Business OS

Let's say someone decided to release an operating system for personal computers that was designed from the beginning with the primary purpose of doing the most business.

What would it be like? What would you base it on?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru64_UNIX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hello fellow adult. I did a business at my work today.

Yes, but how do you maximize the business from within your operating system?

A better question would be if a country wanted to design it's own secure OS to protect itself from international espionage, what would it look like

A light-weight Linux distro. With a simple, snappy intuitive DE. With the bare minimum of software.

Internet browser, office suite, email client, file manager, video player that doubles as a music player. It should also make installing software easy. Simply run an .rpm or .deb and click 'Install'.

>What would it be like?
Something made by IBM.

there already is one: BeOS - BusinEssOS

No, that is a worse question. I want to make the business

Could Linux be too bloated for business? I don't care about fancy features like containerization, virtualization, network config, etc. The OS should only be focused on making the business as productive as possible

It would be like DOS

You mean like red star linux from North Korea?

It would be for workstations and it would be Red Hat.

GNU/Linux or BSD. The way to allow businesses to be productive is to give them as much freedom as possible. This means using all free software.

is 1% cpu usage on a single core and like 20mb of ram in use with a full lamp stack "too bloated" ?

Astra Linux

look up ISPF on google images
thats what mainframes use

It would have to be a forth system written directly on top of op codes.

Why would you need a custom OS to run business software?
Are you retarded?

depending on what applications they want to run on it, faildose or lincucks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru64_UNIX

client machines will be diskless
they load a small, static linux system image into RAM and boot from there
applications mostly accessed over SSH or Xpra, majority of work happens on the server(s)
this way, the client machine itself is inconsequential, no data is stored on it, nor is it personalized, it can explode, be replaced, and be back to where the other one was in moments

>they load a small, static linux system image into RAM
over PXE, i suppose i should clarify

>voltage spike
>entire business dies
boot from network disk atleast

i am talking about booting over the network

booting from RAM rather than directly off of NFS has the advantage of working during network interruption

Source based base system, like gentoo but with the package manager based in bash, and a sane binary package management system for when you want stuff done quick, like the extension Slackware has.

In short, Source Mage + Slackware, plus the linux-libre kernel by default, but with access to binary blobs, like the options Source Mage provides.

So [LX]ubuntu

containerization and virtualization are made mostly for server farms because it is too expensive to dedicate one computer for one user. network configuration becomes relevant once your business (whatever field it is) gets big.
salesmen will need a visual catalog to present their products, that makes their phone gallery application their main tool.
businesses needs tons of price lists of products from various vendors, so lets start with list management.

Most offices haven't really changed since the 80s. Even the "paperless office" turned out to be a meme that never came true.

We at least don't have memos anymore.

Can we go back to the emailless office?

>booting from RAM
May as well restore from RAM.