I noticed that over the past months many people...

I noticed that over the past months many people, mostly newfags started to take the Belgium is a non-country meme way to seriously. So for those who are interested I'll explain a bit how this country actually exists.

See, during Middle Ages people cared less about linguistic similarities and more about religion. Today's Belgium, known as the Lowlands back then we predominantly catholic and really stuck to it, while the Netherlands slowly became Protestant (except for North Brabant which was already part of the United Provinces by the start of the War of the Spanish succession, and Dutch Limburg which got divided like Luxembourg was, only for spite and lulz). After these regions became Dutch we started to get oppressed by the Nederkanker, pretty much putting everyone together. Hence why the Brabant Revolution happened in 1789 and created the United Belgian States, long before the big European powers acknowledged that there could be a nice small buffer state.

With the creation of Belgium as a kingdom another problem, the preference of French over Flemish, appeared. This, together with 19th century visions of nation states slowly degraded the relationship between Flemish-speaking and Walloon/French-speaking Belgians, even though many regions had been bilingual for centuries. WWI and the German propaganda finally pretty much killed the former common spirit between Belgians, making up what we know today as the non-country.

I hope some genuinely interested people understand the whole situation a bit more now, I'll be dumping pics of Belgian cities in this thread now

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valloner_i_Sverige
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium_in_World_War_I#Flemish_identity
youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zwt7TvXBY
youtube.com/watch?v=dranqFntNgo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontpartij
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Belgians are literally the source of all evil in this world.

>From January to July 1994, prior to and during the genocide, Ruggiu worked in Kigali, Rwanda as a journalist and producer for Radio Télévision Libre des Mille Collines (RTLM). Ruggiu had no experience in journalism and did not speak Kinyarwanda.[2][6] RTLM was one of the chief sources of extremist Hutu propaganda, broadcasting twenty-four hours a day and openly exhorting its audience to kill Tutsis and "disloyal" Hutus. Ruggiu personally wrote and broadcast much content of this nature, relentlessly egging on his listeners that the "graves were waiting to be filled".[2] Ruggiu personally broadcast programs inciting Hutus to commit murder or serious attacks against Tutsi rebels, whom he called "cockroaches".[7] He also encouraged persecution of these Tutsi, and moderate Hutu and Belgian citizens in the area.[1] Airtime filled by Ruggiu accounted for approximately 8% of RTLM's broadcasts.[8]

>Ruggiu
Nice Sicilian diaspora we have here, I fully agree with you

tl;dr

All i know is that Belgium is a non-country that should not exist.

I appreciate your bump Jamal, have a nice day

>a serious, well-constructed thread made by a Belgian
Nigger what the fuck are you doing

Mein Name ist nicht Jamal, dummkopf

I'm starting to get sick of posting anything at all since you guys started to complete fuck up our reputation with those bad memes. I completely understand you're only here to shitpost, but most people can post under a flag without derailing everything. Thanks to you guys it's not possible anymore for us Belgians, nowadays I even use a Hungarian proxy to post normal shit.

>Dummkopf klein geschrieben
>nennt andere Anons Dummkopf
Könntest besser dran sein, mein Freund

In bruges is one of my favourite movie, and it really made me want to visit, it looks like a wonderful city.

Also Belgian cinema is god tier.

Ich spreche kein Deutsch, mein Freund. Så är det ;-)

Could be better, there's a lack of new people though. I shouldn't be even mentioning it since I wanted to do cinema studies but never did because I'm fearing living on the street someday.

I pretty much got it, but I was surprised you paid attention to the capital letters except for the insult. It's even weirder if you took it from a translate website.

I know the words, but my spelling is very bad so i check on Google translate. Such is life when you fail German in school ;-(

I never had real German classes desu, since I left Luxembourg in my childhood. I liked the language a lot so I started reading news and browsing the internet in German, so now I'm pretty much fluent in it. Consider reading German news too, it honestly helps a lot with this kind of languages.

