/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-6700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 , RX480, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>470 is usually all you need for 1080p. Look for them on sale ~$130 or less.
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Save money w/ mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZsaavKNR8
youtube.com/watch?v=hTnFKwK_DaQ
pcpartpicker.com
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101473&cm_sp=Homepage_FDD-_-P1_83-101-473-_-04182017
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820215017
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4kRZD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/XVVppb
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-XFX-Radeon-RX-480-GTR-Black-Edition-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1116188.html
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-Sapphire-Radeon-RX-580-Nitro--Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1167547.html
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-XFX-Radeon-RX-580-GTR-S-Black-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1167749.html
legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-undervolting-performance_183699
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Recommend a rx470 for 1080p
>OP image shows it doesn't maintain even close to 60fps in some current games
y u do dis?

I'm new to PC building. I want a budget-friendly rig that can easily handle ultra settings on 1080p and high setttings 1440p. I game and also edit videos and use DAWs for music production. Any areas i can improve or cut prices?

There's a limit of text in the OP. But it's implied that you should play at max/ultra to save a ton of money.

Most games now days don't look any better on ultra/max than they look on high or very high. All those settings often do is make benchmarks worse to sell overpriced cards.
youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZsaavKNR8 is a fantastic video on that fact.

youtube.com/watch?v=hTnFKwK_DaQ
Here is Digital Foundry's RX580 review for those interested, too.
Currently it seems that there is some driver/BIOS shit creating at a wall at like 1480MHz.

You need dual channel memory. Like 2x4GB. It's a free 5-20% performance improvement.
You probably want 2x8GB since you're doing video editing, really.

Anyone have tips for a PC needed mostly for home music production? So far it seems like a good CPU and as much ram as possible is what's needed.

What is the best model of RX 580s to get? Currently deciding between the Gigabyte Aorus one and the Sapphire Pulse one.

updated text

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-6700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 , RX580/570, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060's are obsolete. Choose RX500 over 400s if budget allows, sligtly more but better price/performance.
>470 is all you need for 1080p
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>Vega comes in May

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Save money w/ mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

>So far it seems like a good CPU and as much ram as possible is what's needed.
Yes. And a DAC.

If you search on youtube like FL Studio or whatever CPU tests or ryzen test, I'm sure there's some good results as I've seen a good one on there before.

What are the prices?
The Aorus and Red Devil Golden Sample seem like the best value for high OC ones.
The Gigabyte non-OC one seems like the best value at $230 for an 8GB RX580 but I think the XFX GTR RX480 is probably roughly equal to it and you could find those for $210 on sale.

Oh oops, I missed that. The OP attached image probably makes things more clear, at least.
I'd say the 1060 still has a place because overclocked it's better in like Overwatch for those that have a 144hz monitor idk. it's iffy. I don't want to simply say it's obsolete.

>Justifying not running at ultra settings.
It must be awful to be this poor. Keep telling yourself you can't tell the difference, user.

>What are the prices?
The Gigabyte Aorus is $260 while the Sapphire Pulse is $230. There is also the Sapphire Nitro+ which is $260 but is currently only available via back orders.

My current PC is an i5 2500k @ 4.7 GHz, 16 GB ddr3, gtx 780. Should I upgrade? I have £600 I can spend

I think you'd be better off waiting to see if the XFX GTR drops on sale again than getting one of the lower RX580s.
The XFX GTR RX480 seems to have roughly similar die quality to the lower model RX580s.

The best RX580 of them appears to be the Red Devil GS. Won't really know without seeing one reviewer tests many all with the same methodology, to see how their watts per frame compares, OC headroom, etc.

I'd keep your GPU for now and get a 1500X/1600/1600X. That should run you around 350-450 euro.

>DAW
Sorry if its off topic but I was hoping there's ways round that without ((paying)) as I'm low budget, not sure if it causes issues later on though

I meant DAC.
You can get a DAC for $30.

>driving home today and brakes make weird noise
>1100 in repairs
FUCK THERE GOES MY FUN MONEY ON A NEW PC SHIT

We also haven't seen the XFX GTR-S yet.
Considering the GTS Black seems to be the same or marginally better than the RX480 GTR, the GTR-S should be better.
But the RX480 GTR goes on sale for $210 or less, so much cheaper for only marginally worse performance.

>But the RX480 GTR goes on sale for $210 or less
When the fuck does this happen for you guys? I live in the US and the GTR never goes on sale for that low.

Anyone have that picture with all the parts at different price ranges?

