Installing Linux

>download iso
>copy contents using dd, pick wrong disk...fuck
>copy contents using dd, reverse if and of...15GB iso file now....fuck
>copy contents with dd correctly....ok
>thinkpad won't boot...have to enable boot manager in bios....ok
>get to linux install screen...its not desktop version its just terminal version...boots to blinking prompt .... fuck
>fix this...install it....forget to use encrypted partition...fuck

JUST

Hello, I am a computer science student currently studying data compression, and I've taken the liberty of running your post through an algorithm I've developed. Here's the output:

>I'm retarded

No need to thank me :)

>being this autistic and not checking dd
>saying "linux install screen" instead of distro name
fake af

Mac OS does not have this problem.

/thread

>59961613

debian jessie kde

I'm sorry that you find it difficult to use dd. It's a very good tool, but there are GUI alternatives that are more your speed.

As for not being able to follow simple instructions, that's on you.

So you're completely retarded who can't even get the LiveCD version to install it from a DE? Nice.

Also
>can't use ncurses

You shouldn't be using Debian, kiddo.

smdh thiz iz babby b8

>using dd
>not pv

cucks.

i'm gonna use it anyways what are you gonna do it about it?

before some dipshit defends dd.

pv is smart enough to pick the proper buffering size to write an image to the disk for maximum speed.

only a dipshit tries to fuck with bs= instead of just using pv.

why don't you just use rsync nigger

Laughinggirls.jpg

why the fuck would you use rsync to write an image to a disk?
if it is because of "muh progress barzzz"
GNU dd has had fucking status=progress for some time now.

different user here, I use dd exclusively to write images to my USB drives since I've gotten very consistent results from it, but I did not know there are options for a progress indicator.

Given the command sudo dd if=/home/user/Downloads/OS.iso of=/dev/sdc what modifications to the command need to be made to show progress?

you can also just press ctr+t to see total bytes written ...

add status=progress assuming you're using newish GNU coreutils.

BSD faggots btfo as usual.

also seriously look into pv, pv is much smarter than dd. dd only buffers and writes based on the blocksize that you define with bs=size which can be slow if it's too small or large.

>download minimal net boot iso
>choose options I want
>install
>OS installs without issue
>install programs I want
>use stable and simple OS for months without issue at this point

I don't know what the fuck "dd" even is. How can you screw up this bad?

only virgins and unemployed losers use linux

all the smart employed people use windows

MMM fresh new pasta

>download M$ WIndows 10
>write to USB
>doesn't even boot
>had to mount it and install fucking grub to actually boot a windows installer

how the flying fuck is that more "user friendly" ???

Can't even use Windows. Are you retarded?

>doesn't know what dd even is
>proceeds in condescending manner

wew

I couldn't care less.

the only way I could get windows to make a bootable usb was to use their own proprietary image creating bullshit through recovery software

alright, thank you anons

>i did something wrong
>i did something wrong, again
>i did something else wrong
>i did something else wrong, again

JUST

"Works on my machine." :^)

how am I retarded?

I bet you could't even install grub on a USB drive and configure it properly to fucking boot wangblowsOS installer you fucking winfaggot

I need this algorithm.

>install KDE
>get pop-ups about random shit crashing constantly
>cursor ghosting out the ass
>it thinks i have two monitors
>slow as piss

disgusting

i can't stop laughing

just use cp. dd is a meme

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Did try install linux on computer? Computer no work. Buy new computer.

keked my user

>buy new intel CPU because I fell for the GHz meme and got a PC with a slow shitty AMD CPU
>spend an hour figuring out how to open computer and vacuuming dust out of it
>spend another 2 hours figuring out where in computer the CPU goes and figuring out how to remove CPU cooler
>cut my finger a little on the CPU fan because it didn't say I needed to turn computer off first
>spend another half hour cleaning blood off of motherboard and removing old CPU
>ridiculously difficult and loud popping noises when fitting new CPU into socket
>new CPU cooler came with thermal paste pre-applied that they didn't mention anywhere on the box, thermal paste came off and got stuck in carpet
>they didn't provide any backup thermal paste
>look up alternatives to thermal paste on google
>don't have any toothpaste so use my semen
>spend another hour cleaning thermal paste out of carpet, wiping excess semen and pubic hair off motherboard
>spend another half hour figuring out how to attach CPU cooler and put computer back together
>press power button on computer
>it just beeps and doesn't start
>doesn't show an error message or anything, just refuses to start no matter what I do
>after half hour of talking to intel customer support they tell me to go fuck myself and stop answering my calls
>throw computer away and just use my smartphone and xbox one instead which is 10x more convenient anyway

Fuck you and your advice, Sup Forums and the rest of the internet.

t. OP

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

>>can't use ncurses
who are you quoting?

