/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/JiXZ2f0t

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/1-Port-Flush-Mount-ExpressCard-SuperSpeed-USB-3-Card-Adapter~ECUSB3S11
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WNAYS4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for THICC W series

Friendly reminder the chiclet keyboard is better despite the layout.

>the chiclet keyboard is better
sure if you never used the old one

>sure if you never used the old one
literally not true. enjoy your flex.

You guys know the two screens you tend to see on listings? The Windows one that shows he hardware performance score, and the BIOS one? I am so upset they don't display the screen resolution. I can't seriously consider anything without that info, and anyone with it probably overprices their shit. Fucking reeeeeeee...

So my t410 overheats and I want an upgrade/replacement with a nice trackpoint

Was thinking a refurbished 8670 elitebook, anything similar thats not outrageously priced?

>thicc
Birches don't know bout my 3 inches

Sup Forumsuise I want to ascend Sup Forums with a thinkpad (with an old i5 or something) but I am a europoor (50-70 buckaroos). Can you help me find a good deal ?

Have you considered opening it up and replacing the thermal paste on the CPU?

Is HP anti-semetic?
Should I buy an elitebook now?

It's probably not over heating.
The X201 and T410 run hot because the 1st gen i5 was a pile of shit.
Just repaste and clean it out, you'll be fine.

>The X201 and T410 run hot because the 1st gen i5 was a pile of shit.
false.
the HP 8440p runs cool as fuck with a 1st gen i5.
all 12" and 14" thinkpad heatsinks are meme-tier.

Post temps then

3rd gen i5 master race.

Where would I get a (cheap) 1440p display for my carbon? They won't repair it for free and charge like 400€ just for removing 8 screws, I can do that myself.

Found a x230 with problems when turning on and off to function correctly. Someone know if it's a common problem?

so is the t420 the best option for under 200 euros or are there better alternatives at that price?

>x230

Enjoy your chink battery housefire.

What is the network card problem and yellow text about the bios referring to?

Who even replaces network cards in any laptop?

keep posting that stolen pic you retard

is it possible to replace a broken hinge on a t420s?

thinkpad owners

>proof: my ass.

cry more bitch nigga

Maybe you want one that supports 802.11ac, or maybe you want one that works without firmware blobs.

>you dont need that
nice MacBook argument you got there.

i really want a thinkpad for wordpress, autocad, and to edit 4k videos.

>autocad
day job

>4k videos
hobby

any suggestions?

I recently picked up a used T420 and have been really enjoying it. Of course, it doesn't come with USB 3 so I also picked up an expresscard USB 3 from Startech: startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/1-Port-Flush-Mount-ExpressCard-SuperSpeed-USB-3-Card-Adapter~ECUSB3S11

The adapter works great in Win7 but seems to be inconsistent with my various USB 3 drives on Linux, despite the website claiming it is compatible. I've had some difficulty tracking down much information for drivers for this device or anyone talking about configuring it for Linux.

Any ideas or resources?

What are underhanded ways of getting think pads without spending USD? No theif.

I desperately need a laptop for small web server

nice Strawman argument you got there.

Tell me how to get thinkpad without spending usd

Are chink usb 3.0 expresscards good? Can't afford the brand ones

>t430
>battery started reporting 0% charge while being charged
>can use it fine while plugged in, when i unplug it it lasts for like 10 minutes and then dies

RIP in peaces

time for a new battery i guess

Why crying? you're the one who can't create a good answer

They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I find that a lot of the older style keyboards suffer from mushy key actuation. It isn't even model specific, just depends on the supplier for that particular batch. The keyboard on my W520 is amazing but the one on my brother's T420 is sort of underwhelming and imprecise in comparison. And they are supposed to be the same fucking part. The new chiclets are more uniform it seems. Personally, I like both the T560 I have at work and the W520 I've got at home. The T560 is a little annoying because Lenovo simplified the keyboard a little too much (the whole function row is messed), but for 97% of the time it is just as good. And this is coming from someone who turned his nose up at the T430 when it came out.

I used to have one in my T61. I was pretty disappointed with it, the card would get stupid hot and then sometimes stop working, which caused problems when I was trying to copy shit to a USB 3.0 drive.

