Gender-neutral Chromium code

>Emphasis is added: unnecessarily gendered code is discriminatory and condescending, and reading biased code isn't enjoyable.

>Instances of the phrases “he or she”, “his/hers”, “(s)he”, etc. All of these still exclude those who don't identify with either gender, and implicitly (slightly) favor one gender via listing it first.

>“Guys” as a gender-neutral term, which has male associations. Usually in comments it implies anthropomorphism of inanimate objects and should be replaced with a more precise technical term. If it does refer to people, consider using “everyone”, “folks”, “people”, “peeps”, “y'all”, etc.

chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/ /master/styleguide/gender_neutral_code.md

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_pronoun#Generic_he
english.stackexchange.com/questions/30455/is-using-he-for-a-gender-neutral-third-person-correct
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Women? In MY computing?

b-but NO NO NO i thought mozilla was the sjw company??!?!! wtf!!!!!

Not looking so bad now, huh? Apologize

The eight year old in me cheers. My grade school teacher beat my singular use of they/them/their out of me. At the time, it seemed ludicrous not to use they/them/their in cases when I didn't know someone's gender. I assume this was due to my first language. Farsi doesn't have gendered pronouns: everything is "it".

Bahaha! Now I can gleefully write "when the user enters their password" and be right.

I'm not sure how I feel about this bit though...

> For new code/comments, consider using just ‘A’, ‘B’ as names.

Perhaps consider using unisex names instead? Maybe "Alex" and "Bo"?

>Cases that are likely fine to leave alone include:
> A name (“Guy” and “He” are both valid names).
> A language code (“he” is the ISO 639-1 language code for Hebrew).
> He as an abbreviation for “helium”.

I'm dying here

>sjw botnet
nice

> A language code (“he” is the ISO 639-1 language code for Hebrew).

LOL Sup Forums will love this.

I don't WANT a war but we might need one. I really don't know what else there can be done to get bored snowflakes to stop being such dipshits.

Also, holy fuck I hate these captchas. I swear that for the last few days it's been taking -on average- half a dozen attempts until it'll accept it.

Microsoft Edge doesn't have this problem.

What kind of pansy gets offended reading code comments?...

>wanting a war because of some dumb comments

Yeah, that's what I meant - that retarded snowflake shit like this exclusive to this thread topic.

If you really thought google wasn't an SJW company you're a moron.

This is the most stupid SJW bullshit I've read in a long time.

int main(int argc, char* argv[]) can't be written gendered or "gender neutral" or any other way based on some SJW nut-job's preference.

>Not looking so bad now, huh?
Oh yes, it still looks bad. One guy with cancer still has cancer even if some other guy also get's cancer.

>I really don't know what else there can be done to get bored snowflakes to stop being such dipshits.
Vote for people who do not want a easy-to-abuse welfare system / make sure there is no welfare and wait until their parents money is spent or convince all their parents to stop giving them money.

WW3 needs to happen, and these pussy ass faggots need to be wiped out first.

>Try using singular they.
I find this offensive, because "they" has plural associations and I am just a single person, not multiple persons.

What's the problem here?

DAILY REMINDER THAT FIREFOX IS THE ONLY MAJOR BROWSER 100% OPEN SOURCE
>DAILY REMINDER THAT FIREFOX IS THE ONLY MAJOR BROWSER 100% OPEN SOURCE

EVERYONE IS SJW AT THIS POINT, JUST USE FIREFOX FUCK GOOGLE!

You are the one who will be conscripted to war.
Feminism usually rises during wars.
There will be more women than men after war.

Man and to think someone pays her to write this bullshit. Sometimes I wish to have "fuck you" money and open a company just so I could bring these people back to reality.

fuck feminazism

Firefox sells your data to Google and Disconnect.

>int main(int argc, char* argv[]) can't be written gendered or "gender neutral" or any other way based on some SJW nut-job's preference.
The declaration of the C runtime main() function makes no reference to gender in the first place, so it's gender-neutral by default. And if some SJW type thinks "arg(ument)" is excessively confrontational, there's nothing to stop you from rewriting the function as int main(int parameterCount, char **parameterList), since argument/parameter names are only there as a guide to the programmer in the first place.