>downlaod iso
>use dd properly instead of being a massive retard
>arch anywhere so follow basic instructions
>takes maybe 30 minutes
>set up users
>done

keeeeek

>download Windows 10 iso free
>Click install
>Type in my username and password

Done.

you're the guy who can't even complete a brain-dead easy operating system install

>kubuntu
>plasma 5.5
Try neon user edition or at least activate the backports, most critical bugs has been already fixed and since 5.8 is reasonably solid.

I know you're trying to get help by baiting. I'm gonna help you a bit, try etched or the gnome disk utility. Done. This is something you could have found on Google easily. The next time go to the /sqt/ or the /flt/, be polite, follow the rules and provide relevant info about your issue, in a bait thread you'll not get a more significant help except getting someone to Google for you.

/rekt

Because you are using outdated and shitty plasma on kubuntu, you fucking retard, eat shit and die, this distro should die

I had a similar experience, but trying to install Ubuntu on a MacBook

it was a hell of GPT partitions, no usb keys found....

I threw that stupid piece of shit machine in the closet, and it is still there

For the autists, here you go:

> -1. Insert USB stick into computer
> 0. Install Gparted
> 1. Open gparted
> 1a. commandline: sudo gparted
> 1b. Select from menu, popup appears asking for password
> 2. Select the right drive from the right-hand drop down menu
> 2a. If you are not sure if the drive is the right drive, click "View" along the top bar, then click "Device Information".
> 2b. The model should be the same model as the one you purchased
> 3. Make sure the USB stick isn't mounted
> 3a. Right-click on the partition, select unmount or use your favourite file browser (thunar, nautillus) and unmount it from there
> 4. Once all partitions on the device have been unmounted, click "Device", then "Create Partition Table". If you haven't unmounted all of the drives, then it will warn you here.
> 5. For a FAT32 USB stick or for NTFS format, select "MBR", everything else should be GPT
> 6. Click OK, wait
> 7. In the upper-left corner, select the toolbar option "Create a new partition in the selected unallocated space", appears as a new item/plus symbol/anything that resembles new, depending on the icons you are using
> 8. Leave everything as default, under the "File system:" option, change it from ext4 to FAT32
> 9. Click the Add button
> 10. Click the last item on the toolbar, with the tooltip of "Apply All Operations"
> 11. Success!

> 12. Open terminal
> 13. Type: sudo dd if="/path/of/image/to/write" of=/device/that/was/formatted/in/gparted bs=4M status=progress
> 13a. If unsure of the device to write to, redo steps 1. to 2b.
> 13b. If unsure of the disk image to write to the USB stick, use: find * -type f -iname "*.iso"
> 14. Check the command is OK, then enter password
> 15. Wait
> 16. Once dd has finished, type: sudo sync
> 16a. If prompted type password
> 17. Done

You're welcome, . Next time, read "The Linux Command Line", by William E. Shotts Jr, because it does an excellent job of explaining command line programs.

sometimes you can start at step 12
pretty sure the debian isos can just be dd'd onto the stick

> read "The Linux Command Line", by William E. Shotts Jr
>uses the book as platform to spread misinformation about GNU
>refers to GNU bash as "The Linux Command Line"
>reads program infos with "command --help | less"
>compares integers with =
>claims to teach bash, uses [ tests instead of [[
>comes up with stuff like: echo -n "Today's date is: "; date +"%A, %B %-d, %Y"
>thinks rm $TEMP_FILE is good practice
>uppercase variables
There's no doubt that "The Linux Command Line" teaches you how to use the GNU system and it utilities, but you won't learn more than using google.
Don't use tldp, it's the same crap in a different color. If you really want to learn bash for real, check out greycat's wiki.

The dumb employed ones too.

excellent post

kek

Yeah, I usually like to make sure that the USB is properly formatted before I start though, especially on new USB sticks as a "trial run".

I had to shorten down the word count of that post - it was going to be way over 2000 chars.

It's a very good place for a regular user to pick up the Linux Command Line, it's free and available in print (which, for most academics, is necessary - they often don't like wikis for referencing) and most people won't have heard of Greycat's wiki.