Observed

>be 'small' GPU company
>cards expensive as fuck to make
>make decent competitor against Nvidia's 1060
>still won't sell due to: "muh Nvidia loyalty"
>shit
>have to rebrand to make ends meet with 480s
>still won't sell as much sadly
>must make BIOS of 480s equal to 580s "improved performance" to attract: "lol free performance audience"
>RX 480 sells enough and AMD finally makes good GPUs
Based AMD

improved yield

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
THIS CAN't BE HAPPENING
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

So Nvidia released one of the best card series in its history the 10xx and all AMD can muster is a rebrand?

When 20xx comes out, AMD will be in serious trouble.

Next gen will be 11xx though

shut up cuck who the fuck cares about "of all time" when there's a new better gen every 6 months by expectation. this is strictly a lets shame AMDs incompetence thread, not suck a tiny ltitle jensen huang thread

and the sad thing is people that hate on amd dont understand they are the only competition thats keeping those insane vidiajew prices down somewhat.
loose amd and watch what happens
unpaid shills are worst shills

Well it's all gonna crash down someday.
Nvidia/Intel fags are the worst either way.
I mean don't get me wrong, one of them makes great products that I have used for years in so much more than just games.
And now when Ryzen proves AMD can make great CPUs, they're like: "ehh fuck off AMDrone your bulldozer replica is shit too".
It's as if they live in the past and don't want innovation/consumer competition.
"What are you, poor?"
No, just not a manchild that dwells their work purpose with computer components, instead of the stuff that you can achieve with them.

Bump for Sup Forums to shitpost

Not a good idea. You could brick your GPU if it isn't a good die. Would not recommend. This is basically extreme OC'ing, and the 500 series has made sure every one of these cards were ready for these speeds.

I remember flashing a FX5500 bios on my FX5200 card about 10 years ago

it literally exploded

0/10

>muh extremely minor voltage increase is dangerous
faggots like you are the reason pascal's bios is locked, encrypted, and the keys are somewhere up huang's ass
pascal could have been decent too but nooo

god FUCK YOU
if you dont flash your 480 you're literally watching a nigger fuck your mother

It's not extremely minor, user. The 580 stock is an OC very few 480s have ever reached. It's like OC'ing a 1600 to 4.5ghz.

buuuut it is
the few 480s aren't hitting it because they need voltage probably. idk not gonna pass off like im an expert on 480 overclocking but lately gpus have been limited by voltage in overclocking, artificially at that, and nothing else. I guess if you have a shit cooler on your 480

>muh extremely minor voltage increase is dangerous
It is if your card isn't stable at the 580 BIOS settings. You may end up in a situation where you can't flash the BIOS back and have a useless card.

No one ever claimed it wasn't a rebrand.

I suppose that's a possibility if you have absolutely no other GPU. Could fall back to another card to do the flash, or your igpu if you have one. If you're not good at computers you probably shouldn't fuck with your bios

>the few
The majority. They aren't hitting it because people it isn't capable of being done safely. Look at the heat the 580 gives off. Imagine the 480's temps. This architecture isn't good enough for these overclocks but the 500s are, probably literally, the silicon lotteries of the 400s. Basically you're paying for a very good quality 480 capable of amazing overclocks, with a stock OC done for you.

This. You can easily brick your GPU doing these flash bioses, and the articles even say this. Don't fall for Sup Forums company war faggotry and brick your shit. If you have a capable 480, you'd know it already.

Sorry user, you have no idea what you're talking about. GCN was never designed to clock very high. Voltage requirement increases exponentially with frequency and because of how ICs work, as frequency and voltage increase, it becomes more and more difficult to maintain a uniform voltage across an IC. You can design a processor to hit high clockspeeds, but this is more difficult with GPUs because of the number of cores involved.

It is in no way shape or form a matter of just increasing power to get more clockspeed. Even with liquid nitrogen cooling and a nuclear reactor, a silicon chip will only clock so high.

Hey Sup Forums I currently have two Strix OC RX480. Should I flash one and compare them?

Not the point. It might not be stable and you won't be able to flash it back, meaning you're left with a dead card unless you physically flash the BIOS chip.

If you don't mind the possibility of bricking one, then definitely. It's a gamble but one you may win.

It doesn't have to be stable. I've flashed bios that wont let me boot on my 980ti. I just boot on the igpu and flash the 980ti from that.
I'm aware but unless the 480s are totally voltage unlocked you wont know how your specific card handles the extra volts. We don't have data regarding how the 480s do with the extra voltage so I'll never be able to prove my point which is that almost all of them will handle it fine. The only data we have is how they overclock in their current state, which I think(idk i asked before about this) is volt locked just like pascal

>I think the RX 480 is voltage locked
jesus fuck man, if you haven't got any idea what you're talking about don't talk about it

the 480 isn't voltage locked. you never asked if it is, you assumed it is because pascal is. stop being an asshole

It appears that before this bios was available you still had to flash the bios to get to 1.4v on the 480 so stop being a moron

y'all are fuckin autistic

They never said it wasn't a refresh.
AMD was very clear that it's a refresh, in fact.

