/spg/ - Smartphone General - Honestly, It's Perfect Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
KGI: Galaxy Note 8 to feature dual-camera design w/ 3x zoom, Galaxy S8 selling better than expected
9to5google.com/2017/04/18/galaxy-note-8-specs-and-details/

Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Plus, SM-G955F) Smartphone Review [extremely detailed review by notebookcheck.net]
notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Plus-SM-G955F-Smartphone-Review.213438.0.html

Sharp announced the AQUOS R - Snapdragon 835, 5.3" WQHD 120HZ display, 22.6MP camera, IP68
sharp.co.jp/k-tai/aquos-r/

Samsung Galaxy S8+, Exynos 8895 vs Snapdragon 835 Benchmark Comparison
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_exynos_8895_vs_snapdragon_835_benchmark_comparison-news-24606.php

Samsung Galaxy S8 review: Simply irresistible
arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review/

Samsung Galaxy S8 Review: The Ultimate Smartphone?(Technigger)
youtube.com/watch?v=nNlTNE1y9DM

Samsung Galaxy S8 Review (Engadget)
youtube.com/watch?v=oV80crWY4HA

old

Other urls found in this thread:

f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.ligi.materialteatimer
gizdev.com/install-twrp-root-redmi-note-4/
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-4/how-to/guide-redmi-note-4-unlock-bootloader-t3517806
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/advanced/root
gsmarena.com/zte_blade_v8_pro-8504.php
gsmarena.com/zte_blade_v8-8501.php
xiaomiadvices.com/unlock-bootloader-xiaomi-mi-flash-tool/
techdirt.com/articles/20150211/05455029985/green-bubbles-how-apple-quietly-gets-iphone-users-to-hate-android-users.shtml
xiaomitips.com/guide/unlock-redmi-note-3-bootloader/
promos.samsung.com/infinitelyimmersive
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Disclaimer: I'm new to smartphones.

I've been trying to find a guide for rooting a redmi note 4. I found several different ones but it seems like each iteration of the phone has a specific guide for it.

f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.ligi.materialteatimer
gizdev.com/install-twrp-root-redmi-note-4/
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-4/how-to/guide-redmi-note-4-unlock-bootloader-t3517806

Only one of them has the guide for the Chinese ROM I think. Which one is the correct one? I have the MTK Helio X20 build.

I needed a new phone and my friend, an iOS app developer, sold me his iPhone 5 for $30. I like it so far, and it seems like I got a great deal, but how do I get it to play WEBMs on Sup Forums?

I'm not into tech, what's the best choice between 150-200 euros (Belgium) ?
So far I've found :
> Huawei Honor 5C
> Huawei Honor 5X
> Xiaomi redmi note 4

Any other model or brand I should check ?

reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/advanced/root

Zuk Z2, Le Max 2, Moto G5, Honor 6X, ZTE Blade V8.

Out of 3 - definetely Xiaomi

It's worth considering a Moto G because it comes with a fairly vanilla version of Android that just works™. Other manufacturers tend to customize Android in shitty way. As a bonus, you can be sure the LineageOS project will keep releasing new firmware for your phone even after the official support runs out.

Blade V8 Pro*.
gsmarena.com/zte_blade_v8_pro-8504.php

Not
gsmarena.com/zte_blade_v8-8501.php

You can download VLC and play them externally but it's really a pain in the ass

Welcome to the goody room

I see, so first I need to unlock bootloader so I can install TWRP and THEN I can perform the root process. Correct?

Fuck chinkphones.

So there is no way at all to watch them in Safari or Chrome or another browser? That's a shame. Even a website where I can paste the URL and watch it would be better than having to download the files.

Females are amazed when I pull this thing out.

That alone trumps any "Oh bixby isn't that useful" negatives that you can think of for this phone.

Wait until they see your green bubbles.

I should hope so for fucking, what, $900?? That's more than I spent on my GPU and CPU together. You're out of your mind.
t. $99 NIB galaxy s4 user

>My pussy when he has green bubbles

Boypussy doesn't lube itself

Deserts are legit sexy. These dune edges look sensual, almost erotic.

What's with the green bubbles gimme some deetz

Yes, you gotta unlock first.
xiaomiadvices.com/unlock-bootloader-xiaomi-mi-flash-tool/

Texture kind of looks like skin. That's probably why.

