/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked, unless the recommendation being given is HD800's as they are the best headphones ever and can be subject to no criticism.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/content/zmf-eikon-sealed-around-ear-headphones-measurements
jauce.com/auction/d227559100
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2017/02/sony-mdr-z1r-over-ear-headphones.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

anime of course

What do people consider to be the closed equivalent of the HD650?

Anime!

I honestly don't care as long as the headphones aren't Beats or those stupid cat ears.

I don't see headphones on those sluts.

innerfidelity.com/content/zmf-eikon-sealed-around-ear-headphones-measurements

Crap measurements from one of those "artisanal" cottage-industry retards with no formal training whose shit gets lapped up audiophools on Reddit, HF and SBAF.

Spot on. I'm glad those shitty headphones have finally been exposed.

Anime, i'm not even crazy for anime actually, but after years of anime + headphones i'm kindda used to it, i maybe it's just me, but i can remeber a bunch of these anime + headphone pics from Op, but the only ones without anime i remeber are shitposting ones.

Anime website.

Someone explain the rational of hi fi bass heavy headphones? The best bass heavy music was mastered in garbage quality and still is. It doesn't require high clarity $300+ headphones and ideally should be played from a high quality home speaker system or car speakers.

Any tips to make the 668b's more comfortable?

I've already got some new velour pads which definitely help, and I've been stretching them over an acoustic guitar to loosen the clamp.
The wings are still pressing down and causing down discomfort, despite my efforts to stretch them as well.

Also, my head is basically touching the metal bar. Am I doomed to not get along with these comfort wise?

It'd be a shame as I'm pretty happy with the sound.

Fuck anime

McGuyver the fuck out of the headband and bars. Throw on some foam and fabric on that bitch.

Could I simply remove the wings and put some kind of padded wrap around the metal bars?

I've seen the cloth wraps they sell, not sure if one would have sufficient padding to be comfy.

Bass heavy headphones are bass heavy on any music you listen through them, it doesn't necessarilly has to do with genre or how a song was produced.
For some reason a dude wants lots of bass on his rap/metal/classic/throat singing? Bass Heavy headphones are one way of doing the trick.

You can probably kill the wings if you wanted. I'm not sure if it'll kill the wiring or not

Which superlux model will let me steal her look?

681F or 681B

There will always be imbeciles who get fuzzy feelings from the romanticised image of an enthusiast "like them" moving on to make headphones, ignoring the research and engineering challenges that favour advanced mass manufacturing.

Hey /hpg/, anyone have any recommendations for the best wireless earphones

Are there any good headphones with a detatchable 3.5mm that wont rape my wallet? I'm really sick with how shitty and fragile headphones are. I've been through so many broken pairs. I go cheap because im not too concerned about quality and those break. Then I spend $200+ on a pair and they break in a week, How does Sup Forums deal with this shit?

What $200 pair broke in a week?

Cheapest I can think of is the Monoprice 8323. You can also look at various Superlux models like the 668B/669/662 EVO, SHP9500, Status CB-1/Somic MM185, NVX XPT100/HM5's. All of these are under $100

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X

I bought them a few years ago when the price was higher. I must be really unlucky with headphones.

Detachable cables are like one of the easiest mods you can do

Can't go wrong with AKGs

A bugdget would help a lot, headphones such as the V-Moda M100 or the Beyer Custom Pro are pretty sturdy, but might be expensive depending on how much you want to spend.

>tfw no beyer or senn JAVs

Anyone play with the V-MODA Crossfade 2 yet? Does the VAMP make a difference?

what does /hpg/ think of the Ossic X headphones? Do you think it will truly be the next gen of sound technology or is all just a meme? Everyone is saying it's very impressive based off impressions but they don't get shipped out until July.

I'm inclined to agree with your trips, but seeing the Q701 disconnected while "in use" always kills my boner...

That + VR goggles would be very interesting.

>kicksta-
TRASHED

Are they any good? Or just snake oil?

About to cop a pair of etymotic hf5's. Am I making the right choice in that price range for iems?

It's alright.
If you want neutral and high isolation it's the best choice.

That's what I'm looking for. I would love to get the er4's but I don't have that kinda money.

And is the wire breaking problem really that big of an issue if I always put the earbuds in the case when not in use? I feel like retards are the ones breaking them.

>And is the wire breaking problem really that big of an issue if I always put the earbuds in the case when not in use?
It will be fine. For my personal unit I managed to strip the rubber from using the chin slider very often. But I've owned these IEMs for an eternity and they still work.

I recently subscribed to Monstercat gold, which provides the FLAC versions converted directly from the masters.
A lot of the EDM tracks definitely benefit from a good set of so called "hi-fi bass headphones"

pls respond :(

Sorry dude, not many here know cheap wireless, many here don't even approve of wireless in the first place, but bump again during the day, you might get lucky.

Ah. Well thanks anyway, I'll try that.