>This is the same Belgian who was posting nice photos of his country after asking Sup Forums what they thought about Belgium a while back
>Same photos too

I'm going to say the same thing I said last time. You guys game me Tintin and XIII, and Belgium looks like a beautiful place to visit. Somewhat a country/10. The incompetence with terrorism is the only complaint I got with you guys.

I haven't been on Sup Forums for a while now because of the memes, so I haven't saved new pictures since last time, sorry lad.

I pretty much agree with you on the terrorism matter, and otherwise thanks m8, I appreciate you like our comics.

Well, in Sweden you are more or less forced to "learn" german, the alternative is spanish or french, so everybody picks german.

I don't see there is any meaning to learn one more language t b h, swedish and english is more then enough.

I've heard a lot of good things from Belgica though ... but I don't know if you could consider Van Groeningen new people. Not really, I guess ... it always takes some time for new people to emerge.

>this entire post
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

In France they have the similar problem, they can chose between Spanish and German and most people learn Spanish.

>I don't see there is any meaning to learn one more language t b h, swedish and english is more then enough.
I agree with you actually, but since I love languages a lot I also enjoy learning them, like autistic pic related. Languages tell a lot about a country's history, and I'd find it sad to someday see everyone speak English only.

Van Groeningen had a rough start imho, he got late into the game. I do like his work too though. Belgica is an okay film, but I'm somewhat biased since I can't stand Sam Louwyck at all despite he being a good actor.

thanks for you input inbred potato rapebaby

DINDU NUFFIN

How many language can you then?

Also, i never speak english. And i never use it in my everyday life.

>tfw I'm dreaming of a Belgium where everyone speaks both languages perfectly and where the language border doesn't exist
a man can dream

I speak five languages well enough and a sixth (Spanish) semi-correctly. I'm trying to get better at Dutch though, since I'm really bad at it I don't consider speaking it. Also I'm learning several languages, but since I'm a lazy fuck I don't really get better over time or I get stuck with the basics at some point.

Would be nice to see that happen someday, but since we got the language border it won't change anymore.

Tried swedish? Or any other scandi language (they are more or less the same written)?

This
Disgusting shitskin hell hole

I tried Danish for some time and I actually enjoyed learning it, but since it's not that relevant and it's hard to find native speakers around here I soon lost the willpower to follow up with learning it. It helped me a lot understanding Scandi shitposting tho.
Is it normal that I find spoken Swedish much more difficult to understand than spoken Danish? I always had a hard time understanding you guys for some reason, but much less understanding Danish people.

t. Flüchtlingsheim

Shit language (Flemish), shit weather, shit industrial towns, shit history of genocide and diamond smuggling, but my, does Belgian historic architecture make my eyes water.

yea man, thanks for that

the shitty industrial towns are slowly recovering, even absolute cancer like Charleroi

Belgium is together with the Netherlands literally an artificial buffer state resulting from diplomatic negotiations with the goal of avoiding control over the Rhine and its delta by a single country out of the two main rivals of the UK: France and Germany. Be quiet you unholy bastard child of Albion.

>Is it normal that I find spoken Swedish much more difficult to understand than spoken Danish

I had the opposite experience, after learning mostly written danish, i am able to understand norwegians and swedes with ease but danes can still be incomprehensible at times

No

youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

this

>Shit language (Flemish)
fuck you, girls speaking flemish is the cutest thing ever

Tell me honestly, what way is your language border shifting? North or south?

When will you do your patriotic duty and sign up to remove baguette from Brussels' southern suburbs, user?

>video
lmao that accent. Can even native english speakers understand what they're saying?

The display of autism is appreciated, but you are still a non-country. It takes you guys ages to get anything done politically because you're basically two countries in one; you're nothing more than the miniature version of the EU.

I personally have nothing against the people living in Belgium, but your country is a joke.

Maybe Belgium could actually add something to the world if it didn't have to invest so much energy into justifying its existence.