>you're the one who can't create a good answer
answer to what? are you high?

>Linux
you should solve this problem asap

I have one(I got generic one from aliexpress, 54mm one) and it works OK. It often gets really hot and speeds aren't as fast as legit/native usb3.0, but still faster than usb2.0.

pass the cooler brah

How to remove computrace?

Unfortunate since apparently your battery still has 82% capacity. Mine is fucked at 56% because I was an idiot

I have an old latitude e6400.
The mouse moves alone at times and the battery is dead.
Should i fix it or should i buy a t420?
I want to spend 200euro or less

get a W520

LP140WD2(TL)(G1) replacement panel for my t420 review:

got a used "grade b" panel off ebay for $35, which seems like the only way to get a legit-by-model-# panel, instead of a """compatible""" who-knows-what from china. one tiny scratch that i can't see when the panel is on unless theres a solid color underneath and i try really hard to find it. probably going to put worse scratches on myself in my day to day

-hell of a lot brighter and better color. at least as good as my cheap lg ips monitor
-viewing angles are *acceptable* vs stock (piss awful). pretty good horizontal, pretty good tilted back until about 120° then starts getting wonky, not great tilted forward
-glossy coating isn't too reflective. bright lights will show up, but its not a fucking mirror like some ive seen

i'd say worth $35. don't pay much more than that to improve your t420 display unless it's straight up going full retard soldering in a board for a 1080p ips. even then, please reflect a little on how much time/$$$ is being put into a $150ish 5 y/o laptop

Is it worth asking a seller if the charger in the photos is part of the listing if it's a good deal either way?

It doesn't mention the charger, but if I ask and they confirm, I'd be out of a good deal if someone buys it before I do.

close to getting the t420 - theres one selling here for £130 -
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WNAYS4
it says res is 1600x900. Can I dual screen to a 2560x1600 monitor, or what is the highest res? I'm a complete noob at this.

Looks more like a gun than a swastika.

>Mine is fucked at 56% because I was an idiot
In what way? I'm getting a 430 and don't want to fuck it up immediately.

Have fun being cucked by an oem battery

?
Try to use words instead of memes.

You're gonna need to buy an expensive battery

How much work is it to switch out the 430 keyboard with a 420 keyboard?

Does the bigger heatsink for CPU with GPU stillt fit on a motherboad without a CPU? Could it increase cooling performance if you replaced your CPU cooler with a CPU/GPU cooler?

Thinkpad T530 in my case

Obligatory /tpg/ pic always related

No and No

Also want an answer. I've burned myself with tech before and always have an open ear to insight.

>implying the x230 would catch on fire when it has
>>cooler, faster processor
>>real, OEM batteries

More than it's worth to be honest. It's subjective, but the T430 keyboards are still one of the best you can find on a laptop to date. The dedicated media keys are a plus too. I dont think a BIOS flash and the minor I/O handicaps are worth the switch when the T430 keyboard is good enough. But if you really need the T420 keyboard, I'd advise you to do a bit of research before the BIOS flash.

I don't. I was just curious.
Thanks.

I just got the same display off Amazon for about $50 for my T430. The glossy display looks much better than the matte cheap-shit panel that Lenovo provided. Honestly, I advise anyone who has a T420-T430 to make the upgrade if they cant handle the piss-poor viewing angles and shit color contrast from the default panels. Just dont expect IPS level colors, viewing angles and brightness, it's still a TN panel.

This really depends on the specific cooler models and how much you're willing to mod it
I was able to add the R52 cooler with the bigger fan and gpu heat pipes on my T42 after a few hours with a dremel tool, files and a drill.
I've also done a similar thing involving some alienware heatsink I found on eBay for 5$ and modified that to fit on a T410

A brand new original charger is 20-30 dollars. Usually what you see is what you get, unless the seller is just using the same photos for every listing, or something he lifted from elsewhere.

HP 2570p with i7-3720qm CPU, 16GB RAM, WiFi ac + wwan + 2,5" 256GB SSD + 2,5 2TB HDD
OR
ThinkPad x230 with i7-3520m CPU, 16GB RAM, WiFi + wwan + 2,5" 256GB SSD and IPS screen

which one? Is 2570p screen absolutely dogshit-tier disgusting, or is it actually usable?