I've been wanting to get some headphones. Been eyeing the HD600 and HD650, there's a guy near me selling the Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 for 130. As someone who listens to mostly rock would it be worth it. Past headphones were the ath m50x. They were ok but I've worn the pads out. What does /hpg/ recommend.

If you want more bass get the HD650

I wouldn't mind a little bass, but would like more clarity. What is the soundstage like, I get mixed answers online. Would the soundstage be worth it for overwatch and other shooters. And is the Amp/Dac stack worth it

HD600 has better clarity.

Soundstage for shooters is an audiophile meme, listening skills matter more than your headphone in FPS games.

That said the HD600 is generally perceived as having a small soundstage.

130 for both the amp and DAC seems to be a good price.

Alright thanks for the response. Think I'll definitely get the 600 for the clarity.

So hey /hpg/. Hoping to replace my broken headphones within the week. What do you suggest with this info?

Budget: 200$. Although I can go 300 if I can get a mic with it.
Source: USB, but I have the normal input as well
Fullsized
closed
high comfort if possible. The less I feel it the better.
Past headphones: logitech g35 headphones

Looking for something that can act as a head set that gives great sound to go with a standalone mic for video capture and upload.

Right now I am using a cheap 20$ piece of crap that gives out constant static, so hoping to upgrade with your advice.

>I have the normal input as well
3.5mm or 1/4'?
>looking for something that can act as a headset that gives great sound with a standalone mic
Well do you want a desk mic or a mic that connects you the headphones via 3.5mm like a BoomPro?

>3.5mm

>Mics
I know how to work the first, but I'm willing to learn about the latter.

I am bar none new to headphones, audio, music, and this general. At my level of info you all seem like experts to me.

Well let's talk about the microphone bit. Would you like it attached to your headphones or have it sit on your desk?

Sit on the desk, but I can go with the headphone if the quality is good enough for recording.

BM-700/800 if you want a nice, cheap condenser mic otherwise grab a Samson Metor. The Meteor competes with the Blue Yeti.

Thanks! I'm already looking at them. Got any headset ideas to go with them?

I mostly game at home so closed full sized sets are what I use on average. Surround sound is needed as well as great quality.

And since I had a G35 I REALLY need something that isn't going to snap in my hands.

Sorry I mean headphones.
Thanks man I really thank you for the info.

7.1 Surround is just a gimmick. All you'll need is a good set of stereo heaphones with good soundstage and imaging (Spatial depth and accurate tracking from left to right). If the enviroment around you is relatively quiet, consider open backed headphones. If you absolutely need closed headphones, look into Brainwavs HM5's, DT 770 80 Ohm, Custom One Pro/Studios.

The 600 are better headphones imo but if you mainly listen to rock then I'd recommend the 650. The modi and magni together for 130 sounds like a steal. You will love that setup overall.

For now it's interesting. It could be amazing.

I thought the surround sound might be a gimmick. I can look into open backed headphones if you want to drop a name. I just prefer closed so I can hear only what comes from the headphone.

Then again I know nothing so everything you send is being looked at. Think I'll pair up the samson metor with the Brainwavs HM5 unless you have any other ideas. Here's hoping I can hear a foot fall in my games now.

I have to sleep now, but really. Thanks user.
I hope I can someday solve a /r/ in your name.

The 600 has better clarity than the 650 and everything sounds more natural. The sound stage is pretty small but the positional accuracy is perfect, making them good for gaming.I haven't given a shit about sound stage since I got my 600's. It doesn't really matter when the headphone sounds so fucking good.

Under $100, there's Superlux HD 668B's/681(F/B), SHP9500's, 558/598's. There's also AKG K612/Q701/K712/K7XX but require an amp. These are all also Open-Back.

Eh it's not THAT bad from the plots. Certainly not a headphone I'd spend a money on but I can see peoples enjoying that sound signature.

What's going on around 1500 Hz? Someone wiser could shed some light on it.

>The 8 kHz dip is strange and makes no sense if based entirely on measurements. You need to work out the treble for yourself. If you got an average pair of ears and an average pair of HD 650s, you're gonna need something like a 5 dB boost between 6 and 9 kHz.

It's a 6 dB dip, but it's a narrow dip. That part of the EQ doesn't have that much of an impact on the overall sound, it just takes the edge off for my sensitive ears. I think my HD 650 sounds very nice set up like this. I guess that other graph might just make the change look more exaggerated. Maybe you'd like it too, if you heard how it sounds. I'll give it a try listening to it the way you mentioned, though

Are PCI soundcards a meme?

I want to drive some 250ohm headphones but am poorfag and found a deal on a soundcard for 25 bucks.

Hey guys,
Asked in the other thread when it was approaching bump limit so didn't really get an answer, I have some IEMs and low end earbuds now and am looking for some headphones for home use:

>Budget
$100-200 USD
>Source
Laptop into JDS labs C5D, will be looking into a Fiio X3
>Type of headphone
Cans, open or closed but would probably prefer closed.
>Comfort level
Not really an issue, as long as it doesn't make my ears sweat with cheap vinyl pads
>Sound signature
Neutral and fast, I'm ok with a slightly forward midrange if it comes with lots of detail.
>Past headphones
Shure E2C, ME6 pro, Roland IEMs

The KEF M500, AKG K553 PRO and Fostex T50RP look good, but I seriously have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to cans.

