Mac Mini

Anybody have one? tell me your experiences

Considering the 8gb model

Other urls found in this thread:

ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Drive-Kit/IF171-005-1
youtube.com/watch?v=aZU9KD2YESQ
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just make one by yourself
its should be alot cheaper, and you can get a powerful cpu instead of a mobile one

Just don't man you obviously browse g enough to know you're an autist

>mac

Dont get 1. Shit performance after a year of regular use. Get something with a faster cpu. Waiting for startup is like a 10 year old xp machine.

it's very, very outdated.

10/10 it fits in my ass
Mac user for years here

Hackintosh a NUC instead if you want a tiny overpriced OSX box.

i bought two and they're great. and don't listen to the faggots who say to hackintosh; they're a bitch to maintain with updates

Fuck off, those are both 3.5" hard drives, there's no way they were ever putting those in Mac Minis. Even the original G4 had a 2.5" disk.

This, I've tried Hackintoshes a few times over the years. You're constantly on edge in case something auto-updates accidently and bricks your install. You spend more time maintaining it that using it.

useless

Don't buy a new one! The current models are shitty. Hopefully they'll be updated this may/June around wwdc.

I have an older 16GB server model from around 2013. I use it as a home media server. It works great, but is starting to show its age with some of the latest compressed media - Plex takes awhile to start playing 1080p stuff while it transcodes.

I'm going t see if hey update the models during wwdc and if they're decent I'll get one. Otherwise I'll just get an intel Nuc and run ubuntu on it.

>no 4K60 video output

into the trash I say

I keep one handy at home incase I need to work on any iOS stuff out of hours, I have a late 2012 model. The 2014 revision is crippled, don't bother with it.

It is absolutely amazing. The other day I was planning to buy a laptop and then I thought to myself if there are any that doesn't have a screen and costs more.

Lo and behold, the Mac Mini was everything I was looking for.

as someone else mentioned, it's rather outdated. no updates in 916 days.

the ram is soldered, so i'd get as much as you can afford. default drive is 5400rpm, which is really slow.

i have no idea why you would buy a desktop mac, especially at the current time. within the past couple of weeks apple gave the first forward looking details about mac hardware, without a product launch, in years. new imac this year, new mac pro next year, and a no comment on the mac mini.

>not knowing about mac mini server model
10 rupees were withdrawn from your Apple Pyy account

This. But really don't be a fag, just get a regular desktop. It's going to be a lot cheaper.

Running a 2012, Core i7 quad ] Ivy Bridge with SSD and 16GB RAM.

Life is good.

server model removed the optical drive for a second hard disk drive.

>Anybody have one? tell me your experiences
mine is plugged into the tv
- plays all content I want
- bypasses cinavia unlike the fucking playstation
- have several usb hard drives plugged into it full of movies and tv for the family which isnt on netflix
- runs a local minecraft server for the kids
- normally leave it on 24hrs a day because it uses hardly any power
- I don't have a 4k tv so this is not an issue for me, but I don't think the mini could drive that

>the ram is soldered
no, you can put up to 16gb in, it is easily upraded:

Step 1: Remove the bottom cover. Turn off your Mac mini. ...
Step 2: Remove the original memory modules. Gently spread the clips at the ends of the top memory module just enough to let the free edge pop up. ...
Step 3: Install the new modules. ...
Step 4: Replace the bottom cover.

>default drive is 5400rpm, which is really slow
I put an SSD in, and there is space for a second but I had to buy a cheap ribbon cable to plug it in because apple does not give you it.
Ribbon cable is part of this kit for instance:
ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Drive-Kit/IF171-005-1

ram is soldered on the current model.

you're right user, I appear to have the older model

There's a refresh coming. Tim recently said Apple still thinks the Mini is important. Its not going anywhere.

Do what this fag did youtube.com/watch?v=aZU9KD2YESQ

I don't understand, what's going on on this picture ?

An Hitachi Deathstar and a WD Green. One is an unreliable piece of garbage drive, the other is not suited for heavy use.

I see, thanks for the clarifications !

I keep an overclocked G4 mini under my monitor for watching movies and switching between things when I'm doing stuff on my desktop.

Buy an used one for a few 100 bucks. It's just not worth over 700€/$

>have a MacBook 15in pro that I got for free 4 years ago
>with regular use it still boots up quicker than any of my windows pcs
>look to see how much one of there desktops cost
>$2000

Why?

Tried it with Clover instead of Chameleon? It's not 100% of a real mac, but it's like 98% compared to the 70% of before.

Question: I hackintosh and use it to write iOS apps. I feel like I should really get some backup Apple hardware just in case they decide to crack down.

What is the absolute cheapest Mac that can run Sierra (without a hack)?

>caviar green / deskstar
>server grade

lol, do their consumer models come with ultrastars etc. then

If you absolutely must, try to find the latest model that allowed HDD and RAM upgrades. Current ones have everything soldered and only come with shitty CPUs

Case is nicely built and did everything I needed to quite smoothly. BUT shit broke down a few months after my apple care warranty was expired and the cost to fix it was stupidly ridiculous. Never again. It did however make me a huge fan of the tiny pc form factor.

gotta pay for quality user-kun

Not worth in the long run. Granted my only experience is my parents' i5 8GB ram model from 2012 but it's aged horribly compared to my similar specced MBP from the same year. As others have said it hasn't been updated since then either. I wouldn't recommend hackintosh though. Wait for new iMac or just go windows

>windows

found your problem, if you wouldnt be retarded you would be using GNU/Linux and not windows + mac

yeah but it has the apple logo on the sticker

>ITT: poorfags

I've been using them for years as dev/build VM hosts, verrry happy

Greens are hard drives like any other.
Just disable the sleep mode and parking you dickhead

Go be an idiot somewhere else.

