What the RX 580 does prove, beyond any shadow of a doubt...

>What the RX 580 does prove, beyond any shadow of a doubt, is that the GCN architecture in its various incarnations from 1.0 – 1.4 is tapped out. Polaris got a kick from a new process node and better clock scaling, but AMD is slamming into the same problem they had with GCN at 28nm: This GPU is not designed to hit high clock speeds, and it can’t do so without blowing out the power consumption improvements that the RX 480 delivered almost a year ago.

AYYMD REBRANDEON HOUSEFIRES

Other urls found in this thread:

plattsburgh.craigslist.org/sop/6062967476.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Aaaaaand that's fucking why they are making GCN 2.0.

>For this test, we measure power consumption of only the graphics card via the PCI-Express power connector(s) and PCI-Express bus slot. A Keithley Integra 2700 digital multimeter with 6.5-digit resolution is used for all measurements. Again, these values only reflect the card's power consumption as measured at its DC inputs, not that of the whole system.

Who gives a shit about power consumption dumb nvidiot

> all those Intel shills on damage control

I'm still rocking a 290x. Same perf as the 480 and now nearly the 580. So it uses more electricity so what. This is embarrassing for AMD but what's worse us there isn't any other competition. Nvidia can sell the 1080 ti for 800 euro and have the media tell us its good value because it's not 1100 euro like last year's titan.

wait® for Vega

Mobile market (laptops) > desktop market.

This time last year it was "wait for polaris". What a fucking let down.

vega should come out in june. so nvidia will have nothing to position against vega until spring 2018? (when volta comes out)

>hear rumors about a 480 refresh
>get excited, imagine something with slightly better performance but cheaper and with less power draw
>make plans to buy one to upgrade from my GTX 760
>wake up this morning
>the motherfucker draws more power than a GTX 1080ti
>only very slightly better performance

Is AMD even trying?

d-don't worry
wait for v-vega

Polaris was good though. The 480 and 470 brought 1440p gaming under $200 and the 470 was notable for being the first GPU to run modern games on ultra at 1080p. There was no top end chip, and AMD strangely refused to make a 480x2, but for the mid-end Polaris was really great. Your 290X might match a 480, but you sure as fuck couldn't buy one new for $200.

not the original guy but I'm crossfiring 290xs (one that I got back in the day and one bought for 100£ on ebay) for 1070 performance.

suck my dick guys

>tapped out

lol

This is what I wanted.

Why is it so damn hard for manufacturers to realise that consumers don't want massive max fps if it means throttling and pathetic minimums.

Give me a 580 with the same stock clocks as the 480 but a bigger boost and I would have been happy to buy it. For 1080 gaming the 480 fps was fine, it just needed better boost for higher minimums.

Annoying thing is I need a graphics card now as my GTX 660 crapped out on me.

Anyone know if it is possible to underclock/volt these cards to 480 stock clocks and give them a massive boost for targeted fps?

>summer 2015
>buy a r9 290/390
>would have need to wait 2 more years
>mfw I haven't played anything that would need hawaii power besides Ark and dirt rally.
It think I'm just going to sit on my GPU for a decade and play Cs:Go or something.

or wait for new consoles, the next unreal engine or crysis

Still rocking gtx560 maxing competetive fpseseses
at 300fps

I wish they would rrelease vega price,so i would know if to buy 480 or wait.

Wasn't the point of the 480 to be a 390 with half power consumption? Did they just give up?

Still glad I fell for the 4GB HBM meme, I'm not even mad it dropped $100 after I bought it. I was gonna 480 it up until they fucked up the launch, too.

yeah but AMD halves =/= Nvidia halves

It's stupid to only measure the GPU when Nvidia drivers have far more CPU overhead thus use up more total system power via more CPU work.
Bias as fuck test.

The RX580s outperforms the 390Xs by quite a bit. Its perf/watt is still higher.
Not a huge amount, but it's certainly not worse.
A good deal of the power consumption is that 8GB of GDDR5.

They've had to clock them too high to compete. It was made to be clocked around 950mhz. Had to bump that up to 1266mhz for the RX480. And now they're at 1340-1450mhz.
The process node was made more efficient, but they're clocked way higher than their point of efficiency. They should have done more CUs at lower clocks, but that costs way more money.

Literally what the fuck are they doing? the 400/500 series has been nothing but sidegrades to the 200/300's

>7970
>290
>390
''''revolutionary'''' new architechture
>480
>580

holy shit get your shit together amd

This. They should have just made a 8GB Fury ffs

And the fanbois will still claim it's better than nvidia's practices.

Literally selling you the same graphics cards for 3 generations now.

It's okay as long as it dwarfs the competition in the same price bracket, and 580 does..

>AMD doesn't make new cards
>Nvidia cucks early adopters that buy their flagships
Not sure which is worse. My Fury depreciated $50 a week after I bought it and it's down $100 by now but I consider that I got off easy compared to the rest of the shit I'm seeing.