It depends. Most of people here will tell you that they are a meme. I know of 1 pci soundcard that is a good deal (SC808) and one that is good but not a good deal (Xonar STX).
Xonar DX/D1 also used to be decent and is often sold for very cheap used.

The xonar D1 is actually the one I found the deal on. Is it decent? I'm not some hardcore audiophile or anything I primarily just want some more volume and bass on these.

It's decent but that's pretty much it. Don't expect too much or you are going to be disappointed. Also Asus drivers are fucking garbage and they never bother updating them. I actually have mixed feelings recommending it, because while it's not a bad soundcard, there is probably little difference between it and todays onboard audio cards. Frankly I think it would be better to save up for used fiio e10k if you are on a tight budget.

I literally just got a Stax set last week within your budget price. They're a bit forward in the treble, but that's most lambdas for you. This old one is less bad in that department than many others though. It's the japanese model they based the nova on, so more neutral than not.

Here's something similar. I think it's a Lambda 202 basic set. jauce.com/auction/d227559100

You can probably get it to your door for less than $200. Maybe less than $150 depending on how high the auction goes.

>Budget
Doesn't matter
>Location
New Zealand (but I'll probably buy online)
>Source
laptop/phone
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
>Would you be willing to accept less comfortable headphones if it meant better sound quality?
no, more comfortable would be better
>Sound signature
just normal is fine (ie not retardedly high bass)
>Past headphones
I've tried beats solohd or something before but they are too small for my head and were painful to wear for more than 5 minutes. And I found the bass to be too overpowering

Fulla v1 vs E10k?

Get the schiit.

Fulla 2. At that point do not cheapen out. Getting Fulla2 should ensure you won't need another amp/dac. The specs and connectivity options are that much higher vs e10k/fulla1.

>>Budget
>Doesn't matter

Sony MDR-Z1R

Can't afford it desu

It's just $25 difference you dumbass. Tell mom you will take trash out for 1 month in return for additional $25 pocket money. Or go to mcdonalds and flip burgers for a day. Or just save up by any other means.

I can get fulla for 110aud but fulla 2 is 165, is it really worth the extra? Neetbux doesn't pay much fám

>Budget
50€

>Location
Europe

>Source
PC

>Type of headphone
full sized

>Open or closed
Irrelevant

>Comfort level
As comfy as possible

>Sound signature
For gaming.

>Past headphones
chink shit

help a poor fag out

Do you need either?

HD558 or HD598. Probably used.

It's better and there is not that much of a price difference. But I guess it depends on your idea of value, and also from what I see there is bigger price gap in AUS than USD.
I usually prefer to buy once and buy good, than buy shit and buy twice, but it's really up to you. Not being a NEET would probably help

With 50€ all you can buy is chinkshit or look for used.
Go to /csg/ and look for superluxes, also make sure to order some pads with them.
Somic V2 are pretty nice in this price range.
But again, it's all chinkshit either way.

Opinions on Darkvoice 336SE?

placebo

From the specs I could find, the valhalla has a much lower distortion figure.

Tubes are supposed to add distortion.

No, they're really not supposed to. Some dumb niggas design tube amps that do that, but they're doing it wrong.

You're wrong but ok.

first pair coming in a week (m40x)
d-did i do good

>tfw waiting for my DT 880's to get delivered

>Budget
Upwards of $200, can go higher if a compelling enough argument is made for a pair
>Location
Canadia
>Source
Will be picking up a FiiO X5 III pretty soon
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Closed, I much prefer an isolated soundscape
>Comfort level
Would like a decent level of comfort
>Sound signature
Warm or neutral. I want to hear the music as the artist intended it but I also really enjoy heavy bass, but not too heavy
>Past headphones
Just starting into high res audio, but was constrained by money at the time. Coming from Apple buds and a Logitech G430 headset

I had been eyeing the AT M50x but have been suggested to go with the M40x. Kinda unsure where to go from there.

I have the Sennheiser HD 800. I have reached the apex of existence, and these threads are no longer useful for me.

>not the HE-1060
>this poorfag doesn't have $55k to throw away on a toy to show off to his richfag friends

:^)

Absolute trash.
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2017/02/sony-mdr-z1r-over-ear-headphones.html

Ether C or wait for ÆON.

Did you mod them, what amp are you using?

ok how about really cheap

>I'm not sure if it'll kill the wiring or not
It won't. There isn't even any wiring. The headband is literally steel that conducts the signal. Tough as fuck too.

Could be very cool, but I doubt it'll be anything but overpriced.

XPT100
Did you expect people to recommend cheap headphones when you say price doesn't matter?

If I was rich enough to buy anything and everything, why would I need advice on what to buy?