You have a right to find it offensive, but it is the most common gender-neutral pronoun since all the others are new and basically sound like memes.

Who said we didn't need more concentration camps?

citation pls

this is good

about:config

those people would literally shit themselves if they saw latin and its derivatives

It doesn't work.

Your teacher was an idiot, using singular their is the fucking popper way, as far as grammar is concerned

>Man and to think someone pays her to write this bullshit.
They do? If this was in my company I'd throw the snowflake out for wasting time bikeshedding on fictional issues

This is great

I hate when texts say "he" when referring to the user or reader

Should it refer as (You) instead?

it should be neutral

he is not neutral

>Occurrences in randomly generated strings or base-64 encodings.

Fucking kek

Yes it is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_pronoun#Generic_he
english.stackexchange.com/questions/30455/is-using-he-for-a-gender-neutral-third-person-correct

no it is not
those are just patriarchal old prescriptivists

it is the same kind of people who say that prepositions are bad for ending sentences with

they adamantly try to enforce stuff that servers no semantic purpose, or even has harmful semantics like "he"

>I find your use of subjectively gender-biased words disrespectful/whatever
I find your making a big fucking deal out of an irrelevant matter of semantics and wasting time and resources on bikeshedding solutions to solve this non-problem disruptive, wasteful, bad for the environment, and slowing global progress by reallocating precious development resources to your tasks

I find your addressing me through overly neutralized wording an attempt to ignore my identity as a male person and therefore a case of objectification to something inhuman

I do not feel as welcome when documentation etc uses incorrect pronouns

it is not irrelevant semantics, it is pretty relevant semantics

>incorrect
The pronoun applies to a fictional character that serves as an example user, not to the person reading it

>I do not feel as welcome
feel free to leave then, if your feelings are as fragile as a sheet of glass that such a thing hurts you

I would hope you wouldn't feel welcome, you sack of shit

Nobody's holding a gun to programmer's heads and saying they have to revise their documentation. We're just using the free marketplace of ideas to advocate for more inclusive language. The software industry is free to keep their focus on writing new code rather than revising documentation, but regardless we have a right to provide suggestions and criticism.

>This document is based on an internal Google document by Rachel Grey and others, which can be found here (sorry, Googler only).
So progressive :)

>Nobody's holding a gun to programmer's heads and saying they have to revise their documentation
except sjws are well known to pull off massively aggressive hate campaigns against anyone they disagree with, not even stopping short of doxxing

>parameterList
not
>parameterArray

>Meanwhile palememe is the GOAT browser

>except sjws are well known to pull off massively aggressive hate campaigns against anyone they disagree with, not even stopping short of doxxing
We have yet to see evidence of this, but regardless, we do not support this behavior, and there don't appear to be any signs that this behavior is supported by the Chromium community either.

arab you need to go back

>unironically supporting furry degeneracy

I sure am glad we don't have gender neutral pronouns in Portuguese

Kek

I suggest we start hunting humans for fun. Snowflakes should be prize game. In fact, snowflakes should be the only game.

Fuck your feelings with a rusty screwdriver :^)

>We have yet to see evidence of this
is this fucking bait?

Kill
All
Sjws

Fucking CIA niggers

>gender neutral code
>average user never sees it
for what purpose?
do they change the code just so they can put their names on the contribution list without actually providing functionality?

Firefox is still bad luckily we have Waterfox

"hey everybody im going to gender neutral our code"
>sed -ie 's/he/it/g'

"looks like it doesn't work anymore sorry"

>we have yet to see evidence of this
donglegate, drupal controversy recently, and countless other stories.

when will moot fix this?

>using chrome
>using firefox
>not using pale moon
shiggy diggy do, where are you

Only an idiot would think that running a text-replacement tool with no understanding of semantics over their entire codebase could be trusted not to screw everything up.

We were not there to witness any of these incidents, and have not yet found them documented by any source which we can trust to be free of bias.

I was there and there are plenty of sources without bias.

>I was there
That isn't really relevant, since you're just some random user and there's no way to know if you are trustworthy and unbiased. You could even be lying about being there - not saying you've shown any signs of untrustworthiness, but with so little information on who you are, there's really no way of saying.