What's up with Swedes being so butthurt about Belgium? Don't you know that without us your industry would be literally slav tier nowadays?
sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valloner_i_Sverige

Perhaps it's because I'm much more fluent in German than I am with Dutch. I find it really less difficult to understand Danish.

is that what Sup Forums calls a real cuck, literally saying that his language is meaningless shit? Also that looks like a sketch tbf

Maybe after the next vidya

What the fuck just happened, did Sup Forums break over the past ten minutes or something

You mean right now? Not at all, but wealthy French-speaking Belgians are settling down in the Brussels suburbs which became solely Dutch-speaking after the 1960s. That's more of a bureaucratic problem though, the Brussels agglomeration extents the capital region by a large margin and it can't be changed nowadays because of the (understandable) hate by Flemish politicians.

I'm not Belgian, I just thought some people might be interested by some actual information about other countries on Sup Forums.

Yeah, posting has been difficult. Has been happening a lot in the past few days.

The dutch were better t b h

>Also that looks like a sketch tbf
Nähä?

Belgium is literally the worst colonial power to ever exist
They will fuck up central african politics and countries forever
They will fuck up european politics and countries forever

Shut up françoise. French provinces don't deserve any respect.
Even based Nigel said it.

>WWI and the German propaganda finally pretty much killed the former common spirit between Belgians

I would have thought that an external enemy would bind the two together more strongly

As far as I know, much of the animosity stems from Wallons basically leeching of the Flemish economy

vlaanderen should be dutch
walistan should be astroturfed
eupen is cute

all in all, not a country

It's not so much that it's a non-country, simply that it's quite embarrassing

I don't want to defend glorious Leopold II's politics at all, but pretty much every colonial power fucked up what is now the entire continent.

>Colombia

>I would have thought that an external enemy would bind the two together more strongly
The Germans preferred the Flemings in both world wars, and in WWI they pretty much fueled the Flemish independence train.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium_in_World_War_I#Flemish_identity

>As far as I know, much of the animosity stems from Wallons basically leeching of the Flemish economy
Especially since the Walloon economy was leading until the 1970s and the biggest movement was carried on in the 1960s, right?

>Colombia
>Based Nigel

wew lad

link

tb.h I love my country, I'm just sad that we're a literal joke here on Sup Forums because of shitty memes. I don't even know people who want Flemish independence, just most people want to have regionalism prevail as long as the south doesn't get its shit together. Especially shitholes like Charleroi

youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zwt7TvXBY

How is Leopold II handled in schools and overall in Belgium history?
Is denying belge actions in Congo illegal in Belgium?

Thank you for the thread OP. I don't know much about Belgium so it was informative. Have a nice day

It's progressing slowly, but Hainaut and Namur still are a lot behind.

>How is Leopold II handled in schools and overall in Belgium history?
We learn about the atrocities he committed, but we also acknowledge that he "did a lot for the country", which is technically true but at a gigantic cost. Remind me that there's a statue of him in my town saying
>"I have undertaken the work in the Congo in the interest of civilisation and for the good of Belgium."
which is quite hilarious tbf.

>Is denying belge actions in Congo illegal in Belgium?
Nah, but as I said people here acknowledge what happened and don't cover it. We just aren't cucks like Germany, forever being sorry for something our ancestors 130 years ago did.

>You mean right now?
Uh no, i realize it is not a border thats continuously in motion.
How about the last 20 years?

youtube.com/watch?v=dranqFntNgo
The EU it's belgium's wet dream of being dominated by a big, strong bull

>Bells and gums

>WWI and the German propaganda finally pretty much killed the former common spirit between Belgians

youd think that things such as flemish speakers having to speak french to defend themselves in court or flemish soldiers only getting their commands in french in battle when they couldn't understand shit would be a reason

>The Germans preferred the Flemings in both world wars, and in WWI they pretty much fueled the Flemish independence train.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium_in_World_War_I#Flemish_identity

>Kossmann concludes that the German policy of fostering separatism in Flanders was a failure because it did not win popular support.

>was leading until the 1970s

We're in 2016. In the past there may have been different reasons for the Flemish to seek independence (such as the dominance of the French language)

The border hasn't changed since it was implemented and probably won't change anymore, otherwise the Belgian capital region would have been changed some years ago. The amount of communes that have language facilities for the other language could rise a lot though, especially around mentionned Brussels and even into Walloon Brabant since there are a lot of Dutch speaking people settling down there nowadays.