I hate Novidia. However the games I play 95% of the time are Blizzard, and novidia has a clear advantage there. Like 15-20%, even 30% better in a WoW benchmark Vs the 480. 1060s are not completely obsolete as they have their niche uses and in my case, they excel at that.

found on /r/buildapcsales:
>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101473&cm_sp=Homepage_FDD-_-P1_83-101-473-_-04182017
>Prebuilt with an i7-6700 (non-k), RX480, and Win10 for $670.
No SSD, but not a bad deal.

It was that price like 2 or 3 days ago, and a few weeks ago.

Yeah, that's what I was saying to that person. RX470/580 is the default recommendation, but for some people Nvidia may be better.
But hell for WoW.. you're going to get 120fps fine. Hardly matters at that point.

logicalincrements? It's pretty garbage. Use parametric filters on pcpartpicker instead.

It's never gone below $240 on Newegg.

Another from /r/buildapcsales

www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-24-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor/5770302.p?skuId=5770302
>24" IPS LED backlit
>1080p 75hz Freesync
>5ms response time
>$160

It was $210 after MIR on Amazon, iirc. Some people a few threads ago mentioned getting it for that. Or maybe it was with Doom that they sold for $15.
I don't know how you can so confidently say it was never lower.
Almost every day there is an 8GB RX480 for $190-$210 on Newegg and/or Amazon, it's just a question of which one.

512GB ADATA SU800 SSD.
$136.30 with code EMCREBJ27
Cheaper if you already got discounted giftcards.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820215017
Really good SSD. About as fast as the 850 in most cases.

Same one is about $120 on Jet but plus sales tax for some.

For 1080p games, is 8GB of ram enough or do I need 16? Not too sure how much ram most games use but I hear like Tomb Raider goes over 8, though I don't need to play on ultra if that makes a difference. Just wondering if I can watch a movie or something on another monitor while I play some games or if I won't have enough ram at 8GB. And is 4GB of Vram enough for most games on high settings at 1080p?

What CPU should I use for a $500 build that needs the best single core performance possible?
No games, only needs 120GB SSD.

>multi-tasking
Get 16GB. RAM is cheap nowadays anyway.

read the op faggot

The suggestions are unironically shit.

These generals need a new OP

i3-7350k is the best single core performance for the money.
G4560 is significantly lower performance, but much cheaper.

As the OP says, 470 4GB is all you need for 1080p. And you can find those for $110-$130 depending on the sale going on on any given day, usually.
Might want to get the 570 4GB instead. That's about 11% better but they're at $170 from what I can see.
For RAM... some games are using over 6GB now days.

You might have to turn texture resolution down a bit on a few games, as the max texture resolution settings on games now days is generally made for 4K.

Problem is it doesn't fit. Like the i3 for emulators and dwarf fortress had to be taken out for other shit.

Someone needs to make a decent one page concise thing that goes over the shit like what to get for what and how to spot motherboard VRMs and other shit for how to pick out a motherboard.

>RAM is cheap nowadays anyway.

I thought it was getting more expensive. I'm not 100% sure what my needs are quite yet but I was wondering if I could save $50-60 by going for 8GB instead of 16 or just do it and be comfortable knowing I won't hit the limit.

I've never owned anything 1080p or been able to play intensive games on any computer I've owned so I'm not sure the kind of impact that lowering some settings have on saving it. I wouldn't mind going down to medium if it saved a GB or two. I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway. Would that make 8GB enough?

>brakes make weird noise
>$1,100 in repairs

What fucking repair shop is raping you over the counters and all the way home?

Go to RockAuto~com, get your rotors and pads, and fix it yourself for ±$200.

Shits easy.
Look up a youtube video on how to change the parts if it confuses you.

I could easily use up 2000 characters each for motherboard, CPU & RAM, and graphics card.
That's the problem.

It should say shit like how the RX580 8GB or the 1060 6GB with a 2100MHz core and a memory overclock are all you need for 1440p.
And then how to tell people how to look at reviews to find said 1060 that can OC like that. How to replace GPU heatsink, how to overclock..
How to look and see if they play games that might make the 1060 better for them instead of the RX480.
That's just one subject that's easily the whole 2000 character post limit.

If someone wants to make a page (someone started one before that was decent but needed work, with edited images and blah blah going over each component and wire etc), I can contribute knowledge to it but I can't be bothered to do the grunt work.

Settings don't affect RAM usage much. Just shitty programming does.

