github.com/pyllyukko/user.js
release.mozilla.org/firefox/release/2017/04/17/Dawn-Project-FAQ.html
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK/Guides/XUL_Migration_Guide
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There are people that don't use ESR?

I came here to post that

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.1.0esr/

What's the point? It's going to merge anyway sooner or later

it means you have to go through about:config and disable all of mozilla's stupid bullshit once a year instead of once every six weeks.

What did you have to disable recently?

>Still using Firefox
>2017

Nothing, since I use ESR. (Actually, Debian is still on 45.8) I also didn't have to investigate any broken addons. It's nice.

Neither did I, that's why I asked you. Well whatever

Alright, let's get this over with.

>New themes, a few gimmicks
Don't use, don't care.

>New permission control center
Chrome has had this for a long time.

>Windows 7+ users on 64-bit OS can select 32-bit or 64-bit versions in the stub installer
Why would you even want this? Sounds like a gimmick.

>Shortened titles on tabs are faded out instead of using ellipsis for improved readability
Just like in Chrome.

>Media playback on new tabs is blocked until the tab is visible
I think Chrome does this as well, although I'm not quite sure. Anyway, good.

>Support for WebM video with alpha, which allows playing videos with transparent backgrounds
Nice, didn't know WebM supported this.

Overall, a lot of gimmick, niche features, no real reason to update except if you actually use them. This is exactly why browsers like Chrome dominate the market: Chrome is just a browser, staying secure and supporting new features instead of adding gimmicks and autism.

but user, it does support new features

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Releases/53

I haven't checked the updates in ages. What's the difference between ESR and the normal release?
Still running FF 46 here.

Problem being that Chrome tattles to Google and there's nothing you can do to stop it. It also looks like Chrome and there's nothing you can do to change that.

Firefox is pretty shit these days but at least you can dig around in about:config and turn off the botnet and bullshit.
github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js

>Two new 'compact' themes available in Firefox, dark and light, based on the Firefox Developer Edition theme
I remember in 2013 when the Australis UI change was in progress and I was using firefox
I used to edit my XUL to get a dark compact theme and they broke that
They broke XUL and it took them 4 fucking years to achieve something we used to achieve by playing with XUL or downloading a XUL from github

I'm glad they finally did it but the whole thing is deplorable

Does anyone know if Firefox 53 adds back the ability to listen to youtube videos in the background? I had to switch to using newpipe to actually listen to music on youtube while my screen is turned off

I've had it for ages

t. nightly user since 2012

>user_pref("ghacks_user.js.parrot", "1200 syntax error: the parrot's a stiff!");

um, weird. I've been using a slightly modified version of this tho
github.com/pyllyukko/user.js

>Debian is still on 45.8
Lincuck repositories, everyone :)

Don't bother with retard like that, muh mozilla fuckery is more of a placebo than anything else.

yep, 45.8.0esr released 6th of March

it should update to 45.9.0esr soon

there's one of those in each section. The idea is if there's a syntax error in user.js, the browser just throws up its hands and stops parsing it. So having that pref in there lets you look at that setting in about:config, and if there was an error it'll tell you what section the error was in.

does it come with a forced subscription to lbgtqwtfbbq tumblr profiles finally?
Or is it still not diverse enough?

>Overall, a lot of gimmick, niche features, no real reason to update except if you actually use them. This is exactly why browsers like Chrome dominate the market: Chrome is just a browser, staying secure and supporting new features instead of adding gimmicks and autism.

And mining your data like no tomorrow.

I see, interesting.

why would there be any syntax erorrs in it though?

when is the photon update coming?

is this the update that kills most addons

>supporting globalism

I thought it was 56 or 57?

That stopping media playback was long overdue.

probably never.

ESR lets you stay on an older release but keep on receiving security updates. It's ideal if you don't want to upgrade.

When is nightly 56 coming out?
Can't find any 56 builds yet.

Better gay than jew.
t. cute programmer.

Great option. Just lose to Icecat.

this might interest you
release.mozilla.org/firefox/release/2017/04/17/Dawn-Project-FAQ.html

>On April 18th, Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly. This means Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly for two full cycles.

out of curiosity, by using nightly do you report bugs as well?

Thank you for the link. I wasn't aware they were phasing out dev edition.

>do you report bugs as well?
No. I just use ff nightly because it's faster than the other release channels, and isn't actually unstable either.

>report bugs
I used to, but my daily drive OS got the shaft from Mozilla, so I won't be doing that no more.

it worked when i tried last week

what os are you using user?

Because you're meant to look through all the stuff in that file and change any options you don't want. Some of the settings will break some sites.