Okay so I just took a RAM stick from my X220 and put it in my W520. My W520 is working fine, it shows that it now has 12GB RAM instead of 8 so no issues there, but should i expect any later issues? not to mention the RAM from my x220 is of a different brand than my W520

Your RAM will be bottlenecked to the speed of the slowest stick, but that should be it.

pls help

Got a second T430 and I think this is the greatest fucking deal I've found so far.

$100 shipped with power adapter and dead battery. No HDD or caddy. 8GB RAM, i5.

Spent $55 on a new OEM battery, $45 on a 120GB SSD and caddy.

Total $200 for a fucking sparkling refurbed T430 with 8GB RAM and new battery/SSD. Does a better deal exist?

I'd like to find one like that too.

What's the built in drive?
Sounds like an awesome deal. Mine is at around 300$ with 8gb ram and the 300hdd switched with a 128ssd.
I don't really know the state of it yet but I am assuming it will be factory quality.
Might get a caddy and an additional ssd down the line.

Is the T450s the best 'new' Thinkpad?

>cooler, faster processor
>every temp posted by anons and official benchmarks shows it's a housefire compared to X220
lmao

anyone think it is worth reinstalling windows to uses UEFI on my t420
and before
>windows
i use windows only programs for work and uni

I know the r series is apparently shit but I acquired and r500 and r61, is either one better than the other performance wise? I know the r500 has a touch pad but I won't use it.

What do you mean built in drive? It had none unless you mean the CD drive, in which case I don't know I didn't bother to check / don't care. I'm gonna get a second caddy and pop another drive in there.

>buy a used t420 off ebay
>a strong smell of piss with every opening/closing of the lid
>keys smell like piss
>keys even taste like piss

i seriously think there's piss on this thing

>tasting keys

>Not being able to play 1080p 10-bit anime
>Why even live

I'm not entirely sure but I remember I was getting ~4 hours with 20% wear on the battery, then I discovered /ptg/ so I left my laptop on during days for weeks to seed, always removed battery at 100% and just left there and I'm not sure if it was because of sun hitting directly or something but I noticed an abrupt change in battery life and what do you know it's 40% wear instead of 20%
It went from like ~50Wh to 35Wh.

Posting from my new x230. Really liking it. Grabbed it after my MacBook Pro crapped out early.

Opted for the 9 cell battery and a Samsung SSD and it's running well so far. Might upgrade RAM in the near future.

post pics faggot

any advice on getting the integrated wifi to work on macOS Sierra?
T420

ezpz, buy in another currency.
i spend 0 USD on my thinkpad.

Didn't you read the guides? Stock cards do not work, you need to flash a custom BIOS and put a compatible wifi card

Is there any benefit to using an eGPU with the internal interfaces (mPCIe I think) instead of expresscard? Also, x230 or t430?

no and in some cases it's more of a hassle w/r/t hotplugging and whitelists

Any thinkpads with decent keyboards under $100?

So through a friend of a friend of mine, I'm gonna get my hands on a free l420. Screen aside, how would they compare with a t420?

Holy fuck Sup Forums just snagaroo'd a fully spec'd Thinkpad T440s from work for like a hundred bucks.
Just replaced the keyboard with a liteOn one, which is much better and less glossy. Now all that's left is to get a T450 series touchpad/trackpoint buttons.
What a fucking steal, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb of ram, and an i7.

How much of a pain in this ass is it to put coreboot in the x200?

>tfw your Thinkpad™ T420® plays that game everyone at work won't shut up about

wondering the same about t400
in the docs it shows some alligator clip looking thing hooked to the bios chip but doesnt say what it is. anyone with experience with advice will receive an eblowjob

They're not gonna sell a computer with no harddrive. So there's one built into the laptop when you get it regardless of the caddy.

Reinstall OS, if that doesn't work then open it up to see if anything is visibly corroded.

Nice touch with the bandaid.

Part it out on ebay and put the money towards a decent thinkpad.

Depends on what's important to you.
t420 is nice, but if you want portability or similar would go the x220. If you want a nice screen that's something totally different. 1366x768 isn't exactly ideal

I agree, the bandaid is cool imo. If I didn't use my webcam every once in a while, I'd do that if I had the balls.