I've been using them for years and those drives, besides being way too slow for a main HDD, have reliability issues over time. It's not surprising WD gives them a much shorter warranty than it does for other products.

Runs perfectly fine with ESXi on it.
4 Linux Servers running is no problem

I use this at work and its shit. Its slow, the hard drive is shit. I have to restart it every 3 days or lags like ass. We are currently switching us off to i7 linux boxes running mint or arch

>experiences

There's not much to experience. It's a tiny ass computer shaped like a puck brick with less power than literally anything with a fan on it.

I've had a better "experience" walking past landscaping stones the exact same shape and size.

Literally twice as thick.

yeah, got one 5 years ago, runs all the time, never fails.

wasnt moot running Sup Forums off of mac minis?

holy shit yeah i forgot about that

Sup Forums used to run on 4 Mac Minis so don't worry

It was just a meme bro

Get at 2012 version with the best i7. Change to 16gb ram, and an SSD and the mini will carry you through life

I have a late 2012 model as a plex server. Looks great in the living room.

The newer models don't allow you to upgrade RAM though which is a deal breaker for me. When i replace the mini I'm going with a small mini-itx build.

If you get one I recommend at least 8gb ram and an SSD.

get a mid-2012 non retina macbook pro and get an sdd.

>Apple
>cracking down on hackintoshes
They would lose more money off of software sales and the revenue from IOS apps made on hackintoshes than they would gain from forcing people to buy hardware as most would just go used.

>macshit
>lasting more than a year

Its this shit that kills this board

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

>copy-pasta of why macbooks are shit
>in a mac mini discussion
Try harder

Mac Pro and Mac Mini are the shittiest buys ever, just build a hackintosh.

>just build a hackintosh.

Jesus Christ no. Like, if you want OSX go with a mac. If OSX isn't as big a deal, yeah build your own.

>if you want OSX go with a mac.
why? It's literally the same experience.

Hackintosh's run OS X perfectly.

It's macOS not OSX REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That would probably be the cheapest one that's pleasant to use, but I'm looking for the absolute cheapest.

Even if they don't deliberately crack down, it's not the most stable ecosystem in the world. I'm reliant on Nvidia's drivers right now and there are a couple of tricky bugs in the current ones.

The actually good, affordable Mac that went straight to shit once Apple started doing all that soldering bullshit.

I hackintosh and I'm happy with it but it's definitely not perfect. Very few setups are truly 100% functional compete with iMessage, Continuity, etc.

But that's not a Mac Mini. That's a Time Capsule router.

I've been waiting for them to upgrade these pieces of shit for like 3 years now. I ended up getting a NUC to hold me off. It's alright but FFS why are they still selling computers with 8 year old technology for like $1000.

It's only a good buy if it's the 2012 quad core mac mini. Apple went full kike mode on the newer models and used a lower performing dual core while increasing the price massively.

i miss m00t

holy fucking shit i'm using two of these at work (one with OS DIX and the other with ubuntu) and they are both fucking dying on me. One has a toasted graphics processor and fails to work as anything but a text renderer, and thats only after I unplug the second monitor. The other one has a fucky ethernet port and just randomly shits the bed unable to connect to anything for random amounts of time.

Fuck these god damn things. Seriously

My 560 TI runs native on OSX supplied drivers, no web drivers needed. If your using pascal expect bugs since the drivers where just released on top of Sierra still being relatively new, if you want stability in a hackintosh there is no reason to try to outpace Apple on hardware.

speaking of which. i was going to ask my boss to get me some of these, but it turns out he is just going to let me go soon anyway. So I guess i'll never know if its any good.

I had high hopes for those, I even liked that goofy steampunk notebook. But I know it's probably shit, because HPE

You get a laptop cpu in an square form factor

It's not worth buying a desktop model of a Apple product. They make great portable devices compared to their competitors, but not stand alone desktop machines. Just purchase some commodity hardware and install a Linux distribution. Throw this all out the Window if you're dead set on using a piece of software only available on OSX.

>Has the Apple logo on the sticker
I-It must be s-server g-grade

bretty good

consider a used iMac though

wtf why

There not bad as small servers
>Small foot print
>low power
>stackable
>it's apple so they tend to just work
There not power houses but its not like Sup Forums is a heavy website with fuckloads of web 2.0 bullshit

>>it's apple so they tend to just overheat and catch fire

Fixed.

Yeah I mean the question is though why you wouldn't just simultaneously install Linux (closest thing to Mac and same functionality) on a bunch of slightly cheaper mini PCs

Yes he was, but not for long. The Sup Forums website files were also stored and run from a USB stick plugged into one of the macs.
Good times.

Someone post mac mini cluster

I can only guess its a more money than sense issue or moot was just wanted to use Mac's laughable server functionality which broke on upgrading to OS X 10.7. Don't really know to be honest.

Why doesn't Apple make server shit anymore?

They could make another fortune off something simple to engineer since many enjoy the functionality of Mac with Unix for server + you can have applications that need Mac tested

Because IT departments actually spend a lot of money on their equipment and do proper research on their purchases unlike gullible normies that buy whatever their TV tells them to.

Overheating combustible chinktrash Apple crap would never cut it in a mission critical environment.

I just don't get it

Apple gets the best engineers and has them solely design ONE laptop, and they can't make a fucking charger that works

>best engineers
lmao

I had one of the Tiger / Leopard era Mac Minis, and it definitely used baby drives, not 3.5"

Badly shipped, might I say.
Besides, 3,5" are still used in iMacs.

> ESX
I hope they're not ESXi hosts.

Mac OS does boot faster, but if you have an ssd as your boot drive it literally does not matter.