Was Sandy Bridge pinnacle of Intel?

Was Sandy Bridge pinnacle of Intel?

Unironically yes.

Skylake was really good

Nehalem was

I5 2500k is literally the best CPU Intel ever made

this

shit still plays games just fine

It was their biggest jump, and best launch. SB compared to pre-SB is on the same level as Ryzen compared to pre-Ryzen.

Nah, Nehalem was pedigree to make greatness but it, itself wasn't greatness.

>buy a core 2 quad pc in 2009
>SB comes out only 2 years later
>cpu bottlenecked in every single game since then(especially planetside 2 and bf3) because devs would rather optimize for sandy bridge
NO IT WAS SHIT FUCK YOU

Prove me wrong

I recently realized that 'hyper-threading' by Intel is a dogshit scam and in some cases actually hampers performance. Intel were too kike to license proper multi-threading technology from IBM and made their own poorly performing shit. AMD however, paid IBM and made their own little tweaks.

True patrician uses either Phenom II's or Athlons 64x2. Pleb.

FTFY

>>cpu bottlenecked in every single game since then(especially planetside 2 and bf3) because devs would rather optimize for sandy bridge

compiled with AVX?

How are Kaby Lake and Skylake any better than Haswell? 4790k even outperformed 6700k on some benchmarks.

>tfw 2600k
>keep wanting to upgrade but realize sinking the money in a new gpu always yiels superior results
>rinse and repeat for the last couple of years

Higher IPC, can handle faster ram

YES.

t. proud i5-2500k owner still going stronk.

While many people like to think it is, it certainly wasn't. It definitely is one of the top things Intel has developed, though.

Skylake is easily the best technology Intel has come up with (14nm with relatively low power consumption and decent overclock potential). The jump to 10nm will easily be Intel's biggest accomplishment.

>Skylake is easily the best technology Intel has come up with (14nm with relatively low power consumption and decent overclock potential). The jump to 10nm will easily be Intel's biggest accomplishment.
Very subtle shillpost

>2700K
Move all AMD one step to the dumber image and put 2500K in the second to last image because the added cache size and HT on the 2600K and 2700K gives a fair share of performance alone.
Finally someone who knows.

Only a true pleb wouldn't recognise the benefits of the 5775C's L4 cache. You won't find better frametimes on an Intel quad core.

This. Shame Intel sent desktop Broadwell out to die with a high price tag and zero marketing. Faggot gaymer shits only saw that it didn't overclock as high as their 4790K housefire and dismissed it.

>housefire lake
>good
wew

Skymeme has been reclassified as """""good""""" because it was slightly less of a housefire than Kaby Lake. Watch the latter get a reputation boost when Intel release their next set of mini furnaces.

Reminder Kaby Lake-X is STILL a shitty quad core stuttering housefire (112W TDP)

>112 watts
>quad core

Cooler than Devil's Canyon, and better performance.

Still have my i7-2600k running in a second PC, Sandy Bridge is still absolutely viable as a platform.

>Cooler than Devil's Canyon

HAHAHA, nope.

>Under full load, we see a similar picture. A difference of approximately 21W compared to the older Core i7-4790K is too high in our opinion.

Skymeme uses more power than Haswell and Kaby Lake uses even more than Skymeme. Intel are back in late Pentium-era territory. Just keep cranking the clocks and the power draw because you have no IPC gains to offer. Now that they've tapped that well dry with the 7700K inferno-on-a-chip, they're moving to MOAR COREZ instead.

Can't wait to see Skymeme-E and Kaby Lake-X's power numbers.

>It's 2011
>Get memed into buying a 2500k

the one time Sup Forums gave good advice.

I agree

And I disagree

Even tho Sandy have better IPC, you have to use a Z chipset and K cpu to overclock, and I know you won't have to yet, but it came some years after Nehalem.

On the 1. gen i7 platforms, you can overclock any cpu on allmost any motherboard, across all the chipsets, because you did it via bclk.

And if you have a quadcore with hyperthreading they still run everything today even stock.