>being this new
>not only to Sup Forums but just fucking society in general

techdirt.com/articles/20150211/05455029985/green-bubbles-how-apple-quietly-gets-iphone-users-to-hate-android-users.shtml

I have no idea what they are either
t. Random guy

Everyone uses Whatsapp anyway

Not that you neckbeards with 0 friends would know lmaoooo

It would be perfect if
>it had removable battery
>it had gorilla glass 5 on the front
>it didn't have glass on the back
>it had ultrasonic fingerprint scanner placed in a reasonable location
>it didn't cost more than a fucking iPhone

It does have GG5 on the front.

Well, I must have confused that single detail with some other smartphone.

I also forgot to add:
>it didn't have a stupid dedicated button for an assistant nobody needed.

>t. Third worlder

Norway actually, with a bigger house, faster car and more money than you'll ever have ;)

I've had a smartphone for a few years and have never sent a text message and only use it on wifi. I have no facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat, tinder. Pay attention to me

Huh, I don't remember making this post yet here I found myself itt

Sorry, my bad. I should have said
>t. Third worlder in 30 years

dumb phoneposter

What you have, then, isn't a phone but a tiny, tiny tablet.

I've ordered a Redmeme 4 Prime

How much did I fuck up?

Heads up older gear vr does not work with s8.

Well fuck me.

Wait, what the fuck, apparently it already has fastboot unlocked? I tried doing the volume down + power on and the mascot with the fastboot text appeared.

As a retard, why do you object to posting on Sup Forums from a phone?

And it isn't bad at all

That doesn't mean anything, your'e just entering fastboot mode. you still need to unlock. apply for the SMS unlock permission first, it can take a few days.

Ah so I can't actually use it until I apply. Thanks for the clarification mate.

Just bought the OnePlus 3T. 9.8/10

10/10 if it was waterproof, but it's still the best phone in the price class by far. One of the best in general.

Yep.
xiaomitips.com/guide/unlock-redmi-note-3-bootloader/

>tfw waiting for s8

this is basically just a way of knowing what sort of people to avoid - not those with green bubbles, but those upset by them.

Fortune can play webm

The S8 Plus already has a 6.2" screen, how big is the note 8 gonna be?

Since xposed is kill, have you guys found any apps to get back some of the functionality you enjoyed with different modules?
Personally I am looking for an app which would allow me to switch music tracks via volume longpress, or any app that would allow me to map hardware keys, really.

give it back Jamal

That's Technigger's hand tho

WE

is there any brand android phone have some kind of adblock without root?

Use DNS66 or Adguard

I stopped buying samsumgs a long time ago because they used to stuff their phones with bloatware.

Do they still do that?

I feel inclined to upgrade but I don't want to get burned

any good phablets come out recently?
Been using a samsung galaxy note 4 for the past year or so.
Love the size, and the stylus comes in handy sometimes.
Should I get a newer versions?

What first world country are you in where people under 35 primarily use SMS instead of whatsapp/line/whatever?

Are you me? I also used to have an S2x (T989d, the Snapdragon version) that I used for almost 3 years before giving to my mom. She just recently caved to peer pressure and got an iPhone SE, so now the S2x has come full circle and is back with me. I'm thinking of installing Nougat on it just for laughs. Anyone know a decent ROM that would still support this ancient thing?

I find that more and more manufacturers are going for the vanilla Android look because why spend time customizing the whole OS when it's looked halfway presentable for years. He'll, my brother has a cheap Acer phone from Walmart that is almost stock Marshmallow, all Acer did was change some of the icons.

Ayo hol up *smacks lips*

When will HTC reveal their new flagship? They have some mistakes to enmend after the HTC U, which sucked everywhere.

Just got my S8+ and cover in the mail. Can't wait to get home.

of course, now they add Microsoft bloatware too

may 15

There's no bloat on Samsung phones unless you're an American and buy carrier phones like a fucking cuck.

