Is there an advantage to using a 64 bit browser? As someone running a 64 bit system...

Is there an advantage to using a 64 bit browser? As someone running a 64 bit system, would I benefit from using the 64 bit version of firefox?

Pros/cons? I'm interested to see what Sup Forums thinks.

Use all of your ram

Yes, see: >

that's not 32 vs 64bit. That is mulithreading vs single threading

64 bit is twice as fast as 32 bit

On Linux the system is usually one or the other but not both. Using 32bit would mean basically downloading an entire other OS plus it's an unneeded security risk. Windows ships with both subsystems regardless so there's no actual incentive to drop 32bit other than performance

Besides the obvious benefit of having more address space available, 64 bit also has more registers available, which could translate into a performance boost. You'd probably need to look at some benchmarks to tell the difference though.

>using firefox
>caring about speed
Something doesn't add up here...

Where on his post he mentioned anything about speed? Something doesn't add up because if you can't fucking read, much less add or subtract.

64-bit is a jewish meme which allows for programs to waste more memory forcing you to fall for >8GB meme

are you fucking retaredd or waht

>advantage != speed in the context of browsers apparently
>the current state of firecucks

In general 64bit is an improvement over 32bit. Pretty much just go with 64bit whenever you can.

To get more into detail:
64bit binaries are larger, using up to 33% more storage and memory. Normally this would be a complete negative but x86-64 adds 8 more general purpose registers and newer instruction set extensions to the ISA. If you target x86-64 your code will be more efficient than i686 compatible code which lacks those things. On systems with a significant memory bottleneck the additional registers and stuff doesn't affect performance as much as the additional memory usage. The 64bit binaries use up more cache and can negatively affect performance by quite a bit. In this one particular area 32bit is better but this isn't really typical on a desktop or even a laptop. More like an ancient netbook.

>implying speed is all that matters in a browser
>implying I even use firefox
Keep being a retard; it suits you.

Yes I am implying that. What is wrong with you that you have to reaffirm what I just said? What are you fucking gay or something?

are you? unless your google and host petabytes of bandwidth at a time you literally cannot justify a program to waste more than 2GB of memory on ones and zeros

pls dont ever post on Sup Forums again

the point is the 32bit would crash on using about 3GB ram.

Also there is some security stuff thats better in 64-bit, and we all want to ditch 32bit anyway

If you keep 100 tabs open, then 64 bit will make a day and night difference. Otherwise, not so much.

:^)

>i wrong but you gay
Out-fucking-standing argumentative skills, mate.

I fucked up the replying. Anyway, this was for you:

lol you can't even reply correctly, and you think your opinion about computers matters