If you have a 6core for 1366 overclocked to 4ghz+, it will be overpowered for years to come.

Even shitties 7700k reach 5ghz

Actually Skylake is just good into very low power. It's a shame Intel shifted their entire business to lower power than raw performance

That's a complete lie though.

>As of 2/22/17, the top 59% of tested 7700Ks were able to hit 5.0GHz or greater.

Good luck keeping many of those cool too, since they'll need housefire voltage, requiring custom water or delidding to stop them catching fire.

Nice deflection, I said temps, not power draw. Devil's Canyon has better performance and lower temps.

Blck sucks major ass, it's not a pluss

Indeed you need to delid it. There are no excuses with the shitty Tim Intel uses.
Once you delid it can reach very good temps, another proof Intel just done a shoddy job again

*Skylake

And then you get to reapply the paste yearly.

Power usage is directly linked to heat generated, you dumb faggot. It's quite literally impossible (literally impossible in the literal sense) for a chip pulling 21W more to run cooler. That heat goes somewhere, and it's into your room. You can come up with whatever explanation you like for Skymeme displaying lower temperatures, from thermal probe jewery to better thermal jizz under the heatsink, but it factually generates more heat than Haswell.

Nope, skylake runs cooler. Stay mad, faggot. 4790 fags are always the worst, more than 2500k fags combined.

Dunno with any non metallic paste you need to do it every few weeks the Tim can't hold. With metal I didn't seen any degradation, it's basically the same as used in solder that is indium based and melt at low temps

Why is Broadwell most brainlet?

Skylake's temperatures are only lower because they got read of the FIVR and moved it back to the motherboard. All things being equal, the cores generate more heat than Haswell (which should be blantantly obvious to anybody who passed high school physics), but the entire package runs cooler due to the decamping of the power delivery back to the motherboard.

>you get to overclock any cpu on any board
it's not a pluss

>you get to overclock your ram and cpu in steps of 10mhz
it's not a pluss

>you are too retarded to get stable overclocks with bclk

>it's not a pluss

AMD's peak was either:

1) Around the time when the original Athlon 1000mhz came out, when Intel went absolutely crazy with greed by forcing RAMBUS and restricting FSB to 133mhz

or

2) When Athlon 64 came out and Intel's answer was the Pentium 4 Prescott. Hot as fuck lower IPC than older P4s, and barely got any faster clocks. Basically Intel's own Bulldozer.

Thank you for confirming Skylake runs cooler than Devil's Canyon

blck doesn't OC CPU, it OCes everything, from your ram to your chipset, it makes your system unstable.

>still 3500k
>just bought a used 980ti to replace gtx670
>fucking AMD couldnt bring out vega soon enough
>still keep this tower for another 3 or 4 years
>mfw sitting on tower with 6700k and mobo just need ram
>mfw missed buying out new ram last fall and shit just doubled in price

Skylake runs at average similar heat output as haswell. The problem is that the silicone sealant applied to seal the IHS introduces a gap between die and IHS that makes thermal transference worse. Once you remove the gap, even using shitty Tim it improves very much.
Temperature of die isn't a measure of eifficincy.

Thanks for proving my point :)

You're the only one who seems mad at objective facts here, buddy. Enjoy the extra 21W of heat being dumped into your room from your housefire.

Skylake runs 4-6c cooler no matter how you explain it

2600K masterrace

No, I feel I need to make it clear that I think you're stupid too. An extra 21W of power draw doesn't vanish into thin air. You can't have an extra 21W of power without an extra 21W of heat. What heatsink is dissipating it is ultimately irrelevant. It'll just be one of the ones on your motherboard instead of your CPU tower.

15 watts is the igpu you imbecile, and you cannot deny that Skylake runs cooler than Devil's Canyon, it's fact.

Kind of off topic but is there any reliable place to buy an LGA 1155 mobo for my i5-3570k?

Don't forget that the 4790k also had a higher boost clock than the 6700k. Slap another 200mhz onto the 6700k and it becomes even more of a house fire.