No it's not since nvidia is selling better in the same price bracket

Uh? The 290X was not a rebrand. It's the 280X that was the 7970.

They ran out of R&D budget.
It was supposed to be on a smaller node and a number of things.

The 290X 4GB was like $850 initially. I forget what the MSRP was, but it was high as well.
RX580 8GB is $230 and beats its more expensive competition, the $260 1060 6GB.

>The RX580s outperforms the 390Xs by quite a bit.

stop making shit up

>it's a gpu episode

i am only here to piss anyone off

For amd drones 5% is a huge margin

The goyim will buy literal shit with nvidia stickers plastered over it, I'm talking about actual performance.

Okay, it's slightly ahead, you're right.

AMD drones do buy cheap shit with an AMD sticker on it though

That doesn't surprise me, and they will continue to do so. The 500 rebrands use more power than the 400's, which was really one of their only selling points despite being still higher than Nvidia's.

It makes it hard to keep rooting for the underdog.

>$850 for the 290X
That just seems fucking retarded to me. Granted, I didn't even get into trying to build a /gaymen/ until last year. Wow. What a time to be alive.

Anyone know if the 4GB can be flashed to 8GB like some of the first 400's?

Do you get paid for defending Nvidia on the internet? Why'd you do it for free?

Look at yourself, I would ask the same from you but I realize AMD can't afford shills

I got an R9 390 ages ago and AMD is still releasing shit of similar caliber as their latest and greatest, I upgraded to Nvidia just because AMD is fucking incompetent and can't release anything powerful

>can't release anything powerful
Any major arch change takes time.

Poolaris was a new amazing arch according to AMD

>just wait

You fucking retard, Nvidia is ten steps ahead

I shill for no one, I support consumer friendly business practices and products with the best price/performance ratio, simple as that.

It was a cutdown Fiji with some optimizations. It's like you can't read roadmaps, Ramesh.

You're poor and you're in the market for poorfag GPUs, not some price to performance shit

>paying less for more is bad
Why?

My income has nothing to do with 580's performance.

Because it's a weak poorfag GPU

I paid more for even more instead

>midrange card is midrange and offers good value
Do you have spending less for more? Are you braindamaged?

>That just seems fucking retarded to me. Granted, I didn't even get into trying to build a /gaymen/ until last year. Wow. What a time to be alive.
You need to think about it more.

In 2013 AMD released a card that still plays almost every game 4 years later at 1440p 60fps, max settings, let alone 1080p.

The Nvidia Titan (Keplar?) of the time, a $1200 card, is not as good as it was. It's only half as good in many cases.
That card was godly.
It was also godly at mining bitcoins.

And it's so good that well.. they only had to slightly adjust it and shrink it down to still be a great mainstream $250 card today.
And this is why people get so excited about Vega.

Good for you little goy. Why'd you barge in a 580 thread to express dissatisfaction though?

I came to your safe space and told AMD should get their shit together because they should get their shit together, they have no high end GPUs at all

They have. Vega 10 is their high end offering. You can even buy one. Though you can't play games on MI25 but it's no Sup Forums, who the fuck plays games here?

>AMD can't afford shills
Boi u got tears streaming down my face like I'm back on the old Sup Forums
>tfw I can't find my gif of that nodding lumberjack with an explosion shooped behind him

even amdshilltv adoredtv shits on this fuck off with your imaginary shit

I have plenty of money. About $30k in the bank right now. Not a ton, but you know enough to be comfortable and to be able to buy just about anything but an expensive car on a whim if I feel like it.

I don't see the point in overpaying for a GPU. I bought a 7970 6 years ago for like $530.
If it plays everything at least 30fps, why do I care to keep buying the latest Nvidia shit because they have planned obsolescence built into their older cards?

I'm waiting to buy a $1500 monitor with HDR10 before I upgrade, really. No point in buying a 1080Ti that might not support the monitor. Vega is already confirmed to support it, along with Polaris.

>imaginary
MI25 is as real as it gets. It's a 12.5tflops FP32 card.

>who plays games here
memes aside, everyone in this thread

Really?

tfw haven't played a game in months

Yes, what do you do with your GPU, what do you think others do? Because mining and folding sure as fuck isn't it

This guy gets it, saving up to bust a big nut.

Actually yeah that seems like a sick fucking card, I didn't realize it was THAT close to a non-X Fury.
Some dude by me is actually selling a 280 for $80 lol. I would have just jumped on that and built a budget system around it if this happened last year.

He's got the serial # in a picture, can anybody really do much with one?
plattsburgh.craigslist.org/sop/6062967476.html

my dick is pretty flaccid

Good to know. Maybe you should consider suicide.

No man I'm good the cure was ditching AMD

Because everyone else values fps

You ditched ayymd for what? Nodrivers?

$65-$85 is the going rate for 280 or 280Xs.
Still a good performing card today. Literally the only drawback is power consumption and heat.

