I'm about to backup my files onto some 25GB blu-rays

I'm about to backup my files onto some 25GB blu-rays.

But Blu-rays (as with any other disc media), doesn't hold exactly 25GB.

What do I put in the byte box for Winrar?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pekgrP-v5O0
amazon.com/PlexDisc-633-814-Blu-ray-Recordable-50-Disc/dp/B00IK46BJC/
amazon.com/Verbatim-Blu-ray-Single-Layer-Recordable-97707/dp/B005AT3F1W
amazon.com/Verbatim-BD-R-25GB-Branded-Surface/dp/B00GSQ4DBM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is it 23300000000 bytes?

weak google fu

About threefiddy.

I literally just put the blank disc on my drive and clicked properties.

This is what came up.

Can I just copy this number and put it into the file splitter?

24,220,008,448 bytes? Or is that pushing it too close to the edge?
Literally cannot find an answer there.

Forgot pic.

You could split everything into 100mb parts and burn the maximum possible number of those per disk.

Just send it to 20GB so that you wouldn't have to worry about different software not being clear about using GB or GiB.

Man. That's unprofessional as fuck...

filesystem and different ways of counting makes it lower

Fucking waste of space. You're throwing away 2 GB of space every single time

I literally have 300 GB to back up.

I would waste literally 27 GB, that's more than an entire blu-ray.

Backing up to BluRays is unprofessional as fuck. Why do you think it's a bad idea?

I've had my backed up DVDs sitting in a filing cabinet for literally 9 years. All the data is still perfectly readable.

Not to mention M-Disc.

youtube.com/watch?v=pekgrP-v5O0

Then just edge it if that's what you prefer. You could use that extra space for parity, though.

Blu-rays are pretty good for long term cold storage, though. No electrical or mechanical components to worry about and the discs are sure to last a long time if you avoid LTH blu-rays.

>I've had my backed up DVDs sitting in a filing cabinet for literally 9 years. All the data is still perfectly readable.

You got lucky, and you been lucky.
How about $50 and buy a 1TB drive and backup your shit. Store it in the closet in a enclosure with an old laptop and boom you're done,

Just use 22.45GB

Don't use Winrar, the compression is shit.
Use 7-zip with LZMA2 with these settings in the parameter box:
7z a -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on archive.7z dir1

>LTH blu-rays
amazon.com/PlexDisc-633-814-Blu-ray-Recordable-50-Disc/dp/B00IK46BJC/
This is what I have.

Are those LTH?

Explain LTH and the opposition.

The original blu-ray spec mentions that blu-rays were supposed to use inorganic material for increased longevity. Manufacturers, however, whined that they can't use older machinery that was used in DVD manufacture which used organic dyes for the data layer. The LTH standard was created to "remedy" that. LTH discs are cheaper but don't expect them to last long. Manufacturers will usually indicate if the discs are LTH but they won't if it's the "normal" blu-ray. If you really want to be sure, just check imgburn. It will tell you if the disc is HTL (the "normal" blu-ray) or LTH.

So when I put 22.5 GB in google it pulls up 22500000000 bytes.

I think that's what I'll put in Winrar.

>unironically winrar

Just don't expose them to the elements:
light, humidity, high or low temps.

>the compression is shit
Not true, I used the rar5, high compression even added 5% recovery and got pic related.
Get the latest from rarlab, it's free.

But that means that while LTH is not as durable as HTL, LTH is as good as a DVD.

A seasoned user who burns optical media regularly should know basic guidelines to burns a good disc like

Using a good brand and manufacturer
Burning at half the maximum speed
Proper physical storage conditions

Do this right and your media should last long, or at least long enough for your practical uses, unless you need multiple decades because of legal reasons or historical archival reasons

LTH was created back when the technology was new and crazy expensive. Nowadays, the price difference is very small, you might as well spend a few more dollars and potentially get decades more out of your money's worth. Meanwhile, there have been stories of people having trouble with LTH discs just after a few years. I would never think of storing family photos in a LTH disc.

Here is a comparison of the two in price

LTH
amazon.com/Verbatim-Blu-ray-Single-Layer-Recordable-97707/dp/B005AT3F1W

HTL
amazon.com/Verbatim-BD-R-25GB-Branded-Surface/dp/B00GSQ4DBM

Notice how the HTL disc is only around $6-7 more and you get 10 additional discs to boot

>really makes you go 'HHmmmmmmmmmmm'
post archiving how long will it take to burn that much?

Protip: if you're using 25GB Blu-ray blanks, don't burn more than 19.5GB on the discs (that's the number you'd put in WinRAR if needed). Going past that point increases the chances of errors on the portion past 19.5GB on the media regardless of what brand or type of media you happen to use.

Personally I typically burn 15-16GB of data and use the remaining ~3GB for PAR files to ensure the data is safe and it's spread over sets of media 10 discs wide so, even if I were to completely destroy 3 of the discs as long as the 7 remaining discs were readable I can recover every fucking bit of info from all 10 discs without issues.

Yes it takes longer, yes it's more complicated, but the data I choose to archive is worth the additional steps to ensure it's safe for decades to come.

Same practice with DVD blank media but obviously you adjust the sizes so for me about 3.5GB data and the rest filled out as PAR files spread across 10 disc sets.

Haven't lost a single bit of important data (if it's archived to optical media it's important) in 15+ years of burning. High quality Taiyo Yuden media burned at half the rated speed with a verify pass and SHA1 checksums as well as the PAR files and error correction.

My shit is safer than anywhere else it could ever be stored.

> it's free
It's not, but it's a freeware.

>proprietary compression
mane