Alright Sup Forums, first time poster. I need some help

Alright Sup Forums, first time poster. I need some help.

Old bitch secretary where I work says she's not getting certain emails that get sent to her. It seems like it only affects automated emails (such as newsletters) and she keeps nagging me to fix it. She's claimed that she hasn't done anything to her settings for this to happen, but if I know old bitchy women, then I know she's fiddled with something and not told me. Today she told me that she's been trying to book a flight and her Expedia confirmation email won't appear in her inbox.

None of these emails appear in her spam box, or anywhere else. Our email is hosted in Outlook on a server running Windows SBS 2008, and I believe she's running Microsoft Outlook 2007 on her computer.

This problem doesn't affect anyone else but her, and I can't find anything anywhere about what could possibly be the problem.

Help me Sup Forums, you're my only hope.

Other urls found in this thread:

howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_manage/how-to-fix-this-synchronization-log-issue/2291f207-5dfe-4f66-b067-e6a74fce9526
exchangetips.us/2014/09/fix-synchronization-errors-in-outlook-2010/
du.screenstepslive.com/s/docs/m/email/l/65370-setting-up-outlook-2010-on-windows-7-vista
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A-also I'll paypal $50 to you if you can help me with this

I'm desperate, I just need this lady to stop talking to me so I can shitpost in peace.

Install gentoo

Have you tried installing gentoo?

Also, contact your systems administrator.

I have a few questions

>you said you have 2k8 sbs, are you running exchange on there?
>is this a personal email or work email account?

Somewhere along the way, she entered the wrong info.

Because the company is so small, I've technically been forced into the role of system administrator, despite having literally no knowledge of how a server works. Just because I can fix a few computer problems makes them think I'm a tech guru.

>Yes
>Work email, so not sure why she's using it to book flights. But the bossman is apparently fine with it so whatever.

That's what I'm thinking, but I literally have no idea what to look for.

>first time poster
>do my job for me

Fuck off forever.

If you answer I'll help you

>for free

but you gottta answer as best as you can.

also, are you running on a domain or a workgroup? how is the network infra set up? These are all important to ask because right now it sounds like a few things

>you said for sure external emails aren't being recieved, but you didn't say if she can send email to others in a organization and outside of it, that's important for if the network ports changed
>you haven't said if it's just her, again, usually a network issue if it's a lot of people, maybe a firewall setting if it's just her
>you haven't said the platform being used and if another computer has been used to access her email account

First off okay, that's cool. go into exchange and see if any errors pop up.

Second, I know that feel on so many fucking levels.

You need to identify the scope and what's different between the affected and unaffected areas. From the little information I've been given you might want to check the settings she has on her email client. If it's only affecting her, chances are she did something wrong.

I've been managing fine for the past 2 months, but this is the most baffling problem I've had since I've gotten here. I turned to Sup Forums out of literal desperation. That's a nice gif tho

>Yes
>Work email, so not sure why she's using it to book flights. But the bossman is apparently fine with it so whatever.

Domain, Don't know how it's set up.

She can send emails to people fine from what it seems. It is definitely just her, because my boss is subscribed to the same newsletter as her and it comes through to him just fine.

Windows 7, and I believe her Iphone as well though I'm not sure on that one.

I will do this and report back. But why would there be a problem on the exchange server for literally just her? It just doesn't sound like it makes sense.
Aside from me and one other guy, the average age of this office is about 40.

I've checked everything I can and I can't find anything, so I feel liek I'm missing something simple. I just don't know. I don't even know what she could have done because I got here about 2 weeks after the problem had started.

this.

I can only imagine she installed something or directly messed with her outlook settings. if you have auditing enabled you should be able to look there.

Doesn't sound like it's an exchange issue, but like he said, you need to give us more to go off of.

>number of endpoints and what they are (think workstations and servers, NAS units, etc.)
>what the network equipment is, switches, routers etc.
>what exactly is happening in regards to email with everyone in the organization

and any pertinent details I missed.

First rule out all client issues before checking server and network.

Does this happen on another computer?
Try using Outlook Web App/Webmail?

If its in the webmail and not in her outlook, she has a rule or setting that filters your mail.

Try outlook.exe /safe and outlook.exe /resetnavpane

We're hosting email and such on a Dell Poweredge R710 I believe. Everyone else's email is operating fine, literally no complaints except from her. There's about 10-12 other people that access and receive their email just fine.

Not sure how to find any matching else you need to know. Like I said, I don't know shit about servers, the responsibility just fell on me because I'm young and can fix simple computer issues.

Shit I meant Dell T610, not R710.