The brakes ripped themsevles apart or some shit I dont know. it wasn't a simple pad replacement

I guess I'm still thinking of last year's prices when DDR4 RAM was pretty fucking cheap.
Since you're playing games you'll probably be on windows 10. Save yourself a headache and get 16GB as a safeguard against potential bloated requirements.

>I could easily use up 2000 characters each for motherboard, CPU & RAM, and graphics card.
>That's the problem.
How about when you hover over a part in the list a short tooltip with the part's most impressive feature shows up? inb4 "doesn't blow up past 100C"

Alright thanks. 16GB it is then

Unless they're replacing the whole drive train, that's extremely overpriced. My cousin overhauled his trucks entire front end for that much.
Axel joints, hubs, rotors, pads, calipers, ball joins, and shock spring kit, all for ±$800.

I dont know I wasn't concerned about it as long as I dont crash because the brakes are fucked

So I'm new to building a PC, I went through the pcpartpicker, and I just threw something together real quick. I'm looking for it to run art programs, but also have decent gaming performance as well. I don't mind not having the best settings for gaming, as I am a console shitter as of now. I already have monitors, tablet, and everything else, I'm not too picky. Budget is 400-600. Could I get better or equal performance for less?

>unlocked i3
Wow, since when?
Guess I'll get that then.

Someone is trying to convince me that windows 10 is obligatory because of direct X 12

Do I have to join the botnet for that shit??!?!?!?

a 1500 or a 1600 would be better
the fan on the hyper 212 sucks
get a Cryorig H7
avoid seagate HDDs
Get an RX 470

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4kRZD8

Purpose: General Gaming and Browsing, nothing High End but would like to not be on the crap-end of the stick

Budget: Around what's in the Link, 900-1000 total budget

Note: I am Canadian and have to work with our Crappy dollar

>Wow, since when?
Since Intel panicked when AMD carpetbombed the market with Ryzen. It's amazing what a little competition can do, pentiums with hyperthreading too.

With hyperthreading, too. Came out earlier this year I think.

Just use Linux, run Windows through KVM and GPU passthrough when you have to play DX12.

get the Fractal Design Define S, 89.99 for roomy building
CRYORIG H7, 46.99 and isn't a bitch to install

Don't know a whole lot about M.2 stuff but is Crucial good quality or should I go with the Samsung SSD?

MX300 is 3D NAND but TLC garbage, it's only worth is as a budget ssd with a good controller
if the SATA version is cheaper get those instead
i'm using one for my OS

Whats the best manufacturer for 580?

MX300 is 95-98% the same speed and also reliable.

dx12 is windows 10 only, no one has backported it to lower versions of windows because it's proprietary
on the bright side Vulkan is across all OS versions so long as the GPU supports Vulkan

surprisingly enough it's the fucking crazy faggots over at Powercolor+ with their devil shit, there's a golden sample that reaches 1500Mhz clock

The SATA one $5 more which is also $5 less than the Samsung. So either one would be 35GB more for cheaper and nearly the same speed/quality?

M.2 is faster than SATA
go ahead and buy it

We're not 100% sure yet.
The Red Devil GS definitely looks good.
The top end Sapphire also looks good.
Gigabyte's look good this time around and they seem priced the lowest of the good ones.
MSI fans are way too loud.
Still have not seen the XFX GTR-S but this XFX GTS 580 looks near identical to the XFX GTR 480.

Also haven't really gotten any detail on what's limiting the overclock, yet. The GPU itself should be able to handle over 1500MHz, and the PCBs are better. But they're still good simply at 1450-1500.

Yes

What is the 1500/1600 in reference to?

>M.2 is faster than SATA
M.2 SATA is still SATA. Stop spreading misinformation.

Ryzen 5 models.

>finally dived
>msi rx 580 8 gigs
>post-purchase emotional distress setting in
Just tell me why this purchase was bad. I don't give a shit about the good. My beast engorges on the desire to bathe myself in this dispair.

i hope you're not married
you're a potential cuck

I think I'm just going to grab the $260 Gigabyte one off NewEgg since it has free shipping

But I'm already stressed as hell just add the thing to cart

If you can stretch your budget a little bit this will give you massively better performance.

Build me something with $850 burger money

ASRock Fatal1ty b350 or Gigabyte ab350 Gaming 3?

what game are you going to play to break it in

ASRock AB350 Pro4

[spoiler]Andromeda[/spoiler]

The Fractal Design Define S doesn't work because of the lack of DVD Player. Any other recommendations?