>getting mine today
>case wont show up until tomorrow

probably not the wisest choice, but design wise oneplus x, zuk z2 (pro) is probably the better choice spec wise

>in tx
>ups package is in kentucky
REEEEEEEEEEEE

To be honest I could go and buy the S8 right now. However, I am still rocking a Note 4. No custom ROM, still running Android 6.0 official ROM. The camera is good, the display is 1440p, i-it's fast! and has removable battery with quick charge 2.0.

Like, there is no reason for me to do it, really. It would just be consumerism at this point. Fuck you Samsung, stop building such good looking phones.

S8 with all the functionality running stock android with Bixby button being remapable to anything (camera, for one) would be literally perfect.

desu i only upgraded because i finally got tired of my iphone 5s and decided it was time to get something with a larger screen

who /blackberry/ here?
I am hyped but that price tag is ridiculous, do you think the price will drop fast like it usually does with non apple phones?

>meme display
>looks like a black banana
>non removable battery
don't

>buying an unlocked lumia 950xl for 240bux

Can anyone convince me not to?

The only actual features I legit care about the S8 are QC 3.0, wireless charging, USB C, perhaps better antennas than the Note 4 and of course Android 7.1.

So how's the red tint totally-not-a-hardware-issue of the s8 that Samsung is refusing to fix/replace terminals for going?

What's the point of this post?

Why are you attentionwhoring?

Are you this salty about your cheap chinkshit?

>chinkshit

Alright, fair enough. Perhaps I didn't specify, but I'm actually talking about the Galaxy Note 4.

Why? Because this is a smartphone discussion general and I feel like it belongs here.

Had mine since yesterday. I see many people over at the carrier stores asking about it and being wowed by it. Trust me, you're going to love it.

just don't, I still use a S4 and would like to get a new one but I can't justify it, since it is still pretty fast even without root

When i get my Zuk Z2(non-pro) whats the first thing i need to do? I have flashed roms and junk before, but if someone here has already done the leg work on finding the best rom, recovery, root, etc.... junk, id prefer using that rather than trial and erroring(while adding tons of clutter to my google account, since each rom acts as a new phone that cant be removed from the list of other fails iv done with my previous mlais and doogee phone)

Mostly looking for a very minimalist, stable rom. Dont care too much about fancy new gimmiky features(though id like the home button to still work, with the swipe functions. Think i'll keep using it over a navigation bar) so long as the phone does not crash or spazz out.

Got a question concerning Blackberrys.
I like the A E S T H E T I C of the Bold 9900 the most and they seem to go for dirt cheap, but it is probably obsolete by now, right?
Just need a safe (botnet free) phone to browse Sup Forums, listen to music and use whatsapp with

I want to know this as well, I can get a blackberry with BB10 very cheap but I have no idea if they're secure or not

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X, can someone suggest me a good screen protector glass that I can find on Amazon (even better if Amazon.it)? I've seen by the reviews that a lot of those suck.

I would like to upgrade from a Galaxy S4 to a Moto G5 Plus.

Many say that the camera isn't great on the G5 Plus. Is that right? And if so, is it still better than the S4 one?

it is, just use open camera, g5+ has pixel sensor but shit software

Asked in the last thread but no replies

Is the X compact a worthwhile an upgrade from the Z3C?

or any phones up to 5 inch around the £200 ~£250 range?
No chinkshit please

say, should i bought 8 inch or 10 inch phone for reading books?

S8+ comes in tomorrow.
What should I do with my Nexus 6? I'm torn between using it just to watch movies or giving it to this qt Portuguese grill I met on interpals.

Dedicated jacking off machine

>giving it to this qt Portuguese grill I met on interpals.
pls don't, use it as a phone to take to places where you may get it stolen, like festivals or whatever

Is it a bad idea to get a Galaxy S8 today?

Today's the last day for a free gear vr and $100 off at best buy.

they are regular apps on playstore that do it but I preffer the xposed variation, fug I'll miss xposed

How do I claim the free Gear VR?

>mfw im actually excited to try VR

Went from z3c to xperia x and than downgraded to xiaomi redmi 4 pro - no regrets.

Couldn't live with how shitty wifi was on xperia x. Hope you'll have more luck with compact.

promos.samsung.com/infinitelyimmersive

Me, too. But I looked it up and Gear VR has no game.

>promos.samsung.com/infinitelyimmersive
But you need the IMEI address... but the phone doesn't get here until tomorrow

yup.