One example. It looks like they changed this now, but the version I got a month or two ago had tls.version.min set to block TLS 1.0. (SSL3 is already blocked, I believe) Turns out I visited two sites regularly that wouldn't negotiate anything higher than that. One is since fixed, the other isn't.

templeOS

This is the final update for ESR 45

4 versions till XUL is gone

Good thing 52 ESR lasts till next year.

there's an about:config setting that fixes it.

no longer supports java

Is that a bad thing? Use ESR if you must.

>Windows XP and Vista are no longer supported. XP and Vista users running Firefox 52 will continue to receive security updates on Firefox ESR 52.

I guess by 57 they'll drop win7 and 8 as well, so the loss of XUL will be totally irrelevant.

They dropped them because they're not supported by microsoft, so no need to care about them.

Desktop version of ff has been shit for years it's good on Android tho

how the fuck do you load that the ghacks-use.js up? i've been looking for 10 minutes on how to install them

also, why not just use Pale Moon or Waterfox

WTF? I love FF now.

Just drop it into the root directory of your profile.

there is prefs.js in there

Yep, that's the right directory to put user.js in then.

User.js will write and override settings for prefs.js. It would be wise to backup that file.

ok, so what version of ESR do I download, 45 or 52?

>Not compiling Inox
What the fuck user.

Oh god my dick is hard now, thanks user.

Is this still made in China or did they bring it back to the US?

We have work computers still sitting on some old as fuck version cause we're not allowed to update.

>using firefox instead of waterfox
>using firefox instead of brave
kill yourself

Notify me when this thing is as stable as chrome and doesn't crash whenever it wants.

Consider yourself notified.

>it means you have to go through about:config and disable all of mozilla's stupid bullshit once a year instead of once every six weeks.
Which will be irrelevant for all branches of Firefox next year once WebExtensions is the only extension API on all branches.

Unless they plan to stop fucking with the UI, and adding anti-features like telemetry, pocket, safebrowsing, and so on, then no, there'll still be things you need to disable every version.

Even if you leave all that aside they're enthusiastic about implementing the latest features, lots of which are high-entropy fingerprinting vectors (canvas, webrtc, beacon...), those will need to be turned off.

>The last few characters of shortened tab titles fade out instead of being replaced by ellipses to keep more of the title visible
Good. That has been something that has been bothering me.
With all of my Sup Forums threads in their own tabs, I only see "(1) Sup Forums - thre...", which often isn't enough to identify the thread properly.

Someone (probably an MSFN user) will have a kernel level compatibility pack out for XP within the next year or so.

Literally no good alternative

>Unless they plan to stop fucking with the UI, and adding anti-features like telemetry, pocket, safebrowsing, and so on, then no, there'll still be things you need to disable every version.
You don't seem to understand the implications of WebExtensions being the only extension API.

How's the memory usage?

How does that affect anything I mentioned?

You won't be able to turn any of it off.

All of that stuff gets turned off through about:config. Not through addons.

>Chrome is just a browser, staying secure and supporting new features instead of adding gimmicks and autism.

It's got even more gimmicks and autism than Firefox. Enjoy your google tracking design.

The fuck, you can't listen to YT videos in the background anymore?
Now I'm really glad I haven't updated FF in ages.

It's actually the opposite.

>using meme browsers

faggot

How many weeks until addons are fucked?

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK/Guides/XUL_Migration_Guide

>From Firefox 57 onwards, WebExtensions will be the only supported extension type, and Firefox will not load other types.

Firefox 57 release date being 2017-08-07, I'd say about ~3.5months (15-ish weeks)

then will firefox finally be dead? or will there still be shills defending it

Fucking piece of shit detected that I was on an outdated version and 'updated' back to the 42 official build. Fuck cuckzilla. Made me disable the Ethernet to turn off the automatic update.

nah

atleast it's not shooting to 50% CPU with 1.5GB RAM with one empty tab open for an hour or until I close it.

This never happens to me. I have only seen high CPU if I go to a site with a ton of video embeds and it doesn't go over 50%

Firefox today:
>We'll build a browse just as good as chrome is right now.
Meanwhile chrome gets better and firefox is always behind.

Used to happen in the 40 something versions

Still didn't see it then. I use Firefox pretty normally, though. I only open like 15 tabs max with 8 extensions loaded and close the browser completely when I'm done.

>arch still on 52.0
>muh bleeding edge

so will servo be worth all the pain lads?

by the time servo lands, it'll be obsolete

don't, i can't take that now.

thisAnd when servo lands you won't be able to use most addons.

how long before firefox is too sexist and they rebrand to firevulpine

Does anyone mind posting an screenshoot of how this looks? Can't have access to desktop atm

Mozilla keeps your about:config entries between updates. Wtf are you on about

Did you just assumed Fox gender?

> Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and AMD Opteron

REEEEEEEEE

how this is a bad thing?

Seems like it would be easier to compile firefox for windows XP than to make a new kernel for firefox