Most people are retarded and don't realize their monitor is 60hz and that 150fps doesn't matter for them.

Yeah because the best of the best from AMD wasn't good enough and even now still isn't, also I wanted to play around sith cuda

Yeah those people buy amd

For the longest time where was some poor guy trying to sell like a 750Ti for $75- months and months. I figure he either sold it or killed himself.

I had the budget for a GTX 1080 but I will never buy nVidia again due to thier jewish tactics. Gimping cards with driver updates, promising features for old cards then back tracking on it, charging money for something AMD has for free, closed source etc.. That's why I will only buy AMD from now on.

I only care about performance so I went with Nvidia

My monitor is 165hz tho

Good for you. Most people still use 60hz monitors.

Most popular GPU on Steam is the GTX 970. A gimped card that completely falls on its ass in some newer games because of that slow last 0.5GB of VRAM.
Nvidia rips off suckers. That's their business model. It's the 770 all over again.

>what is "most"

rofl god.. people bought so many of those shit cards. They can't even do 5FPS on a lot of newer games.

>beyond any shadow of pajeet
>various incarnations

Yeah I have been actually getting mad seeing retards charging close to what they paid for some of their old but still viable systems.
It's even worse when they list it as a 'gaming pc' and don't have a single fucking spec, leading me to believe they're actually that retarded or just junkies/niggers stealing.

I still saw fuckers trying to sell 970s for $175-$200 last month.

You're retarded you know that?

>if it is possible to underclock/volt these cards to 480 stock clocks and give them a massive boost
>underclock/volt
>give them a massive boost

All 'boost' means is running the core at a higher frequency on a period of time.

And someone, someone will unironically buy these 3.5 memes.

There has to be an angle to fuck these cunts. Maybe send them on wild-goose chases? I was thinking about just getting a shit old GPU and then a new one from a crap store like best buy, switch them out and carefully re-tape the box and return. Salespeople are shit and are asking for it. Especially the Chad types. ree

Yea that's what I want so I can hit 480 level fps with the avg and minimum fps as close as possible.

Playing GTAV on my now dead gtx660 on low settings was nauseating with the massive dips in certain areas.

I will take a stable 60fps over 80+fps with massive dips when the cards boost is forced to throttle because it's stock clock is already running right up to the red line.

You really are retarded, wow.
If you don't want throttling just get a GPU with a decent cooler like the Nitro+ and do not overclock it.

You know.
AMD basically repeated that 4870 strategy with the RX480.
Back way back then, in 2008 I believe it was, they launched that card at... $299?
The 4850 was only $199.

It wasn't the absolute fastest card in every game, but he GTX 280 cost $650.
It was a $200 card that often nearly matched a $650 card.
And was more power efficient and so on.

But people still thought that AMD had bad drivers. So many Nvidia fanboys. The RX480 didn't sell nearly as well as AMD hoped.

And then 5000 series came and raped novidia. But well, Fermi was a gigantic fuckup.

Seems like people bought tons of 200, 300, 400, and 500 series, though.

Though if you check steam charts, there's many more people with a 7950/7970 than 680+780 combined, despite Nvidia having sold more of those at the time.
What I don't get is how those buyers don't learn. How can AMD keep making a superior value GPU, with superior longevity, if people buy less of them?

Mindshare. Historically NVIDIA had better marrketing.

I'm pretty sure you can't actually buy a MI25 yet, they announced it way in advance, like nVidia did with GP100.

They still suffer from low minimum's regardless.

What I want is base clock at around 1100 with 300+ of boost when needed to keep stable fps. Would underclocking/volting keep boost or would it remove all boost and set the knew clocks as maximum?

They did (back in december), but you can actually get one already.

Oh right. Yeah. AMD's marketing is fucking garbage.

Lmao I can still remember that "Nvidia" "the way it's meant to be played" plash logo shit playing in that sexy ass ASMR voice.

You can if you have millions of dollars. They've been getting sold in huge contracts. You'll see the orders on the financial report next month.
Here, AMD is actually doing amazing. They're gobbling up so much server market with Naples and Vega before they actually exist outside of engineering samples afaik.

A lot of the delay in Vega has to do with those millions of dollars of contracts to fill before selling them to consumers.
That, and that they need more mature drivers for consumers than just a few submissions to the Linux kernel.

It seems to be, by far, the best machine learning card unless Google's homebrew chip is actually better, but I'm not sure if Google sells those to others.

Well, it was garbage. It's pretty decent now, yet nothing special. And now we're at the point NVIDIA can sell polished shit with stickers plastered all over it and people will buy it. Because it's NVIDIA.

The 4870 was amazing value, it was close to 280 levels of performance for less than half the price, it absolutely killed the 260 as well. Whereas the 480 doesn't even come close to the 1080, let alone the 1080ti, on top of that the 1060 offers comparable performance to the 480 for the same price. They tried the same strategy, yes, but they failed pretty badly.

480 is smaller for though. Its still very competitive in its price segment.