>plenty of sources without bias.
How do you know that they are without bias?

>it is the same kind of people who say that prepositions are bad for ending sentences with

It is correct if you dont know the gender. If you are talking about someone its wrong.

>That isn't really relevant

It's extremely relevant since I'm one of the victims of the outrage mob.

>How do you know that they are without bias?

Due to factual reporting of facts without spin.

> Hating on my method to make the code gender neutral.
If you don't accept my Pull Request, it proofs you are a racist misogynist.

>All of these still exclude those who don't identify with either gender
Well the snowflakes will just have to fucking pick a gender, won't they?

how popular is this SJW think in tech? I'm about as liberal and left leaning as a person can get but this gender fluidity pronoun bullshit really annoys me. It's such a frivolous issue to whine about.

Where did these people get the idea that their feelings matter

Topkek. Chrome shills on suicide watch

Since good people did nothing. Now good people are fighting back.

this

the dude was such a sport. he didn't broke her nose and chose to punch her in the forehead, plus he didn't kick her when she went down. respect.

People don't unironically have a problem with this do they?

Moments before, she was throwing empty bottles at people in the crowd.

>why are marine vessels referred to with female pronouns reeeeeeeeeeeee

Found the tech tranny

>getting triggered over people who get triggered by small things

You are the snowflake. You are the most sensitive person ive ever seen. You are a massive massive sjw.

I wish the trumpites in the midwest werent all beta nu males id love to scrap with them.

Literally nobody has the balls to wear a red cap in Michigan.

Why's that toughguy? Are you imblying you're big and scary?

The picture furthest on the right pretty obviously shows the same guy that punched her in the video (presumably it's another shot of the same blow), however in the video she doesn't appear to be holding a bottle. You can see pretty clearly in the video that only one of her hands has a glove on it, and at that point there isn't anything in that hand. At the point in the video corresponding to that photo (at 0:04, shortly after the guy releases her gloved hand) she still clearly isn't holding anything in it. I'm inclined to think that the last photo might be shopped, because not only should the bottle be visible in the video, the positions of her arms would be different if she was holding it. Of course, it's also possible that she got up again and tried attacking the guy with the bottle, but that still doesn't make much sense, since she seemed to turn the exact same way while falling in both cases.

It isn't shopped. You can tell because in the image she actually still has her hat on her head as she is pushed to the ground. This incident happened off camera from the webm that was posted; in other words, it happened earlier. The image was posted by reuters news agency (the one with her with the bottle visible in her hand). The antifa were throwing bottles, bricks and smoke bombs (one of which went off and the wind blew it back into themselves, kek)

you made me kek really fucking hard.

>This incident happened off camera from the webm that was posted; in other words, it happened earlier.
So the webm shows the SECOND time she was punched by that same guy?

>So the webm shows the SECOND time she was punched by that same guy?

How do you know she was punched twice? The picture only shows her being pushed. The guy pushed her to stop her throwing bottles. She gets into the fray again and she gets her ass put down. Is this so hard to comprehend? Do you understand how easy it is to fool people using the media? More at 11.

>How do you know she was punched twice? The picture only shows her being pushed. The guy pushed her to stop her throwing bottles.
Fair enough, I had assumed the image showed a punch, but looking at it again it's a bit less clear.

>She gets into the fray again and she gets her ass put down.
Seems a reasonable explanation.

>Do you understand how easy it is to fool people using the media?
Yes, which is why I was looking for contradictions in the first place. I'd be equally open to the possibility that the far-left had edited one of the images/clips to make her look like a victim, however the clip clearly shows her unarmed and it would be a lot harder to shop a bottle out of the clip than to shop one into the image.

>argc == argumentative cunt

>in the near future we'll have authoritarian islamism and all these women will be stoned to death

This.

This is what they deserve.

I've had two professors who chose/emphasized gender neutral language and they've contributed far more to computing than anybody here.
What's the big deal?

man, i want to try whatever drugs they're taking, that is making them believe they live in a world where others give two fucks about what you want

and i thought i had a sheltered childhood