What was Firefox's big mistake?

What was Firefox's big mistake?

Not having a search engine to popularize your browser

Also being really shit

I thought that chrome comes preinstalled on some computers now.

>2002
epic

Trying to be a chrome clone.

SJWs

Their multi process support is shit
Their rendering engine is ultra shit

Software being fast is kind of a big deal but they're more occupied lecturing african girls about the patriarchy and shit.

can't beat the ad man

Firing Brendan Eich.

Too slow and klonky.

It was slow for a long time and only recently is starting to 'feel' snappy again.

not working

>4% edge
Wow, even when Microsoft makes it impossible for normies to uninstall Edge, they still don't use it

That's like sending out birthday invitations to the whole school and no one comes.

Not figuring out how to lower process size and loading times. Firefox has and probably still does run like absolute shit on low-end PCs. For a program to be successful it has to actually run well on every PC, and that includes toasters.

Really? I remember it the other way, Chrome being a bitch with my low end systems and Firefox running smooth on them.

>What was Firefox's big mistake?

they have an ancient codebase to work with versus chrome's relatively modern browser design, but the biggest issue is not having millions to throw at optimising every aspect of the modern web from getting the best proprietary (later open sourced) pdf viewers to optimising a javascript engines

besides, any good change mozilla try to implement into firefox is met with technology illiterate fucktards who harken back to the good old days where installing the wrong addon would add seconds to startup time and a non-insignificant delay into page load times along with cluttering up the profile folder needing a fresh restart every couple of months

(and don't get me wrong, not every change mozilla implement is good, most of it is shit, but firefox can't continue to stay in the 2008 era despite the fact they're going to remain behind chrome in the post 2008 era, so I guess you could say the biggest issue is that google has far more money to throw into making a more optimised browser)

dumb Sup Forumsacks bringing nothing to the table as usual

I guess the 6 years between chrome's release and the firing of brendan eich was all sunshine and rainbows for firefox users

chrome tends to have more overhead by being multi-processed out of the box which is probably worse on the lower end of the spectrum but most people should get a snappier experience with chrome

that said I've never had a problem with firefox even on 9 year old core2duo machines

Firefox is still the best browser available by far.

Though saying "the best browser" at this point is kind of like saying "my least irritating hemorrhoid"

Furryfox is still the only browser I know of that can be made to look like this: not fullscreen mode, tabs visible, but nothing else.

Every Chrome clone I've tried takes up 20%+ of my screen real estate for no fucking reason, and it can't be edited away.

I don't understand how normies use programs that waste so much of their screen space.

Destroying every selling point it had.
>addons
>apolitical
>not Chrome

Not being backed by Google, the sites that normies use 90% of the time, Google and YouTube, are plastered with "This site runs better on Chrome" ads.

Does "Firefox" include offshoots like pale moon?
It probably wouldn't make a huge difference if it did but I'm curious

Diversity quotas as a hiring practice.

FF is ME:A among browsers.

The actual reason firefox is very slowly losing users is chrome. It's difficult to attract users to your browser when chrome looks and feels better in every way.

Mozilla realizes the main reason firefox is so sluggish is that it's architecturally deficient, unfortunately to fix the inner-workings of firefox means removing compatibility with older technologies including addons.

Attempting to copy almost fucking everything that Jewgle Chrome did along with their version numbering system. Why bother using Firefox if it's attempting to be a shitty Chrome imitation?

Cause they focus on shit like this instead of improving the browser.

Performance and being able to not lag is what matters

Is this smartphones or desktops?

There was no real big mistake. Just that the competition had more resources, a huge software bundling push, and the most popular website in the world to advertise their browser.

Those fucking pinko liberals huh, tell ME, a red blooded MURRIKAN to eat fruit like some sissy? Yee-haw pardna, how dare they

Firefox can't stop the train to Shitown

Yeah, I'm sure that's it.

It's probably doomed anyway because Google has more resources and more talent working on chrome.

Other than that, I keep watching mozilla slowly killing off the only real advantage Firefox had, the customizability and the extensions.
What's the point of a slower of Chrome copycat with no real extra features?

W3Schools has a Western and desktop bias.
Firefox became irrelevant when mobile took off.

see pic related if you look worldwide and include mobile

Preinstalled chinese messengers, I don't want a bloatware installed on my computer. Works shitty, slower than chrome, causeless loads 30% of CPU.

>9% for UC browser
So currynigger users are at least about 9%, huh. Really makes you think.

>banana meme

why people keep saying that shit?
I know how to drive a car, monkeys don't. I don't need to follows they rituals.

Not being by google

Firefox had zero chance once Chrome came out because Google was behind it.

1) Gmail, Youtube, etc. all pushed it which convinced people to get it.
2) Google started paying third party installers (Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java, tons of other freeware) to bundle it. Automatically checked for install + default browser, dev gets a dollar if the user installs it.
3) Google had critical mass to work on Webkit and make it usable on Windows in a good browser and integrate with chrome services, plus the stability from per tab and only having separate PPAPI Flash in browser. This meant Chrome was more stable when you loaded tons of shit.