MSI's RX580 seems to be the worst one.
Loud ass fan.

Too much money for an RX470.

pcpartpicker.com/list/XVVppb
$692

Whichever you like more.

XFX GTR RX 480 or Sapphire RX 480?

>Fatal1ty
How are they still using this guy's name on their gaymur shit? Do people even know who he is/was these days?

Which GPU should i buy?
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-XFX-Radeon-RX-480-GTR-Black-Edition-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1116188.html
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-Sapphire-Radeon-RX-580-Nitro--Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1167547.html
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-XFX-Radeon-RX-580-GTR-S-Black-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1167749.html

Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor or RYzen 5. What's the difference and everything?

Seriously..?
The Ryzen 5 is just plain better. That's the difference.

One is outdated shit, the other is a Ryzen. h2h senpai.

Does anyone have any good CPU suggestions if I'm not looking to overclock anything? For basic gaming, not like 1440p and shit.

>Does anyone have any good CPU suggestions if I'm not looking to overclock anything? For basic gaming
1500x, 1600x, or 7700.

Fractal Design Core 2300 or Corsair 300R

>mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-Sapphire-Radeon-RX-580-Nitro--Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1167547.html
This one. The most quiet of the bunch.

They're all the same price where I'm at.

1600X. But you really should man up and OC a 1600, Nancy.

>Loud ass fan.
Well maybe that won't be so bad. I already have a fan running all the time in my room and wear headphones 95% of the time.

Got a source for this info?

>This one. The most quiet of the bunch.
Cool, quiet and high clock, but also inefficient as shit and 235W TDP. Maybe undervolting will help?

undervolting the rx480 helped, performance even increased

Do you think i can get that card down to not completely retarded power draw?

It's the same exact fan used on lower TDP cards.
You could probably undervolt it and still stay stable at those higher clocks, though.
Or if you're on a 60hz monitor, just use vsync and that'll help.

But for a further source, DigitalFoundry's youtube video. The MSI was just louder and slower.

Yes. It's a process that's more efficient than the RX480s used. They're just too overclocked.
Undervolt and put it to the same 1266Mhz and it'll use significantly less power.

only if you're autistic enough to find that knife edge of stability that comes with undervolting
enjoy this article
legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-undervolting-performance_183699

>When running the AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB reference card at default settings (1136mV) we had an overall score of 67.25 FPS when we averaged our runs together with the built-in DX12 benchmark for Rise of The Tomb Raider. When we repeated the test we found that our performance and undervolted Power State 6 and Power State 7 to 1050MV we found that the performance went up! We went from 67.25 FPS to 69.59 FPS. This 3.5% performance gain isn’t massive by any means, but we were able to get a measurable difference in performance and that is exciting.

Maybe i just get a 1060, it's actually cheaper and performs better than this shitty rebrand. Near 300W TDP for a midrange GPU my ass.

Is there any reason to get the R5 1500X over the 1400?

Can't I just overclock the 1400 to get the same clock speed?

L3 cache size
16MB vs 8MB can make a pretty big difference

1400s are from a shitty bin. Lots of people having trouble getting RAM faster than 2666 running on them.
1500X is worth the 20bux. I'd only get a 1400 if it was way cheaper.

220w is not "near 300".
The 1060s perf/watt is definitely better, but the RX580 outperforms it on average and especially with most newer games.

Good enough for 580?

Does Windows benefit from a fresh install every so many number of years? I'm not the brightest, but I am reasonably confident I haven't gotten any malware/other shit on my computer. It's basically been a TF2 machine for the past 3 years.

Is a re-installation worth the trouble?

depends on the monitor
it would drive 1080@60 just fine I'm sure

Yep, it does. That's Windows for you.

4c/4t stutters pretty bad on some games from the past few years even at 5ghz.
You won't get a stable 60 minimum on everything.
Maybe get a 3770k and sell your 3570k?

>finally graduating uni this semester after 4 years of being poorfag college kid
>my current pc I built in 2011
thinking of finally upgrading, most likely mid-late summer. would a (used) 1080 and a 1600x work well together?

I know and i really, really want a XFX 480/580 GTR or Sapphire 580, but imho 6+8pin is just mental and i don't really want to support this insanity.
One of the reasons i chose Ryzen ovef Intel is it's efficiency, which will go out the window with such a GPU.

Just bought pic related, how'd I do

Also, fuck me for not taking tax and some other shit into consideration

also, >tfw no windows 10 yet