20%, C2D was a far far far larger jump. You had 2ghz Core 2's beating out 3.6ghz Pentium D's

>planetside 2
My Ryzen build eats my old FX-8320 for lunch in that game.

Didn't Skylake chips have like 10C lower max temp threshold compared to Haswell?

Sure, if you believe your cpu will shut down at 65c

>$250 c2d bearing $1k ppro

running a sandibridge i3 on my desktop and a sandybridge i5 in my thinkpad, it just werks.

>literally DOA

Why so many people shit on ivy bridge so much?
I was an idiot enough to get an i5 2500 without k and now i can't decide if i should go on 3570k or 2600k

Housefire

Geez, if I listened to everyone ITT, I'd think every last CPU ever made was a housefire waiting to happen.

2500k was intel's masterpiece but 2600k was 2500k perfected

>Masterpiece
>No vt-d

You never listen to Sup Forums. Ever. This is the golden rule.

What about Broadwell laptops? There's plenty of them.

>2500 and 2600 have VT-D support
>2500k and 2600k don't
what did intel meant by this?

>Laptops
you mean those who hasn't been eradicated by 2 in 1 atom tablets yet?

Ivy to Haswell was a huge jump in emulation performance.

Broadwell is the fastest Intel 4/8 CPU in most games at the moment, faster than the 7700K.

Who 3570k here?

The word pinnacle means top or high point. Since sandy bridge has since been significantly outperformed by their newer processors, sandy bridge is no longer the pinnacle.

No, Itanium was.

Nobody remembers the Celeron 300 anymore

It was $180 and every single one could effortlessly clock all the way up to 450mhz, meaning Intel fucked up their own $1000+ Pentium II market. Anybody could have absolute top-end CPU performance. It was miraculous.

Intel's never made a "mistake" like that again.

>get an 2500k in 2012
>put a x50 multiplier just to check what will happen
>it actually boots up and survives prime95 torture
>tfw you win silicon lottery
still using this CPU and it works great

>Even tho Sandy have better IPC, you have to use a Z chipset and K cpu to overclock
>what is P67
Also, K cpus were pretty much the same price as non-K.

Shitty TIM instead of solder resulting in housefire temperatures and lower clocks. There's a reason why Sandy Bridge is the one that's fondly remembered, despite using the same socket. Inferno Bridge was the start of modern Intel, with the 5% gains and mandatory delidding.

>what is P67

The exact same thing? P67 was the top end chipset when Sandy Bridge launched. Z68 replaced it outright, they weren't different tiers.

I'm using it. Sadly, it's hard to cool w/o delidding yet doesn't keep me warm during winter. Housefire temps yet cold as a rock. :^

>Inferno Bridge

I'm a Canuck who needs a new board for it but I can't find jack without getting some clearly delusional used pricing.

[email protected] represent
95°C stressing with linpack but 75°c in the real world

I hate this chip but I love it

>1.405v

Thats fine, but MANY didn't buy Z/K combos because they didn't know about that bullshit.

So there you were, stuck at stock even with a K cpu.
Sandy was the first time the jews cucked us to this degree.

There is no defending that shit.

I feel your pain friend. +$400 for a used or refurbished board from fucking China is 2spooky.

brain memes are supposed to be ironic you FUCK the worst should be at the biggest brain.

have you delidded? these hust have the paste under the ihs, so you'll get shitty temps..

Not gotten around to it yet, might be a cool summer project though. I'm fine with the clock speed but I would like to lower the voltage.

>tfw i7 3770K
Send help. Inferno Bridge was not a meme.

Since people are talking about it, I have an ivy bridge 3570k @ 4.2ghz and I think the voltage is 1.25v, the only thing I did to this CPU was up the ratio until it wouldn't work and it ended up at 4.2Ghz. The voltage is just the automatic/default.

Does anyone know of the common range for ivy bridge i5s overclocks?

2700k master race

i happen to have a brand new z77 MSI board. i always buy 2 mobos when i build a tower. it's just sitting there. don't think i'll ever sell it desu.

got 2 z170 boards too. autism is a helluva drug.