Firefox had too much cruft for too long, they took too long to get to a rapid release model, now Chrome is way ahead and they're trying to modernize the browser but they're removing appealing aspects of Firefox too e.g. XPCOM manipulation that allows the addons to go deeper, all to claim parity/easier addon port from Chrome. I think it will end badly for Mozilla if they have no real advantages over chrome and the browser just feels like an inferior version of it after the changes.

Mistake was stuck with Xorg while Chromium supports Wayland natively.

>I guess the 6 years between chrome's release and the firing of brendan eich was all sunshine and rainbows for firefox users
Actually yes, it was

Firefox 3 and Firefox 3.5 was a bloated slow piece of shit
After Firefox 3.5 and until Firefox 4 Mozilla
>successfully deCOMtaminated gecko,
>made firefox standard compliant
>made firefox snappy, decreased memory usage, fixed memory leaks
>made clever things with memory management, making it simpler and more secure, enabling better multithreading

After Firefox 4 until Brendans firing (orchestrated by sjw possibly under google's orders)
>switched firefox to a fast development
>continued the improvements to memory management, firefox became the slimmest browser while chrome became the leaky memory hog
>made firefox faster and for some time firefox was again the fastest compared to chrome
>spidermonkey, tracemonkey, jagermonkey became faster than chrome's v8
>firefox was fighting drm
>firefox was fighting against tracking (donottrack, collution/lightbeam, searching ways to deal with third party cookies and tracking)

But then sjw's orchestrated a fake crisis, fueled by fake tech news media and fired Brendan
>firefox adopted drm
>firefox backed up on privacy
>firefox bundled pocket
>firefox became slow and bloated again
>electrolysis is still not done
>now they are dropping xul and adopting inferior web extensions
>mozilla is caring only about politics

So yes, Firefox had become better than Chrome but thanks to SJW's and the firing of Brendan the progress stopped
I still think Firefox is better than Chrome is some ways but thanks to the current shitty Mozilla Firefox is being self-sabotaged

>what are user agents
people will always fall for it

this. Also FireFox developer edition is really good u guys should try it

>That's like sending out birthday invitations to the whole school and no one comes.

>in middle school
>invite people for my birthday
>one of the classes' rich kids decides to host an huge party on that day
>everyone goes there instead, no one came

T-too close from home user ;_;

Most of that is basically incorrect.

The javascript engine is still as fast as chromium's if not faster. It also supports asm.js and they recently added webassembly support for even better perofrmance.

>firefox backed up on privacy
Mozilla added anti-tracking blocklists to firefox, any feature that has the potential for user tracking is optional and not the default. For example geolocation doesn't send anything until you specifically allow it and can be permanently disabled in the preferences.

Mozilla supports DRM plugins in the same way they support adobe flash. They have the API available but no DRM comes with firefox and you have to specifically download it when it's requested.

>>electrolysis is still not done
It's rolled out to all channels, there's only a few locales and people with accessibility options that do not have it yet. They're currently testing multiple content processes, they just rolled out GPU processes which I don't believe chrome even supports.

Does this include mobile hits?

Because chrome is the default browser on smart phones, and Firefox isn't.

Most normies don't use laptops or PCs for internet browsing anymore, they just use their phone except for banking and shit.

Switched to chrome for stability and speed on desktop but use FF mobile because it supports unlocking even though it is way slower than Android chrome

*Supports ublock

Not focusing on performance.
It's horribly slow on OS X even on blazing-fast hardware.

But that looks like shit: the window buttons overlap the tabs bar.

On a Mac, there is literally no reason not to use Safari.

And still drag and drop only work on firefox. Safari and Chromium still can't do it.

Attempting to be Chrome.
Firefox started declining at around Firefox 4, when they switched to that ridiculous development schedule and started imitating Chrome.

>in middle school
>throw a huge party
>only one kid didn't come
>blames me for ruining his birthday

Firefox 29

>2) Google started paying third party installers (Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java, tons of other freeware) to bundle it. Automatically checked for install + default browser, dev gets a dollar if the user installs it.

This is what did it the most.
They got the 1000 toolbars crowd in one swoop and this boosted the shit out of their numbers. Before Chrome Firefox destroyed IE in every way yet IE was way ahead, why? because most people only use what was installed for them. Think of the sheer number of people using Firefox only because people like us told them to.

When Chrome was being bundled with EVERYTHING they got both the IE users others could never get due to not knowing any better and the Firefox users who were only using it because of a recommendation and did not care either way. Even I ended up missing a checkbox and ending up with Chrome installed once. No one was safe.

The real fuckup was panicking instead of deciding to keep on keeping on and ignoring the numbers shift.