When you become the server admin, it literally becomes your job to go through the entire configuration of every piece of equipment you're responsible for, and ensure the configurations are proper. A lot of people will install shit willy nilly, mostly because they know it's not their headache come 2-3 months from now. Also exchange can have a million different issues handling email.

Also, you said

>she's running it from her iphone and her desktop, in neither place is she able to get her newsletter but she can send email just fine

Again, may be that the iphone settings are such that she has imap and deleted the emails. Have you tried getting some service to give her an automated email? Also could be in her hosts file or a filter for exchange (remember it handles all the email, outlook is literally just a box that exchange dumps your stuff in).

But yeah, check her iphone, check exchange, and check the outlook account. See if she just deleted it or didn't order her bullshit properly.

I also would recommend you look and see if her smtp ports have changed on any of these, if ssl or tls ports are done right, you know just make sure. some people will mess with whatever they can touch and you gotta audit that shit by hand.

Subscribe to a random newsletter and post the results.
She could order her flight tickets with a personal email adress

Also, try making a new email profile on her computer.

howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm

I have to to this once a day, on outlook 2013 even. Mail can fuck up pretty good but its usually the client and not Exchange. Exchange is really solid once its setup

Trust me I've been there. I had to fix a terastation rackmount v3 without any support because the asshole who sold it scratched the serial off. I think we got it refurb. turns out it saved firmware to partitions on the hard drives, not on some local ROM like a reasonable fucking person would think. Plus three drives degraded so I was lucky to have one spare to clone so I could even update the fucking unit.

Anyway, this shit just takes time. Definitely follow . I do it by the seat of my pants too, but you really have to take it slow or things will get out of hand bad.

Check her Spam Folder in Outlook Web Access

I know I know, but they just kinda threw me in an I've been overwhelmed with the other shit they make me do, now with this thrown on top of it.

I'm gonna try, because it definitely seems like a client side Issue. I just cannot for the life of me figure out what she may have done, since I wasn't even working here when she did it. But I'll try some of these and post back here.

I just hate cleaning up other people's messes. They didn't even HAVE a sys admin before me for like 3 years, they just got the most tech savvy guy in the office the could find who kinda threw everything together willy nilly because he didn't know what he was doing. Now I've gotta clean up the mess. Shit sucks.

>Now I've gotta clean up the mess. Shit sucks.
Basically my job. Well hopefully this works out for you. I'd stay and try to help but I've got to run. Good luck user, you've got this.

Th-thank you.

I'm just a faggot from /fit/ who sorted papers and shitpost before this, I'm completely out of my element.

Create a new email profile for her. Don't delete the old one just set the new one as default.

It will default all settings not stored in exchange and probably fix it.

Just realized she's getting this sent to her.

Did she install spamfighter or something other inane?

I'll ask, but I don't think so
Did that, emails arent there either.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_manage/how-to-fix-this-synchronization-log-issue/2291f207-5dfe-4f66-b067-e6a74fce9526

exchangetips.us/2014/09/fix-synchronization-errors-in-outlook-2010/

Make a new mail profile
du.screenstepslive.com/s/docs/m/email/l/65370-setting-up-outlook-2010-on-windows-7-vista

>Suck McGaugh

Windows firewall.
Disable it, and tell her to retry.
It it works, add an exception rule manually

Tell your boss she's senile and keeps bothering you with a "disappearing emails" issue that only she's experiencing. Problem solved.

I FUCKING FIXED IT Sup Forums

God dammit I'm so sick of this server shit now, but I finally fixed it. Thanks for your answers, I appreciate it.

Should have gone with Linux.

Well "fixed" might be the wrong word. Symantec Mail Security had boxes checked under spam for Newsletter and Marketing being marked as spam. For some reason this only affected her, and not my boss (who was subscribed to the same newsletters as her) or anyone else.

So I unchecked the boxes and now she gets her Expedia emails and stuff so far. So for some reason, disabling spam blocking for those specific thing at the server level for EVERYONE... fixed this small, insignificant problem for one person.

I'm writing my resignation letter, you guys wanna help me write it?

Dude if you resign over such a small thing, you are not gonna make it big.

This is the moment you ask for a raise, baka.

Twas just a joke my dude.

Anyway, thank you all for the help. I'll fuck back off to /fit/ now.

If it's Outlook it's probably being redirected to another folder. I know because I've made this mistake myself. Try expanding the folder list and having a browse. Or she could have blocked the sender.

No this is the moment shit hits the fan at where he works.
Spam isn't being blocked so malicious email isn't being blocked right?