had my hands full of shitposting at the time.

I don't under understand how the Alt+xxxx codes work in Windows.

Why does Alt+9999 give me unicode character 9788?

Anyone here good with Access?

I have a report that displays data from a query (ingredients by recipe), and the query asks for an input parameter - the recipe name - so the report only displays one recipe at a time. Which is fine, it's good, that's what I want it to do. Now I need to create a button that takes me to that report, but with a specific recipe pulled up (i.e. i always want it to pull up Grilled Cheese).

How do I do that?

I have a hard drive that is giving read errors in smart extended test but is all good in the attribute thresholds.
How fugged am I?

that makes no sense, you can't recompress a flac without decoding it to raw pcm in between

because alt codes only work for code page 437, not for unicode.
there's a registry setting that lets you enter them as unicode.

>you can't recompress a flac without decoding it to raw pcm in between

>don't forget to uncompress them to wav first and then recompress

Doesn't this say exactly that?

Then how come Alt+9999 gives me a unicode character that doesn't exist in code page 437?

I'm getting (or 263C, alt+15), what do you get?

What device is your brother using? I've had my network take a shit for some reason. And was reading that it was a problem with iPhones on certain WiFi signals. What I banned the iPhones to test it, the problem went away. I can't remember how I fixed it permanently with out the van, I think I had to remove b WiFi protocol and leave g/n

what i'm saying is that decoding to raw pcm happens anyway, there's no reason to make a .wav file as well

think of it like this, if you were to recompress a jpeg, would you create an intermediary .bmp? no, because there's no reason to, to create a jpeg, you need raw input, to get raw input, you need to decompress the original jpeg
there's no difference whether you use a bmp in between, since the same thing is happening regardless

welp, Sup Forums eats them. it looks like a sun though.

Yeah, user.
But when I tell someone how to get from A to B by car I'm not instructing them how to shift their gears.

i'm arguing the opposite, i'm saying there's /less/ steps than described
you can take a flac file, and output a recompressed flac file /directly/, keeping the raw data only in memory, generated as needed, codecs do this normally, that's literally what they do

Is there something similar to a computer keylogger for android? I think my girlfriend put one on my phone.

is there a reason xml always seems to be the code behind things like form layouts? or its used as a sort of glue between languages

there's other benefits as well, like it's easier to retain metadata since you aren't using an incompatible format in between (wav doesn't support most if not all flac metadata)

It's kinda what it was designed to be

yes, i get that too.

yes. send some messages to fuck with her and see if she brings it up

How do I install linux as a dualboot? I have the gigabyte z97x-ud3h motherboard. Can anyone walk me through this step by step?