What a nothing of a post. Seeya.

>on Sup Forums
>calling others autistic
hmm...

>Seeya
Now THAT is autism.

That's because it damages the silicon, you thundercunt. Most overclockers don't go above 1.3 volts because it will burn out the card. If you're just chasing an overclock, sure you can overvolt the shit out of the card, but it isn't practical at all. You're giving advice to people that will ruin their cards. Fucking stop it. You don't know what you're talking about.

also
>thinks a voltage limit = voltage lock
it's like I've been saying the whole time, you have no sweet clue what the fuck you're talking about and it's a miracle things like fuses and circuit breakers were invented to protect retards like you from electrocuting themselves, burning down their house, or bringing down the entire fucking electrical grid

You're so wrong. Reading about people running at 1.4v on a fucking REFRENCE COOLER LOL

Not him but just stop idiot. You don't know what you're talking about. Go back to Sup Forums with this crap.

I'm going to do this and sell my rx480 as a 580 and put it towards a real video card like a 1080ti or maybe Vega if that shit ever comes out.

What crap? That flashing a bad bios is trivial to fix and your 480 isnt gonna blow up? I bet you don't root your phone because verizon doesn't like it

>rooting phone
>comparably to an over-OC
fuck off Sup Forums

>mfw this is literally just downloading a new graphics card
I'm dying over here

>its totally not a rebrand guys we promise
No one said this.

No. It's like a really good bin + new driver.

This shit again?

>muh refresh
>muh revision
>muh power optimization
>muh polaris 20 =/= polaris 10

Thats not true, AMDfags shill this card so hard

I have a red devil 480, should I try this?

There's no real benefit in this though.

Fuck off.

>It's ok when nvidia does it!!!

NVIDIA did it more often though.

no you risk damaging your card for 3-5% performance boost

It has dual bios though, can't I just swap it back?

> >its totally not a rebrand guys we promise
Said nobody ever.

You can't swap back a burned die

You get literally ZERO performance boost, it just unlocks additional voltage profiles you retard. 580 performs better due to more efficient cooling solutions and manufacturing process.

stop being rude retard
you get more performance because you get higher clocks and more voltage "stock" as well as higher temperatures and your card may not be able to deal with it

even if it will work the card may take damage over time

Bios will not magically enable 480 to achieve higher clocks, it wasn't voltage bound in the past.

AyyMD

So when is Vega supposed to release? Seems like they keep pushing it back.

HAVE MERCY

i bought a rx 480 2 weeks ago, should i return it and buy a 580?

Why mess with bios when you can overvolt/clock manually?

computex may 30

if your retailer lets you, absolutely

pfff no what for?
unless you paid more than what 580 cost

Just wait it will come!

Unless you didn't unbox it you can't return it

nah the store lets you return shit even without the box.

The 580s can overclock higher, meaning they have better physical properties. It's the difference between stepping levels on a CPU.

>Rx 580x is just HD 7970 rebranded 5 times

The red devil has a terrible PCB that just barely handles stress tests.
Upgrading the BIOS on that will almost definitely fry it.

Eh. While new stepping can happen there, it's still can be compatible with old BIOS. No need to spend money on software redevelopment, AMD hardly can pull both CPU and GPU divisions.

>680 to 770
the 770 was cheaper
>480 to 580
these two are in the same price range

>computex may 30
Is that month and year?

Because 580 are bigger numbers than 480 XDDDD

so amd is going to be in serious trouble in 2027 ?

is the same possible with Rx460/470?

>people bios flash their 480
>it breaks after few weeks because voltage
REEE I WILL BUY NVIDIA NOW

The 400 series is fine wine now rite guys?

TRIPS LIE

hey you autistic retards.... Intel has given money to ayymd mutiple times so they won't get fucked and labeled a monopoly

Stop making an excuse for a fucking a company you have parts in.

just buy what is best suited for you regardless of who fucking makes it.

Not the 460

Is there any material where they specifically told "it's not rebrand/rebadge/rehash"?

>implying shills care about facts

Oh, sorry, move on then.

So Ryzen is the obvious choice then.

At least that’s not a 780

Delete this

He's right. I flashed 5870 BIOS to 5850 and overclocked it, only lasted a month.

the 580 is still a good card
rebrand or not, doesnt matter

good price/performance