Is Red Hat Linux 7 worth the 49 bucks?

Is Red Hat Linux 7 worth the 49 bucks?

Other urls found in this thread:

developers.redhat.com/blog/2016/03/31/no-cost-rhel-developer-subscription-now-available/
developers.redhat.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Only if you know what you are going to do with it, sure.

People don't use Linux for free, why would you even consider paying for that shit?

Just install CentOS 7 for free, literally the exact same thing

>paying for software

Yes, imo

No, not even close. RedHat is absolute garbage, and I have 3 of their certs. Get something more sensible.

Not the same, you don't get access to the Red Hat Network with CentOS!!!

>Get something more sensible.
Like Windows.

but...you are paying for support. Or is that the joke?

>bought redhat
>uses chrome
>doesnt even use a good screen capture tool
Fucking hell

Looks like you are paying for access to the forums and the ability to fix it your damn self. All of that is free knowledge accessible elsewhere also.

What do you mean 49$? Last time i checked it was 286$ A YEAR. Is it some kind of student offer? Pls respond I'm really interested in getting this

It's just the self-support desktop RHEL.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Well they do have great KB articles

What's this shit then? Can't use gmail.

Did you even try it to decide if it is worth it or not? Download CentOS, it is the same shit without the logo.

I'm trying to evaluate the product but can't because I'm using a
>personal email address

Is it a one time payment or do i need to pay 50$ a year?

$49 a year.

Well if you still want that redhat logo, you can try using the developer edition, it is a free version aimed for developers, for development, anything outside that is considered a TOS violation though.
developers.redhat.com/blog/2016/03/31/no-cost-rhel-developer-subscription-now-available/

You trying to access an enterprise portal or desktop portal? I bought my license with a gmail address.

You can buy them with a gmail but not get the free trial. I just changed my email to my ISP and it works now.

>free trial
oh you mean the ransomware edition that won't update until you pay up

>$40
>Self-support

It's almost like it's Linux.

Their knowledge base is better than the Arch Wiki though.

>$49
>40

Well, you're not paying for it, so it makes sense.

Just installed it. Can update without a problem after activation. After running about 15 different distributions of Linux since 2004 I can finally say I feel at home.

outdated shit
i will buy it when rhel 8 comes out

What features are you missing? What software should be more up-to-date?

libc. its so old that you cant backport anything without breaking the whole system

Look up on the free developer version. Yes there is a free RedHat version.

Here is the link for it.
developers.redhat.com/

> By participating in the Program and accepting these terms, you represent that you will be using the Red Hat Subscriptions(s) fordevelopment purposes only, and Red Hat is relying on your representation as a condition of our providing you access to the Subscription(s). If you use the Red Hat Subscriptions for any other purposes, you are in violation of Red Hat’s Enterprise Agreement set forth below and are required to pay the applicable subscription fees, in addition to any and all other remedies available to Red Hat under applicable law.
did you develop anything, user?

Wasnt the free version Fedora? Am I out of the loop?

Scare tactics. They wouldn't force anyone to pay up, nor sue them for it.

Recently they started giving one license per person for developing purposes. As long as you don't use it in production environments it's free.

They give you the server version, which can be converted to workstation with a tutorial available on the RedHat developers website.

>self-support

Is $49 the idiot tax for not wanting to use, or knowing about, CentOS?

I am developing software on it, in my personal laptop, so yes.

Self support?

So what would RedHat say to "convince" me to spend $49 on this instead of just downloading CentOS?

welcome :)

Should i try it if Fedora doens't work well on my laptop (overheating problems, gnome crashes every 20 minutes, lags, wi-fi works well only after suspend etc)?

Ubuntu is better.

No! Red Hat and NSA are BFFs!!!
You paying 49$ to get into NSA radar.

lol like what? How many servers do you manage? We have 60,000 CentOS servers, I wouldn't replace them with anything else.

Op, just use CentOS.

Red Hat is for enterprises, they even have it in the goddamn name. They have old, stable software right?
Why would you use it on a personal machine?

>m-muh pass
kys

you know only plebs see the pass notification right?

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

fedora is basically rhel unstable you guise why are you paying money for an outdated version of fedora

>he beta teste rehel for free

Redhat shills are real.

>only plebs see the pass notification
only plebs use since4pass*

lol ok dudde

Yes, although CentOS is pretty much the same, I really prefer the red color of RedHat. It's more aesthetically pleasing and makes you look professional. Blue is for faggots.

>RH0844913
>Posting his RHEL support tag number on Sup Forums

>pay $50
>get shit font rendering
I could easily fix this with fontconfig, but this really discourages me from buying RedHat.

you can get one free license and access to all their documentation and such for free if you sign up as a developer
please dont abuse it though

Do they bundle i3 or can I only use GNOME or KDE with it?

This tbqh.

If I'm gonna pay for it, might as well get Windows already.

Only reason I use Linux is because it's cheap.

I use Linux for various reasons (job opportunities, philosophy, excellent code), but one of them is that Windows is shit

>that eye cancer inducing font rendering

>BUYING
>LINUX

The font is fine 2bh, maybe view the image in its real size.

No. Get CentOS.

What can I expect? I've never used anything beyond debian/arch/ubuntu. Since no support with it, are their packages somehow superior? Or package manager? Or what's the big deal?

>something awful
>he paid $10 to use a forum

Your opinion on good investments is not valid.