>literally spreading shitty leaf memes

>I have undertaken the work in the Congo in the interest of civilisation

And the monument is still standing with the million africans in the country? I'm a bit afraid for you guys

I was talking about the past reasons though, this is a history thread after all.

>Kossmann concludes that the German policy of fostering separatism in Flanders was a failure because it did not win popular support.
It didn't, but it sparked the creation of a much bigger movement for Flemish rights.

I don't have any idea why it still stands, the only thing I know is that it stands in a place nobody actually goes to, in front of a friterie. I myself have seen that statue for several years every day and only some months ago discovered about the citation because it's on the wikipedia page about Leopold II.

I rarely hear Flemish music, but this is probably the cutest Flemish accent I've ever heard.

belgian negroes are probably still scared

what the hell is that giant tent in the background on the right? Where is this?

luik...

It's the new Liège train station. Looks pretty nice irl, also it doesn't have walls

bumping

This is not about being able to build houses Belgium.

do you want me to dump belgian girls instead

I knew an exchange student in high school from the the German speaking part of Belgium. We had French class together, which I thought was odd since she lived in Wallonia. Is it a requirement to know at least French or Dutch in Belgium?

>It didn't, but it sparked the creation of a much bigger movement for Flemish rights.

How exactly? It seems like the Flemish movement within the Belgian army was more relevant than some propaganda

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontpartij

>If you are an American
Then yes, it's absolutely required.
>if you speak English correctly
Then no, you may save yourself.

I never said that the German propaganda sparked the whole thing, you're definitely right about the Frontpartij. I just said that the Germans definitely helped making it a bigger movement.

I also want to point out that Kossmann is the only historian who comes up with the failure, we had several classes about him at university. He isn't totally wrong about everything, but he's pretty much in the minority with his claims about how the German methods didn't do shit. Again I have no idea why that appears all over Wikipedia.

the German-speaking community lies within Wallonia, and both culturally and historically the region always was heavily influenced by French-speaking people. Technically you can only talk German since it's a national language, but unless you never leave your house or live in a remote hillbilly village you will have a rough life in this country if you don't know at least one of the largely spoken languages.

Also I'm off for today, good night lads. I'll be posting this thread once in a while from now on tbf

you should be ashamed for making this shit thread you fucking cuck

>that marvelous white people architecture
why are negros and towelheads are allowed to walk there?

Don't bother. They hear Nigel go spastic and go immediately in resonance mode.

Ask them why Switzerland, with its 4 languages, should exist.

We know we're in the top countries with an epic history and a long record of civilisation, going back to pre-birth of Christ days.

Therefore, dear compatriot, the gods smile at us, being a rich country, both financially and history-wise.

Ever sincce Nigel it wass like this, I've been posting hre for five years already.

Success breeds jealousy, don't let it get to you.

There are more German cities living up to that description that the whole of Belgium.

Do I have to remind you neighbouring countries about the amount of rabid muslims to have? At least we don't actively invite them like the Germans do.

Belgium is the greatest country ever.

Being Belgian is like being kissed by God.

stay jelly, neighbours

t. Bruggeling

>it's another autistic Belgian gets mad over memes episode

stfu bootleg holland

>We're real nation, you guys!

Belgium's main purpose it allow a path from Berlin to Paris and back again, just like Poland's main purpose it allow a path from Berlin to Moscow and back again; indeed, sometimes they can chained together to go from Paris to Moscow and back again.

Other than that, Belgium has no other purpose. It should be partitioned and the pieces allotted to the neighbouring countries.

Naw see the acquisitive Greater Powers (those that are not Holland) could not admit that it is Dutch turf. So then they defined this piece of land in Europe as "It is not France, but it is not Germany, and also it is not Holland" and the British and everybody applauded except the Dutch. Then they made up history to fit it.

Then, since it was the only country that was negatively defined by what it was not it was a solecism and needed a second example state. So they invented Luxembourg which is defined as "it is not France, but it is not Germany, but also it is not Holland and WAIT WAIT also, also, it is not Belgium."

Foo me go ahead foo me Brussels